Post Ride London 100 - time, thoughts & experience?

hatone
hatone Posts: 228
So how was it for you guys?

Came in at 4:15 despite picking and changing 2 flats on Leith hill and Box hill. Pace was pretty intense at the front. Oh well.

I thought the inaugural event was well organised for a 1st attempt with few teething problems.

I didn't like throwing my kit bag on the wagon hoping someone won't nick it. This was at 5:15 am. Supervision is needed.

The flooring by the wave starts was lethal - cleats don't mix and observed a few riders falling. In the wet it would be dangerous.

Closed roads was smooth and problem-free. Didn't experience any troubles at the front.

Here's to 2014!

Comments

• speshsteve
    speshsteve Posts: 352
    are the results up online yet?

Back at home now and overall a good experience, the novelty of riding through London on closed roads was great and some fast groups.
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    hatone wrote:
    So how was it for you guys?

Came in at 4:15 despite picking and changing 2 flats on Leith hill and Box hill. Pace was pretty intense at the front. Oh well.

I thought the inaugural event was well organised for a 1st attempt with few teething problems.

I didn't like throwing my kit bag on the wagon hoping someone won't nick it. This was at 5:15 am. Supervision is needed.

The flooring by the wave starts was lethal - cleats don't mix and observed a few riders falling. In the wet it would be dangerous.

Closed roads was smooth and problem-free. Didn't experience any troubles at the front.

Here's to 2014!

So had it not been for the flats, is it fair to say you would have averaged 25 mph?
    left the forum March 2023
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    speshsteve wrote:

Back at home now and overall a good experience, the novelty of riding through London on closed roads was great and some fast groups.

Results? I didn't think it was a race. Or is that because the commentators on the TV keep referring to it as a race?
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Anyone see any salabritees or Boris? Was he actually trying to complete the course in shorts, tshirt, bumbly bike and bmx helmet or just posing for the start?
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • speshsteve
    markos1963 wrote:
    speshsteve wrote:

Results? I didn't think it was a race. Or is that because the commentators on the TV keep referring to it as a race?

calm down...results in a sportive just means your official time, there was a neutralised section that I included in my Garmin so just wanted to know what my time is without this (4hrs 30 for me, no flats I don't think I could of gone much quicker!)
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • speshsteve
    doug5_10 wrote:
    Anyone see any salabritees or Boris? Was he actually trying to complete the course in shorts, tshirt, bumbly bike and bmx helmet or just posing for the start?

I passed him after a couple of miles and he looked finished...poor guy literally looked ruined and I just hope they kept the defribllator close by.
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    speshsteve wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    speshsteve wrote:

calm down...results in a sportive just means your official time, there was a neutralised section that I included in my Garmin so just wanted to know what my time is without this (4hrs 30 for me, no flats I don't think I could have gone much quicker!)

Wasn't really a pop at you, more at the BBC for keeping on about it being a race. Good time btw and well done. Gutted I couldn't ride today due to a broken collarbone from a recent race. The atmosphere last night at the Grand Prix was awesome so I can imagine what it must have been for you guys.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    doug5_10 wrote:

Precisely, he was at the start of my wave. Looked like he went for a balls out sprint at the sound of the horn!! I hope operation chisel-whip succeeds!!

Had an awesome time. Had one flat whilst towing my lot, then got left for dust! My only criticism is that the drink stands in the second half were poorly located and they lacked real food. Missed crucial stops and bonked @ mile 70~, legs never came back round after that. Was set for a sub 4hour - result was 4:26.

This is certainly the only sportive I can't wait to do again next year!
  • VeloPeo
    VeloPeo Posts: 23
    speshsteve wrote:
    doug5_10 wrote:

I passed him after a couple of miles and he looked finished...poor guy literally looked ruined and I just hope they kept the defribllator close by.

http://results.prudentialridelondon.co. ... AP&event=I
  • speshsteve
    VeloPeo wrote:
    speshsteve wrote:
    doug5_10 wrote:

http://results.prudentialridelondon.co. ... AP&event=I

good for him, i have new found respect for the chap.....chapeau!
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    doug5_10 wrote:

Boris joined the front of the start wave I was in. I thanked him and asked if he could 'jimmy' a conjestion charge fine, but I am not counting my chickens.
  • edewer
    edewer Posts: 99
    First ride I've done of that sort of length. Bonked at 60ish, but managed to pull myself together. Finished in 5:13 in the end. Obviously a lot of faster people about, but feel I did fairly well!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Great event, really well done. I can't believe how many "volunteers" they organized from charities to clap people along. There were stations of 2-3 people at least every KM. Plus, given all the egg throwing in the New Forest at cyclists by locals I was amazed by the warmness of the townsfolk who came out to cheer us on. Dorking was out in force as was Cobham. Really impressed. I think it must have stemmed from effective marketing/awareness. Good job - that Mick bennet guy really knows what he's doing.

Closed roads were great but I found it hard to bomb down the right hand side of the road - brain/preservation instinct told me otherwise...

I did a 4:15 for a 36.1 kph but I'll see what the official results say...

If anyone saw me, I had on very orange shoes and a white jersey with Sharpie signatures and positive messages written on it from friends and family.

Course was too boring to do it again. Overall decent value for money.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    Overall I thought it was fantastic and riding on the closed roads was brilliant.

I was aiming for sub 6 hours but went through Admiralty Arch onto The Mall with 1m40s left to go sub 5 hours. I was totally shot to pieces and dying on my arse but the noise was mental! The huge crowds shouting, cheering and banging on the hoardings gave me a big rush and my rubbish sprint got me in with 43 seconds to go - I'll never forget it.

Happy days.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    speshsteve wrote:
    doug5_10 wrote:

Passed Boris in Richmond Park and he left a good 35 mins before me and I'm not in the slightest bit quick. So much for chiselled whippet, more like overfed Labrador!

Thought the event was brilliant, fantastic organisation and none on the crowding on the hills people had been panicking about.

My start was literally to the minute I'd been told and the finish was very slick, the guy had my bag ready as he'd clocked my number as I approached...quality!

It felt. Bit weird riding on empty roads and for some reason, everyone seemed to stay on the left!

Let's hope I get a place in next years.
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    5h 23 for me

Thought it was excellent on the whole. Well organised, good crowds and the last couple of miles going down the embankment, Parliament square and on was really memorable. Rode back to East London in the end as the roads were still closed.

Only drawbacks were the lack of food variety and (as usual) the gel wrappers scattered over the road (around Wimbledon especially)
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Was there a requirement that you could set a certain pace for this one? I recall something about that earlier in the year when people were applying.

Having seen this on the TV today I'd be keen to have a go next year.
  • fsman
    fsman Posts: 112
    it was my first 100mile. Did it in 5.44 and very pleased with that.
    I live in London, and it was a real pleasure to be able to ride around london and surrey with closed streets. None of the usual stop starts for traffic lights.

Leith hill got a bit squeezed, too many struggling people backing everyone up, seemed like waiting for an accident. Perhaps they should have advised people to keep to the left if they are slower.

Thereafter, there was lots of drink stops, but no food available. Could have done with a few food stops around the leith hill/box hill point.

But a great day out.

PS - Anyone know what the empty foil bag which says you can hang up is for?
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    fsman wrote:
    it was my first 100mile. Did it in 5.44 and very pleased with that.
    I live in London, and it was a real pleasure to be able to ride around london and surrey with closed streets. None of the usual stop starts for traffic lights.

Leith hill got a bit squeezed, too many struggling people backing everyone up, seemed like waiting for an accident. Perhaps they should have advised people to keep to the left if they are slower.

Thereafter, there was lots of drink stops, but no food available. Could have done with a few food stops around the leith hill/box hill point.

But a great day out.

PS - Anyone know what the empty foil bag which says you can hang up is for?

+1 for the wierd bag thing? Never seen anything like it.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    My assumption is that it's a fluid container which you can hang off your saddle rail/bag.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. Rode round pretty much solo. Average 18.3mph according to Strava. Organisation was great except for the direction to the start. I got dropped off on the A10 and there were no directions at all except for one marshall who said take the 2nd right up the Kingsland Road. I was leading a peloton of about 30 riders at one point looking for the Olympic stadium! That was a problem that loads of us were concerned about prior to the day and our worst fears were confirmed. Apart from that it was brilliant to ride on closed roads with such supportive crowds. With hidsight I might have gone a bit faster in the first 40 miles but I wasnt sure on pacing and didnt want to run out of steam.
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    Excellent Sportive, first one this year and was great fun.

Did it in a smidge over 5 hours, chuffed with that. I put 6h 20 on the form after only having done a max of 52 miles prior to today. Think the tail wind back London helped!

As said, nice clear course for the most part, was a bit hairy at one point up Leith on a tight lane.

Only saw the remains of one crash on a clear wide part of Wimbledon, 3 chaps picking themselves up.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Also thought the start area would have been terrible in the wet. Start area needs urinals! And more toilet roll, don't they know what cyclists do last before a ride?!! :lol:

Thought I'd gone off too fast but managed to keep it going most of the way, little wobble on the way into Dorking after Leith but recovered ok. Was self sufficient on food except for high5 powder, of which there was none at my designated first stop at Pyrford, for some reason.

My target was 6 hrs, genuinely didn't know if I'd make it, but in the end I did 5:42 which I am chuffed to bits with. Giving it full gas up the mall was unforgettable.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Simon-R7
    Simon-R7 Posts: 59
    I think the was an excellent event, did it in just over 6 hours which i am chuffed with. Closed roads were amazing especially the finish up the mall. Definitely will try and get in for next year, the best event i have one yet!
  • Thought the organisation was excellent from start to finish. So much to go wrong logistically but it worked out seemingly hitch free.

No problems getting there at all either.

Saw a fair few crashes but that's cycling. Impressed overall, especially for a first time
  • pease
    pease Posts: 150
    My first sportive a d first centry. Previously only managed a solo 65.

The atmosphere was electric all the way round. Planned a 6/6:30 moving time. I managed 5:39, offical time 5:51.

The drink stops need to be more conveyer belt like. The one after box was carnage! Lots of random crashes from riders. Crowds were great in particular the guy with pom poms just before the mall .

Saw borris struggling on box hill but to be fair he had all the wrong gear.

Strongly considering doing it again but without he charity sponsorship issues.
    Insert witty signature here
  • I thought it was all very well organised right down to the weather.
    I have not seen my time yet but I definitely came 2nd as a pretty girl presented me with the Silver medal at the finish 8)
    Anyone know who won?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • The missus did some research on Twitter and apparently this guy had the fastest time - http://results.prudentialridelondon.co. ... AP&event=I

4hrs 4mins, don't imagine many did it a lot faster than that. Fastest woman was 4hrs 30mins.

I completed the course in 4hrs 51mins :) absolutely loved it, probably could have pushed harder up Leith and Box but was almost 2 hours over my next fastest ever ride so can't complain!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    edited August 2013
    Fabulous event. Such an amazing experience to cycle these roads with no cars and to have a crowd willing you on.

It's gonna take a few days to collect my thoughts.

The only downer for now was my 8am start time. My fears were realised come Leith Hill will people walking up 2 or 3 wide causing massive bunching and the odd faller.
    [EDIT: Oh, and my Garmin went bit wonky. Map looks fine but it's say 91miles???)
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    The missus did some research on Twitter and apparently this guy had the fastest time - http://results.prudentialridelondon.co. ... AP&event=I

4hrs 4mins, don't imagine many did it a lot faster than that. Fastest woman was 4hrs 30mins.

I completed the course in 4hrs 51mins :) absolutely loved it, probably could have pushed harder up Leith and Box but was almost 2 hours over my next fastest ever ride so can't complain!

Well, he was first over the line. And the ride London website is reporting that he 'triumphed'. But just because he was first over the line doesn't mean he was fastest, though he may be. And the organisers of all people shouldn't be reporting it as a race!!
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike