Mavic SLR and R-SYS wheel failure

1235»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lol - I did! I should have got spoke taping patented! Different reason though. And I still claim genius......!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Rolf F wrote:
    Lol - I did! I should have got spoke taping patented! Different reason though. And I still claim genius......!

Completely different purpose though, I only placed it to remind me which spokes I had replaced... I think your patent is on the application rather than the tape per se, so no infringement, 'mfraid... :mrgreen:
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

Completely different purpose though, I only placed it to remind me which spokes I had replaced... I think your patent is on the application rather than the tape per se, so no infringement, 'mfraid... :mrgreen:

I've left this with my lawyers. I suggest to you that had you not seen my genius, you would have replaced the spokes but then later had no idea which ones you'd done. And then where would you have been?!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Sorry to break the bubble Rolf, but I have been using masking tape for years, in fact it sits on the left hand side of my truing stand, between the Stans tubeless tape 21 mm and the bottle of 3 in 1 oil... :wink:
  • Same wheel, new problem... this time the hub "exploded", this time on the opposite side. Looks like the plastic clip failed, allowing the metal ring to be sheared, together with the hub cap...
    DSC_3272_zps9e2e73e8.jpg
    DSC_3273_zpsa4c6907b.jpg

The ring/clips seem to be easy to source, but does anyone know where to source the hub caps for a Mavic R-SYS in the UK? Part number is 99685301
  • Right OK... the nice folks at Behind the Bike Shed are going to order them for me from Mavic in France. Really recommend the outfit for all those impossible-to-find Mavic spares
  • I recently dismantled a pair of Classic Pros I had hanging around for years. I rode them very little as they kept going out of true. Had them sent back to Mavic, who trued and sent them back (at a cost) badly packaged, so they came back with bent spokes. When contacted they said they were crash damaged.
    Short story, after to and fro with them I gave up and left them in teh shed. 6 months later I thought about selling them...but the hubs had disintegrated (the lugs where the spokes attach had broken off...3 or 4 of them)...that was a few years ago, the wheels were maybe 18 months old at that stage, and had covered about 500 miles (in between all the spokes continually slackening off).

I would never buy Mavic wheels again, or any other Mavic component judging on their customer service and reliability of component.