New Trail/AM bike

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Any suggestions on a complete Trail or AM bike?

Looking for a good balance of value and quality frame for £2000-3000.

Like the look of Yeti, Lapierre, Transition, Nukeproof and Banshee.... Suggestions..?

Either 26" or 650b, not fussed about the new 650b craze...

Cheers

Comments

• danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    I really like the look of the new Giant Trance, Trance Advanced and Trance SX as reported on in this article on this site:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ook-38013/

They've upped the travel to 140mm (160mm for the SX) and gone with the 650B wheels. Look like mean trail busting machines. Dunno when they are out. If I had the cash I'd probably wait for one of these.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I really like the look of the new Giant Trance, Trance Advanced and Trance SX

Me too.
  • ej2320
    Good call, stocked locally so may be able to demo Giant.

Good value with the big brands but I love the look of the smaller brands like Yeti.

Not fussed about Carbon either I might add

Does anyone else think the 2014 Santa Cruz UK pricing is way too expensive considering the spec?..
  • ej2320 wrote:
    Does anyone else think the 2014 Santa Cruz UK pricing is way too expensive considering the spec?..

Yep... :wink:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • ej2320
    Hummmm... That Commencal looks nice, perhaps just a little too big and heavy...
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    With a 2-3k budget you could look at two bikes rather than one that has to be suitable for everything
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • ej2320
    It's a fair idea, but personally I'd rather get a good high spec bike rather than two
    Thanks for the idea
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The off the peg Santa Cruz builds are outrageously expensive. You could build one from a frame with the same components to the stock builds and it'd miles cheaper. They are shocking value and you'd be best off building from a frame. IMO when going for a brand like yeti, Santa Cruz etc its the best way to do it, the builds tend to be expensive and doing it your own way you can build it exactly how you want it. The new heckler looks like a great bike though I think you'd struggle to build up a Bronson or Solo for 3K, but you'd build a very nice heckler!
  • ej2320
    I've always liked the idea of building my own bike, so it could be an option...

I can get a (2012 I think) Yeti ASR 5 frame from LBS for around £1250 with a fox RP2 shock, so could build that up
    Otherwise it would be any 2013 Yeti frame or Nukeproof or 2014 Santa Cruz when in stock. Giant, Trek and Cube complete bikes are stocked locally too which is good value..

It's actually cheaper to buy a Santa Cruz from the US as Santa Cruz don't seem to think conversion rates apply to the UK. A Heckler frame is around £1400 but in the USA is $1300! ....:/
  • ej2320
    lawman wrote:
    The off the peg Santa Cruz builds are outrageously expensive. You could build one from a frame with the same components to the stock builds and it'd miles cheaper. They are shocking value and you'd be best off building from a frame. IMO when going for a brand like yeti, Santa Cruz etc its the best way to do it

Yeti isn't as bad, a new 575 with kashmina fork and rear 150mm with SLX and XT is around £3100, much better than a Santa Cruz but still not good value compared to the Big brands
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    i'd be very tempted by one of the new SC hecklers. the last version was greta, but the geo tweeks on this version look like it will make a whole lot more fun. not bad value when you compare it to something like the nuke proof mega am whic, iirc, is £50 more expensiv

i'd also be very tempted by one of these - can't see how you could get a better spec for the cash

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... ab-reiter2
  • ej2320
    I would certainly consider a 2014 Heckler, I don't mind the single pivot design as long as the shock has the fox CTD or similar to eliminate pedal bob. That goes for Yeti 575 and Orange five. In terms of frame only what brands should I look at? Obviously SC and Yeti...

Complete builds I will probably have to look at the big brands

I agree with the fact Canyon are great spec so I'd consider Canyon or YT Industries

The other option is 2nd hand of course, Im guessing lots of great 26 inch bikes for sale when people want 650b...
  • ej2320

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... 75-0-47464

They seem to like the Trance, some components can be swapped or the fork will be different on a higher spec model..
    But this new frame will be a really contender, can' t wait to see all the different models available
  • New Trance 2014 bikes and specs are up on the Giant US site. Not 100% on what bikes the UK gets though.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    ej2320 wrote:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... 75-0-47464

They seem to like the Trance, some components can be swapped or the fork will be different on a higher spec model..
    But this new frame will be a really contender, can' t wait to see all the different models available

If you look at the thumbnail gallery on the other link, there's pics of most models:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gallery/ar ... look-38013
  • ej2320
    Giant along with Trek and Cube will be possibilities due to the decent value.. Lapierre too

Any others? Transition look good but are a bit pricey

Frame only SC and Yeti...?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Rode most of them. Transition Bandit. Ridden a few since, still on the Bandit.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ej2320
    What sorta build you got? Cost?

No doubt it's a great bike but Im on a budget.. Do they sell frame only? Could build it with a nice 150mm pike
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes, they sell frame only, that's how I did mine.

If you do a search you'll find mine in the "Your bike" thread.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ej2320
    Looks like a nice build, undoubtably good on climbs but how does it manage tricky rocks and blacks?

Can you bud it with a 150mm fork?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Another Bandit fan here. Tried quite few bikes beforehand, Trek, Giant, etc ... and the Bandit was by far the best bike for me. Has really fun nature to it but also pedals really well and climbs well too. Really good all rounder.

I also built mine up from frame only had a bunch of nice components on my old bike that I transplanted over. The Bandit works pretty good at 150mm (temporally running some 150mm Sektors while my Revs get fixed). Slackens the front end out a little but its still gets up tricky climbs fine.
  • ej2320
    I'm seriously considering a frame only then building it..

A full build Bandit is around £3300 with decent spec, kashmina fox shock and fork, SRAM X7 and X9 ect ...
    Would it be cheaper to buy a frame for £1400 and build it up?

I noticed Titus El Guapo frame which is £800 with a Cane Creek DB air shock.. Are Titus any good or is it just cheap and poorly made?

Cheers
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    As much as I like Giants full sus frames I wouldn't buy a complete bike. There full builds are terrible value.
  • jairaj
    The El Guapo got a good write up here but I think they said it was on the heavier side and really needed to be ridden hard on steep technical terrain to make the most of it.
  • ej2320
    Ok, thanks for that El Guapo might be a bit too big for my type of riding

I'm really confused now to be honest, I think I'll wait for the 2014 bikes and just demo ones that look good
    Then decide from there if Im gonna buy it complete or build it, I don't have many tools so my LBS would end up building most of it...
  • jairaj
    Demoing is definitely the way forward. You'll be surprised just how different the bikes feel. Also everyone's preferences are different too.

You can do most the things on a bike with just a set of allen keys leave stuff like bottom brackets to the LBS if you don't want to get the tools.
  • ej2320
    I'm really convinced by the heckler and Bandit from what everyone's saying so may consider a custom build

My LBS tells me Transition will be making a 650b Bandit, shame cause the 26" parts will be going cheap since everyone's decided to focus on 650b
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Go for this year's 26" Bandit if you don't want 650B
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Worth checking out the evergreen Marin Mount Vision too. It's always been a devastatingly versatile machine.