Types of Overtakes

Comments

• dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Or what about the Never overtaking + dangerous overtake
    You're cycling along quite happily, a car comes up behind you ... they stay behind as you're approaching a bend. Around the bend you then reach a straight bit of road on which they could safely overtake on, for a good 30 seconds, but they wait behind until you get right to the end of it and overtake on the blind bend - usually with something coming the other way forcing the other car to stop and you to get cut up. I now take strong primary before reaching that bend. Had a few toots but at least no dangerous overtakes.

Or the overtaking horn pass, you hear a car behind. A glance over the shoulder and you see it indicate to move out and just as it gets along side you there is a long/loud blast on the horn, for no obvious reason.

Or the ultimate scary overtake - the Tornado overtake. You've just crested a hill, and cycling along a country road when out of nowhere a Tornado fighter comes screaming over head at what seems like a few hundred feet off the ground. They are ***ing loud when they are that low!!!! :shock:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Bottleneck overtake. Some halfwit follows you for a bit too long before eventually deciding to go for it but chooses to pass just as we're all going into a bit of road with a centre reservation that reduces two lanes to one with a fixed width, leaving the driver with Hobson's Choice of either squeezing me up to the kerb and getting a stare off me or aborting and following me through the next 120 yards a foot off my back wheel.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The bus driver overtake

This is when a bus decides to overtake you as you're both 20 metres away from approaching a bus stop (a double decker bus is about 13 metres long). There are two possible outcomes:

1. The bus manages to overtake seconds before it has to pulls in to the bus stop. It stops immediately infront of the cyclist giving them no time to brake and/or move around the outside of the bus - therefore cutting them up.

2. The bus doesn't manage to overtake but begins to pull in anyway because it is approaching the bus stop. Therefore it blocks the cyclist in and pushes them into the curb/onto the pavement.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The London Black taxi gesture and maneuver.

This is really an overtake but it is a gesture that precedes any maneuver performed by a cab driver.

[Insert any scenario in place of mine] You're coming down a hill and there is a black taxi on your left or right, despite your speed or distance from the black taxi, the driver has decided that he wants to take full advantage of the vehicle's turning ciricle. He therefore sticks his hand out the vehicle and regardless of what is oncoming from any direction at whatever speed (even emergency vehicles) they are expected to stop immediately because his car is incapable of waiting and will pull out regardless.

The London black taxi driver is also capable of performing the 'bus driver overtake', however they will perform the afforementioned hand gesture - and this, of course, makes it OK even if the gesture is made while the taxi is behind the cyclist before they've attempted to overtake.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    The one I most admire is the wing mirror clip overtake - this takes real driving skill by the motorist to hit you but not so hard as to break their mirror. Some of these skill-full overtakes are just luck as the motorist quickly turns left in front of you so you realise it was just them making for the left turn. About a year ago I had to punish a driver for his lack of skill as he took the left turn right in front of me - in order to punish him I had to follow and rip his wing mirror off - I explained to him as he looked on astonished that he must have damaged it when he hit me and the guy behind with it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Or the Learner driver pass ...

They sit behind you patiently whilst there are several opportunities to pass then as you approach a bend with oncoming traffic (you can see them over the hedge) you hear the LD's engine revving wildly as they start their panicked overtake. Ways to avoid this are to take to the curb or put your hand out in the traditional "wait" signal.
  • jacknorell
    jacknorell Posts: 62
    Jeez, just reading this thread is giving me heart palpitations...

Think I had all of these on a single ride yesterday.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    The undertaking overtake
    Despite you closely following another cyclist (about a car's length back) in the correct lane onto a roundabout to go right, the driver behind simply has to get past. They undertake on your left, then accelerate smoothly left to right in front of you to overtake the cyclist in front. Almost creating a reverse pavement pass combined with a punishment pass, the undertaking overtake is reserved for special drivers in small cars with fake exhausts.

Le Grimpeur
    Particular to mountain climbs, the driver will pull alongside, toot and shout encouragement whilst their companion offers a drink of water from a bottle, before accelerating away with a thumbs-up. A fairly rare overtaking move, it's a lovely variant of the Neanderthal pass.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Agent57 wrote:
    The Contraflow
    This happens when a car is overtaking someone coming the other way. Sure, he's giving them a lot of space, but wait... he's coming straight towards me!

+1

I never know what to make of people who seem happy risk a 100mph head on with 1.5 ton of metal in order to give me what is usually a reasonable amount of space. I feel like I ought to be grateful for the space, but I know that if they succeed in their death wish, it's likely to hurt me too...

I'd also add:

It's not overtaking when you're just passing a bike

Obviously you wouldn't overtake another vehicle on a blind bend, but passing cyclists isn't really overtaking which is why it's perfectly acceptable to go round blind corners on the wrong side of the road when passing.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Pass at a sensible speed, not giving it a bootful of throttle in the carpet. It's completely unnecessary and a lot of modern 'sporty' cars kick out an awful racket when it happens. It might sound cool inside your cabin but it makes me jump, and for doing that hanging's too good for some people.

No, let them get on with it. The noise may be a bit irritating, but all I really care about is that the overtake was safe. Remember that a polite driver who hangs back rather than tailgating before overtaking has a longer distance to cover when they do go, which means faster acceleration required to pass in the same available space. I'll take the noise over the tailgating any day.
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    The shotgun overtake. Some yoof in his pimped up mobile boots it to overtake (giving plenty of space most of the time) and changes gear at the optimal time to get a loud turbo pop just as he's level with you. Had a guy in a scoobie do it to me on a number of occasions now - still scares the crap out of me.
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Le Grimpeur
    Particular to mountain climbs, the driver will pull alongside, toot and shout encouragement whilst their companion offers a drink of water from a bottle, before accelerating away with a thumbs-up. A fairly rare overtaking move, it's a lovely variant of the Neanderthal pass.[/quote]

Had this a couple of times; reaffirms my faith. Despite being one of the grumpiest people I know, and having countless near misses (and a few that didn't miss!) It reminds me that we *can* have good banter with motorists. Sadly, just normally not in this country :|
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    In my internal monologue, I always think of a pre-overtake, where a driver will pull in before completing the overtake (often forcing you to slow down) as an Overtake, Shake & Bake. Oh well...
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I had a novel one recently, a very slow overtake that clipped my right wrist - I caught up with them and they were quite apologetic.
  • jimmypippa
    andyb78 wrote:
    Le Grimpeur
    Particular to mountain climbs, the driver will pull alongside, toot and shout encouragement whilst their companion offers a drink of water from a bottle, before accelerating away with a thumbs-up. A fairly rare overtaking move, it's a lovely variant of the Neanderthal pass.

Had this a couple of times; reaffirms my faith. Despite being one of the grumpiest people I know, and having countless near misses (and a few that didn't miss!) It reminds me that we *can* have good banter with motorists. Sadly, just normally not in this country :|[/quote]

I had one like that, in traffic, some students kept passing me (both of us with an average speed of about 15mph) with a squeaky soft toy waving to me, and then put it for a high-five position.

Made me smile.
  • I'll submit the if hes passing im going too overtake
    A car overtakes you with oncoming traffic present, but far enough away not to be a drama. However, three cars behind him decided as he went, there must be room for them too. Best experienced with an emergency stop and confused drivers sitting nose to nose with a 'this is a total shock to me' expression.

An odd one from last night, I'll call it the just hanging out
    Car passes, loads of space given, fully in opposite lane. carries on past for several car lengths hanging around in the opposite lane. Finally pulls back in with inches to spare from oncoming traffic.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    andyb78 wrote:
    Le Grimpeur

Had this a couple of times; reaffirms my faith. Despite being one of the grumpiest people I know, and having countless near misses (and a few that didn't miss!) It reminds me that we *can* have good banter with motorists. Sadly, just normally not in this country :|
    Had that from a couple of MILFS that sat behind for 1/2 mile before passing wide with smiles and thumbs up.
    Made my day. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • I'll submit the if hes passing im going too overtake
    A car overtakes you with oncoming traffic present, but far enough away not to be a drama. However, three cars behind him decided as he went, there must be room for them too. Best experienced with an emergency stop and confused drivers sitting nose to nose with a 'this is a total shock to me' expression.

Oh yes! This one. Especially on approach to a traffic island. One car overtakes and I'm thinking "ok that was close but ok" next one overtakes nearly taking off my front wheel, despite me being in primary.

Comes from the notion "bicycles are slow" == "bicycles are stationary compared to me", therefore they treat it as if the car in front has overtaken a stationary object, completely failing to take into account the bicycle is approaching the obstruction too. In addition to this failing to realise there isn't enough room for the bicycle and the car through the narrowing.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The "Hiya mate" overtake. Or the semi-grimpeur

Got this, this morning. Minding my own business and a car pulls alongside whereupon the driver starts waving , smiling and shouting something. The brain kicks in and you realise it's a fellow forumite saying "Hello"

Morning Dave :D

(semi-grimpeur 'cos there was no bottle)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Those traffic island ones are the worst, best to move in to the middle of the road as you approach them if nothing immediately behind you.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • There are only 2 types of "overtake"

The overtake

Vehicle passes cyclist; either dangerously or not, doesn't matter, they're past and out of the way, no-one is hurt.

The non-overtake

Accident! Cyclist usually ends up in hospital and in extreme cases, death.

Every time I get in my car and drive any distance, it's scary how many dangerous manoeuvres you see drivers make, especially on the motorway when the traffic is fairly heavy but moving steadily (about 50mph), you get the undertakers, the overtakers, then the jams thanks to two of them being muppets and crashing.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The Waiting-To-Be-Thanked who nearly has an accident of his own. Had one last night down a country road, he did everything right by hanging back till it was reasonably safe (I'd have gone) but he was still busy looking in his mirror to see if I'd acknowledged him (had) when an oncoming truck appeared causing him to do a decent swerve left to avoid a head-on. Tssk.

The Bloke-From-Work-Who-Knows-Me-So-Its-Ok-To-Make-Me-Jump-Out-Of-My-Skin overtake. Had this a few times. A bloke from work, passes me and imagines that it's a good idea to have his window open as he passes shouting witty, funny, abusive or helpful advice as he passes. Asking him not to the following day seemed to work after a few tries, the last of which involved standing on his toes and holding him by the shirt buttons whilst explaining that it's neither funny, big nor clever so how about you give it a rest. Burk.
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    CiB wrote:
    The Bloke-From-Work-Who-Knows-Me-So-Its-Ok-To-Make-Me-Jump-Out-Of-My-Skin overtake. Had this a few times. A bloke from work, passes me and imagines that it's a good idea to have his window open as he passes shouting witty, funny, abusive or helpful advice as he passes. Asking him not to the following day seemed to work after a few tries, the last of which involved standing on his toes and holding him by the shirt buttons whilst explaining that it's neither funny, big nor clever so how about you give it a rest. Burk.

Get this from a couple of people I work with, too. "Bloody cyclists", "cyclist w@nker", all highly amusing stuff. The delicious irony being one of them is now serving a decent ban for drink driving and, as he lives in the sticks, has to rely on a bike to get around.

Rob
  • jimmypippa
    The "Hiya mate" overtake. Or the semi-grimpeur

Got this, this morning. Minding my own business and a car pulls alongside whereupon the driver starts waving , smiling and shouting something. The brain kicks in and you realise it's a fellow forumite saying "Hello"

Morning Dave :D

(semi-grimpeur 'cos there was no bottle)

Got that this morning:

A completely random WVM overtook slowly and shouted "One minute thirty, mate" and had drawn "1:30" on a sheet of paper which the passenger was holding up, and giving me the thumbs up.

I have no idea what that could refer to as I don't think I wast fast enough for that to be a kilometer time.
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    Got that this morning:

A completely random WVM overtook slowly and shouted "One minute thirty, mate" and had drawn "1:30" on a sheet of paper which the passenger was holding up, and giving me the thumbs up.

I have no idea what that could refer to as I don't think I wast fast enough for that to be a kilometer time.
    I assume that's the time the peleton were behind you.

Makes a very nice change from some of the things shouted from White Vans.

He didn't offer you a sticky-bottle?
  • Got a new kind of overtake this evening .. slow overtake and then sit ahead a little so that you can draft them. Thanks for the offer but was on a TT so not really an option. Any other time and it would have been appreciated .. thanks for the offer :D

There are some good ones out there ..
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • ManiaMuse
    ManiaMuse Posts: 89
    edited August 2013
    'The do-si-do'
    Driver must overtake even though there is a queue of traffic immediately ahead. You swing round the back of them and re-overtake them on the driver side to complete the manouevre.

'The bollard (non)overtake'
    Driver must overtake now even though there is a pinch point followed by clear road afterwards. Driver pulls alongside you but doesn't anticipate your superhuman speed and does an emergency stop accompanied by squealing brakes to avoid the bollard. Bonus points for hitting the bollard.
  • [
    I assume that's the time the peloton were behind you.

That's actually quite clever! Although better done using a blackboard and a motorcycle!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Steamroller, this is a combo of the Mark's Goldfish and DDD's the bus driver

Articulated HGV passing (usually uphills, where perhaps I am faster than they think, or they accelerate slower than they think) and they pull in so that if I stay where I am I will be ideally situated for a steamrollering by the trailer wheels.

This happens so often in one place on my commute that as soon as I see an HGV passing I stop pedaling as it's Foo kin scary!

Secondly I present the Farm 4x4 they pass at a reasonable distance forgetting the trailer on the back is 18" closer to the cyclist than the towing vehicle - not one that I suspect will be seen in London as the farms round Chelsea don't require their tractors to tow anything (other than perhaps skidoo's!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    This happens so often in one place on my commute that as soon as I see an HGV passing I stop pedaling as it's Foo kin scary!

This is wise, even when driving a car it's recommended practice to ease off while you are being overtaken, to allow the overtaking driver more space to slot back in.