Cyclingnews' forum

thomthom
thomthom Posts: 3,574
edited August 2013 in Pro race
Surely they aren't a week about doing some maintenance, starting in the middle of the hardest week the Tour has seen in years.

Did someone's lawyer finally had enough with The Clinic?

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    If so, they might want to have a word about the comments section on their news articles too.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Didn't realise it was still down. Some of the stuff over there was bat shit crazy so I wouldn't be surprised if somebody said, 'Enough is enough.'
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I suspect it got so full up it just fell over....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    My favourite moment was when within a few hours, they discovered a new type of genetic doping, decided how it would best be used, found that it was somehow linked to Leinders, thought that Froome was therefore probably using it, then admitted the Leinders link was a 'mistake' and couldn't be further from the truth, but Froome was probably still using it.

Mental. It is interesting to see how far they go though... not only in their accusations and conspiracies, but also in their pursuit for 'evidence' and knowledge to support their nuttiness.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Went away for a few days and came back to find it had vanished.
    Found this article in the news section from July 19th:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/forums- ... aintenance

All I can say is the timing was extremely odd and the length of down time makes it
    look suspiciously like something more terminal.

Even the pro racing threads had become a cess pit, so maybe the owners got fed up with the stink.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    My favourite moment was when within a few hours, they discovered a new type of genetic doping, decided how it would best be used, found that it was somehow linked to Leinders, thought that Froome was therefore probably using it, then admitted the Leinders link was a 'mistake' and couldn't be further from the truth, but Froome was probably still using it.

Mental. It is interesting to see how far they go though... not only in their accusations and conspiracies, but also in their pursuit for 'evidence' and knowledge to support their nuttiness.

'Evidence' - what need for that when its someone you dont know going by the name of 'CaptainDigger' (or the like) on the interweb, telling you ITS TRUE
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:
    I've had Saturday nights like that. I'm usually OK the next day though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Even the pro racing threads had become a cess pit, so maybe the owners got fed up with the stink.

Is the CN Forum not also owned by Future, who own this one? And I note that BR forums have also had access issues in recent days.

We could speculate that having got Walsh onside, Sky got the CN Forum shut down to prevent the truth coming out... now Kimmage is the only hope! :roll:
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    ddraver wrote:

EDIT - beaten to it :wink:

It's run by Future Media (ie this forum) so I doubt that very much. Almost certainly someone's lawyers decided enough was enough. Generally I'm all for free speech, but there are limits...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508

Haha yes - some actually posted "Good find. I think we're onto something here" :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    With no Clinic to mark my sanity against, does anyone have the url of a good David Icke forum? hehe.

I'm amazed the Clinic was allowed to exist; almost every syllable was libellous.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Is there a 'Use it or lose it' issue defending yourself against libel: leave incessant offending statements unchallenged for too long and you lose the right to take action?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Macaloon wrote:
    Is there a 'Use it or lose it' issue defending yourself against libel: leave incessant offending statements unchallenged for too long and you lose the right to take action?

Yes there is a limitation period. In the IOM the limitation act states 12 months for defamation.

I went a took a look at the cycling news forum a couple of years ago. None of the threads seemed to make sense. It was like everyone was on speed. I've never been back.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    The same thing happened here a few years back. the server (or whatever this crap is stored on) got too full as no one was paying any attention and the whole lot imploded.

The clinic has been libelling people for years (hence why it was set up). If Armstrong and his merry men didnt sue them, no one did....
    - @ddraver
  • argyllflyer
    ddraver wrote:
    The clinic has been libelling people for years (hence why it was set up). If Armstrong and his merry men didnt sue them, no one did....

But it can't be libel if it's true...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    damn so I can't access the babes on bikes thread at the moment
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I've never been on there, I take it the clinic is where they cook up mad doping stories and try not to get sued?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dish_dash wrote:

Is the CN Forum not also owned by Future, who own this one? And I note that BR forums have also had access issues in recent days.
    tin-foil-hat-e1303319730252.jpg
  • argyllflyer
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I've never been on there, I take it the clinic is where they cook up mad doping stories and try not to get sued?

That should be it's tag line!

Effectively, the Clinic is the home to mad conspiracists (or the Clinic 12 as they self-label) who call out every performance as being fueled by drugs or being a USPS tribute act c2013. If I won a race to the bottom of my garden and one of these crackpots witnessed it, I'd half expect a thread to appear along the lines of "that descent was .3 seconds faster then the previous - suspicious ANYONE???!!!" "did he work with Leinders?" "No, but he's met a few Dutchmen and you know them when it comes to dope" "DOPER!"
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Paul 8v wrote:

Effectively, the Clinic is the home to mad conspiracists (or the Clinic 12 as they self-label) who call out every performance as being fueled by drugs or being a USPS tribute act c2013. If I won a race to the bottom of my garden and one of these crackpots witnessed it, I'd half expect a thread to appear along the lines of "that descent was .3 seconds faster then the previous - suspicious ANYONE???!!!" "did he work with Leinders?" "No, but he's met a few Dutchmen and you know them when it comes to dope" "DOPER!"

Gotta confess to being a bit sad it's been nuked. It was absolute comedy gold - you couldn't even begin to make up much of the stuff in there.
  • Macaloon
    Paul 8v wrote:

:roll: Shame you came from nowhere, mate. Take a look at your pre-2011 times: before you 'recovered' from 'the amputation'. Not normal. Who wants some?
  • Alitogata
    Alitogata Posts: 148
    ThomThom wrote:
    Surely they aren't a week about doing some maintenance, starting in the middle of the hardest week the Tour has seen in years.

Did someone's lawyer finally had enough with The Clinic?

Their data center was hacked and they will be back when they'll fix it.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Paul 8v wrote:

That comes from a comment from Jonathan Vaughters actually, assuming that really is him on there (seems to be).
  • Paul 8v
    God, that sounds awful, think I will stick to this forum!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Paul 8v wrote:

This forum is inching towards theirs though, judging by the performance during the tour.

You guys forget how much Americans like a conspiracy, and their boy turned out to be b*llock deep in one. So of course they've got a bunch of crackpots.
  • ddraver
    This forum is always insane during the tour...give it a few weeks and all we ll have to worry about is frenchie crashing our phones again
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    This forum is inching towards... a bunch of crackpots.

A timely warning. I've been seeing wildly inappropriate cycling ads in the margins around the forum page. Must be time for a breather.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

This forum is inching towards theirs though, judging by the performance during the tour.

You guys forget how much Americans like a conspiracy, and their boy turned out to be b*llock deep in one. So of course they've got a bunch of crackpots.

Yeah the "Sky are dopers" thread was pretty bad, I tried to ignore it but it's like a train wreck, you can't help but look! Glad it is locked now. There are some really good posts on here though, would be a shame to see it get full of nutters.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Paul 8v wrote:

Pretty much this, although I have to point out that the Asylum's high security, padded cell candidates includes just as many Australians.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Walter White
    Walter White Posts: 238
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Yeah the "Sky are dopers" thread was pretty bad, I tried to ignore it but it's like a train wreck, you can't help but look! Glad it is locked now. There are some really good posts on here though, would be a shame to see it get full of nutters.

That^^(BIB).

Its a complete loony bin but you can't help but have a peek inside at the madness of it all.

Strange that it went down when it did (during stage 19 i think) and hasn't came back, no forum takes that long to sort out their problems.