Giro 2014 - 'Big Start'

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Really looking forward to it, I arrive late Fri so will miss the time trial, but will take in all of Saturdays action! The Fan Park looks like it could be good, and also some freebies from the caravan.

Sunday will be a tourist day around Belfast for us, before a late flight home.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,984
    Hopefully the current situation with Gerry Adams won't lead to any trouble over there.
  • tailwindhome
    Pross wrote:
    Hopefully the current situation with Gerry Adams won't lead to any trouble over there.

I don't think it will

The areas the TT is routed through will be celebrating rather than protesting anyway :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Alan A wrote:
    Will Cav be allowed to wear his National Champs jersey, or is he only allowed to wear it on certain days?

******* politics and politicians.

Ferry booked, can't wait.

Cav isn't riding the Giro.
  • tailwindhome
    Worried about the weather.

3 good weekends in a row.........it'll never last
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    mrconde 11:10am via Web
    I think the #Giro organizers are taking it too far now... RT @ThatsEarth Cliffs of Moher, Ireland

BmyJ16LIMAAb9eY.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    So the plan

Belfast Thursday Night for the team presentation - then possibly the QFT for the Pantani film

Belfast Friday Morning to watch the TT practice - then up to Stormont to watch the race

Ballycastle Saturday - the corner at the Marine Hotel to watch the race.
  • kaacp
    kaacp Posts: 93
    So the plan

Belfast Thursday Night for the team presentation - then possibly the QFT for the Pantani film

Belfast Friday Morning to watch the TT practice - then up to Stormont to watch the race

Ballycastle Saturday - the corner at the Marine Hotel to watch the race.

Sounds like I'll be standing beside you! Also going to the presentation, TTT practice and race, then on to Ballycastle for Saturday.

Then an early start on Sunday to get home to Dublin in good time for the finish there. I'm really looking forward to it now.
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.
    Charles M. Schulz
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Sorry this is slightly off-topic but the Stelvio webcam will be an interesting one to watch over the next few weeks

2PsPqFq.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,984
    10 degrees, it'll be gone soon (I hope - the shortened stages last year ruined the race).
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    Worried about the weather.

3 good weekends in a row.........it'll never last

..and rightly so, rain forecast for every day this week!!! Hopefully this changes.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    giro3_zps132b1939.jpg
    Giro2_zps7cdbf476.jpg
    20-20130507_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_3S3A1736.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    This thread needs more pink sheep

10246354_716856855031273_393174499281917690_n.jpg
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Nice photos FF. I love the one of Cav.
  • tailwindhome
    Bm8qmg7CUAAJ8Ag.jpg
  • tailwindhome
    GiroWeek1profile-659x440.jpg
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Astana withdrew both Iglinskiy and Lutsenko because they couldn't get visas from the British Embassy.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana- ... a-problems

A really disappointing number of problems like this in the run in.
  • frenchfighter
    “We are disappointed to leave two of Kazakhstan’s brightest cycling federation riders off the WorldTour Giro roster,” said Astana general manager Alexander Vinokurov in a team release. “And find silence and the non-response of the British Embassy in Paris such a contrast to the efficient work done by their colleagues in Germany for our processed and registered Kazakh rider, Andrey Zeits.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Oleg Tinkov ‏@olegtinkov 13h
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana- ... a-problems … Is this is good promo for UK and anglo-Saxons?They pretend to be the most efficient?We lost Niko Trusov for nothing
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    I have a strong suspicion that teams that have had trouble have done so due to them not realising Ireland is not one country until the eleven hour.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    I have a strong suspicion that teams that have had trouble have done so due to them not realising Ireland is not one country until the eleven hour.

Good point. I guess the Giro organisers could have helped out here.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    A single phone call to Lord Coe would surely have avoided this shambles.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:

Or that neither are in Schengen?

As an aside the whole UK visa and border system is in a bit of a mess* at the moment due to (in short) computer problems.

* this may well be an understatement.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    Foreigners
    Cycling
    Lyrca
    Passport issues

There's a UKIP joke in there somewhere - just can't get to it.
  • tailwindhome
    BnBgFTvCAAECmnt.jpg
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    ThomThom wrote:
    Oleg Tinkov ‏@olegtinkov 13h
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana- ... a-problems … Is this is good promo for UK and anglo-Saxons?They pretend to be the most efficient?We lost Niko Trusov for nothing
    Efficient?! Is he getting us mixed up with the Germans?
  • tailwindhome
    10336653_496304107165407_5774418778790931667_n.jpg

You had one job :roll:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,908
    The Irish customs trump the UK, with this:

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/no ... p?id=71484

Gianpaolo Caruso stopped for having...................................a coffee machine. 8)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.