TdF 2013 - Stage 20 ***Spoilers*** Annecy - Semnoz

Comments

• Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    Such a lot to play for today (bar that bloke out the front at least).

I'm really liking Quintana's shot of grabbing second at this point, probably the most closely contested spot is going to be third since J-Rod looks a lot stronger than Contador at this point but the time difference is still somewhat significant between them.
    (As an aside, never been a Valverde fan but he's been good value this race. A shame the way he went out of contention)

Just wanted to echo this, admirable effort from him both doing work to help Quintana and attacking/riding well on his own since the technical that ruined his race.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Will you be here next year? I will have finished my 2nd year Geology modules and will hopefully feel like contributing. Until then, I'll just enjoy the GeologyRocks chat!

See no reason why I won't be....

What are you thinking of taking? ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I'm predicting Contador to go for it today.

Can't see a man with 7 GT wins being too fussed about a podium spot.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779

He's already shown that he doesn't have the legs to stay with Froome, Quintana and J-Rod, let alone attack uphill. By the looks of him yesterday, he's given up hope and is riding to the finish with as much dignity intact as possible.

A point - I thought all of Alberto's points were null and void for two seasons after returning from his ban? So even if he was racing for WT points, it wouldn't matter? If that's the case, would make more sense for him to work for Kreuziger!

Also: I think Froome is more tired and fragile after the Alpebonk than he's letting on. He was clearly suffering hard yesterday. The problem is that everyone else are all equally farked, so are unable to take advantage. But... That means that there is the remote chance that someone could crack Froome, IF they isolate him from Porte, IF the Spanish Armada work together, and IF it's hard from the gun. That's a lot of IFs.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    A relatively short stage. This will be the last chance of a stage for a lot of people so plenty will try and get into the break. A few GC guys might have a go too so it could be a very fast start. Someone in the peloton will want to push it hard to make people as tired as possible before the last climb/catch the break and take the stage win. Therefore it could well be raced at a very fast pace. Going to be difficult for anyone dropped early to get back on unless they are with Cav who will have his 5 helpers - could see a few stragglers eliminated on time the day before Paris.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    patchy wrote:

He's already shown that he doesn't have the legs to stay with Froome, Quintana and J-Rod, let alone attack uphill. By the looks of him yesterday, he's given up hope and is riding to the finish with as much dignity intact as possible.

A point - I thought all of Alberto's points were null and void for two seasons after returning from his ban? So even if he was racing for WT points, it wouldn't matter? If that's the case, would make more sense for him to work for Kreuziger!

Also: I think Froome is more tired and fragile after the Alpebonk than he's letting on. He was clearly suffering hard yesterday. The problem is that everyone else are all equally farked, so are unable to take advantage. But... That means that there is the remote chance that someone could crack Froome, IF they isolate him from Porte, IF the Spanish Armada work together, and IF it's hard from the gun. That's a lot of IFs.

Of course, in the real world, you are absolutely correct.

Still.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    patchy wrote:

I think you're right about him suffering in the last couple of days, I doubt we're going to see any sort of Ventoux-style attacks from him today on the final climb. He'll be quite happy to follow Quintana and J-Rod to the finish (if he can).
  • patchy
    patchy wrote:

Of course, in the real world, you are absolutely correct.

Still.

I know. I'd love to see Bertie try and reenact the mental breakaway in the Alpe 2011 stage, admittedly, and will be cheering him on if he does!
  • patchy
    adr82 wrote:
    I think you're right about him suffering in the last couple of days, I doubt we're going to see any sort of Ventoux-style attacks from him today on the final climb. He'll be quite happy to follow Quintana and J-Rod to the finish (if he can).

Wouldn't be surprised if Porte's let off the leash to go for the stage win (assuming Froome is comfortable) as a thank you. I'd certainly be curious to see what he could do without having to perform the sheepdog act.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    patchy wrote:

The Spanish wont work together, Quintana and J-Rod want the podium. Contador looks cooked. Valverde cant really complain about his mechanical. He had all his guys back to help, they got him to within 45 seconds at one point, then let it go back out to 10 mins. Shame but that's racing.

Come on Froome, one last effort.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Mogwai's excellent music for Les Revenants might be appropriate but is about as cheery as the programme itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex9r_u0JHj8
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,557
    The long flat before the HC is not helpful for a Landis style attack.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    To round off the Kraftwerk connection, could this be their tribute to the podium girls?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgS252XT_Ts

DD.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Will the race pass by the Barrage de Tignes today?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    No the race heads south out of Annecy and then north again to Semnoz. Tignes is east of Albertville so no chance of any undead people emerging from the lac or an undead Victor forcing people off the road and over the edge of a cliff.

As for Team Sky pulling tricks. I am disappointed I thought they were supposed to be really boring borgs. This shows character and a sense of fun. Not on. :shock:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    No the race heads south out of Annecy and then north again to Semnoz. Tignes is east of Albertville so no chance of any undead people emerging from the lac or an undead Victor forcing people off the road and over the edge of a cliff.

As for Team Sky pulling tricks. I am disappointed I thought they were supposed to be really boring borgs. This shows character and a sense of fun. Not on. :shock:

I am dreadfully dissapointed. I'm gonna play the Les Revenants soundtrack throughout the whole stage though. Love Mogwai, nostalgic memories of playing s****y shows with them in Glasgow back in't day.
  • above_the_cows
    I'd like to see someone roadside dressed in a Catwoman costume Julie style. It won't happen though, but it would be tangentially amazing if it did.
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    Just watching France 3: the village depart show.....dish of the day Tartiflette.....feeling v hungry....some old country singer singing Santiago....real french sing along ( he may be one of the " returned"... Some julie equivalent called Eloidie singing now....no hot pants though....and I really hope Porte is given the go ahead.
    Now a Pattisiere making very nice yellow sugar roses....I love French tv
  • above_the_cows
    My colleague is at there, visiting his mum. I have set him a mission to try and get a photo of Porte's bum.
  • MrT
    Of course should be Kylie equivalent but autocorrect doesn't like her.
    Back to the Tartiflette ...reblochon looking fine
  • MrT
    My colleague is at there, visiting his mum. I have set him a mission to try and get a photo of Porte's bum.
    Just ask Froome.....he has plenty

Eloidie much better now she's not singing.
    Oh no back to the Tartiflette....taste test...one made with cream one with reblochon.....and reblochon wins.
    Now an old chanteuse called Nicoletta.....God I've just heard Plastic Bertrand mentioned......spare us.
  • MrT
    Ils ont depart hurrah
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

If it helps, consider that they probably sent five blokes along to walk just in front of him.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Got to love Jens
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Ro-Land makes an early bid! He's in normal shorts and the polka dots. Left calf kinesio taped up.

Voight also trying to get across to him.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Quite nice views of that wee loch as they roll out.

2aesbwo.png
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • MrT
    Rolland off the front already.
  • Give me more
    Give me more Posts: 487
    ^ very beautiful, especially in the sunshine

Rolland and Voight making an early go eh
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    If it helps, consider that they probably sent five blokes along to walk just in front of him.

...and spent at least a week training for that joke