Do you know anyone famous?

Comments

• btw personally i know no one. family knows jack wilshires grandparents, went to a wedding also attended by someone from 'twoshoes' which was apparently some sort of reality tv show singing act on x factor or something, played football against lee barnard and cricket against ravi bopara in my youth. and saw alex dowsett in local BS the other day. that is all.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    We met someone quite well known on holiday back in 2007 and had a chat to him before he posed for a pic with my ankle biter:

May2007toApril2008031.jpg

And my old man was best mates with this bloke who was running the Falkland Islands when a bunch of Argentinians came gatecrashing:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReQZ6m4YOGa4-HV_ULbhxFrJXH5juTtQqgLalVtVT-DL_H3CSTtw
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    WindyG wrote:
    I forgot I have also met nearly every driver from the 96/97/98 British Touring Car championship, I used to work in motor racing and had a access all areas TOCA pass so I could get into any garage at any time, the best one I met was Tim Harvey a real nice guy to just generally chat with, the worst one was John Cleland who was always miserable.

I have also met Radio 1's Gary Davies from back in the day, when Andy Bell used to be in his first Ride and we were at a roadshow in Oxford where we grew up.

interesting, was that after the glory days of charlie lamb and the schnitzer boys, smokin jo, SS, and dear old Roberto?

Only met Winkelhock in passing and only at the end of the season, 96 was his last I think but yes it was after the others
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I know a few people but mainly through work.

Lilly Alan played at my wedding, together with Finlay Quay if they count.
    Living MY dream.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    VTech wrote:

Lily and Finlay playing together? That's not a great image. :wink:

tim wand wrote:
    Strange one really, A mate of mine used to live next door to her in Virgina Waters. At the time I was dating a nurse at Heatherwood hospital near Ascot. I went down one weekend to see her and she told me she d converted to the other side. Gutted as I was, I didn't want to head back to My Uni digs in London, so I headed to my mates who was having a BBQ and said Swedish Weather Girl was there.

Basically on hearing my pathetic story she took pity on me and convinced me that my Ex hadn't turned to the pink side because of any of my short comings, Admitted to going through a bit of a phase of it herself (I was so tempted to ring the Ex and see if she fancied a 3 way).
    Ulrika and Tim's ex playing together? That's better! :twisted: :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • WindyG wrote:
    WindyG wrote:
    I forgot I have also met nearly every driver from the 96/97/98 British Touring Car championship, I used to work in motor racing and had a access all areas TOCA pass so I could get into any garage at any time, the best one I met was Tim Harvey a real nice guy to just generally chat with, the worst one was John Cleland who was always miserable.

I have also met Radio 1's Gary Davies from back in the day, when Andy Bell used to be in his first Ride and we were at a roadshow in Oxford where we grew up.

interesting, was that after the glory days of charlie lamb and the schnitzer boys, smokin jo, SS, and dear old Roberto?

Only met Winkelhock in passing and only at the end of the season, 96 was his last I think but yes it was after the others

Vtech, have u ever met the aforementoned?
  • john cleland, miserable? quelle surprise!
  • VTech
    Ive met both but only in passing and TBH I rarely get to see people in their raw state as im usually on business and they are happy for me to be there so hardly ever grumpy.

I met Valentino Rossi in turin and he was on a bike dyno with 2 hot ladies aside him, that was quite cool :)
    Ive bumped into pop and movie stars at parties and once had a wee next to Rob Dyrdek who was absolutely slaughtered. And once got mad drunk with Kimble on the Gumball rally which was an evening to forget ;)
    Living MY dream.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    VTech wrote:

What did they play?

As an aside, my brother is very good friends with Billy Ray Cyrus and he (BRC not my brother) did an accapella version of "achy breaky heart" at my wedding. I think he ended up in the pool.

We also accidentally once locked in BRC in a car in Alabama during a game of "hot car" that went wrong.
  • VTech
    Lily played half of her album and finlay played most of maverick album.
    They didnt sing together, just at the same venue for the same event.
    Living MY dream.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I once had dinner with Jo Guest. Served Robbie(knob head)Williams plus countless footballers in a fashion shop. My ride buddy is a local radio news presenter. My dad was best mates with Jack Bruce(I was too young to remember) Have ridden with Emma Pooley and Victoria Williamson who are in my club. Without knowing who he was measured up Tim Burgess for a jacket he didn't want and Richard Wilson for one he did want in a tailors shop I was working in. Maybe more if I can remember but that's the problem with celebs, most are very normal and forgettable.
  • Yossie
    markos1963 wrote:
    I once had dinner with Jo Guest. Served Robbie(knob head)Williams plus countless footballers in a fashion shop. My ride buddy is a local radio news presenter. My dad was best mates with Jack Bruce(I was too young to remember) Have ridden with Emma Pooley and Victoria Williamson who are in my club. Without knowing who he was measured up Tim Burgess for a jacket he didn't want and Richard Wilson for one he did want in a tailors shop I was working in. Maybe more if I can remember but that's the problem with celebs, most are very normal and forgettable.

Serious question: Jo Guest - what was she actually like to have dinner. Although I have thought long and hard about the wonderful Miss G on many occasions, dinner has never come into it.

How did you end up having dinner with her anyway?

We are now intrigued.
  • markos1963
    Yossie wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

Serious question: Jo Guest - what was she actually like to have dinner. Although I have thought long and hard about the wonderful Miss G on many occasions, dinner has never come into it.

We are now intrigued.

It was at a corporate function where she was a guest(sic) of honour. She got fed up with all the wandering hands at the directors table and came and sat next to me. She was an absolute joy, very intelligent, knew exactly the power she held over men and how to turn it to her advantage, very flirty as you might imagine and a down to earth woman.

And of course as a gentleman I can't say how the evening ended.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    markos1963 wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

We are now intrigued.

It was at a corporate function where she was a guest(sic) of honour. She got fed up with all the wandering hands at the directors table and came and sat next to me. She was an absolute joy, very intelligent, knew exactly the power she held over men and how to turn it to her advantage, very flirty as you might imagine and a down to earth woman.

I assume you didn't shag her then? :lol:
  • markos1963
    Ballysmate wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    markos1963 wrote:

We are now intrigued.

I assume you didn't shag her then? :lol:

Alas no, just a sweet kiss on the cheek(no not that one!) :lol:
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Have had a chat and drink with Harry Redknapp and Brian Tyler (AFCB back in the 80s)
    Breakfasted with Mark Roe (pro golfer now pundit) at my sisters wedding in Jockland
    Bizarrely had pi55 in next urinal to Sandy Lyle at Ferndown Golf Club (not something I would normally brag about)
    Met a very inebriated Sam Torrance at Gatwick airport executive lounge.

I think that over a lifetime we have or will encounter someone that 'joe public' may consider noteworthy. I don't think of them as anything more or less than my own standing in the world.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I recall posting somewhere on here that I had no interest in other people's lifestyles or possessions and at the time, struggled to think of anything that interested me less. So thank you for reminding me. The world of fame and celebrity, - I don't give a flying f*ck.
    Why are the papers full of this sh!t. David Beckham gets a new tattoo?.....Well boogaloo, so f*cking what!
    Katie Price gets her tits out?...... So f*cking what?
    Bradley Wiggins has a shave? ...... You get the idea.
    The furore surrounding the imminent royal birth? It's not mine so I don't care.
    Death of Princess Diana? Sad for her family, but as I didn't know her, I think I will eventually get over it.

I fully expect to be in a minority of one, but I genuinely don't understand the modern preoccupation with fame and the wish for people to prostrate themselves before the altar of celebrity.

No; I'm with you...
  • VTech
    Im working with Snoop Dogg next week, never met him and am well looking forward to it :)
    Living MY dream.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Tell him to take it easy with the potty mouth. Someone wrote a very rude word on my autocue once and it caused a whole heap of trouble.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    VTech wrote:
    Im working with Snoop Dogg next week, never met him and am well looking forward to it :)

Is he insulating your garage roof?
  • VTech
    No, im not sure I would want him anywhere near a warm enclosed space with lots of light ;)

Im working on a vehicle he owns. Im looking forward to it as I have always like Mr D since I was a kid.
    Living MY dream.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    VTech wrote:
    No, im not sure I would want him anywhere near a warm enclosed space with lots of light ;)

Im working on a vehicle he owns. Im looking forward to it as I have always like Mr D since I was a kid.

And he was a pup? So you're pimping his ride then?
  • VTech
    Kind of.
    Im sure the majority is already done, he has had hound murals painted onto it as well as cannabis leaves.
    Not my cup of tea but each to his own.
    Living MY dream.
  • Yossie
    Bizarrely enough I've just come back from somehow being roped into giving Dolly Parton a lift home from the supermarket. Now that's an ending to today I didn't expect.

Boy, can she talk. On and on and on and on and on and on ..................
  • VTech
    Your in New York, im there thursday, maybe we can go for a cycle together.
    Living MY dream.
  • so in conclusion, know one really KNOWS anone famous, or wouldnt care to reveal it on a forum.
  • VTech
    How do you define "Know" ?
    Do you mean someone who you hang out with, are friends with or have their number on your mobile ?

Maybe an acquaintance ?
    Living MY dream.
  • i would say, someone u reguarly hang out with or at least someone you speak to/see in a friendly 'non ulterior motive' (wrong wording, but i mean outside of work/other association, member of same club, etc) environment, indepentally of work/same club etc.
  • bu then again i suppose u do know an acquaintence and im sure u know loads vtech in that sense but are probably truly 'friends' with not so many.

actually i dont really know wtf im talking about as the definition of know is broad isnt it and means different things to different people.
  • VTech
    I think you have a point.
    Ive met many famous people but it would be wrong to say I know them, maybe acquaintance at best.
    Like working at a decent hotel or restaurant and classing patrons as friends when in fact they are simply customers ?

I dont know too many famous people, my best mate is a psychiatric doctor (I know some of you will smirk at that).
    Living MY dream.