Sky doping chat wrecking Spoliers

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Over the last year or two, people on here who are naffed off with any displays of Sky's success seem to have gone from saying things like 'the tactics make racing boring' to 'I think there is doping going on', it's polluting threads and it's not even based on anything but hunches backed up with nothing truly scientific. It's a bit laughable, but it wrecks threads.

We've had a lot of threads on dopers, but most discussions have always come from evidence, allegations of buried evidence, or dodgy connections at the very least... not people picking stupid allegations out of thin air.

It's a shame this month that the discussion and baiting has gone so far that so many threads have been a bit ruined.

Discussing doping is great, but let's keep it to where there's some evidence on riders, at least as far as the spoiler threads go. Surely then we could have better spoiler threads?

(this is not me saying this cos I like Sky, cos I honestly don't like them any more or less than any other team, it's just from a spoiler thread point of view)

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Think we managed to stay off doping chat on the spoiler today pretty well. To be honest its only frenchie that begins all that talk. The rest of us know it all stems cfrom all those technological marginal gains.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Slightly off topic (because it's not about sky or doping) I'd like to say a big chapeau to all of those posters , particularly AtC ddraver and ride on time (although there are many more) who have gone out of their way to bring a sense of fun and banter to the spoiler threads with all the background info/geology/cuisine etc. It has given a real sense of occasion to what is the biggest bike race on the planet. The racing isn't always that interesting and so the off-topic banter has been a good way of keeping a sense of occasion when you can't actually be there yourself.

I know some foumites haven't enjoyed it, you can't please everyone. I just wouldn't want to stuck on Alpe d'huez with them watching a bunch of cloggies with chairs on their heads.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    ^+1
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Maybe if the Sky fans just ignored the non-fans. Honestly I think the threads get ruined by people on BOTH sides - the misguided, mischievous and the obviously patriotic blinded, not JUST the people who ain't so keen on Sky.

I've said it before - when Contador was monstering races a few years ago 99% people made accusations, called him Satans own, said he was a dirty cheating Spaniard. Froome is monstering races this year in EXACTLY the same manner but now those same 99% bitch, whine and cry whenever there is the slightest insinuation that Sky are on the juice. Performances such as Contadors and now Froomes are always going to raise eyebrows - not everyone is a Sky fan so entitled to their opinion. There is no evidence for or against Froomes doping so right now it's ALL COMPLETELY OPINION. Just because Sky fans are Sky fans doesn't make them right. Ask the millions of Armstrong fans.

Agree with the sentiments though. There's a Sky doping thread - stick it all in there.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    One of the things that make this forum much more enjoyable for posting is that its not clogged up with doping guff.

It takes two to play. One group - well, primarily one poster - who just trolls away at will. And another group who react to it.

Top Mod Rick has spoken - keep the doping to the specific doping threads. And that goes for the chief protaganist where Sky is concerned, as much as those reacting.

Because it does spoil the spoiler threads, it really does.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    On the flip side ... The threads are also ruined by those banging the British(ish) drum ... and the pack mentality taken up against anyone who dare have an alternative opinion (whether it be tactics, demeanour or questionable performances) ...

Often what seems over zealous doubt or criticism is just a direct response to the tub-thumping sheep who can't accept a contrary opinion and politic for other forum members to block anyone who doesn't share in their vicarious glory ...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Show me on this bear where the bad forum user touched you
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Show me on this forum user where the bad bear touched you

ftfy
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    There is only one poster who has started the doping posts on the spoilers, and because his accusations are so wild, and he is so hypocritical in comparison to his views on his 'hero', people just aren't prepared to let him get away with it. If he wound his neck in and stopped trolling on the spoilers, then the responses would stop.

It is understandable that people will have concerns about Froome, but equally it is apparent that the likes of Contador have been riding this Tour clean so far, and their poor performances in comparison to previous exploits back that up, so far.

If people think calling out Contador but not Froome is being too patriotic, then is that in part because we all know how dirty Spanish sport is? (and still hope that British sport is comparatively clean.)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    While we're as unlikely to find a consensus on whose fault it is as we are one on whether Sky are on the good stuff or not, can we all agree that we'll do our utmost best not to drag the spoiler threads into doping talk.

As it's all too difficult to refrain from replying when the issue is raised, I suggest a simple "That's off topic" reply with a link to this thread if the subject rears its ugly head.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Thanks very much YP! You can have my photo any day! #Niche

Fully agree DB, maybe if its so bad here someone could suggest a different forum for He who must not be named where he might be happier...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The accused "troll" is basically taking the p*ss with some of his comments isn't he? Is it just me that sees the humour in some of the stuff he comes out with? If you disagree, fine to respond but just don't get sucked into the whole "you are SOOOO wrong and this is why" sort of thing. I like to hear people's opinions, pro Sky or anti Sky its all good, just keep the personal stuff out of it and be prepared to make your point then just leave it at that.
  • ddraver
    I used to think that BM, but no more...
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Rick, why does one poster have carte blanche to smear and libel at will? There's your problem. Otherwise in the past couple of years this has been a remarkably sane, self-policed zone.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    ^That - a few pretty pictures does not excuse atrocious behaviour.
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If the "troll" is who I'm thinking it is, quite a lot of us have followed Dennis's suggestion and had a beer with him.

Nice sensible guy all told.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Frenchfighter......he's not always being entirely serious.

It's only the internet.

Learn to let one go by every now and then and you'll be a happier, calmer bunch.

Forum ducks vitos.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Macaloon wrote:
    Rick, why does one poster have carte blanche to smear and libel at will? There's your problem. Otherwise in the past couple of years this has been a remarkably sane, self-policed zone.

^ This

But it's probably up to all of us to report this person's posts when necessary? Well, up to anyone who hasn't already blocked his posts!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2013
    mfin wrote:
    It's a shame this month that the discussion and baiting has gone so far that so many threads have been a bit ruined.

Said by the same guy who keeps babbling on and ruin race threads on how he wants doping convicted riders to have career ending crashes. What a joke.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    On the flip side ... The threads are also ruined by those banging the British(ish) drum ... and the pack mentality taken up against anyone who dare have an alternative opinion (whether it be tactics, demeanour or questionable performances) ...

Often what seems over zealous doubt or criticism is just a direct response to the tub-thumping sheep who can't accept a contrary opinion and politic for other forum members to block anyone who doesn't share in their vicarious glory ...

You seem to be one of the few who thinks this , we aren't all Sky fans despite been British , just sick of the doping chat in spoiler threads
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    Jeez....the pitch forks are out this morning.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Big LOL. Logged in, accessed this thread and I can`t read half of it. Speaks volumes.

The majority of you come to these forums to talk shi t and only give a side hoot about the racing. You clog the threads up with useless rubbish and jump on them posting nonsense in multiple bursts like twitterati. You back Sky because that is an easy thing to do and they are British.

It`s a shame because 2008-2011 or so the spoiler threads and chat were for the pure fans of cycling where I would take a large input. It was useful, informative, fun and had on average the right level of argument.

If 50% of you actually thought about posting something worth reading rather than commenting about someone else`s post and telling them they are wrong and an idiot for having that opinion then try and gang up on them with your like buddies then the forum would be better.

I guess that is the natural evolution of when things go from niche to mainstream though. You are going to go from the purists to the mediocre`s. I also think that many of you don`t know or understand what cycling was like before Sky and so really struggle to see the negative impact they have had on the true fans enjoyment. Your language and abuse leveled is often embarrassing and indicative of the type of people you must be in real life. At least I can maintain my dignity and cool when you all try and pile on top of me with abuse, insult and general wastage.

When people call me a Troll that makes me laugh so hard as it couldn`t be further from the truth. I guess it is just an easy word to fling at someone who has differing opinions then you and who wont get bullied into falling into the consensus view. Oh well.

For now, there are still people on here that have the contribution and insight that is worth reading and it doesn`t take too much difficulty ignoring everything else.

Weigh your contribution to the forum since you have started posting and ask yourself whether that balance is up or down and to what extent.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    iainf72 wrote:
    If the "troll" is who I'm thinking it is, quite a lot of us have followed Dennis's suggestion and had a beer with him.

Well (and i ve said this many times). Why doesnt he bring that to the keyboard like the rest of us?

Edit - perfectly timed - see above?
    - @ddraver
  • Macaloon
    When people call me a Troll that makes me laugh so hard as it couldn`t be further from the truth. I guess it is just an easy word to fling at someone who has differing opinions then you and who wont get bullied into falling into the consensus view. Oh well.

It's trolling when you make repeated doping allegations about Froome doping and then flounce off, refusing to back up your allegations with evidence. (Apologies if I have missed your evidence). Anybody else doing this on these forums has been hammered.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    ddraver wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Well (and i ve said this many times). Why doesnt he bring that to the keyboard like the rest of us?

I sometimes think you,RR and Mac come across as over zealous bullies. I guess you probably aren't but everyone needs to take a look at themselves from time to time.

Some good and knowledgeable posters have been driven away from here and I can tell you it wasn't by FF.

I don't mind anyone on here really. Aside from Howard, I did not care for him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I sometimes think you,RR and Mac come across as over zealous bullies. I guess you probably aren't but everyone needs to take a look at themselves from time to time.

Some good and knowledgeable posters have been driven away from here and I can tell you it wasn't by FF.

well said
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'm not a Sky fan, but I'm not a hater either. I just don't mind seeing them doing well and will defend them.

The same way you get glory supporters I think you get people who will always dislike whatever is popular or whoever is successful*. :?

*this isn't an accusation of the suspected "troll" they at least tend to stick to their convictions.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    ThomThom wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Said by the same guy who keeps babbling on and ruin race threads on how he wants doping convicted riders to have career ending crashes. What a joke.

This.

As I said further up - a lot of hypocracy on here. The Sky fans seem to think they have the right to bully everybody else into silence whilst making accusations and sh*t comments about other riders.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited July 2013
    I just wouldn't want to stuck on Alpe d'huez with them watching a bunch of cloggies with chairs on their heads.

Firstly thanks YP, secondly to your point above, I was saving this for Stage 18, but actually I'll bust it out now as it will give you all time to learn the words before the double ascent of the Alpe.

After me, a een, a twee, a een, twee, drie, vier...

Schatje mag ik je foto? Mag ik je voto voor mij...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbSDVyBZbqM
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    iainf72 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Definitely not a True Cycling fan. Sorry.