Was going to go double, now thinking single.

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited July 2013 in The Crudcatcher
As the title says, was going to drop one chain ring but now thinking about dropping the biggest two (32 & 44) and just keeping the granny (22).

11-36 on the back. Usually only ever climb using 36 at back and either middle or smallest cog at front. Going down I usually descend in second biggest at front and 11 at back. So I will be losing some descending cranking speed but the two gears I climb in I will still have. Granny at front and about 4/5 from top at the back should give me similar ratio to second ring (32) at front and 36 at back.

Reckon this will be ok or do you think I will miss the 32 at front and 11 at back combo when descending.

Are there chainrings in between 22 & 32?

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • concorde
    Why?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Maybe try a 30t single. Just leaving the granny would be odd.
  • concorde
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Maybe try a 30t single. Just leaving the granny would be odd.

I agree odd, but will it work is my main worry? I can deal with odd. Function I'm after! Seems to work ok on paper when looking at the ratios I will have...?!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    22 to your smallest sprockets will not give a useable ratio for down hills or even on the flat. I run out gears with 32-11.

It would also wear the smallest sprockets more quickly as you'd be putting too much torque through them all the time.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    This is what I don't get. Why are you asking us? Only you know how and what you ride. You don't seem like some people who ask this question and don't have a clue at all about ratios and just see all the cool kids doing it and think they want some of that. You need to resrict yourself to certain gear ranges in your current setup and go ride and see how you get on.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    No!

I run my hardtail for most of the time as a SS set up - 27t on the front, 13 (or 14 - can't quite remember) on the back, giving a ratio of 2:1(ish) ... easily spin out on downhill, and can often spin out on the flat. Your proposed 22/11 (front/back) will give a similar ratio, so for much flat, and any downhill, you'll be spinning like a hamster!

Occasionally I convert it back into gears, but keep the front ring at 27, with a 12t (smallest) cog at the back ... again, I think this is a little low, and ideally would have at least a 28t or 30t ring on the front when running it in 1 x 10 set up (I don't, because I have an FSA Comet Hollowtech crank, and can only get 27t or 42t chainrings, and I can't afford to replace the whole crank).

So, unless 90% of your riding is up long and steep hills (and you only mince on the downs :wink: ), then like the others said ... No!
  • concorde
    Okay, cheers for the input. Perhaps a slightly bigger chainring would be best. Most of my riding is natural stuff round South Wales. Fairly steep uphills, like I say I take it easy up hills using only two gears, have no desire to put any more effort in. Coming down it's usually pretty technical stuff so never do that much cranking. Only seem to need to crank round trail centres. No fireroad downhills as that's just mind numbinly boring.

Cheers
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    32T if you're going single and you like to spin up hills.. Otherwise a 24-36 double. Anything smaller than a 32 on the front with an 11-36 cassette would be borderline insane. You'll also be limited in what rings you can use by what crank you have.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • concorde
    Have to be a double then. Couldn't live with just a 32 on the front and 11 on the back.

I need a 1x11 bike!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A 22T only would loose you a lot, especially as with the tight chain line (unless you correct it) the 11T rear would be almost unuseable, I cope fine with a 32T front and an 11-34 rear, but understand that wouldn't be for everyone.

If you could correct the chain line (what crankset you using?) then you could use a 28T granny ring which would give you an effective 'gear and a half lower' lowest gear versus a 32T.

Trouble is, usually, if you need a lower gear for going up steeper hills, you need a higher gear for coming back down!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    A 22T only would loose you a lot, especially as with the tight chain line (unless you correct it) the 11T rear would be almost unuseable, I cope fine with a 32T front and an 11-34 rear, but understand that wouldn't be for everyone.

If you could correct the chain line (what crankset you using?) then you could use a 28T granny ring which would give you an effective 'gear and a half lower' lowest gear versus a 32T.

Trouble is, usually, if you need a lower gear for going up steeper hills, you need a higher gear for coming back down!

I read somewhere on here the chainring can be spacered to give a better chain line.
  • The Rookie
    What Crankset and BB?

Read the somewhere again!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    Shimano FCM552 HT2 22/32/44T and Shimano SM-BB51 HT2.

I can't find the article now, was a Bike Radar written one, not a forum topic
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You can only space a granny ring closer to the frame, which is the last thing you want to do.

It will be very limiting, a 2:1 top gear is pretty normal for singlespeeders, not much use beyond about 16mph for any length of time. The chain line will be pretty rubbish.

It wouldn't be ideal for sure.
  • concorde
    njee20 wrote:
    You can only space a granny ring closer to the frame, which is the last thing you want to do.

It will be very limiting, a 2:1 top gear is pretty normal for singlespeeders, not much use beyond about 16mph for any length of time. The chain line will be pretty rubbish.

It wouldn't be ideal for sure.

So it that article wrong or am I reading it wrong?

Think I'll stick with going double instead.
  • njee20
    I didn't read it, but you cannot space a granny ring 'out', it butts against the crank, think about it. You can space a middle ring, because you can put it either side of the spider, but starting from a middle ring position it's already in roughly the right place.
  • concorde
    "To get the optimum chainline, you need to fit the single ring to the middle ring position (on the inside edge of the chainring tabs). Make sure you clean these tabs thoroughly. Over time they can become pretty manky and any build up of dirt can affect the way the ring attaches and impede a good tight, even fit."

That's what it says...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Optimum chainline is not fact.

If you're climbing lots in the bigger rear cogs it makes sense to run the chainring more left (inwards to the frame)
  • concorde
    Optimum chainline is not fact.

If you're climbing lots in the bigger rear cogs it makes sense to run the chainring more left (inwards to the frame)

Yes it mentions that and that would be the case.
  • njee20
    But you can only do that with a 104mm ring (assuming a normal triple crank). As the granny ring (or indeed any ring under 32t barring a few 'special' 30t offerings) mounts on the smaller, blind 64mm bolt holes that statement does not apply.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No. Its just wrong. I run a 36t single and that's fine for most things.
    Just a granny is a stupid idea, you will only be able to use half the cassette. If all your riding is steep climbs only then go for it.
  • The Rookie
    Concorde wrote:
    "To get the optimum chainline, you need to fit the single ring to the middle ring position (on the inside edge of the chainring tabs). Make sure you clean these tabs thoroughly. Over time they can become pretty manky and any build up of dirt can affect the way the ring attaches and impede a good tight, even fit."

That's what it says...
    Indeed, and as njee pointed out you can't fit anything smaller than a 32T (or a few 30T specials) to the middle ring position, ONLY to the granny tabs.

Try a 32T, if a relatively unfit slightly overweight 46yo can do it, I'm sure you can (that's me by the way!)
  • concorde
    I will go for that instead then. I should be able to cope with it I just can never be arsed to go up a hill, and def not go up them very fast. Not unfit I just don't see the point! Lol.
  • njee20
    Why bother with a single ring then?
  • concorde
    njee20 wrote:
    Why bother with a single ring then?

Actually I'll probably go with a double. I just like the simplicity and look of a single up front so thought I would get some Qs answered on the subject.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Concorde wrote:
    I will go for that instead then. I should be able to cope with it I just can never be arsed to go up a hill, and def not go up them very fast. Not unfit I just don't see the point! Lol.
    But you've also said you're not fussed about descending.
    Maybe you should find a hobby you enjoy, like Pyrography, tapestry, fishing, golfing, car racing, antiques, stamp collecting, motorcycles, hill walking, photography, kayaking, rowing, music, football, skating, wine, food, travelling, skiing, climbing, geology, archaeology, television, dressmaking, fashion, home brewing, woodwork, painting, animation, jogging, steam engines, classic car restoration, classic motorbike restoration, womanising, drugs, dance, rollerblading, ice skating, snowboarding, gymnastics, poker, or something like that.

Now, that's not a comprehensive list of all hobbies, mind, but just a helpful list of things you may enjoy more.
  • concorde
    Concorde wrote:
    But you've also said you're not fussed about descending.
    Maybe you should find a hobby you enjoy, like Pyrography, tapestry, fishing, golfing, car racing, antiques, stamp collecting, motorcycles, hill walking, photography, kayaking, rowing, music, football, skating, wine, food, travelling, skiing, climbing, geology, archaeology, television, dressmaking, fashion, home brewing, woodwork, painting, animation, jogging, steam engines, classic car restoration, classic motorbike restoration, womanising, drugs, dance, rollerblading, ice skating, snowboarding, gymnastics, poker, or something like that.

Now, that's not a comprehensive list of all hobbies, mind, but just a helpful list of things you may enjoy more.

Where did I say that?! Pretty sure I said most of the stuff I ride is technical steep stuff so there is limited need to crank in a big gear. And I have no desire to ride flat out down a fireroad as I would actually rather make some dresses. Trail centres are the only real time I'd miss the bigger ring but I ride trail centres less and less these days, much prefer natural all mountain stuff.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ^^There, you just said it again. No need to crank a big gear. So you don't like the ups, and just cruise the downs.