Advice on new FS trail bike needed

13»

Comments

• dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    My tips to you would be...

- Personally, I wouldn't consider anything less than 140mm for the trail centres you mentioned. I weigh 80kg and ride a 160 Specialized Enduro. It's great round the trails and can manage uplifts and a bit of dh. My wife has a 125mm Giant Trance X1 and that suits her 50kg weight.
    - Look at last seasons models, you can get some huge discounts.
    - Avoid bikes with AVID brakes. You'll only end up replacing them. I also would recommend Shimano drivetrains over SRAM (all from experience).

Take a look at these.
    Giant Reign 1
    Trek Remedy 8
    Both of these bikes are over your £2k budget but well worth the extra.

If I was buying a bike all over again I would definitely go for the Giant.
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    By any sane definition, two grand is a lot of money, but you need to accept that, in terms of the p**s take levels that bicycle prices (and particularly full sussers) have risen to in recent years, you aren't spending a lot of money - you're shopping at the budget end, and need to be realistic about what that buys you in today's Rip Off Britain.
    Also, this is completely true... £2000 is not a lot of money for a fs bike these days.

Don't get hung up on weight either. I'm pretty sure my bike weighs over 14kg and I have no problem getting it up the technical climbs at Cwmcarn and White's Level on a weekly basis.

Go for the Giant Reign 1. You'll go to sleep smiling every night.
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp