Even Orange are at it now...

13»

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Gazlar wrote:
    Having tried out both 650s and 29ers I find that being a tall, twitchy kind of rider that is quite high up in posture when he rides, they feel a lot less stable than a 26 inch bike.
    Really? I'd have thought it would be the other way around! Any ideas why this might be the case?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Gazlar wrote:
    Having tried out both 650s and 29ers I find that being a tall, twitchy kind of rider that is quite high up in posture when he rides, they feel a lot less stable than a 26 inch bike.
    Really? I'd have thought it would be the other way around! Any ideas why this might be the case?

Lower centre of gravity on a 26"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    True, but by all of half an inch at most, for 13kg (est) of bike under a 70-80kg rider at the same height.....sounds psychological to me!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    excuse the poor quick drawing on paint, I dont even know if it's understandable.

Untitled_zpsc7d99415.jpg

The two lines either side of each rider (the range) shows the amount your centre of gravity (COG) can travel before you fall.

It is easier for the higher COG to fall out of its range as you are pivoting around the point of contact with your front wheel and the ground.

29" is exagerated, COGs are in wrong place, but its schematic
  • bluechair84
    Gazlar wrote:

Lower centre of gravity on a 26"

Marginally... 29ers do not have to have a higher BB so it's only the little bit of extra weight at the top of the wheel
  • bluechair84
    ooh, can't see the drawing - work's servers. I'll have a look tonight.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    BB has little to do with centre of gravity of a bike is though it helps..

More mass is higher up on the 29" generally.

I notice it on many 26" which is why the bikes i tend to like have the rear shock with a low mounting keeping the wieght lower.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I think I pronounce it to by being quite long in the body and when I ride I look like a vicar riding into town. It may well be psychological or it may be just that familiarity and feel and with more riding and a better setup a larger wheel bike would feel great, I just like having the choice rather than being told this or that is better, I'd rather feel for what I prefer
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The BB doesn't have to be higher. The only things that are certainly higher are the axels, everything else is design.
  • bluechair84
    The BB doesn't have to be higher. The only things that are certainly higher are the axels, everything else is design.

This. You will have to have very slightly raised stays too, but I can't see see the CoG raising that much. But, I might be wrong here, my first argument was that people are very susceptible to slight changes in their bikes. Maybe this slight change is very noticeable. As Gazlar says, it's all about feel.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I think in real terms rear shock positioning would have a greater effect on cog. But like for like on frame design a 29er will be higher I reckon.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    I've just been curious about the measurements of the wheels as to what we're all talking about.
    If this is wrong, feel free to correct it, if it's irrelevant, feel free to ignore it.

Sizes are approx.

26" wheel = 66cm Circumference, 21cm Diameter
    600B wheel = 68.5cm Circumference, 21.8cm Diameter
    29" wheel = 73cm Circumference, 23cm Diameter

The Diameter will give you a rough idea of axel height, if I think I'm right. That said, I am absolutely useless at maths (honestly!) so mathematicians feel free to correct them.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I've just been curious about the measurements of the wheels as to what we're all talking about.
    If this is wrong, feel free to correct it, if it's irrelevant, feel free to ignore it.

Sizes are approx.

26" wheel = 66cm Circumference, 21cm Diameter
    600B wheel = 68.5cm Circumference, 21.8cm Diameter
    29" wheel = 73cm Circumference, 23cm Diameter

The Diameter will give you a rough idea of axel height, if I think I'm right. That said, I am absolutely useless at maths (honestly!) so mathematicians feel free to correct them.

Those numbers don't seem right to me at all I'm afraid. Think you're getting confused somewhere. Or I'm confused. Or… we're both confused.
  • thekickingmule
    Haha possibly. I just used an online calculator thing and put in the circumference, as my maths is that bad, I rely on interweb people to do it for me.

I think it would be interesting to see what we're talking about in terms of actual sizes

EDIT: It may be the middle, 650B one that's wrong. I don't know what its circumference is :?
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The diameter is the first figure! Circumferance is that times pi

But is a much simpler way of comparing relative hub height. Take tyres out of the equation - assume they are all the same height. Then the relative hub heights is simply the difference in rim radius.

26er = 559mm diameter, radius = 279.5mm
    650B = 584mm diameter, radius = 292mm
    700c (29er) = 622mm diameter, radius = 311mm

So compared to a 26er, the 650B hub height is 12.5mm higher, the 29er is 31.5mm higher.
  • thekickingmule
    :oops: Told you I was rubbish at maths!

Cheers for that though, to see we're only talking 3cm bewteen the outer extremes is interesting!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro