Even Orange are at it now...

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Yep, the 26" five is no more. The 2014 models will all be 650b. As much as I dislike Orange, I'm surprised they've done it! What will all the current five owners say!! Mind you guessing how mindless they must have been to buy in the first place they'll be all over this like a fat pigeon on a chip...

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/five_s/

five_S_M_3Q-382.jpg

Still looks fugly as hell...

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    You see, I would say spending thousands and thousands on a top level bike, when your capabilities only require a low level bike - is mindless.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    urgh...

bored of hearing this thing now... i really just dont see the point of the change over if im honest other than digging deep as they can into peoples pockets. 29er for hippies i get, these just pointless...

Much like an orange bike actually :wink:
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i've never ridden a 650b bike yet but does 1.5inch difference in wheel size make all that much difference to the ride ?
  • lawman
    You see, I would say spending thousands and thousands on a top level bike, when your capabilities only require a low level bike - is mindless.

Possibly yes. But perhaps the better, more expensive kit is more fun for some people, I certainly have a lot more fun, an ride quicker on either of my current bikes than I comparatively did or would ride on my old Claud Butler that's for sure! You don't need a pro-level bike, but by heck they can be bloody nice to ride!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The difference in riding a 20lbs 130mm hardtail and a 30lbs 130mm hardtail is enormous! Especially if there is no compromise to stiffness or strength.
  • pesky_jones
    Hmm I reckon theres a degree of the placebo effect to that to be honest.
  • supersonic
    Not so sure, I have tested enough bikes to draw that conclusion! Having to move 10lbs less weight about underneath you makes a big difference. Just feels more nimble, and I definitely feel it on climbs and sharp burts of acceleration.
  • Thewaylander
    weight maks a huge difference,

if a silly wheel size does is extremely debatable.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    swod1 wrote:
    i've never ridden a 650b bike yet but does 1.5inch difference in wheel size make all that much difference to the ride ?
    Actually a 1" difference.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thewaylander
    swod1 wrote:
    Actually a 1" difference.....

is that in girth or length...
  • supersonic
    Half an inch difference in radius ie hub height difference ;-)
  • pesky_jones
    My comment was aimed at lawmans response but I suppose it still applies.
  • Thewaylander
    supersonic wrote:
    Half an inch difference in radius ie hub height difference ;-)

So the size of an average Cruddies undercarriage... seems a bit pointless to me...
  • lawman

There is to a certain extent, once you get above £3000 these days you have to spend a lot more to notice a big difference, but small increases over the whole bike add up to a big difference. Entry level bikes aren't getting any better IMO, if anything for the money you spend the majority are getting worse. Many are happy to pay a premium for the best kit if it adds to their experience, some find that notion stupid, but if we all felt the same we'd all be driving Kia's and living in identical houses.

The fact some people are willing to spend thousands on a bike and of all the bikes out there pick the Five is even more baffling to me! :lol:
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    :lol:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    lawman wrote:

There is to a certain extent, once you get above £3000 these days you have to spend a lot more to notice a big difference,

No there isn't you're getting confused.

The point about the placebo was 20lb to 30lb you'd notice the difference. it has nothing to do with £3,000 bikes.

A 30lb 130mm HT could be about £400, a 20lb could be £2,000, you'd notice the weight difference in a blind test for sure.

It is nothing about 'these' days it's always been the case that you get diminshing marginal returns - this happens in most things.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    no it wasn't, it was about expensive bikes;
    My comment was aimed at lawmans response but I suppose it still applies.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

There is to a certain extent, once you get above £3000 these days you have to spend a lot more to notice a big difference,

No there isn't you're getting confused.

The point about the placebo was 20lb to 30lb you'd notice the difference. it has nothing to do with £3,000 bikes.

A 30lb 130mm HT could be about £400, a 20lb could be £2,000, you'd notice the weight difference in a blind test for sure.

It is nothing about 'these' days it's always been the case that you get diminshing marginal returns - this happens in most things.

As has been pointed, you're the one that's confused :roll:
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    Just a generic question - why the hate of Orange?
  • supersonic
    Generic answer - overpriced, bad welding, heavy, sound like a bag of spanners in a tumble drier, badly thought out specs, poor suspension, made from old skips and filing cabinets etc etc.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    JMcP92 wrote:

Nowt wrong with them really apart from welds that look like they were welded by a drunk on a pogostick. Its Orange riders they are often the sort of bore who makes you want to eat your own ears.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    I must admit, I have wanted a 5 Pro for ages, and have been close to blowing my cash lately.
    Thanks Orange, going to 650b has completely put me off. Most pointless change ever.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I did predict the demise of the 26er on this very forum. It's happening a bit sooner than even I thought though.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Thewaylander
    I think it will not prove as popular as they hope.
  • rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    Im not ignorant to the potential benefits of 650b. I read the BR Lapierre Spicy first ride, where they mentioned the pro Lapierre rider was 1 second quicker on the 650b bike on a 3 minute course. 1 second quicker, for a pro!!
    I can understand 29ers, I have ridden one and can see the benefit for xc oriented riders. But 650b I just see as a con.
    Theres an Orange Pro with loads of goodies on reduced from £4k to £3.3k in my lbs. I nearly bought it thinking he was giving it away at that price. So glad I didnt now.
  • supersonic
    The rise of the 650b has happened for a few reasons, and is in part a self perpetuating loop. A few originally introduced it as an alternative to 29ers, the 'benefits of both, best of all worlds blah blah'. And I believe many of those manufacturers just wanted a slice of the big wheel pie after seeing the success Spesh has had (but wanted to do it differently). There has been demand, no denying that, and people do like to try new things. But this demand gives the manufacturers reason to insist that it is the only way they can sell new stuff as everybody wants it (when they don't, people still want 26ers, and 29ers for that matter), thus making them successful through lack of choice. And so it continues and pushes the market. Add to that the fact that others jump on incase they might get left behind, then the choice is limited even more.

I like the idea of replacable dropouts on frames - if done right you could run the frame 650b or 26er. The difference in forks is so little I don't know why they just don't make the brace higher on 26er forks and be done with it. Ok, you get a slight differences in trail with bigger wheels hence different offset is built in, but head angle variation and other factors can overwhelm this.

Which simply asks the question - why bother at all when is so slight?
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Agree with most if not all you say.
    Does beg the question: Would it be same if it was vice-versa - if they'd started with 650b, would they now be touting 26"?
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I seem to have been labelled as someone who has drunk the Kool-aid on here about Big Wheels, but I'm really surprised about how fast this is moving...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    stubs wrote:
    JMcP92 wrote:

Nowt wrong with them really apart from welds that look like they were welded by a drunk on a pogostick. Its Orange riders they are often the sort of bore who makes you want to eat your own ears.

Really? I find over-opinionated mtbers who take the pee out of other people's bikes have the same effect on me...
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • pesky_jones
    miss notax wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    JMcP92 wrote:

Really? I find over-opinionated mtbers who take the pee out of other people's bikes have the same effect on me...

:D