My new ride - Boardman Team FS

Comments

• That's just on the river next to the rowing club (hence the racing boat, top right corner) just up from Saltaire (which is home to Salt's Mill, if you know your Victorian history).

theres lovely scenary near me but unfortunately it does mean cycling down a busy road with trucks and shit trying to run you over. but nice areas are full of people fishing damm those idiots dont they know you can buy fish these days
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Id be tempted to get the replacement frame and sell that as a frame only? It'll be like new wont it? never used? then you can replace the frame with something a little more reliable and build it up with the parts you already have? There's no end of good second hand frames out there to be had that would be lovely bikes with them components on!

something like this for example?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1386750/

You'd get over half that money back from your frame/shock surely?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You would need to find one that worked with same size bottom bracket, fork steerer, seatpost, cable lengths etc though, if you wanted to transplant all your parts.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    *AJ* wrote:
    Id be tempted to get the replacement frame and sell that as a frame only? It'll be like new wont it? never used? then you can replace the frame with something a little more reliable and build it up with the parts you already have? There's no end of good second hand frames out there to be had that would be lovely bikes with them components on!

does say

"DONT OFFER ME YOUR HALFORDS PILE OF TISH AS I WILL IGNORE YOUR MESSAGES"

lol
  • *AJ*
    POAH wrote:
    *AJ* wrote:

does say

"DONT OFFER ME YOUR HALFORDS PILE OF TISH AS I WILL IGNORE YOUR MESSAGES"

lol

I did see that and have a little giggle....
  • *AJ*
    apreading wrote:
    You would need to find one that worked with same size bottom bracket, fork steerer, seatpost, cable lengths etc though, if you wanted to transplant all your parts.

Fork steerer and rear wheel probably the most important, bottom bracket will just need a spacer added or taken away.

Seatpost - not reall an expensive part, and you could shim it if the new frame was bigger.

As for cables? Seriously???? These are so cheap I wouldn't even think about it.

My point is, with a frame change he would end up with a much nicer bike, for a lot less than he would have done buying one new! The parts on the boardman are good, it's obviously the frames/pivots/bearings letting them down!
  • fredblob wrote:
    That's just on the river next to the rowing club (hence the racing boat, top right corner) just up from Saltaire (which is home to Salt's Mill, if you know your Victorian history).

theres lovely scenary near me but unfortunately it does mean cycling down a busy road with trucks and shoot trying to run you over. but nice areas are full of people fishing damm those idiots dont they know you can buy fish these days

I can start on a bridal path a few yards from my house, so that 23.4 miles only included a few hundred yards of road.
  • *AJ* wrote:

Yes, the replacement frame will be brand new, fresh from the warehouse. That possibilty occured to me too, subject (as has been said) to parts compatibility (BB, rear wheel, steerer tube length, fork travel etc).

That Santa Cruz frame in your link looks interesting (and not too far away). Get that anodised and it would build up into a nice looking bike, but as far as I can tell from Googling the 2009 frame doesn't have a tapered headtube, so my forks wouldn't fit?
  • *AJ*
    Not sure pal, just had a quick look for a nice example on pinkbike...

How about one of these....

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITELGUV3 ... _rt3_shock
  • *AJ* wrote:
    Not sure pal, just had a quick look for a nice example on pinkbike...

How about one of these....

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRTITELGUV3 ... _rt3_shock

I do like those, and they seem great value (either as a frame or complete bike). I had a quick play on Ed's own bike (his raw finish medium, rather than the orange small in that vid) on Saturday, his has the Cane Creek DB shock. It wouldn't work with my 130mm travel fork though, and is probably too AM focused for my riding - it'd be wasted on what I'd be doing on it with my lack of ability really (possible future purchase though...)

I like the orange best, and that's £100 cheaper than the other colours. Maybe that's a sign from the gods, lol...
  • Washed it today and after washing the creak wasn't creaking. I'm sure that's not cause and effect though. I can't tell whether the creak's coming from the linkage, or the main chainstay pivot :roll:
  • Went in to Halfords today to enquire what was happening with my warranty frame (I'd been told that it had been ordered and that they'd be back in stock at head office on August 31st, and mine would be in store a couple of days later, but I've heard nothing since). Turns out that they are back in stock at head office, but it appears mine hadn't been ordered. Fucktards...

:roll:
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Just tell the helmets to give you your money back mate
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    New 2014 range are being delivered to stores now. Had a look at the paper work in store yesterday. Similar designs and some more widespread use of shimano components by the looks of it.

Oh, my crank bolt retaining ring fell out the last ride I went on. The list of fails continues!
  • johnsav wrote:
    New 2014 range are being delivered to stores now. Had a look at the paper work in store yesterday. Similar designs and some more widespread use of shimano components by the looks of it.

There's a thread with (blurry) pics and specs of the new 2014 models - Team FS gets 650b wheels, new frame and spec downgrades. The new Pro FS looks a very nice spec, but that's up to £1599 now:

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12941098

I think I'm gonna build mine onto the new frame when it arrives (no way I'm letting their monkeys loose on it) then, providing the new frame behaves itself, ride it for a year then see what bargains are around on end of line 2014 bikes (I do quite fancy a Titus El Guapo though, even though it's more AM than I need). If I get grief from the new frame then I think it might be best just to reject it and get a refund.
  • Avec some Lancashire mud on it (now washed off), after a fun afternoon in the sunshine round Gisburn on Sunday, sporting my new helmet and jersey (sorry about the wheelie bin, couldn't be bothered moving it):

DSCN1008_zps691f1304.jpg

DSCN1007_zpsb0a9ba1c.jpg

So - here's the latest in the saga of Halfords incompetence. I rang the store today to enquire where my frame is, since it's been 13 days since the (belated) order and I've heard nothing, only to be told that it's still showing on order, but hasn't arrived (and obviosuly nobody's bothered to chase it up). Bloke I spoke to promised to chase it up tommorrow morning (it was after 5pm, so head office was closed). They really are a shower of shite... :roll:
  • Spent half an hour carrying out some weight loss modifications this afternoon. It only weighs 2.98kg now, but I'm not sure how well it will ride...

DSCN1009_zpsed3396d9.jpg

Guess what - I didn't need a blowtorch to remove the headset (didn't need anything other than my fingers)... :lol:

Turns out that the creaking was the lower main pivot - the bolt had come loose on the drive side.
  • I would have melted it with a blow torch anyway just to make sure it was not sold on to someone else , after all the new 2014 Boardman range is made up of a selection of old bits from rejected bikes . They have just resprayed them and put on new stickers .

Am I the only person who has not had a Boardman problem ?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Dunno. Have you got a Boardman, lol?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    So what's the latest?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Kowalski675
    So what's the latest?

I picked up the new frame (and cranks - they didn't want to change those, but I insisted) on Friday. Haven't done owt with it 'cos I've been full of cold (and played out on motorbike yesterday afternoon). Unboxed it and had a good look at it today. There was a lot of paint on the BB shell faces, so i took it to my LBS this afternoon and had them face it, so now it's ready to build back up (think I might put some helicopter tape on some areas first). I noticed the new frame has a small paint chip next to one of the linkage pivots and a small spot of missing lacquer on the top tube, but I couldn't be bothered going back to moan about those (especially after having the BB faced) - it's bound to pick up a few scratches and scars in use anyway. Check out the new design of 2014 Rockshox Monarch, lol:

DSCN1011_zps51868192.jpg

DSCN1012_zpsad9a2a37.jpg

Hoping to build it back up onto the new frame tomorrow.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    What about one of these?

http://www.probikeshop.com/viper-mtb-ni ... 82958.html

CRC used to stock the Viper Freeplay frames for similar cheapness and had some good reviews. I believe someone on here has one built up.
  • Angus Young
    They've done away with the small piece of metal that forms the triangle between the top tube and seat tube. Was that a weak point or is this just a cheaper way to do it, perhaps?

I'm thinking of taking an ebay punt on one of these. They seem to come up quite regularly and for somewhere between £550 and £650 for examples that look almost new it's very tempting, despite the occasional horror story. And I'm sure that for every thread like this where people have to swap frames and swear at Halfords there's a thousand riders just out enjoying their Team FS. Besides, as you pointed out earlier, there are plenty of people spending a small fortune on Lapierres and the like who have stories to tell as well.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Check out the new design of 2014 Rockshox Monarch, lol:

hope my new 2014 RC3 plus on order is not so wooden
  • Kowalski675
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    What about one of these?

http://www.probikeshop.com/viper-mtb-ni ... 82958.html

CRC used to stock the Viper Freeplay frames for similar cheapness and had some good reviews. I believe someone on here has one built up.

Not familiar with that make, but looks like a bit of a bargain at that price (only L and XL available though). Geometry looks XC biased, but their figures are based on a 120mm fork, so presumably a 130 wouuld slacken things up slightly. Prefer the white and blue option to the white/red myself.
  • Kowalski675
    POAH wrote:
    Check out the new design of 2014 Rockshox Monarch, lol:

hope my new 2014 RC3 plus on order is not so wooden

You don't think it's the future then, lol?
  • Kowalski675
    They've done away with the small piece of metal that forms the triangle between the top tube and seat tube. Was that a weak point or is this just a cheaper way to do it, perhaps?

You know what, I hadn't noticed that, lol, well spotted. The new frame is gussetted at that joint, but it's smoothed out tube, rather than the straight shark fin brace on the original one. Looking at the pics closer there's other small differences too. The cable guides are neater on the new one (with plastic clips, rather than the cable ties of the original) and positioned slightly differently. Looking at the position of the "Team CB" graphic on the top tube, either the graphic's longer, or the top shock mount has been elongated. The design of the chainstays is subtly different too (can you see in th epics, for example, where the old frame has a "dimple" below the rearward brake hose clip, but the new one doesn't?). I've just slotted the rear wheel in out of curiosity and (without both frames side by side to compare) I think the clearance between the front edge of the tyre and the chainstays is larger on the new frame. On the original frame the tyre ran very close to the chainstays (especially on the left), but on this one I reckon the clearance is better. I don't think my 2.35 front would've fitted in the rear of my original frame, but on this one I think it would. It would be interesting to compare it side by side with my mate's older Team FS. Hopefully the changes are for the better - it would seem unlikely that they'd alter the design of the frame just to make it cheaper, when it's a discontinued model, and they'll only be producing a few frames for warranty purposes - it would surely be cheaper just to continue with the tooling for the original design?

Old frame:
    DSCN1009_zpsed3396d9.jpg

New frame:
    DSCN1011_zps51868192.jpg
    I'm thinking of taking an ebay punt on one of these. They seem to come up quite regularly and for somewhere between £550 and £650 for examples that look almost new it's very tempting, despite the occasional horror story. And I'm sure that for every thread like this where people have to swap frames and swear at Halfords there's a thousand riders just out enjoying their Team FS. Besides, as you pointed out earlier, there are plenty of people spending a small fortune on Lapierres and the like who have stories to tell as well.

For the money (I paid £850 brand new for mine) they are very good. The component spec's higher than it has any right to be at that price point and the bike does ride really well (admittedly I'm just a newbie, but most reviews back that opinion up). Yes, some people do have some problems, but (as already said) how many people have you heard complaining of broken (far more expensive) Lapierre frames (quite a few, and I'm only new to the MTB thing), and people who have problems are always more vocal on the internet than those who've been perfectly happy with their purchase (and are probably busy out riding, lol). Next year (funds permitting) I may upgrade, if I think I'm riding enough (and well enough) to justify it, but for now this bike is better than its pilot, by some margin. Doesn't stop me drooling over other more expensive stuff though - this week it's the new Whyte G150...
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The new frame is not the 650b one is it?
  • Kowalski675
    apreading wrote:
    The new frame is not the 650b one is it?

No, that's different again:

Boardman_650b_TeamFS_xl.jpg

I've not seen one like this new one they've given me. Google images pics are all the same as my original frame.
  • Angus Young
    I've just noticed that that top tube/seat tube joint is how they're doing it on the new Pro FS 650B. You got an upgraded joint!