What constitutes a "tough" sport?

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Not sure how they generalise for sports where there are lots of different positions each doing different things, playing prop is very different to playing fullback, being a goalkeeper is different to being a winger (soccer/football).
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    @ Pinnarello001 & Vtech

The OP was not a case of me getting personal with, or having a go at Vtech. I was just quoting him from his post in the other thread to highlight why I initiated this one. Unless I've misunderstood you two.

Then why didn't you stick this thread in cake stop? -

I hereby charge you 'Frank the tank', with failure to post a thread in keeping with the base tradition and culture of Bottom Bracket (the clue is in the name). Due to the heinous crime of attempting to be philosophical and reasonable, I with the powers invested in me, sentance you to 3 hours of this:

Don't do it again

and...

You are to be locked in a shed for 3 weeks with Claire Balding.

As for the rest of you, you humourless ba$tards, this is just the beginning...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    :lol::lol:

Three weeks in a shed with Claire Balding......................Has this been cleared with "Cleat" I don't want to upset him an all. :wink:

BTW, On tv last week Clair revealed that her first love' name was FRANK..............................It was a horse. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Football is easy compared to cycle racing!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Football is easy compared to cycle racing!

cycling is easy compared to football.
    Living MY dream.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I'm with the dude re lacrosse - I played for both my universities and its freakin' tough going - you try running around for 80 minutes in full padding and helmet while some big bloke playing long stick defence is trying to take your head off with a 6 foot metal pole.

Tennis is still a children's game played and watched by toffs. Half the time they're sitting down drinking Robinsons squash, the other half they're standing there grunting at each other. Spectators are just there quaffing bubbles, eating strawberries and cream and bemoaning property prices in the Shires.

Anyway, no cage fighting or weird stuff like that in the list? How about Kabaddi? Now that's a proper sport compared to gaytennis.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    No Shinti or Gaelic football or Australian rules football either for that matter.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Yossie
    How about head polo c.Genghis Khan time - played with the heads of enemies.

Ok, fine if you're the dude on the horse but a tough call if you're the head ......

Can't see Tim Twatman getting up from that one somehow.
  • Not sure whether or not I would claim it to be the toughest, but having played, coached & watched Rugby Union for over 30 years I'm convinced that a pro player will be killed on the pitch in very few seasons to come. The trend for bigger, faster, stronger players in all positions will lead to this outcome. Hits are getting harder and harder every season, the human body can only take so much high impact; just look at the amount of head injuries the Aussies suffered in the first test v The Lions last Saturday. I really hope I'm wrong but I think its, ultimately, inevitable.
  • Yossie
    Its because they are all on steroids - bigger, faster, stronger - errr, you can only reach a certain point before you need the likes of Dr F and Dr F ........
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    No Shinti or Gaelic football or Australian rules football either for that matter.
    Or Hurling.
  • Yossie
    kick boxing?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    squash
    Living MY dream.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Don't mind if I do...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Yossie wrote:
    Its because they are all on steroids - bigger, faster, stronger - errr, you can only reach a certain point before you need the likes of Dr F and Dr F ........
    My thoughts exactly.
    The Scottish internationalists bulked up noticably within a year of the game becoming professional*.
    That would purely be down to training methods obviously. :wink:
    Unfortunately it didn't help their ball handling skills. :twisted:

* this is only an opinion with no basis on facts.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    At the risk of being alienated from the forums forever...

What about Triathlon?
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    daviesee wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    My thoughts exactly.
    The Scottish internationalists bulked up noticably within a year of the game becoming professional*.
    That would purely be down to training methods obviously. :wink:
    Unfortunately it didn't help their ball handling skills. :twisted:

* this is only an opinion with no basis on facts.

It wasnt just Scotland, most teams did it. Teams suddenly had to be a lot more accountable for their results and professionals found themselves with a lot more time on their hands as they didnt have to worry about a day job which lead to more time spent training, I know many teams looked to replicate the practices of Super League teams and so started investing in sports science.

A quite interesting but old article on the subject http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2005/mar/21/rugbyunion.comment
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Yossie wrote:
    Anyway, no cage fighting or weird stuff like that in the list? How about Kabaddi? Now that's a proper sport compared to gaytennis.

That's covered by 6. Martial arts.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I'm surprised there isn't more people that are putting the plug in for cycling here on BR.

Probably goes without saying though
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    IIRC from Uni , Intensity/ exertion in exercise was measured in METS or Metabolic Equivalent.
    Working from the base line that 1MET was your standard sedentary metabolic rate.

Cross County (Nordic Skiing) had he highest index at 12.
  • Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
    ... anything that is not golf.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I played Ice hockey for years. And whilst it is tough, I actually think its overrated in terms of "tough". Yes I've broken bones etc.. so have footballers, and they're not "tough".

I think amercian football is much tougher, and rugby should be higher. Oz rules football is also mental, those guys just kill each other.

Cycling is one of the few sports that mixes serious and real risk of injury with serious real risk of physical collapse - no matter the level of fitness.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Someone will inevitably turn up and say football (FA) is for poofs.

That person has never played football (FA) at a decent level. I just thought I'd get that in there (maybe I'm too late, I haven't read the rest of the thread).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • The toughest sports out there have to measured as a combination of how physically exhausting the training/competing is, so here's my list

1 - 400m running
    2 - Sprint cycling
    3 - Rugby
    4 - NFL
    5 - MMA
    6 - Test Cricket
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I went to proper hard school up north where in winter you had to choose between rugby and lacrosse only. I ended up playing rugby because lacrosse is quite clearly for suicidal homicidal lunatics, particularly played without armour, as it often was in those days at junior level.
    http://www.momsteam.com/sports/risk-sud ... sse-hockey
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Clearly boxing doesn't need championing, as it is already high on most lists. But any sport where you have to go out and literally fight someone else to put bread on the table is something I cannot imagine. You cannot hide in a team and can only make decent money if you are in the top % of athletes - and even then you'll probably get shafted by hangers on.

My uneducated guess is that training day in day out, as part of a team sport with support network and centralised coaching (e.g. club rugby, football) is probably mentally easier than living on the road (cycling, tennis) and being a solo athlete (tennis).

Off topic, but I recently read the Sugar Ray Leonard autobiography, and can very much recommend it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What constitutes a tough sport?

One where pain tolerance / management is a significant factor in your ability to be successful in your sport.

Also - where the schedule / frequency of competition means you cannot compete at your optimal / strictly healthy bolidy level.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Chess.

Brutal game. I'm serious. At grandmaster level it is the intellectual equivalent of standing 4ft from your opponent and smashing him in the face with a hammer.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I'm sorry I can't find the clip. I think it was Bob Monkhouse hosting Family Fortunes who asked a contestant to name a dangerous race.

His reply, 'Arabs'

Before someone yells 'Racist', I am just posting what I found to be an unexpected answer. Make your own minds up on its validity.

The link is to a list of other stupid answers.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/8716 ... tants.html
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I'm sorry I can't find the clip. I think it was Bob Monkhouse hosting Family Fortunes who asked a contestant to name a dangerous race.

His reply, 'Arabs'
    Remember that bloke who answered "turkey" for every answer in the final round? :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.