What constitutes a "tough" sport?

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited August 2013 in The bottom bracket
So as not to spoil the ladies tennis thread, let's continue the discussion here.

Vtech has posted that apparently tennis is the 7th toughest sport.

He doesn't say which the first six are toughest or how the conclusion was drawn.

Come on mate fill us all in on the data. Cheers. :)
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    The toughest sport is actually expressing an opinion on BR without it getting personal.
    Thats No.1

Whats next?
    2. Catching female mud wrestlers at full tilt
    3. Getting your missus to agree to taking 2 weeks off to go cycling over French Mountains
    4. Cycling in the West Coast of Scotland for 51 and a half weeks out of the 52
    5. Getting a picture of Nena and asking her to flash her norks through a crowd of 'wellwishers'
    6. Trying to catch Claire Balding when she is on horseback and you have your trousers around your ankles.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    That's the thing though, everyone defines tough in a different way. Most would probably argue any sport that carries the risk of death or serious injury is automatically ahead of knocking a ball over a net in terms of toughness but I suspect Vtech is referring to physical endurance only. I'd happily have a game against Murray as the worst thing that can happen is I'll get beat. Facing Dale Steyn at the crease when he's fit and furious however is something I'd probably say no thanks to, I'd rather not have +90mph cricket balls bouncing towards my throat!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    So as not to spoil the ladies tennis thread, let's continue the discussion here.

Vtech has posted that apparently tennis is the 7th toughest sport.

He doesn't say which the first six are toughest or how the conclusion was drawn.

Come on mate fill us all in on the data. Cheers. :)

Tennis seems pretty tough - longest ever match at Wimbledon was 11 hours :shock:

anyway.. cycling is pretty cushy since they're sitting down all day!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Chess is pretty hardcore - loads go mental and/or russian
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Apparently this is the list ?

BTW, im not going to get upset, I just thought that someone saying tennis wasn't a tough sport was either trying to get a reaction or just plain stupid (no offence) as tennis is quite clearly one of the most demanding sports you can play.
    As mentioned above, people quote "hard" or "tough" in different ways, im talking about taxing on the human body.

1 Boxing
    2 Ice Hockey
    3 American Football
    4 Basketball
    5 Wrestling
    6 Martial Arts
    7 Tennis
    8 Gymnastics
    9 Baseball/Softball
    10 Soccer
    11 Skiing: Alpine
    11 Water Polo
    13 Rugby
    14 Lacrosse
    15 Rodeo: Steer Wrestling
    16 Track and Field: Pole Vault
    17 Field Hockey
    17 Speed Skating
    19 Figure Skating
    20 Cycling: Distance
    20 Volleyball
    Living MY dream.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited June 2013
    List looks debatable but fair, so just to beat everyone else to the punch…..

Source?

Probably American due to mention of that dreaded word - soccer.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    VTech wrote:
    Apparently this is the list ?

BTW, im not going to get upset, I just thought that someone saying tennis wasn't a tough sport was either trying to get a reaction or just plain stupid (no offence) as tennis is quite clearly one of the most demanding sports you can play.
    As mentioned above, people quote "hard" or "tough" in different ways, im talking about taxing on the human body.

1 Boxing
    2 Ice Hockey
    3 American Football
    4 Basketball
    5 Wrestling
    6 Martial Arts
    7 Tennis
    8 Gymnastics
    9 Baseball/Softball
    10 Soccer
    11 Skiing: Alpine
    11 Water Polo
    13 Rugby
    14 Lacrosse
    15 Rodeo: Steer Wrestling
    16 Track and Field: Pole Vault
    17 Field Hockey
    17 Speed Skating
    19 Figure Skating
    20 Cycling: Distance
    20 Volleyball
    Rugby should be much higher. Number 2 or 3 maybe. Looks like an American devised that list.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    What, no Bingo? :D
  • alihisgreat
    daviesee wrote:

Source?

Or Canadian since Ice Hockey is so high on the list!
  • VTech
    daviesee wrote:

Source?

It's funny because almost all scientific lists that I have read, rate figure skating in the top 5 physically demanding sports.
    Living MY dream.
  • alihisgreat
    VTech wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

Source?

It's funny because almost all scientific lists that I have read, rate figure skating in the top 5 physically demanding sports.

Scientific lists?

I prefer papers and journals but ok...
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    What? No distance/marathon running, triathlon or squash?
  • KMC1993
    KMC1993 Posts: 101
    Why is rowing not on that list? Should be in the top 3. Also rugby lower than football? who came up with this?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Darts. You cover miles walking the bar, oche and board and back. Never mind lifting your pint all the time.
  • rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    Lacrosse needs to be bumped up the list a bit too.... a bunch of deranged loonies running about the field bombing a solid rubber ball about the place broken up with getting beaten with aluminium sticks about the head and body.... awesome fun :lol:
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    @ Pinnarello001 & Vtech

The OP was not a case of me getting personal with, or having a go at Vtech. I was just quoting him from his post in the other thread to highlight why I initiated this one. Unless I've misunderstood you two.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • VTech
    @ Pinnarello001 & Vtech

The OP was not a case of me getting personal with, or having a go at Vtech. I was just quoting him from his post in the other thread to highlight why I initiated this one. Unless I've misunderstood you two.

I knew you weren't having a pop at me, its actually a great question.
    Living MY dream.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think a list list that long that doesn't include F1 is probably not worth taking seriously. A lot of the sports listed could be managed recreationally by an amateur of fairly average fitness. I can't see the average person surviving many laps in F1 nor can I see the average person handling a Grand Tour over three weeks at any pace.

But there are lots of ways you can define 'tough'.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    To answer the original question, my definition would be -

Any sport where injury is expected rather than a possibility is tough.
    Any sport where failing to complete due to exhaustion is a probability is tough.*

Any sport that meets both these requirements is seriously tough. 8)

*Any sport can be considered tough. Finishing a 100m sprint will be tough for an obese person.
    For this debate lets assume that the participants are match/race fit and skilled in the first place. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Rolf F wrote:
    I think a list list that long that doesn't include F1 is probably not worth taking seriously. A lot of the sports listed could be managed recreationally by an amateur of fairly average fitness. I can't see the average person surviving many laps in F1 nor can I see the average person handling a Grand Tour over three weeks at any pace.

It's a difficult one isn't it? Could I last 90 minutes during a premiership football match? Yes (well - assuming I wasn't immediately substituted off, which I would be), but I wouldn't be performing at anything like the level of a professional player. On the other hand I simply wouldn't be able to go the distance in something like a Grand Tour, a professional boxing match or an F1 race.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    How can Rodeo:Steer Wrestling be so low down the list.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Rowing is a tough sport. The distance saddles that uncomfortable place between a power and an endurance sport which leaves the athletes in pieces when they are in a close race. Top rowers are known to go very deep in training as well and commonly row themselves to the point of collapse.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Rolf F wrote:

Indeed. There are tougher motor sports than F1 though. MotoGP for for example.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • They did a few tests on Alun Wyn Jones, the Welsh lock, a few years ago... Seems he lost a bit over 5kgs of body weight during an 80 minute game of rugby. That's got to make it pretty tough.

And I'd agree rowing should be on there. It's a power sport, at sprint speed, over stamina distance... But then again, it is sitting down...
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

I think this is where VTech got his list from and it sort of makes sense when you take into account how it is measured.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Can't believe table tennis isn't in there, it's bloody knackering!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Yeah, nice idea, but definitely flawed...

Baseball is on there, but cricket isn't. Max speed of bowl/pitch almost identical at 100mph, reaction times etc... Although in cricket you have to factor in it bouncing off the ground. Plus being hit with the ball is a far greater chance. Not sure how many batters are hit by a pitch in first class baseball, but it's relatively common in cricket. The use/non-use of a face guard with the helmet and pads are probably good tell tales about that.

Plus in baseball you hit the ball well once, run round a square and sit down, or miss it three times and sit down. Athers batted for over 10 hours in one innings...

Oh, and football apparently needs more strength than rugby... 8-'

So quite a good scale for marking sports, but not sure who assigned the numbers or decided which sports to use... 'cos they got it wrong quite a lot.
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I think that bull fighting is not too girly.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Played and reffed ice hockey and it is seriously demanding on a surprising scale. Having said that, there is nothing more tedious than players relentlessly going on about how hard they are all by association. I can't imagine playing rugby without a lobotomy.
    I ran a 69 mile ultra at the weekend, wasn't easy but wasn't as hideous as expected.
    Cycling wins for me but any sport done to your personal max is as hard as any other. My run was OK because I paced well. If I'd raced it would be very different.
  • VTech
    Most people are confusing tough with dangerous.

Figure skating is the most punishing sport on the human body according to many lists.
    Living MY dream.