Cound v Bike Pure

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Not once do I ever use their silence or their refusal to tell me something as 'evidence' of them doing what I asked them about, it is only evidence of them not wanting to release information to me.

I get emails all the time that I don't respond to - it is only evidence of me being lazy and spending too much time on bikeradar
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    So all this about....

I'll just get back to laughing at Australia.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Crozza wrote:
    I get emails all the time that I don't respond to - it is only evidence of me being lazy and spending too much time on bikeradar

Yep, works that way with me too. :) Although some of these people have to at least respond with a 'fck off' what with them being elected officials and the like, there's rules for how they deal with requests that they have to stick to.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    This site has been around for a long time. It would cease to exist if it was a flash in the pan PR stunt to mke money type of thing.

--

From 2008 thread:
    ooopps:-

from Bike Pures Facebook site :-

"Caisse d'Epargne rider Ruis Costa has tested positive for a banned stimulant. Sadly, Costa aligned himself with our organisation and has been removed from our website. We'll be issuing a statement on our website soon."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited June 2013
    When Bike Pure started it was a simple concept (around when Froome would have joined). Riders signed up to a pledge to abide by the anti-doping rules. It showed a public commitment to anti-doping. The website said it should be as a personal thing for the rider. If you look hard enough you can still find a reference to that pledge - The pledge not to cheat, is not between the rider and Bike Pure – but between rider and his friends, family, fans and team mates. You could buy a wristband for about a quid. It was a humble objective and well meaning.

A few years on and I look at their website. The first thing I see is promotion for their merchandise. I look to see if they still have the full pledge - I can't find it. I do, however, find a way to get 'Bike Pure Certified' - prices start at $250 for which you get a wristband and 5% goes to an anti-doping fund. If you want a certificate it's $500.

The whole thing is tawdy BS. Anti-doping is starting to operate like organised religion. As L.Ron Hubbard allegedly said "Start a religion. That's where the real money is".
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    I havent looked at their site for years and dont intend to but yes if they are trying to ask for money to be certified then I suggest a boycott.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    I havent looked at their site for years and dont intend to but yes if they are trying to ask for money to be certified then I suggest a boycott.
    I wouldn't make that sort of thing up.

You can read their brochure here - they call it a 'donation package'.

http://bikepure.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... n-2012.pdf
  • frenchfighter
    A. Its Australian.

B. There are so many issues with info on page 9 and 10 I dont know where to start.

C. Am I seeing things? Page 13 has Rui Costa on it. The same guy who was done for six months after a contaminated supplement and was removed from BikePure`s site (as per my post above).

D. Strongly suggest you don`t donate. Send some money to Red Cross or similar.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Thanks for that, Rich

And what do we have on page 7:

'Companies who align with Bike Pure via a license agreement automatically become Bike Pure Certified.
    The first such company to endorse a Bike Pure License Agreement were renowned compression clothing
    company SKINS.'

Nice big-up of the Vayer-as-sponsored-by-SKINS-report, too
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Didn't they used to do those rub oon tattoos too?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    As with most things masquerading as do-goodiness ... There is someone making money ... Turns out the dopers are more transparent ...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Senior cult members, known as riders, have to regularly chant their given purity mantras (I sh1t you not)

"@RuiCostaCyclist 3:36pm via Web
    I put my hand up for fair and honest sport!
    Thanks @BikePure @BikePure_Europe :)
    #cycling #ciclismo #worldtour #sport pic.twitter.com/sdE9JoMSYV"
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    A few years on and I look at their website. The first thing I see is promotion for their merchandise. I look to see if they still have the full pledge - I can't find it. I do, however, find a way to get 'Bike Pure Certified' - prices start at $250 for which you get a wristband and 5% goes to an anti-doping fund. If you want a certificate it's $500.

Oh my giddy aunt! :shock:

Who would like to be ATC™ certified clean? Yours for only €1.99 via PayPal. For an extra €0.99 you can get an additional ordination as a priest, rabbi, imam or other religious authority figure of your choosing.

You could alternatively go for the DELUXE package that includes the ATC™ Certificate of Cleanliness (overseen by Kim and Aggy off the telly), a certificate of ordination with a complimentary dog-collar, kippah or jalabiya (other religious garments/accessories are available upon request), a certificate from the Gillian McKeith School of Nutrition which enables you to examine people's poo and a Kimmage Fund Complimentary Mug. All of this for a bargain busting €9.99!
  • Richmond Racer
    Throw in a Bernie mug and you've got a deal
  • above_the_cows
    Throw in a Bernie mug and you've got a deal
    That's the SUPER DELUXE Package.
  • RichN95.
    How much is it to be ATC Certified Filthy? I want the package with guide to Amsterdam's red light district and some hash cakes.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    How much is it to be ATC Certified Filthy? I want the package with guide to Amsterdam's red light district and some hash cakes.

Priceless. Although for that I do except Mastercard.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:

Priceless and would I find them on QVC.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bikeradar pro race forum - where we talk as much sh!t as everyone else but don't think people should give a monkeys.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Chapeau Rich! Perfect description!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    deejay wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Priceless and would I find them on QVC.

Not on QVC I'm afraid but I do have a slot on the Dutch sister station, PVC.
    Bikeradar pro race forum - where we talk as much sh!t as everyone else but don't think people should give a monkeys.

There is no sh!t in the package, only the certified ability to analyse others sh!t which comes in useful when dealing with the original subjects of this thread and there are definitely no monkeys as there's some international convention against including monkeys.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Should we change the thread title to Cound & Jazzy vs Fuller?
    Get a room you two ;)
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I think you'll find we take a dim view of baseless smears and innuendo 8)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    Fuller is such a joke. I fail to see why people don't see right through him.

Recently he's been asking pros to release their power files so that his 'scientist' Vayer can improve his power calculations (why it needs improving I don't know as they already claim +/-2% accuracy - the same as powertap & SRM). I'll leave aside the benefits of full disclosure and peer review which drive actual science for now.

Now, all over Europe there are amateurs riding up and down mountains with power meters & Strava, in races, in training, in sportives - a resource a proper scientist would be keen to tap into. The same laws of physics apply to amateurs as to pros (trust me on this one Jaimie, I've got an engineering degree).

Hundreds - maybe more - sets of data from a selection of abilities would far more valuable than a couple from pros. Not so good if your goal is selling tabloid magazines and compression socks.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    RichN95 wrote:
    Fuller is such a joke. I fail to see why people don't see right through him.

Recently he's been asking pros to release their power files so that his 'scientist' Vayer can improve his power calculations (why it needs improving I don't know as they already claim +/-2% accuracy - the same as powertap & SRM). I'll leave aside the benefits of full disclosure and peer review which drive actual science for now.

Now, all over Europe there are amateurs riding up and down mountains with power meters & Strava, in races, in training, in sportives - a resource a proper scientist would be keen to tap into. The same laws of physics apply to amateurs as to pros (trust me on this one Jaimie, I've got an engineering degree).

Hundreds - maybe more - sets of data from a selection of abilities would far more valuable than a couple from pros. Not so good if your goal is selling tabloid magazines and compression socks.

If he's really desperate, surely he could buy a couple of power meters and ask for guinea pigs on his website to go and ride up hills for him. I'm sure there's plenty of club cyclists would be glad to help him out.

I'll get the ball rolling, I'm off to the pyrenees in August, I'll log some data.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    he's welcome to my data. Its certainly pas normal :cry:
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    he's welcome to my data. Its certainly pas normal :cry:

Not releasing my data, for fear that others catch on to the benefits of the bitter and cornish pasty diet.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Too late... I am already there.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    That's what the Tight Base layers are for is nt it? To hold the belly in?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    [I'll get the ball rolling, I'm off to the pyrenees in August, I'll log some data.

I'm off to the Pyrenees in August too! I reckon any data I logged there would break something, as it will probably show me going backwards in defiance of physics it is so long since I've seen a hill longer than 500m and at anything higher than 20m above sea level. :shock: