Cound v Bike Pure

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited June 2013 in Pro race
Check out Cound's Twitter. Bike Pure have removed Froome from their site. Not sure exactly what's going on, hopefully someone can make more sense of it than me.

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Bike Pure getting some cheap publicity by putting out a press release that they have removed Froome from their list of riders.

Who the hell is Bike Pure anyway? Another speculating punter like us, but with a website?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    And wristbands. Don't forget the wristbands.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Our own RR doing a sterling job here....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Apparently they aim to protect the integrity of cycling and promote clean cyclesport. Cycling fans worldwide deserve heroes they can believe in. Or something.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Will be good to see data from the TJVG at least.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Apparently they aim to protect the integrity of cycling and promote clean cyclesport. Cycling fans worldwide deserve heroes they can believe in. Or something.

I don't. I deserve a good kicking and a tickle, most of the time.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    edited June 2013
    Well, seriously this is nothing more than cheap publicity stunt. Bike Pure have riders who one's assumed agreed back in the mists of time to have their names up on their website. Bike Pure seem to position themselves as part-lobbying group, part-grassroots promotion, and part-this is good PR for you riders (which seems to be a conflict of interest with the lobbying thing).

Riders clearly arent that ar%ed - or indeed Bike Pure not ar%ed about them - poor Burry Stander and Xavier Tondo are still up there on their site as active riders. :shock:

so Bike Pure take it upon themselves 4 days before the start of the Tour to put out a press release that as Froome wont give them his power data, they're throwing him out of the Kool Kids Club.

La Cound is basically intimating some soft blackmailing was going on, on Bike Pure's part.

Bike Pure have a number of riders on their site including TJVG. Not one word said about him and asking him for data. Or Nico Roche. Or Vos. Or anyone else.

Bike Pure are linked with Jaimie Fuller et al. Its all familiar modus operandi, dressed up as 'acting in the interests of the sport'
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Macaloon wrote:

I don't. I deserve a good kicking and a tickle, most of the time.

You deserve to learn more about both jazz and porridge
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    In the press release, Bike Pure say that "we asked for clarification from Chris on a number of occasions in the last 18 months". On Twitter they say "Chris had every opportunity to respond to our requests since December 2012". Why is their story inconsistent?

I'm starting to worry about myself, Michelle Cound is striking me as very reasonable today.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    "VeloNation has sought comment from Team Sky but has not yet received a statement on the matter."

And now it's a story about Sky hiding from doping accusations about their best rider. Good stuff, cycling.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited June 2013
    The Anti-Doping market is crowded place these days. More and more extreme measures are needed to get noticed. If I was a clean cyclist I wouldn't trust any of them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gpreeves

As far as I'm concerned they're nobody. The fact they decide to release this 4 days before the Tour starts (after 6 or 18 months of seeking clarification) is clearly nothing more than a cynical publicity stunt.
  • gpreeves
    edited June 2013
    It really doesn't help their case that their website is so out of date:

http://bikepure.org/riders-and-teams/pro-riders/leigh-howard-htc-columbia/

If I were Chris Froome, I probably wouldn't bother responding to an organisation that hasn't updated rider information since (edit - at least) 2011.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    This is the worst thing about the internet and 'social media' suddenly a bunch of random people think other people owe them something just because they share an interest. Nobodies are now demanding things from organisations and for some reason the organisations often feel they need to concede to those demands just because the nobody has some 'followers'. Next thing you know one of these nobodies will be invited onto national radio in the guise of a 'cycling writer' alongside respected journalists to discuss the history of the sport.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    We all these kinds of crusaders always ask yourself 'What are they selling?'

In this case it's t-shirts at £20 a pop and a range of other merchandise.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    It's all total b*ll*cks isn't it, just a bit old July circus. Even the "good guys" have an agenda, not to mention all the rent a mob, new media tycoons.

I've been seriously considering staying off twitter during the Tour, only thing keeping me on there at the moment is cricket.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Pross wrote:
    This is the worst thing about the internet and 'social media' suddenly a bunch of random people think other people owe them something just because they share an interest. Nobodies are now demanding things from organisations and for some reason the organisations often feel they need to concede to those demands just because the nobody has some 'followers'. Next thing you know one of these nobodies will be invited onto national radio in the guise of a 'cycling writer' alongside respected journalists to discuss the history of the sport.

Just listening to that now - at least Brotherton shuts her up for most of it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • disgruntledgoat
    Turfle wrote:
    "VeloNation has sought comment from Team Sky but has not yet received a statement on the matter."

And now it's a story about Sky hiding from doping accusations about their best rider. Good stuff, cycling.

I'm sure if I did the same I'd get no response. Who are Velonation?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    gpreeves wrote:

As far as I'm concerned they're nobody. The fact they decide to release this 4 days before the Tour starts (after 6 or 18 months of seeking clarification) is clearly nothing more than a cynical publicity stunt.

Nonsense. According to their office calendar they've released this now so that they're just in time for last year's tour...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited June 2013
    This hasn't even generated a new Froome/Sky thread in the asylum.
    Surely clear evidence of it being a non-story? :wink:

Oh and Garmin: How can they be expected to release data,
    when they can't even release their Tour team? :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    ddraver wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Just listening to that now - at least Brotherton shuts her up for most of it...

I've actually warmed to Festinagirl, at least slightly. She seems to have learnt that crying "doping" every time a Sky rider wins isn't very helpful. Plus she will at least debate issues and respond politely, even if you know you'll never win her over on most things.

What i've read of her 100 Tour blog is actually pretty good. She wasn't too bad on the Radio 5 program either, even if she did seem to want to shoehorn as many french words into her replies as possible, but then she is an unashamed Francophile. Whether she deserved to be there is debatable, considering the panel of journalists they already had.

There are an increasing number of twitter cycling "celebrities" who I have an awful lot less time for.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    That's because he has already been tried, convicted and (given a chance) sentenced to death over there.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I spend at least one morning a week emailing and calling various 'actors' in European border control, who work for various EU agencies and various member states, to get information about ongoing areas of my research. Some of them give me information, especially those who I know personally, other times they tell me only what they are permitted to tell me, some times they tell me they can't tell me things, at other times I am ignored completely.

Not once do I ever use their silence or their refusal to tell me something as 'evidence' of them doing what I asked them about, it is only evidence of them not wanting to release information to me. To claim anything else would be seriously bad social 'science', loose me my job and make it very difficult for any other researcher to work with these organisations.

There really are a bunch of muppets in the world aren't there.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    This hasn't even generated a new Froome/Sky thread in the asylum.
    Surely clear evidence of it being a non-story? :wink:

Oh and Garmin: How can they be expected to release data,
    when they can't even release their Tour team? :P

Plus they are still trying to work out how to make a working power meter.
  • disgruntledgoat
    I spend at least one morning a week emailing and calling various 'actors' in European border control, who work for various EU agencies and various member states, to get information about ongoing areas of my research. Some of them give me information, especially those who I know personally, other times they tell me only what they are permitted to tell me, some times they tell me they can't tell me things, at other times I am ignored completely.

Not once do I ever use their silence or their refusal to tell me something as 'evidence' of them doing what I asked them about, it is only evidence of them not wanting to release information to me. To claim anything else would be seriously bad social 'science', loose me my job and make it very difficult for any other researcher to work with these organisations.

There really are a bunch of muppets in the world aren't there.

leaving aside the obvious and yada yada... :wink:

@gietvangent
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Do Bike Pure tell us exactly what they do with any funds raised from donations, wristbands, the kit they sell etc?

Does whoever syphons off funds from Bike Pure to pay for them not having a proper job then disclose exactly why that amount is actually needed to allow them to devote the care and attention it takes to stay on their high horse? ... (for example are they living a life of Heinz (joke intended) beans when Tesco value would do?) ...

Let's create Bike Poor and ask them for details of what they had the heating on at in January this year ...

Bike Pure is looking worse than Ms Cound at this stage ... no-one saw that coming ...
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    (meanwhile Froome-Dog is about to win on the telly) ...
  • PC Copper : 'ullo, 'ullo, 'ullo, you're nicked Fingers.
    Fingers : But I din't do it sir! It ain't wot you fink!
    PC Copper : Sorry Fingers, but we've got CCTV footage of you stealing the Hull Diamond.
    Fingers : But officer, I gotta spreadsheet 'ere wot sez I din't do it.
    PC Copper : Hmmm, so you have. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Best be one your way.
    *rushes off to arrest Nelson Mandela, who has no such spreadsheet*
    Mangeur