13»

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    By my reckoning, 4 times 450 is 1800.

What's a reasonable problem to you?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I find my chains reach 0.75% after 2-3 months, this doesn't seem unreasonable to me frankly.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have no idea what 0.75% on a chain means (I am assuming its some chain stretch thing) but to be honest I ride my chain until I either feel like changing it or the gears start skipping - never measured a chain or worried excessively about it.

1x11 makes some sense - I'd put it on my hardtail as I can pretty much climb in the middle ring on that most climbs with a bit of stomping so 1x11 would only improve that - I only run 3x9 at present on it though. I'm like retro or something.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I have no idea what 0.75% on a chain means (I am assuming its some chain stretch thing) but to be honest I ride my chain until I either feel like changing it or the gears start skipping - never measured a chain or worried excessively about it.

This. Never let me down in the past and the supposedly weaker 10 speed chain has out-lasted and touch wood has been stronger it would seem than previous 9 speed chains. So in my experience atleast I see there being potentially few problems when 1x11 style drivetrains become more common place.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If I was riding on a £330 cassette and a £110 chainring, I'd be checking it and replacing long before skipping would start!
  • Chunkers1980
    When you say 1x11 style drive trains - what do you actually mean?

Smaller than 11t cogs and upwards of 40t rears? Are you fixated on x11 or would 12 be acceptable?
  • supersonic
    11 rear cogs, 1 front chainring. At the minute, just the SRAM system with the 10-42 cassette.
  • paul.skibum

Smaller than 11t cogs and upwards of 40t rears? Are you fixated on x11 or would 12 be acceptable?

Eh? We are talking about 1 front ring and 11 rings at the rear - the new 11 ring cassettes have 10t smallest and 42t largest cogs. I dont know what you are thinking about! Or what Sonic said and beat me to posting.
    supersonic wrote:
    If I was riding on a £330 cassette and a £110 chainring, I'd be checking it and replacing long before skipping would start!

Quite possibly if I was spending that sort of money I would pay more attention - Deore all the way for me currently!
  • Chunkers1980
    Was actually talking to lawman
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    lawman wrote:
    You've never had any worn chain problems?
    Do you ride those two bikes?

Not unreasonable problems, my chains do close to a years riding and 1000 miles before I change them, in fact I got a good 18 months out of the last KMC chain I had and the cassette lasted just as long.
    Hmm, I get much more than that out of mine, but then I do ride them into oblivion, and replace the chainrings, cassette and chain all at the same time - so not really a like-for-like comparison I guess.
    I think the last set (just replaced) on the MTB did about 2K miles, give or take.
  • paul.skibum
    Was actually talking to lawman

Maybe you should say so in your post but in any case your post made no sense.
  • Chunkers1980
    Would've been fine if ss had not stuck a post in the middle.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Would've been fine if ss had not stuck a post in the middle.
    That's why there's a quote feature, so you can show what you're responding to.
  • Chunkers1980
    It would have been sequential, but then another post came in the middle when i submitted and by that point I really cba'd.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    When you say you cba'd - what do you actually mean?

Are you fixated on cba'd or would couldn't be arsed be acceptable?
  • lawman

Well considering my original post was referring to X01 and XX1, I'd have thought it was fucking obvious :lol: do actually contribute anything remotely useful, insightful or smart to this forum or do you just insist on being a complete bellend?
  • paul.skibum
    I don't see how Chunkers comments related to Lawman's. Clearly Lawman is saying 10 speed chains have proven as durable or more than 9 so why wouldn't we assume 11 could do as well. If chunkers is saying "where does the madness end" in a sort of daily mail style hands in the air rant and suggesting do we assume the same for 12 speed or 13 speed then its an odd argument - if he is saying something about gearing ranges then thats just b0ll0cks.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    lawman wrote:

Well considering my original post was referring to X01 and XX1, I'd have thought it was ******* obvious :lol: do actually contribute anything remotely useful, insightful or smart to this forum or do you just insist on being a complete bellend?
    I've never seen him contribute anything useful.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lawman wrote:
    do actually contribute anything remotely useful, insightful or smart to this forum or do you just insist on being a complete bellend?
    To be fair, that could apply to about 90% of us forum users :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:
    do actually contribute anything remotely useful, insightful or smart to this forum or do you just insist on being a complete bellend?
    To be fair, that could apply to about 90% of us forum users :lol:

True, but he seems to contribute even less than the rest of us :lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    You're just peeved because you like to spout unfounded garbage most of the time based on your own narrow experiences and get pulled up on it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Nah, you've got him wrong. Lawman is kind of like an anti-luddite. He hates anything that's more than 6 months old.
    Just don't tell operation yewtree that in case they misunderstand! :lol:
  • supersonic
    Anyone tried singlespeed?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    supersonic wrote:
    yep, in between every gear change. It's the way of the future.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    supersonic wrote:

Singlespeed and rigid with 26" wheels, non hydraulic brakes and no dropper post. Its the way forward
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Only with cottered cranks (working loose every week!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ha, I'd forgotten about that. My first MTB was a revelation due to it's "cotterless cranks"!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cottered cramks - luxury. We had to carve our own out of rocks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cooldad wrote:
    Cottered cramks - luxury. We had to carve our own out of rocks.

Thats nothing we had to invent the wheel first
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap