1x11... the future?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They won't have lost much up until now. XX1 is a lot more than XTR so you would need to be considering getting XTR and there are not many people who want the best on an MTB as you break stuff.

There are people who are maginal on 11-36 x1 setup who would be swayed should the price be campariable to around XT prices by the lure of 10-42 being the 420% range they require.

It's not enough for me, but for sure Shimano's next move will be some form of counter to the SRAM offering.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shimano always release stuff slowly - and this is why it generally lasts longer than SRAM ;-).

But as above they will not be losing much, their after market sales of triples are increasing.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    if it's operating a 42-10t sprocket on the back, what size will the rear derailleur be and what kind of chain angle will it cope with?

surely a rear mech that long will be almost dragging on the floor asking to be smashed off by a rock/root
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Eh, capacity for 42-10 is 32T, less than a standard 3x9 which is 20T front (22-42T) and 23 rear (11-34T)....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes it'll be lower, but over all capacity of the mech is lower, only 32, compared to some triples of 45
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They won't have lost much up until now. XX1 is a lot more than XTR so you would need to be considering getting XTR and there are not many people who want the best on an MTB as you break stuff.

The cassette is more, but the chainset is half the price. In total it's a cheaper groupset.

Shimano tend to make sure things work absolutely 100% before releasing, whilst SRAM often get more 'cutting edge' stuff out, but you end up with things like this 'will it/won't it need a chain guide' type debates (anecdotally I've now heard that the chainrings do wear fast, and chain retention goes to pot when that happens, as I suspected, but a shame none the less).
  • Chunkers1980
    njee20 wrote:

The cassette is more, but the chainset is half the price. In total it's a cheaper groupset.

Crankset is cheaper as you get fewer rings, group as you get less stuff!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nevermind 11 speed. What I really want is a modern 6 or 7 speed set up to fit on my downhill bike. 10 speed is stupid for DH/FR bikes. Every shift is a minimum of two ratio's.
    For XC I'm still happy with my 2x9 set up. It gives me enough range and the ratio's aren't too close.
  • Chunkers1980
    Yeah that's true. Multi release shifters help though, I couldn't go back to single click/swipe, single shift now.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yeah that's true. Multi release shifters help though, I couldn't go back to single click/swipe, single shift now.

They help but when you want to shift fast and hang on through a tech section it's not good having to push the shifter so far.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Not sure I need 11 gears as I only really use about 4 of my current 9 speed 12-34 cassette. Cogs 6,7,8 are basically only used when heading downhill as a way of getting to cog 9. Cog 1 usually only gets used when pedalling a so steep I would be better off pushing climb. Cog 2 gets more use but I only ever wear out 3,4,5. Grinds my gears when I have to bin a cassette with 3 worn cogs and the rest still have the chrome plate on them. I would be doing my nut if it was a £200+ X0 cassette that only had 3 or 4 worn cogs.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    Nevermind 11 speed. What I really want is a modern 6 or 7 speed set up to fit on my downhill bike. 10 speed is stupid for DH/FR bikes. Every shift is a minimum of two ratio's.
    Simple, use a SRAM dismantleable cassette and use the gears you want, get spacers to take up the slack.
    You need to match the cassette to your shifter so the spacing is right, but as the sprockets are the same width then you can top up with sprockets from any cassette.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    That would mean having another SRAM mech. I cant wait for my X0 DH mech to die so I can replace it with Saint.
  • The Rookie
    Why would it mean having a SRAM mech? Shimano mechs work just fine with SRAM cassettes.....
  • rockmonkeysc
    Shimano 10 speed mechs seem to work with SRAM 9 speed shifters and a 9 speed cassette quite well. Unfortunately its the shifters I dont like.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Well why not just use a shimano shifter and shimano mech and adjust the limit screws so they can't go past a certain point? Would make more sense.
  • Chunkers1980
    I don't think it is retricting the number of gears that is his point - it is that in DH you only need a few gears and each should be a fair bit apart. Say 28 for out the gate, 23, 18, 15, 13, 11 for example.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I don't think it is retricting the number of gears that is his point - it is that in DH you only need a few gears and each should be a fair bit apart. Say 28 for out the gate, 23, 18, 15, 13, 11 for example.

Exactly.
  • lawman
    And what has that got to do with the mech and shifter? :? Surely that's the cassette ratios and nothing to do with shifter and mech it is!
  • Chunkers1980
    You're getting confused. Simon was on about making a bespoke cassette to meet his needs.
  • The Rookie
    I was...just use the sprockets you want with the right spacers and pack the rest so it fits the freehub....
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I currently run 2x10 on my enduro bike and get a fair bit of chain loss trouble, I've considered 1x10 but I need the winching gear for trail centres and 1x10 can't give that option.

1x11 will still be a bit of a compromise but far less so and I would seriously consider switching so as to get rid of any chain derailment issues, I'll just need to spin faster in top gear :D
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • supersonic
    MBR have a fairly in depth review of the 1x11 set up. The chain needed repalcing afrter 450 miles, and were a few other niggles, but they rated it 10.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:
    The chain needed repalcing afrter 450 miles, and were a few other niggles, but they rated it 10.
    :shock:
    Riiiight.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    'Needing replacing' meaning 0.5% worn, and to avoid damage to the cassette, or meaning completely trashed? My chains get to the former before that, but will continue to work satisfactorily for significantly longer!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Or "needed replacing because a newer, shinier thing has just come to market"?
  • lawman
    So by that reckoning the chain needs replacing every 3 months in my case!! :shock: Errrmmm yeah, I'll ignore that, never had any problems with worn chains before, especially after that little mileage!!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You've never had any worn chain problems?
    Do you ride those two bikes?
  • supersonic
    They measured 0.75%. With that chainring, and cassette, I'd be changing it!

Actually, I wouldn't be buying in the first place lol.
  • lawman
    You've never had any worn chain problems?
    Do you ride those two bikes?

Not unreasonable problems, my chains do close to a years riding and 1000 miles before I change them, in fact I got a good 18 months out of the last KMC chain I had and the cassette lasted just as long.

It should also be noted that IIRC Sram have changed the chain since MBR did that test to make it more durable after a few snapped chains from mags and riders.

As Sonic said Shimano stuff usually lasts longer but atm Sram are the only option.