Richmond Park TT roll call

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    spasypaddy wrote:
    you're quite tiresome really.

I just asked... no need to get irritated... last year I found that for a "Johnny not so fast" like myself, who is not going to win prizes there was not much... could have done with a sandwich or a slice of cake... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    spasypaddy wrote:

I just asked... no need to get irritated... last year I found that for a "Johnny not so fast" like myself, who is not going to win prizes there was not much... could have done with a sandwich or a slice of cake... :wink:
    The coffee/burger/bacon sarnie van was open this year :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    TGOTB wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

The coffee/burger/bacon sarnie van was open this year :-)

Someone mention food?

Off after Pitchshifter, with IP 2 mins after me.

This is going to feel like SCR on EPO.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    If I lived closer I'd give it a bash. But I don't and its an early start, right?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    First time in Richmond Park this year this morning. Hellish busy even with an 8.30 start, nasty headwind up Sawyers too. Those are my excuses anyway - slow slow slow! Will try and get down there again one night this week I think.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    BigMat wrote:
    First time in Richmond Park this year this morning. Hellish busy even with an 8.30 start, nasty headwind up Sawyers too. Those are my excuses anyway - slow slow slow! Will try and get down there again one night this week I think.

Not just you. The wind was ridiculous and so was the traffic. Full of people riding two abreast (slowly) seemingly oblivious to the fact that cars were waiting to pass. Terrible etiquette.

It's a boring place to ride but it's also very convenient for a bit of training and quite a good benchmark of what sort of shape your legs are in.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Gotto go there earlier... I was there between 7 and 8 this morning and it was lovely
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Yes but I am lazy and live quite a way away. I only go to meet a friend. Evenings after work or weekday mornings are always good. Unless I'm 'working' from home.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'll be there tonight in case anyone wants to run alongside me to keep me company.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    BigMat wrote:
    I reckon Maryka for the winner of ladies road... she knows RP like the back of her hand, won the ladies TT a couple of weeks ago. She's good for podium.

Yeah and Lexie's in the TT cat as well.

I suspect she'll switch that to the road - I can't see why she'd give up the points in the LWCR - although I don't think she'll beat Maryka, she lost 25 seconds at Bedford in only 9 minutes in the TT there. So unless you think Maryka's Jet's are that much faster than the 404's Alexie uses I wouldn't bet on it...

Cracking ride by Alexie in the Nat's today though.

BTW, those people saying how slow their recce's are compared to the on the day results, back when I competed, I did two recces both were over 29:30, on the day I did 26:01 - just a skinsuit and no full pockets / saddlebag as the difference. A number on your back makes a difference - and I'm good at pushing myself!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    BigMat wrote:

Your times in the Park were pretty good considering wind/traffic and your moans about being off the bike. Suspect you will be vying with Gareth for 1st place!

Got out myself today, first ride since my fall on Weds. A few twinges and I'm a little sore this evening, but nothing to worry about I think. Happy days.
  • bigmat

Got out myself today, first ride since my fall on Weds. A few twinges and I'm a little sore this evening, but nothing to worry about I think. Happy days.

Around 9am, Rapha cap, clockwise? Thought I might have spotted you.
  • il_principe
    Was in there at 9, but no Rapha cap - don't get on with their caps at all!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im going for a recce on thursday evening.

any tips for a recce?
  • il_principe
    Yeah, don't crash.
  • bigmat
    spasypaddy wrote:

any tips for a recce?

That corner you're worried about? You can take it wide, easy to see from a distance if cars approaching and if not, cross into right side lane. You can then take a fairly smooth line between the two sections of cobbles. You need to scrub off speed though - say 20mph. More competent riders than me could probably take it faster of course!
  • spasypaddy
    BigMat wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

any tips for a recce?

That corner you're worried about? You can take it wide, easy to see from a distance if cars approaching and if not, cross into right side lane. You can then take a fairly smooth line between the two sections of cobbles. You need to scrub off speed though - say 20mph. More competent riders than me could probably take it faster of course!
    how about the roundabout at the end? im never going to get my BMC round that :lol:
  • Green Brompton
    Green Brompton Posts: 972
    edited June 2013
    I'm going tonight, but not at speed, just for psychological purposes and a quick reccie... I'm one of those people who can get a little worried from the unknown!

Careful on the roundabouts, especially Cancellera corner. You approach it from a slight decent so you will have just started to recover and pick up very much wanted speed after the long drag, so you feel like you want to maintain the speed, but the roundabout can have other ideas. That's my thinking, anyway.

In fact, I'd use it as the one place to recover, then push yourself down Sawyers. I could have it alllll wrong though!
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • spasypaddy
    my problem is that you cant take the racing line through the roundabouts, you HAVE to go around the outside. Surely the point of having closed roads is to allow us to ride the bike the way its meant to be ridden.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Everyone has to adhere to the same rules. So I wouldn't worry about it.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    ^ What okgo said; it's the same for everyone.

Also, bear in mind that you'll have riders going round the corners in both directions. If you're allowed to use the full width of the road at the turns, you either end up with a dangerous risk of head-on collisions, or you create an unfair situation where some riders can take the corners at full speed (because there wasn't anyone coming the other way), and others have to slow down.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • spasypaddy
    i know i know

okgo, do you want those 808s btw they are still available and i would take less than i was originally asking for...
  • il_principe
    Forecast looks perfect:

Screen_Shot_2013_06_24_at_10_50_50.png
  • bigmat
    Should qualify previous comment saying could go on wrong side of road - I meant its probably OK to be on wrong side of the centre line if nothing coming, not suggesting hugging the right hand kerb or anything!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i know i know

okgo, do you want those 808s btw they are still available and i would take less than i was originally asking for...

I am tempted, but just struggling to justify...
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • martinwilly
    martinwilly Posts: 63
    edited June 2013
    Hiya

I'd like to clarify the entry fee for the Richmond Park TTs.

The entry fee is £11.20. I don't know where the £15 figure came from.

London Dynamo don't make a profit. London Dynamo don't want to make a profit! Further more, we're not allowed to make a profit (Royal Parks).

So the costs are made up of:

Prize fund (not entirely funded by our event sponsors).
    Levy on each rider payable to Cycling Time Trials (under who's authority and insurance the event is run).
    RiderHQ charges.
    Charge made by Royal Parks per event (well spotted TGOTB)
    Expenses for the time-keepers (external).
    Catering van charge (for opening early - not cheap but the Parks do not allow alternatives).

There are also of course the signs, hi-vis vests, the gazebo, chairs, table, zip-ties, snips, clip boards and other sundry bits and bobs.

We're making tweaks to the event organisation. Because it's not an open TT (it's a "club" event) we don't have to have CTT time keepers, so in future we won't (there are not many of them and they are not always available) but there are costs associated with timing the event ourselves.

We'll be adding a para category and associated prizes.

So the event entry cost might be tweaked for next year. It always has to balance out to zero.

It's great to see some positive feedback for the events. I've certainly had plenty via email. It's a real privilege to be able to race in Richmond Park and I personally feel I owe a great deal to Rebecca Slack who made the event happen in the first place, as well as to the Royal Parks and, of course, the army of marshals and timekeepers who get up ridiculously early to put the event on. Long may it continue.

Last thing: the top roundabout. I can't steel myself to take the left turn on the skis. Anybody who can: respect. As for the right turn at the same junction (Cancellara Corner), you MUST take a wide line. The inside line is steeply off-camber.

See you all on Sunday. I'll be the start timer.

Martin
    Would you promote cycling on your shorts as you commute? www.quickerbybike.com
  • ugo.santalucia
    Hiya

I'd like to clarify the entry fee for the Richmond Park TTs.

The entry fee is £11.20. I don't know where the £15 figure came from.

London Dynamo don't make a profit. London Dynamo don't want to make a profit! Further more, we're not allowed to make a profit (Royal Parks).

So the costs are made up of:

Prize fund (not entirely funded by our event sponsors).
    Levy on each rider payable to Cycling Time Trials (under who's authority and insurance the event is run).
    RiderHQ charges.
    Charge made by Royal Parks per event (well spotted TGOTB)
    Expenses for the time-keepers (external).
    Catering van charge (for opening early - not cheap but the Parks do not allow alternatives).

There are also of course the signs, hi-vis vests, the gazebo, chairs, table, zip-ties, snips, clip boards and other sundry bits and bobs.

We're making tweaks to the event organisation. Because it's not an open TT (it's a "club" event) we don't have to have CTT time keepers, so in future we won't (there are not many of them and they are not always available) but there are costs associated with timing the event ourselves.

We'll be adding a para category and associated prizes.

So the event entry cost might be tweaked for next year. It always has to balance out to zero.

It's great to see some positive feedback for the events. I've certainly had plenty via email. It's a real privilege to be able to race in Richmond Park and I personally feel I owe a great deal to Rebecca Slack who made the event happen in the first place, as well as to the Royal Parks and, of course, the army of marshals and timekeepers who get up ridiculously early to put the event on. Long may it continue.

Last thing: the top roundabout. I can't steal myself to take the left turn on the skis. Anybody who can: respect. As for the right turn at the same junction (Cancellara Corner), you MUST take a wide line. The inside line is steeply off-camber.

See you all on Sunday. I'll be the start timer.

Martin

My fault, I remembered last year it was 15, but I clearly don't remember well...
    That's exactly the information I was after and I was curious to know whether the Parks take a slice of the cake, which they do. I was not implying profits, I was only curious to know where the money went... as there wasn't an obvious display of lavish offering of food and beverages to justify it... but now I know... in no way I meant to undermine the event, which is most likely the best TT course in the country and well run.
    Might be back next year, I'm just too fat now
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Forecast looks perfect:

Screen_Shot_2013_06_24_at_10_50_50.png

You want an east wind!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/