Richmond Park TT roll call

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
So myself, bigmat, and IP are confirmed for the 30th im also doing the 14th July.

Anyone else?

route is the red line, out and back from the car park by spankers hill wood
rp_zps54d1afa0.jpg

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Tell me more about this TT, do they have an over 40 and over 115kg category... might stand a chance in that....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • spasypaddy
    nope, they have a road bike (no aero equipment) category and a TT category.

im in the aero category and will be finishing last
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Route starts at the Robin Hood's Gate car park (at bottom of Spankers Hill) then finishes at the top. I'm riding 14 July too. I think CJ and Green Brompton are also there on 30th?
  • spasypaddy
    have they changed the route this year?

im worried that my BMC wont get round the roundabout on the left hand turn at the top of sawyers
  • bigmat
    spasypaddy wrote:

im worried that my BMC wont get round the roundabout on the left hand turn at the top of sawyers

No, that was always the route. Sign on at the top of the hill, ride down to RHG for start.

Why are you worried about that corner? Haven't been to RP for almost a year, have they made any changes? Maybe put the cobbles back? My recollection is that it isn't a particularly sharp left - surely the RAB at Kingston Gate would be more of an issue if you have a small turning circle (still don't get why that would be the case though)?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    According to okgo, the right turn on the way back is more problematic...

I won't be there unfortunately; family commitments on both remaining dates..
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I've signed up for this (30th). Currently cramming some miles in. Not expecting anything special but I'd be pleased with sub 28 min on a road bike.
  • spasypaddy
    BigMat wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

No, that was always the route. Sign on at the top of the hill, ride down to RHG for start.

Why are you worried about that corner? Haven't been to RP for almost a year, have they made any changes? Maybe put the cobbles back? My recollection is that it isn't a particularly sharp left - surely the RAB at Kingston Gate would be more of an issue if you have a small turning circle (still don't get why that would be the case though)?
    my BMC has steering lock!

erm yeah they've added in cobbles to the corner on the racing line through the left hand turn. previously i'd have taken it on the extensions, thinking i might have to scrub off speed and take it on the bull horns...

Always going to have to scrub speed to do the roundabout at the end.
  • tgotb
    edited June 2013
    spasypaddy wrote:
    previously i'd have taken it on the extensions, thinking i might have to scrub off speed and take it on the bull horns...
    Wow, I was never brave enough to take it full-tilt, even before they re-did the cobbles. Chapeau!

Edit: In fact, the only corner on that course that I've ever been brave enough to take at full speed is the Roehampton one, and even then only in the outbound direction. Think I need to work on being a bit more ballsy...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • spasypaddy
    TGOTB wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    previously i'd have taken it on the extensions, thinking i might have to scrub off speed and take it on the bull horns...
    Wow, I was never brave enough to take it full-tilt, even before they re-did the cobbles. Chapeau!
    a left hand turn!? why not?
  • tgotb
    spasypaddy wrote:
    :oops:
    In my defence, it's a fairly tight left-hand turn (for me), and there's another row of cobbles to stop you using the wrong side of the road on the approach...

I've always worked on the assumption that riding over the cobbles is likely to end in tears.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • spasypaddy
    TGOTB wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    :oops:
    In my defence, it's a fairly tight left-hand turn (for me), and there's another row of cobbles to stop you using the wrong side of the road on the approach...

I've always worked on the assumption that riding over the cobbles is likely to end in tears.
    maybe im reading the corner wrong as ive never been there on the TT bike but i dont think when i raced there previously i slowed down on that corner.
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    I will also be doing it on the 30th in the road category... might even take the pannier rack off for it
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    odd that the forum prima MAMIL tri-antelope hasn't signed up, puts in question his whole commitment to IMC if you ask me.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, I'm in for the 30th. Can't say I'm looking forward to it. I was bullied into doing it. You know who you are :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    cjcp wrote:
    Yep, I'm in for the 30th. Can't say I'm looking forward to it. I was bullied into doing it. You know who you are :)

I'd come and watch the shame but i'll be in Wales, you know the place with the mountains :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I managed to get in via the waiting list for this one too. After last times mess up hopefully get a clear ride, sadly no Steve Irwin this time but will be keen to see if I can do decent 23 on that course.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • cjcp wrote:

Don't know what you're talking about... :D

I'm doing it. Not looking forward to it now that I've been off the road bike for over a month. I thought I could train and do sub 30, but I know much faster (2nd cat) girls who did it last year in around 32 ... I'm expecting 33 or slower. Personally I hope that's just me being self deprecating and really I'll be super quick ... :roll:
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • bigmat
    okgo wrote:
    I managed to get in via the waiting list for this one too. After last times mess up hopefully get a clear ride, sadly no Steve Irwin this time but will be keen to see if I can do decent 23 on that course.

At least you might win! I'm assuming you're in the full TT section (please....)
  • tgotb
    spasypaddy wrote:
    its a slow course in all honesty
    Unless you're after a 10/25 PB, some of the most enjoyable courses are "slow". DC courses have their place, and I ride more than a few, but races like this and the sadly discontinued Blenheim one, are a lot more fun (and challenging) to ride...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    its a slow course in all honesty
    Unless you're after a 10/25 PB, some of the most enjoyable courses are "slow". DC courses have their place, and I ride more than a few, but races like this and the sadly discontinued Blenheim one, are a lot more fun (and challenging) to ride...

TGOTB, which do you think is more challenging, Blenheim or the RP TT? I did that in just under 25.30 so around 3 min 20 per mile on the Brompton?

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    BigMat wrote:
    okgo wrote:

At least you might win! I'm assuming you're in the full TT section (please....)

Meh, I like riding against Steve its interesting to benchmark, I have beaten him only once this year vs him beating me 3 times so always interesting to see if the things I am doing are bringing me closer or further away etc as we know the only difference is aero as I produce a lot more power, so its all about position.

Yes I will be on TT bike, I suspect Rob Moore of Phoenix will be right up there, strong as an ox.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • tgotb
    TGOTB, which do you think is more challenging, Blenheim or the RP TT? I did that in just under 25.30 so around 3 min 20 per mile on the Brompton?
    Bit of an apples and pears comparison I'm afraid... Comparing the two courses on a TT bike, I found one lap of the RP course much easier to pace than 3 laps of the Blenheim course; the Blenheim course feels like more of an interval session whereas it's RP lends itself to a pre-planned pacing strategy; how much of this is just because the RP course is very familiar, I'm not sure.
    The BWC was a completely different kettle of fish; that seemed to be all about drafting and traffic.

The BWC was obviously a lot slower than the Blenheim TT, but rather worryingly Hutch's average speed on the Brompton was actually slightly faster than my average on the TT bike :oops:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    TGOTB wrote:
    RP lends itself to a pre-planned pacing strategy

Oooh, strategy. What is this strategy you speak of?
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    TGOTB wrote:

My strategy: Ride as hard and fast as I can for around 10.4 miles. Preferably making sure I am ahead of the virtual training partner on my Garmin.
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Bit of an apples and pears comparison I'm afraid... Comparing the two courses on a TT bike, I found one lap of the RP course much easier to pace than 3 laps of the Blenheim course; the Blenheim course feels like more of an interval session whereas it's RP lends itself to a pre-planned pacing strategy; how much of this is just because the RP course is very familiar, I'm not sure.
    The BWC was a completely different kettle of fish; that seemed to be all about drafting and traffic.

The BWC was obviously a lot slower than the Blenheim TT, but rather worryingly Hutch's average speed on the Brompton was actually slightly faster than my average on the TT bike :oops:

My pacing seems to be pretty decent with just a few seconds difference per lap at the BWC. If it's down to decent pacing, I've got that. It's the power and the can I be a*s*d attitude I need to remember to take with me on the day!

Do speaketh of this pacing strategy?!!!

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • edds wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:

My strategy: Ride as hard and fast as I can for around 10.4 miles. Preferably making sure I am ahead of the virtual training partner on my Garmin.

Just remember not to go out too hard... I've read that if you go out too hard, it may ruin it for you. You want to be riding at your strongest on the third quarter or something.

I'm no expert, but I can also tell you that lack of panniers may help as well. :wink:

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS