Giro Rosa (aka Women's Giro d'Italia)

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,095
edited July 2013 in Pro race
The Giro Rosa (aka Women's Giro d'Italia) starts on the 30th June. It is 8 stages covering 801km. Of note Mara Abbott, the US 2010 winner is back. The Trotts are also riding. There is normally good TV and Youtube coverage of this event. Of course defending champion Vos is going to be there, can Abbott find some of the 2010 magic?

wc1_6557_600.jpg
Mara Abbott
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    No UK TV coverage is there I suppose?

I'd like the BBC to carry show events like this, there is a push to get more people cycling and more women taking part in sport - got to be more of a public service than encouraging people to waste their money on the horses. Plus like Armitstead said in the week - when you think of bike racing you think of battling it out in the mountains or The cobbles not a velodrome.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    I think she is very capable of beating Vos. The last time she did the Giro, she came in the top 10 while suffering with an eating disorder and she was also coming back from a serious crash. Seems like the year out has done her the world of good.

Can Marianne beat Mara? :wink:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    the theme song for this race! Sounds like some italian version of these guys did it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    getting the trotts on a stage race is bad luck
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    800km, is it even worth bothering. Jeez it's no wonder women's cycling gets little credibility when they are doing around 2- 2.5 times less than the guys..Still I enjoy watching the women but come on is 100km a day really testing enough?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    tonyf34 wrote:
    800km, is it even worth bothering. Jeez it's no wonder women's cycling gets little credibility when they are doing around 2- 2.5 times less than the guys..Still I enjoy watching the women but come on is 100km a day really testing enough?

Well, jeez, I think the women would like the stages to be longer. They'd also like the race not to have to keep being cut back because of lack of funding.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    tonyf34 wrote:

Well, jeez, I think the women would like the stages to be longer. They'd also like the race not to have to keep being cut back because of lack of funding.

Or to have it clash with the TdF no doubt so that it could get the attention it rightly deserves.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Turfle wrote:
    I'm pleased to see Sutatip Maneephan getting a ride. Hopefully we will start to see more Thai cyclists in the men's and women's peloton soon.

Given that the cycling in Thailand is so awesome, that they have some of the hardest climbs anywhere in the world, that cycling is seeing a huge upsurge in popularity and that the average Thai is small, wiry and strong, I'm reasonably optimistic that some real cycling talent will emerge from that nation.
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    tonyf34 wrote:

Instead of taking the pish smartarse why not come back with a useful comment, it was to highlight how poorly women are treated in cycling when the organisers can't/don't even want to run a proper race length instead of the medium audax distance of a 100km.
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    I think the shorter stages are much better. The attacking is savage!! Only the final 3 hrs or so are raced properly in the men's peloton anyway..
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    tonyf34 wrote:
    is 100km a day really testing enough?
    This is what some of my female friends who race also say. OTOH shorter duration can mean earlier attacking moves and also bear in mind the range of age & ability is greater than that of the male peloton. And then there's the subject of comfort breaks... can't quite see them rolling up to the side of the road for a mass pee like you get in a 200km Tour de France stage before the TV coverage starts and the guys begin chasing down the day's breakaway in the final, say, 100km.
  • davidof
    Stage 1 (30 June): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4_yWvNia08 - no real race coverage yet. RAI should have broadcast but can't find anything on youtube.

Maglia Rosa ILI_1531.jpg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • DeadCalm
    davidof wrote:
    Not a great day for two of the Brits. Emma Trott lost 1:31 and Katie Colclough a DNF. Sharon Laws came in with the bunch and is 12 seconds behind Vos along with the vast majority of the peloton.
  • davidof
  • DeadCalm
    Giorgia Bronzini won today's stage for Wiggle-Honda ahead of Marianne Vos who extends her lead overall to 17 seconds.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Came to this a bit late, but does seem odd about the distance. I rode the Maratona on Sunday, and there were plenty of women doing very good times over the 138km course. It does seem a shame that one of the biggest races of the womens calendar is easier than say the Haute Route, which of course Pooley rode very well in.

Hopefully things will slowly improve and womens racing will gain an increased profile.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Giorgia Bronzini won today's stage for Wiggle-Honda ahead of Marianne Vos who extends her lead overall to 17 seconds.
    Vos showing some technical skills to avoid hitting the deck in that sprint! http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cn ... 130701_055
  • DeadCalm
    Marianne Vos wins stage 3.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Attacked from about 30km into the race. Few others with her.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    phreak wrote:
    Came to this a bit late, but does seem odd about the distance. I rode the Maratona on Sunday, and there were plenty of women doing very good times over the 138km course. It does seem a shame that one of the biggest races of the womens calendar is easier than say the Haute Route, which of course Pooley rode very well in.

Hopefully things will slowly improve and womens racing will gain an increased profile.

hopefully quickly, not looking to match the TdF in prize money. but 460 euros for the GC win seems pitiful compared to some of the prizes on offer for the mens tour,
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Those clips of them at the presentation all giggling and wiggling to music makes them seem like giggly excitable schoolgirls.

As strong and as fast as some of them are that for me is why I don't watch. Women can be tough, giggly school girls are not. Each to their own I suppose.
  • frenchfighter
    Anyone know what is going on here?
    tumblr_mpb15akZ7U1rhcvito1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I read that Vos pulled her foot out of the cleat in a sprint.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    Thanks both. Great save.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    FJS wrote:

That was a very classy save by Vos, she really is something else.

I know this is going to get me in trouble, but women's racing really does look very slow doesn't it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    FJS wrote:

:shock:

By the way, and I might have mentioned this previously, but I bloody LOVE Marianne Vos.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.