Arrogant Roadies

2

Comments

  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Crikey! This is the beginner's forum, go easy on the OP!

    In answer to the original question, it appears that some people don't reply because they already said hello to somebody last week! :wink:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    marylogic wrote:
    Crikey! This is the beginner's forum, go easy on the OP!

    In answer to the original question, it appears that some people don't reply because they already said hello to somebody last week! :wink:

    derrr beginner..? OP has been on this forum since before it was BR
  • nochekmate if your such a solitary sole stick to rollers. Give me prior warning of your next ride so I don't offend you whilst nodding.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    nochekmate if your such a solitary sole stick to rollers. Give me prior warning of your next ride so I don't offend you whilst nodding.

    Out riding this afternoon and club run tomorrow morning - please acknowledge me otherwise I'll have to shed some tears :cry:

    Not a 'solitary sole' at all and regularly enjoy cycling with others on club runs. What's more I often acknowledge others on the road - just that I don't spend any time worrying about it if this is not returned. Can't see why people are offended if it doesn't happen.

    If I choose to go to a football match do I have to spend my time nodding at everybody else who has chosen to do the same thing that day?

    Anyway off to get the rollers out! :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,119
    Is a solitary sole similar to a friendless flounder?
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    ... or a lonely lungfish
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,270
    ... or a misanthropic monkfish?
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Perhaps they're shy. You didn't think of that, did you? Inconsiderate roadie. :x
  • Why the F would you expect me, as a cyclist to be interested in you, as a cyclist, riding past me?

    It is the same as saying, "why doesn't every driver wave at me and doff his cap" cos he's in a car. Chaos would ensue.

    As TT above has said, some people are shy, like me. I ride my bike to keep fit, not have a chat with some complete stranger coming the other way.

    Completely absurd post. Even more so because the OP is 50 years old.

    On the logic of his OP he must expect every person he walks or drives past to wave, say hello or honk their horn or flash him.

    In 3 years of more serious cycling I can recall um, NO One saying a thing as we cyle past each other. And if I have been overtaken stupidly and I make it up and take them, which sounds like you I just say "***"" & get reminded of this thread.

    Truly absurd & time to grow up I think.

    FYI - I am 16 stone, half your age but seemingly 1/2 the sensitivity & 2X the balls.

    * The other thing is I am usually listening to music, travelling at 15 + miles an hour, keeping my eye out for potholes & car drivers - why would I even be looking at the other side of the road and some clown - regardless of appearance or age - even attempting to make eye contact?

    You haven't quite grasped the concept of cycling - even though you say you have all the gear - yet no idea!

    Thanks for posting though - you have confirmed that I am doing it right and certainly not to engage in anyone coming the other way - like I have been doing.

    Grow up.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Why the F would you expect me, as a cyclist to be interested in you, as a cyclist, riding past me?

    It is the same as saying, "why doesn't every driver wave at me and doff his cap" cos he's in a car. Chaos would ensue.

    As TT above has said, some people are shy, like me. I ride my bike to keep fit, not have a chat with some complete stranger coming the other way.

    Completely absurd post. Even more so because the OP is 50 years old.

    On the logic of his OP he must expect every person he walks or drives past to wave, say hello or honk their horn or flash him.

    In 3 years of more serious cycling I can recall um, NO One saying a thing as we cyle past each other. And if I have been overtaken stupidly and I make it up and take them, which sounds like you I just say "***"" & get reminded of this thread.

    Truly absurd & time to grow up I think.

    FYI - I am 16 stone, half your age but seemingly 1/2 the sensitivity & 2X the balls.

    * The other thing is I am usually listening to music, travelling at 15 + miles an hour, keeping my eye out for potholes & car drivers - why would I even be looking at the other side of the road and some clown - regardless of appearance or age - even attempting to make eye contact?

    You haven't quite grasped the concept of cycling - even though you say you have all the gear - yet no idea!

    Thanks for posting though - you have confirmed that I am doing it right and certainly not to engage in anyone coming the other way - like I have been doing.

    Grow up.


    :lol::lol::lol:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • flyer wrote:
    I just don't get it.

    You are out of a ride on a nice sunny day and I nod, raise my hand or say hello

    And most won't even acknowledge you!!!!

    What is it?

    Because I weigh 15 stone?
    Because I don't look the part?
    Because I don't have designer gear?
    Because I am 50 and have grey hair.........this is the most likely
    My bike is a carbon one with Ultegra and I use a Garmin and wear reasonably coordinated clobber

    Why are some so Arrogant?

    I just don't get it I am only trying to be pleasant, now I have stopped bothering as I will probably get blanked

    As you can see I am pi... Off about it

    Flyer

    It's just cos instead of being a "Flyer" you are a B end.

    "Flyers" just tend to keep their heads down and, well, Fly!

    You are on the wrong board - as you have pointed out with your own issues with your hair - go to the OAP board, get over yourself and STFU.

    Troll.

    Look it up grandad....
  • some people are shy, like me.

    Except when posting on bike forums Heather ?

    :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    82d14ae1-321e-427e-8c53-dbccbe0a517b.jpeg
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    flyer wrote:
    I just don't get it.

    You are out of a ride on a nice sunny day and I nod, raise my hand or say hello

    And most won't even acknowledge you!!!!

    What is it?

    Because I weigh 15 stone?
    Because I don't look the part?
    Because I don't have designer gear?
    Because I am 50 and have grey hair.........this is the most likely
    My bike is a carbon one with Ultegra and I use a Garmin and wear reasonably coordinated clobber

    Why are some so Arrogant?

    I just don't get it I am only trying to be pleasant, now I have stopped bothering as I will probably get blanked

    As you can see I am pi... Off about it

    Flyer

    It's just cos instead of being a "Flyer" you are a B end.

    "Flyers" just tend to keep their heads down and, well, Fly!

    You are on the wrong board - as you have pointed out with your own issues with your hair - go to the OAP board, get over yourself and STFU.

    Troll.

    Look it up grandad....
    What an aRse hole.Yet another key board warrior.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    To the OP : Don't worry about it, its nothing personal.
    To HML: Go away & get your issues sorted, you will be a lot happier.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Seems a valid point... Perhaps indelicately put but I can live with that.
  • A KIRK
    A KIRK Posts: 64
    Its simple really some will acknowledge you others won't. I wouldn't worry to much, personally I acknowledge anyone if I see/hear them. The other thing to consider is if your going the other way its not always possible to hear that someone has ackowledged you or not.

    Sadly I think society today has this mentality of not talking to others, or it seems frowned upon, I was always bought up to be poilte, and respect others, hence why i'm normally quite a chirpy riding willing to chat with anyone.
    2010 GT Series 4 ultegra wheels & brakes
    2008 Claud Butler hard tail not very original any more
  • pr0xibus
    pr0xibus Posts: 10
    I started cycling today on the road bike, all i got was nods and hellos. Said hello to more people today than i have in the past 5 years. But its my first day, maybe they all knew this by the way i sat on the seat(one cheek on till it became sore then changed) or the really really big smile on my face as i play about with the gears and they all took pity on me. But so far fine bunch of chaps
  • blackstick
    blackstick Posts: 151
    I believe that a nod is always the best, I give them to cyclist all the time plus joggers and etc/sports and healthy loving people, only sometimes when I am overtaking, going downhill I will concentrate on the road and moving vehicle rather than giving a nod... but still most the time I am able to

    I have smiley faces, waving arms, salutes, helo's, morning's etc etc

    I personally think that any cyclist should just do nods and smiles not salute or anything that involves moving the head and arms away from the looking up front and bike which some people do to me on a highway which is very polite but dangerous for their own good.

    There are no strangers in the world of sports and adventures.. just like travelling and staying in a hostel~ =>
  • TheSmithers
    TheSmithers Posts: 291
    Why the F would you expect me, as a cyclist to be interested in you, as a cyclist, riding past me?

    It is the same as saying, "why doesn't every driver wave at me and doff his cap" cos he's in a car. Chaos would ensue.

    As TT above has said, some people are shy, like me. I ride my bike to keep fit, not have a chat with some complete stranger coming the other way.

    Completely absurd post. Even more so because the OP is 50 years old.

    On the logic of his OP he must expect every person he walks or drives past to wave, say hello or honk their horn or flash him.

    In 3 years of more serious cycling I can recall um, NO One saying a thing as we cyle past each other. And if I have been overtaken stupidly and I make it up and take them, which sounds like you I just say "***"" & get reminded of this thread.

    Truly absurd & time to grow up I think.

    FYI - I am 16 stone, half your age but seemingly 1/2 the sensitivity & 2X the balls.

    * The other thing is I am usually listening to music, travelling at 15 + miles an hour, keeping my eye out for potholes & car drivers - why would I even be looking at the other side of the road and some clown - regardless of appearance or age - even attempting to make eye contact?

    You haven't quite grasped the concept of cycling - even though you say you have all the gear - yet no idea!

    Thanks for posting though - you have confirmed that I am doing it right and certainly not to engage in anyone coming the other way - like I have been doing.

    Grow up.

    What a lovely chap :roll:

    Cycling and driving cars...kind of not the same thing really is it. Cycling is a social activity as well as a fitness one, and it doesn't take much effort to acknowledge a fellow rider does it, whether you think it's absurd or not. Just a nod or raising of the fingers will do. You don't have to take your hat off to them and sing "oh what a beautiful morning".

    Miserable git!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I move to motion that HML is the actually the true bell end here.
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    DavidJB wrote:
    I move to motion that HML is the actually the true bell end here.
    I second! :D
  • shortcuts wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:
    I move to motion that HML is the actually the true bell end here.
    I second! :D


    I am guessing that he had been sniffing the barmaids apron, woke up with a stinking hangover and regretting those posts because he's really a decent bloke :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    * The other thing is I am usually listening to music, travelling at 15 + miles an hour, keeping my eye out for potholes & car drivers - why would I even be looking at the other side of the road and some clown - regardless of appearance or age - even attempting to make eye contact?
    If you haven't noticed a cyclist on the other side of the road then there are some possibilities .
    1) You're head down in a world of pain pushing as hard as you can
    2) The road is 15 lanes wide
    3) Your head is so far up your own arse you can see your dinner going down.
    You haven't quite grasped the concept of cycling - even though you say you have all the gear - yet no idea!
    Er - you're the one with "no idea"
    Thanks for posting though - you have confirmed that I am doing it right and certainly not to engage in anyone coming the other way - like I have been doing.
    Please post a picture of yourself so we know to a) ignore you and b) not offer you any spares/tools when you're stood at the side of the road looking thoroughly miserable because you've run out of spares and there's no phone signal.
    Grow up.
    Yes - UP not Out ... or has your chest just slipped a bit!?!
  • Revdarny
    Revdarny Posts: 17
    Me-109 wrote:
    I'm not acknowledging this thread.

    lol

    Seriously though, even to raise your hand as you go by is enough. If they don't acknowledge you then they're just taking life to seriously.
    2008 Yeti ASR
    2011 Specialized Allez (No longer the Sport Spec)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Revdarny wrote:
    Me-109 wrote:
    I'm not acknowledging this thread.

    lol

    Seriously though, even to raise your hand as you go by is enough. If they don't acknowledge you then they're just taking life to seriously.

    Or you are for worrying that that have not responded :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Why the F would you expect me, as a cyclist to be interested in you, as a cyclist, riding past me?

    It is the same as saying, "why doesn't every driver wave at me and doff his cap" cos he's in a car. Chaos would ensue.

    As TT above has said, some people are shy, like me. I ride my bike to keep fit, not have a chat with some complete stranger coming the other way.

    Completely absurd post. Even more so because the OP is 50 years old.

    On the logic of his OP he must expect every person he walks or drives past to wave, say hello or honk their horn or flash him.

    In 3 years of more serious cycling I can recall um, NO One saying a thing as we cyle past each other. And if I have been overtaken stupidly and I make it up and take them, which sounds like you I just say "***"" & get reminded of this thread.

    Truly absurd & time to grow up I think.

    FYI - I am 16 stone, half your age but seemingly 1/2 the sensitivity & 2X the balls.

    * The other thing is I am usually listening to music, travelling at 15 + miles an hour, keeping my eye out for potholes & car drivers - why would I even be looking at the other side of the road and some clown - regardless of appearance or age - even attempting to make eye contact?

    You haven't quite grasped the concept of cycling - even though you say you have all the gear - yet no idea!

    Thanks for posting though - you have confirmed that I am doing it right and certainly not to engage in anyone coming the other way - like I have been doing.

    Grow up.

    What an absolute tit. Typical keyboard warrior who in one breath says he is shy and in the next goes on a personal attack, the whole time hiding behind obscurity.

    The reason why cyclists acknowledge each other is simple. We are all out sharing the same hobby that we love. It is the comradery we share.

    Take my other hobbies, fishing and golf. If I was playing golf and someone was walking down the opposite fairway there would be some sort of "morning/Evening etc" shared. The same with fishing, if I was walking around the lake I would acknowledge all the people fishing and quite often stop for a chat. Many times I have been offered a cup of tea or a beer by complete strangers.

    So, HeatherMillsLeg, just like your username (which I find to be of totally bad taste) you seem to be a particularly unpleasant person.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • DrWally
    DrWally Posts: 54
    some people are shy, like me.

    Except when posting on bike forums Heather ?

    :D

    http://instantrimshot.com/
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    The amusing thing about HML's post is that they say they haven't heard a hello in the 3 years they've been cycling, then later says about listening to music, wonder why you can't hear anything? Rule 62 comes in to force here ;-)
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    hatch87 wrote:
    The amusing thing about HML's post is that they say they haven't heard a hello in the 3 years they've been cycling, then later says about listening to music, wonder why you can't hear anything? Rule 62 comes in to force here ;-)
    And 43.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?