I just don't get it.

You are out of a ride on a nice sunny day and I nod, raise my hand or say hello

And most won't even acknowledge you!!!!

What is it?

Because I weigh 15 stone?
Because I don't look the part?
Because I don't have designer gear?
Because I am 50 and have grey hair.........this is the most likely
My bike is a carbon one with Ultegra and I use a Garmin and wear reasonably coordinated clobber

Why are some so Arrogant?

I just don't get it I am only trying to be pleasant, now I have stopped bothering as I will probably get blanked

As you can see I am pi... Off about it

Flyer

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I always say hello, although I notice the number of responses I get has increased markedly since I went from a hybrid to a road bike. However; many of them are probably head down, giving it all, trying to get that Strava segment, I wouldn't take it personally.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Aaaah, the weekly non-acknowledgment thread.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I find that generally other cyclists are friendly and i'd say that 95% say hello as they pass (whether overtaking me or going the opposite way...) and I match your description of not looking the part or having the designer gear. There is one guy who I pass most mornings though, he's in his late 50s (a guess) and isn't going at any great speed, I say 'good morning' as I pass but never even get so much as an acknowledgment I exist from him - miserable ******. This morning was the last time i'll be speaking...

Had one guy a few weeks ago who passed me climbing a hill as I was flying down in the opposite direction - he shouted "hello" so loudly and enthusiastically he made me jump!!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Used to get this all the time on the VW forums too when I had my bus....splitties not waving to bay's, bay's not waving to wedges.

At the end of the day don't worry about it and just get on and ride :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    To the OP - get over it!

I don't go out on my bike to receive a nod/wave from fellow cyclists but to keep fit and to simply enjoy the ride - an acknowledgement from others doesn't change that.
  • hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    Probably because you call us Rodies instead of Roadies :D
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    flyer wrote:
    I just don't get it.

You are out of a ride on a nice sunny day and I nod, raise my hand or say hello

And most won't even acknowledge you!!!!

What is it?

Because I weigh 15 stone?
    Because I don't look the part?
    Because I don't have designer gear?
    Because I am 50 and have grey hair.........this is the most likely
    My bike is a carbon one with Ultegra and I use a Garmin and wear reasonably coordinated clobber

Why are some so Arrogant?

I just don't get it I am only trying to be pleasant, now I have stopped bothering as I will probably get blanked

As you can see I am pi... Off about it

Flyer
    I know where you are coming from as I get it a lot too. I think it might be an age thing (I am 59) and get strange looks from younger folk when I just say "good morning" walking to get the morning paper! Maybe people are too suspicious nowadays and worry about your motives.
    So far as on the bike is concerned I only have a top end Hybrid so possibly even a snoberry thing lol.
    What the hell just enjoy your ride and to hell with it, but it is irritating.
    At my age I think I would look like a bit of a knob in too much 'designer' gear but I do have the grey hair and a Garmin 800.
    Also it could be simply they are so 'in the zone' they aren't even seeing us!
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    I usually say hello unless...

... I'm going uphill and dying (unless I can pretend not to be dying and sound as if it's easy :)
    ... I'm going downhill and trying not to crash
    ... 50 cyclists have come past me in the last minute and I'd sound silly going hello, hello, hello, constantly
    ... it's a group that obviously are wrapped up in themselves, which is fair enough
    ... I've gone past them too quick for them to be able to react and reply
    ... (more likely) they've gone past me too quick
    ... the INR is simply more appropriate than a vocalised hello

... or one of many more perfectly innocuous and non-arrogant reasons

This 'arrogance' people talk about is largely imagined IMO. TBH, if all you've got to go on is a lack of hello, it's more arrogant to assume you know anything at all about what's in their head at that moment.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Ground Hog Day
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    It's because you're out on a nice sunny day when all the other overweight nodders are out.

Go for a ride when its cold/wet/windy, only real roadies ride in these conditions, and you'll get acknowledgement.
  • If they ignore you it's because they are better than you.
    Don't be offended though. Look on it as a good pointer as to where you are in the pecking order.

Only joking Flyer :mrgreen:

Or am I :shock:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Surely there is a clever computer thing that can check the words that you are typing and auto junk the post if it is repetative (could even send the author a message along the lines of UTFSYM).

If not, why not and can someone invent it quick!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    smidsy wrote:
    Surely there is a clever computer thing that can check the words that you are typing and auto junk the post if it is repetative (could even send the author a message along the lines of UTFSYM).

If not, why not and can someone invent it quick!

If it worked retrospectively it would reduce your post count down to zero.
  • smidsy
    Ouch!!

Anyway there would be 3 posts:
    1) Mavic wheels are shit
    2) Cannondale are great
    3) Basso is definitely fully, properly and truly hand made in Italy.

Are you out cycling at the weekend at all?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    smidsy wrote:
    Ouch!!

1) Mavic wheels are shoot
    2) Cannondale are great

You forgot 'my BB30 creaks'

OP , just turn and follow to the cafe stop and engage in intercourse with a mug of hot latte
  • letap73
    smidsy wrote:
    Ouch!!

2) Cannondale are great

Don't forget
    4) Hand built wheels are awesome.

In answer to your question yes -if the weather is half reasonable. Are you ready for Nottingham next week - have you got some decent miles in since your off?

Love + Hugz + xxxxxx
    Letap
  • smidsy
    I have only done 100 miles since my off - 4 weeks without any cycling at all.

I will be trying a 75 miler on Sunday.

I will do the Nott 100 it is just a matter of how slowly.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • letap73
    I will be going nice and slow for Notts - hopefully that will allow me to doff my proverbial cap to my fellow cyclists!
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I'm not acknowledging this thread.

:shun:
  • smidsy
    letap73 wrote:
    I will be going nice and slow for Notts - hopefully that will allow me to doff my proverbial cap to my fellow cyclists!

Only if you are going the wrong way :lol:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    smidsy wrote:
    Ouch!!

2) Cannondale are great

Number 4) Rapha ......

:D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • smidsy
    is over priced posy crap
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    smidsy wrote:
    is over priced posy crap

And ...
    5). Cheap Chinese copies ;)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    Salad dodging is not required to get an acknowledgement. Shun everyone with an air of disdain, thats what I do.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Which is the best saddle?

Carbon or Titanium?

Assos sizing guide
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I have only had a cpl not say hello or wave and I will say hello to any one riding and if ignored dont,t worry me.Im just happy on my bikes.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    styxd wrote:
    It's because you're out on a nice sunny day when all the other overweight nodders are out.

Go for a ride when its cold/wet/windy, only real roadies ride in these conditions, and you'll get acknowledgement.
    What a load of cack.why insult the Op?.
    Wtf,you got to go out in shite conditions just so some tossers on the interweb can elevate your status to real roadie. :cry:
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,980
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Aaaah, the weekly non-acknowledgment thread.

I think we may have made it through two weeks this time.

Some people are nice and cheery others are miserable gits why do people think that just because they have a shared hobby everyone will be the former?
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    The worst one i have heard of is the fella who had to beat someone to death with their own shoes just to sort the right colour of M&Ms out,Led Zepps lot were also a bit waspy too without a beer but that's rock and roll for ya.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    The worst one i have heard of is the fella who had to beat someone to death with their own shoes just to sort the right colour of M&Ms out,Led Zepps lot were also a bit waspy too without a beer but that's rock and roll for ya.

Led zeppelins management team were by all accounts feckkin terrifying.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...