Tour de Suisse - Stage 3 *Spoiler*

Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Quite remarkable how different a race can be when there's no real control and the riders feel free to give it a go at anytime. What a great stage yet again!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Well done Frenchie for trying to breathe life into a non-Sky dominated race thread.
    +1

Races which feature strong Sky teams generate longer threads because of the stupid sniping and arguing which goes on.

For my part I would like to be watching the race but I'm done with irritating internet feeds, I'd rather follow the spoiler thread.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Well done Frenchie for trying to breathe life into a non-Sky dominated race thread.
    You would think that the Tour de Suisse is some obscure backwater event.
    Sagan certainly making up for his muted effort at the 4th GT.
    At this rate he'll be hogging all the jerseys at next year's TDF.

No TV coverage makes it difficult to get into. Ridiculous situation.

I agree. 'Tis terrible what Sky have done.
    Having said that, there was a good live link posted here to Hatch and Backstedt commentary.
    (I had them on tv.)
    You all missed a really "edge of your seat", descent.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Man you really will blame Sky for everything won't you....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ddraver wrote:

They hold the rights for this and aren't showing it, despite having 4 channels to put it on. That's pretty lame.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ITV have done the same to every ASO race for 20 odd years (or however long it is they ve had the rights)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Difference is that most of those races are already available in the UK on Eurosport, Sky had sole rights and did nothing with them.

If one was a conspiracy theorist, one might say it's because Team Sky Reserves is going to do sweet FA in this race.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ddraver wrote:
    ITV have done the same to every ASO race for 20 odd years (or however long it is they ve had the rights)

Not exclusive rights, they haven't.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    ThomThom wrote:
    Quite remarkable how different a race can be when there's no real control and the riders feel free to give it a go at anytime. What a great stage yet again!

Wot..........you mean when the big boys are not there the also rans can have a go????? That's what you make it sound like.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    ddraver wrote:

Anything? Not sure what else.

Yes, not clear.
    As afx237vi points out, Sky tv, not team, unless they bought up the rights
    because they weren't sending the top boys. :wink:

Bad situation when Eurosport Asia are showing the race, but Eurosport on BSky can't.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    mike6 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Wot..........you mean when the big boys are not there the also rans can have a go????? That's what you make it sound like.

I think I'm the one entitled to say 'wot...' here?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Seems like it was Scarponi's crash that caused the split.

PINOT Thibaut ‏@ThibautPinot 4h
    Fin de la 1ère partie du #tdsuisse, aujourd'hui étape de fou, descente de kamikaze, j'évite la chute de scarponi je ne sais pas comment...

Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin86 3h
    1 of fastest days racing I've ever done. Full gas all day. Gutted to lose @ryder_hesjedal to a crash. Hope he's ok. played it safe on last Downhill after scarponi's crash split the group. Tried to close the gap but those guys were railing it. Epic day #howaboutsomesunplease

Scarponi finished so presumably nothing too serious.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    What happened to Ryder? Anyone see his spill? If so, from what you saw did it look like he'll be back in time for the Tour?

I can't believe his bad luck

the Inner Ring
    @inrng

hesjedal is bruised & cut up but team say "no fractures and no neurological pathologies" + "he may be able to train in a few days time"
    8:03 p.m. Mon, Jun 10
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Aw c'mon, this is poor.... Can't we be distinct about the difference between the sh!tc*nts that run Sky as a monoculture profit-making corporation and the professional cycling team that they sponsor - full of riders/staff of numerous nations/backgrounds?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Seems like it was Scarponi's crash that caused the split.

Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin86 3h
    1 of fastest days racing I've ever done. Full gas all day. Gutted to lose @ryder_hesjedal to a crash. Hope he's ok. played it safe on last Downhill after scarponi's crash split the group. Tried to close the gap but those guys were railing it. Epic day #howaboutsomesunplease

Scarponi finished so presumably nothing too serious.

Thanks for posting the Martin Tweet. RACER. Need 50 more riders like him. If Ryder was there you know he would have been in the lead group drilling it like a nutter on the descent. Scarponi seems to have a habit of crashing! I would not like to be on his wheel on a descent.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    You would think that the Tour de Suisse is some obscure backwater event.
    Sagan certainly making up for his muted effort at the 4th GT.
    At this rate he'll be hogging all the jerseys at next year's TDF.

Your welcome. There wasn`t anything in this thread and I know some people use the spoiler threads to follow the race (surprise) during and after the event and given I havent seen extended highlights or full coverage later, I thought I`d add a few more pieces of info.

Remind me of the old days when you and I and others would thrash out races like this one on spoiler threads on a regular basis. Now races like this are a rarity.

-

Sky boys quiet on this thread thankfully. But as I am sure you either A. care only about your ET riders or B. dont know how to check your results:
    Dombrowski lost 4.26
    Edmonson lost 7.32
    Pretty shi t right. Don`t worry though because A. they are getting paid to ride for experience with no pressure to perform or do a job for their heavyweights this year (like Aru in the Giro and most of the others) and B. in two years they will be pulling an amazing 1min/km from the best of the rest. C. Dombrowski crashed twice.
    (ps. JTL lost 20mins, but it doesnt matter as he is not a climber per se, even though riders like Sagan can battle it out without 5 et domestiques pulling him to the last 1km. I can understand his move to Sky and dont blame him at all but from a fan`s excitement perspective, seeing him in another team would have provide a ton more excitement)
    (pps. I like Dombrowski. Check the Pure Climbers thread. I expect better from him though but am holding out hope for the future...although by that time he might be a factory boy.)

And to make it clear, there were a ton of streams to watch this race. Just because it isnt shown on ES (yes this is a move by Sky who you sky boys love), doesnt mean it isnt live. You can also follow it on twitter or various feeds.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Aw c'mon, this is poor.... Can't we be distinct about the difference between the sh!tc*nts that run Sky as a monoculture profit-making corporation and the professional cycling team that they sponsor - full of riders/staff of numerous nations/backgrounds?

On this forum ?? Hardly. There's some very twisted people on here. I occasionally think about blocking them but I do get a laugh reading some of the puerile drivel that's spouted. I can't imagine the energy they must expend with their Sky hating. I'm not a particular Sky fan and I'm certainly no fan of the Dirty Digger although I do like to see British riders excelling.

What is ridiculous is that when you look at the history of cycling, the things that Sky are being slated for are not exactly new. Maybe it's down to the fact that its so much more accessible rather than just reading a review of the previous week's racing in the comic.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Right on.

I would love to be in Frenchies living room when his boy Contador gets his a**e roundly kicked by Sky in the Tour. He will burst into flames. Dummies everywhere.
  • frenchfighter
    Right, had enough of your useless post mikeyboy. On block now. Was using this forum since 2007 and never used this feature before this year and now the list is growing and growing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Sky boys quiet on this thread thankfully. But as I am sure you either A. care only about your ET riders or B. dont know how to check your results:
    Dombrowski lost 4.26
    Edmonson lost 7.32
    Pretty shi t right. Don`t worry though because A. they are getting paid to ride for experience with no pressure to perform or do a job for their heavyweights this year (like Aru in the Giro and most of the others) and B. in two years they will be pulling an amazing 1min/km from the best of the rest. C. Dombrowski crashed twice.
    (ps. JTL lost 20mins, but it doesnt matter as he is not a climber per se, even though riders like Sagan can battle it out without 5 et domestiques pulling him to the last 1km. I can understand his move to Sky and dont blame him at all but from a fan`s excitement perspective, seeing him in another team would have provide a ton more excitement)
    (pps. I like Dombrowski. Check the Pure Climbers thread. I expect better from him though but am holding out hope for the future...although by that time he might be a factory boy.)

And to make it clear, there were a ton of streams to watch this race. Just because it isnt shown on ES (yes this is a move by Sky who you sky boys love), doesnt mean it isnt live. You can also follow it on twitter or various feeds.

OK, I'm not sure if I count as one of the 'Sky boys' or not but I'll reply. I missed Saturday due to family commitments and Sunday as I was first at a race and then in A&E get sorted out following a crash in said race. Watching streams in work is generally not possible unless things are very quiet so that ruled out Stage 3. I also don't like watching on a PC very much. It's a shame it hasn't been on TV as I would have recorded it and watched at my leisure and it sounds like there has been some excellent racing which is what we all like to see. I think the race is benefitting from the lack of GC contenders which has resulted in the individual stages being treated as separate races. This is ideally how all stage races would be but unfortunately the need for the top GC riders to defend their position tends to result in the attacks (that do happen in every race) generally getting brought back as a byproduct and very few riders are prepared to take a risk. I don't blame those in podium positions for this but feel there are far too many riders settling for top 10 / 20 rather than trying to snatch a podium place and dropping right down the leaderboard if it goes wrong.

I've been grateful for the spoiler threads so that I can get an idea of what has been going on and your race updates are appreciated. That said I do feel you let yourself down a bit by trying to incite Sky related arguments. We know you don't like their way of doing things and I for one understand that and respect your opinion even if I don't necessarily agree with it. However, just leave it be rather than deliberately trying to wind up those who are fans. Personally I am quite happy with the progress Josh Edmondson has made. It seems realistic but steady for a 20 year old. 3 years ago I was watching him take 3rd place in the Junior Tour of Wales and gradual progression up to an impressive ride in the ToB last season. Despite a big step up he performed well in the Ardennes during the spring and I would say the amount of time he has lost in this race is respectable - I'm not sure how many races he has done in 'proper' mountains but I don't think he has done anything on such big climbs whilst amongst the top pro riders. I don't know much about Dombrowski but I would think similar comments would apply. JTL has been a bit disappointing this season and was possibly better suited to being a dark horse riding for a smaller team in hilly races (or he may be riding with the aim of peaking for the Worlds?). Hopefully that's a reasoned and considered response as I don't consider myself a 'fanboy' of any team or rider but having been through years where British cycling struggled to get 3 or 4 man 'pro' teams together on the domestic scene I do like what Sky have done (even though I don't like those who run the company).
  • dsoutar
    ^ this

The voice of reason
  • frenchfighter
    Pross, you have been around since the early days so you will always have the time of day.

Congratulations on your first placing. Am I reading you right that you also had to go into A&E as you yourself crashed?

Just so you know, I do not care to `incite sky related arguments`. I really dont give two hoots what these other ppl think (most of them are on block anyway) but I am giving my opinion in a slightly humorous and quick way most times. I do not engage in long distribes all over spoiler threads and I dont even contribute much at all in the Sky specific threads.

Please read this to get an idea of my feelings:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12926282&start=20#p18366684

To be perfectly frank I think I contribute a lot to this forum so if a small percentage of my posts are anti-Sky then oh well. Just skip over them like I do on a lot of posts. Like with Contador, if the forum is all one way then it is not a great place to debate or get information. Therefore, I suppose I have naturally assumed the counter voice vocally if I have an opinion on something which a lot disagree on.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Fair enough, it just came across in at least one post on each stage so far that you raised Sky when no-one else was mentioning them. I actually agree it is nice to see a one week race where they aren't trying to dominate. I also think racing the younger riders with no pressure is good, it is when these new riders get put under pressure that they may resort to getting a 'helping hand'. Let the top riders earn the required points and let the neo pros develop steadily.

Unfortunately my wording was bad - I wasn't first at a race, I was at a race first. Crashed out after 5 miles, the first of about 5 crashes in the race caused by potholes - the final crash just before the finish put 5 in hospital and closed the road so got of lightly compared to some. Fortunately my concrete head took the full force of my 14 stone frame hitting the tarmac at 25mph so no serious injuries.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    edited June 2013
    Can't speak for others but for me I take issue with the 'SKY are British so I will blindly follow' mindset of many many contributors on here ... The trouble is they can't just accept that for others who don't follow cycling as a a way of clinging desperately to good old Blighty's colonial horror show, SKY's way of riding is dull in the main and stifles actual racing ... SKY ride stage races like it's an audax (albiet with exceptionally fast checkpoints) ...

Sadly SKY are ruining my racing (on TV) so I do get to moan ... me moaning doesn't affect those who like SKY's regime so frankly they should stfu and enjoy their version of the race ...

Also posters that encourage other forum users to block other forum users are just weasely little scrotes hiding behind a pc ... You learn more reading what you don't like than reading about what you do ... If it wasn't for people's thoughts and opinions there would be no pro race forum ...

ps. rant over but I'm sick of threads being derailed just because someone doesn't like SKY (who in this race have been guff and the racing better for it ... compare Sagan/wiggins wet descending and give yourself a good chuckle) ...
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Pross, should have left us with the first version. Haul yourself back off the tarmac, chase back on and then solo to the finish from a couple of km out. Pick up the trophy before heading off to A&E.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    This reminds me of the Lance situation, as it seems to me that the "Anti-Sky" brigade are actually far more obsessed with Sky than the "Pro-Sky" brigade.

As someone who sits somewhere in the middle, I can't help but be amused by it, especially as we've seen a another good thread derailed by people discussing a team which have played almost no part in the race so far.

I wish I had something constructive to add, but I haven't seen any of the race. Can't even take advantage of the malware ridden streams as can't watch it live due to work. This situation is ridiculous, think an e-mail campaign to Sky Sports might be in order.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • dsoutar
    I suspect someone has already suggested this somewhere on here but we've almost got to the point of having a version of Godwin's law in operation or to put it another way, Reductio ad Sky (apologies but my latin declension isn't good enough to provide the correct ending to Sky).

Once the Sky fanbois and haters get going then the thread is ruined.

Back on topic, I too am pretty miffed about the lack of highlights. If Steephill is anothing to go by it's not exactly got a lot of coverage generally. Surely this isn't ideal for the sponsors. Doesn't seem like IMG are pulling their weight here
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    This reminds me of the Lance situation, as it seems to me that the "Anti-Sky" brigade are actually far more obsessed with Sky than the "Pro-Sky" brigade.

As someone who sits somewhere in the middle, I can't help but be amused by it, especially as we've seen a another good thread derailed by people discussing a team which have played almost no part in the race so far.

I wish I had something constructive to add, but I haven't seen any of the race. Can't even take advantage of the malware ridden streams as can't watch it live due to work. This situation is ridiculous, think an e-mail campaign to Sky Sports might be in order.

I feel I am in the exact same situation. Looking at the Sky schedule for this afternoon it says something that they cant put on live cycling. Are the viewing figures that low that putting on recorded stuff which is effectively free is better than paying for commentators/pundits etc.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Not one attack on the final climb. Very poor.

Great stuff from Sagan. Think it's been clear he could do this on individual stages, but whether he can climb day after day is the big question. Probably worth nothing that the previous day he didn't turn himself inside out unlike the GC riders.