Europcar and cortisone...

Richmond Racer
Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited June 2013 in Pro race
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-rout ... tir/377583

And this after the Anthony Charteau issue last year. This time, Rolland.

Daniel Friebe @friebos 8m
The notion that cortisone abuse is 'light' doping or somehow OK is nonsense and needs to be dispelled.

David Millar @millarmind 8m
THIS IS BULLSHIT. No cortisone!!! "@friebos: Europcar. Cortisone. Again. Sort it out, JR. lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-r…"

Comments

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Not familiar with these rules of MPCC. Whats the deal? They raced him when he wasn't healthy?
  • Biffcp
    Biffcp Posts: 813
    edited June 2013
    Not familiar with these rules of MPCC. Whats the deal? They raced him when he wasn't healthy?

Technically yes. Low levels of (naturally occurring) cortisol can be an indicator of the (ab)use of cortisone (banned without a TUE). Riders with low levels of cortisol are normally ordered to rest.

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>
  • Richmond Racer

Under the MPCC rules, the riders undergo health checks including cortisol tests. And one of the MPCC rules is that a rider with a suspiciously low cortisol level must be rested for eight days. One explanation for low levels can be doping with cortisone.

In Rolland's case they let him continue riding and then pulled him out of St 8 after 20k, giving an achilles tendonitis problem as the issue.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I see, so its probably a case of abusing the TUE system. Can you get a TUE exemption through your team doctor or does it have to be an independent one?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Under the MPCC rules, the riders undergo health checks including cortisol tests. And one of the MPCC rules is that a rider with a suspiciously low cortisol level must be rested for eight days. One explanation for low levels can be doping with cortisone.

In Rolland's case they let him continue riding and then pulled him out of St 8 after 20k, giving an achilles tendonitis problem as the issue.

I have to manage that. It's a sore one.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
    Well, this is turning into quite the soap opera (naturally, its cycling)

Bernaudeau claims that the MPCC doctor authorised Rolland being able to continue. Said doctor denies this and says Bernaudeau's a liar.

Just another day in road racing

Roger Legeay must be having a fit
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908

Bernaudeau claims that the MPCC doctor authorised Rolland being able to continue. Said doctor denies this and says Bernaudeau's a liar.

Europcar seem to keep getting caught up in similar things but then it goes quiet and we don't hear much about it. Sure something similar happened last year? My memory isn't what it used to be.
  • Richmond Racer

Europcar seem to keep getting caught up in similar things but then it goes quiet and we don't hear much about it. Sure something similar happened last year? My memory isn't what it used to be.

Yep. Testing at 4 Jours de Dunkerque last year - Anthony Charteau not allowed to continue

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/french- ... -dunkerque
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

If this wasn't Europcar, we'd certainly have more than 8 posts in the thread.

Sounds like a right mess, not good at all.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    If this wasn't Europcar, we'd certainly have more than 8 posts in the thread.

If this was Sky, there'd be 8 threads...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    With my limited understanding and reading of internet stuff this fcuking stinks! !

I've had doubts about Rolland and TV seems more than a little suspect but this is not good. Feels like the 50% thing all over.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So what performance advantage does cortisone abuse provide?

Honest question - I don't know.
  • RimTape
    RimTape Posts: 243

Better recovery I believe.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RimTape wrote:

OK.

I've never heard a rider go "OMG, definitely abusing Cortisone", and it seems to be allowed in doses if the doctor says it's all cool, so it can't be that big a deal.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    RimTape wrote:

OK.

I've never heard a rider go "OMG, definitely abusing Cortisone", and it seems to be allowed in doses if the doctor says it's all cool, so it can't be that big a deal.

I believe it can have harmful long term effects.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RimTape wrote:

OK.

I believe it can have harmful long term effects.

Isn't it a form of Steroid cream - all of which are bad news in the long run. Riders still willing to take the risks shows a great naivity.
    Oral use of cortisone has a number of potential systemic side-effects: hyperglycemia, insulin resistance, diabetes mellitus, osteoporosis, anxiety, depression, amenorrhoea, cataracts and glaucoma, among other problems.[1][2]

Local side effects are rare but can include: pain, infection, skin pigment changes, loss of fatty tissue, and tendon rupture.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    As I understand it it wasn't a high cortisone finding but low cortisol, which can be a sign of cortisone abuse but can equally be a sign of overtraining or illness, hence the 8 day suspension and not a longer ban.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/14747/MPCC-doctor-Megret-denies-giving-green-light-to-Pierre-Rolland-after-irregular-cortisol-levels-detected.aspx
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    edited June 2013
    RimTape wrote:

That's right. Corticosteroids (cortisone) dampen down inflammation. Whether this affects cortisol levels in the body I don't know. As an aside, long term use *I suspect* will inhibit one's own immune system function e.g. white blood cell levels.

I've never been able to get a straight answer as to whether cortisol has been administered. This is a substance which essentially is present in elevated levels in the overtrained/stressed person. Quite why you'd want to add to this I'm unsure - the only indication I've ever seen of how this might benefit was in David Millar's book where IIRC he inferred it was useful for weight loss and it's essentially helping the body to be broken down. Can anyone clarify?
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Seems perhaps their desperation to secure sponsorship has led to some poor decisions in the team car and out on the road.
  • Richmond Racer
    Seems perhaps their desperation to secure sponsorship has led to some poor decisions in the team car and out on the road.

Maybe, with regard to Rolland continuing the Dauphine.

Re issues with cortisone, its not the first time the team's been linked to an issue. As well as Charteau last year, just before the Tour it was announced the team were going to be investigated for cortisone abuse - though to be fair, nothing came of it.

INRNG has just published a lengthy post
    http://inrng.com/2013/06/mpcc-cortisol-test/

From a twitter dialogue between Daniel Friebe and Jeremy Whittle yesterday, there seems to be a view that French/Belgian teams dont treat controls around cortisone seriously:

Daniel Friebe @friebos 23h
    The notion that cortisone abuse is 'light' doping or somehow OK is nonsense and needs to be dispelled.

Jeremy Whittle @jeremycwhittle 22h
    @friebos That seems to be a particularly Franco-Belgian school of thought. Just what French cycling needs right now....
  • jimmythecuckoo
    Time to close that loophole then and make an example out of the team. Albeit with the likely outcome that they close.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Time to close that loophole then and make an example out of the team. Albeit with the likely outcome that they close.

That would be harsh, but unfortunately probably the best option for the long term. If what they've done (and I have to confess to not understanding precisely what that is) is against the rules then zero tolerance is the only option.

The more stories there are like this, the harder it will be for any teams to get sponsorship.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    So apparently these tests are part of a voluntary agreement which not all teams are part of - including Sky and BMC?

Seems a bit harsh to want to make an example of the team on that basis. The sport needs successful French teams - if there is some kind of systematic doping going on of course that has to be dealt with but no need to go over the top yet for what may have been a disagreement or misunderstanding about correct procedures and a genuine case of a health check showing up a health rather an doping problem.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    If Sky and BMC are not conforming to any sort of test that could give the impressive of a tolerance of artificial performance enhancement I would suggest they are brought into line as well...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    I'd say no direct effect on performance. Cortisone is synthetic and converted by the body to cortisol. This is anti-inflammatory, so will reduce eg joint swelling and pain to allow the athelete to continue competing when injured, although they really should be putting their feet up. Short term use might not be a problem, but can lead to increased tissue injury. The banning is pricipally (I think) to protect the atheletes' health. I doubt that any athelete would use often enough to result in the more serious side effects - immunosuppression, muscle wasting ..... seen in patients using corticosteroids for chronic autoimmune diseases.

Giving cortisone or other synthetic corticosteroids (eg prednisone) leads to supression of cortisol synthesis by the body. It is unlikely that occaisional use of corticosteroids will have much effect on natural cortisol levels, so if levels are supressed then it suggests repeated use (then withdrawral).

Corticosteroids (the whole group of compounds) also have effects on kidney function that I can't describe in lay terms and haven't got my head round whether there might be masking effects, but I doubt this.

Don't confuse corticosteroids with the androgens (testosterone, nandralone) which are anabolic (build up muscle) and require energy. Corticosteroids are catabolic (break down tissues), but not really much use as a means of providing more energy.

At least I can pretend I'm working while typing this.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    ^ Thanks for the informative post.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Isn't painkilling use of Cortisone legal in just about every sport out there?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Yep, you often hear footballers / rugby players / cricketers have had a cortisone injection to enable them to compete and it has been used in American sport for years often to the detriment of the sportsman's long term career as the reason we feel pain is generally to remind us not to push an injury any further!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    David Millar ‏@millarmind 1h
    More importantly it might make those who abuse the TUE system to think twice.

It would make sense the race doctor knows what medical issues the riders they're responsible for have would it not?

Dear ASO + RCS, why don't you ask all teams to supply their riders TUE's (if they have them) to the race doctor?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Richmond Racer
    Pross wrote:
    Yep, you often hear footballers / rugby players / cricketers have had a cortisone injection to enable them to compete and it has been used in American sport for years often to the detriment of the sportsman's long term career as the reason we feel pain is generally to remind us not to push an injury any further!

My personal fave is tennis players getting a mid-match injection to enable them to continue