Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Ah, the "no you are" argument...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    ddraver - You say that horse riders expect others to bow down to their needs? so what?
    dont you expect the same when your out on a bike? slowing a succession of cars down!

Horses tend to be ridden on lanes and in 1s and 2s, they usually stop when a car comes along and if you (as a cyclist) talk to the rider, try saying "hello" then the horse will be fine.

oh and horses dont give the wxnkxr signal to every motorist that in their opinion has offended them!

and no i dont ride a horse or ever had, its just live an let live thats all, each to their own.
  • ddraver
    If a car comes up behind me on a narrow lane, then I ll pull in at the earliest passing point and slow down to let it past, if there's space then I won't. I won't stop for it or slow down (much) so actually they only have to drop from 30 odd to 20 odd. That is two individuals using the same bit of road and being aware and sympathetic of each others needs. Don't see why that's a problem.

It is not aware and sympathetic if I expected them to stop and wait for me or if I had to stop and wait for the car/horse/circus parade...
    - @ddraver
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Possibly one of the most moronic and selfish original posts I have ever read on here. There does seem to be an undercurrent of road cyclists on here that have a superiority complex when it comes to road use.

Well, at least I'm good at something. I think "Moronic" is a bit strong, though, and not a little offensive.

Plus, I was joking. Oh well.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    SecretSam wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Possibly one of the most moronic and selfish original posts I have ever read on here. There does seem to be an undercurrent of road cyclists on here that have a superiority complex when it comes to road use.

Well, at least I'm good at something. I think "Moronic" is a bit strong, though, and not a little offensive.

Maybe you were. Ddraver seems to have the bit between his teeth though. :mrgreen:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • secretsam
    daviesee wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Maybe you were. Ddraver seems to have the bit between his teeth though. :mrgreen:

As there are so many animal lovers crawling out of the woodwork on here, perhaps they'd like to also comment on the thread about cats, which currently includes posts about extermination of them as vermin, etc etc.

And perhaps this would give the posters who've attacked me (not my post) another chance to vent their respective spleens. I believe it's called Anger Management?

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    edited June 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mURhNIjc-Kw

Ronnie Corbett is on the Bike
    Ronnie Barker in the Car
    John Cleese on the Horse

We're still only just crawling out of the 19th class system. :D
  • ddraver
    I like that... :D
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Ah, so we are saying that travellers are upper class and people look up to them (we know our place) :lol:
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    RideOnTime wrote:
    We're still only just crawling out of the 19th class system. :D

So there were 18 class systems before it? You'd think we would of perfected it by now. :mrgreen:
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    Unfortunately we can all be a little intolerant to each others interests and passions. However, I have come accross good and ignorant cyclists and horse riders in my time. We dont seem to understand each others needs and therefore think the other is in the wrong!
    I am both...horse rider and cyclist, so can see it from both sides and try to be patient with both.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Just for the record. My involvement had nothing to do with being an animal lover. I was purely coming from a freedom of choice position.

Also, for the record, I may or may not be an animal lover but I think this whole thread is about human behaviour rather than other animals.
  • secretsam
    Baby Trek wrote:
    Unfortunately we can all be a little intolerant to each others interests and passions. However, I have come accross good and ignorant cyclists and horse riders in my time. We dont seem to understand each others needs and therefore think the other is in the wrong!
    I am both...horse rider and cyclist, so can see it from both sides and try to be patient with both.

Crumbs, your ar53 must be sore all the time...

• Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Don't have a problem with horses at all. I'm wary of them on the bike and in the car and slow to give them plenty of room. If approaching from behind, I'll always give a warning.
    A small minority of horsey people are complete tosspots of course. Just like a small minority of cyclists, car drivers or any other group you feel like labelling are complete tosspots. There's one that I have regular problems with. 4x4 plastered in 'I slow for horses' and other horsey stickers. Yet he will often try and overtake where the road is barely wider than his 4x4. Mind you, I don't think he's the person that actually rides, as judging by his size, unless he has a Clydesdale, I think it would be classed as animal cruelty. I've asked him if he'd drive like that around a horse. The response would be a stream of ** on here. :-/
    Interesting experience a couple of weeks back. A car came up behind me on a narrow lane, and squeezed by at a fair speed. 100 yards down the road, the road widened and there were two horses with riders. The car stopped. For them. Why couldn't the bint in the car give me the same respect?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    SecretSam wrote:
    Baby Trek wrote:

Crumbs, your ar53 must be sore all the time...

Try getting off your bike and doing a massive dump right in the middle of the road.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I think the conversation is drifting off the original point somewhat, so to drag it back:

Horseygirls.png

:D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Good work there. More of this please!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    i think it'd a be a good idea to unify this thread with the cat one

in this spirit, i propose the solution to both problems: grind up all the horses to make cat food

the cats will scoff the lot and then have no appetite for the various creatures that the others are so riled up about

happy cats and no more horses, win win

interweb advisory: this post may contain less than 100% of serious
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    West Berks area and Labourn area so loads of horses around here, its not them being on the roads its the presents they leave behind that can be an issue.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • why did this thread die
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Didn't die. Just did a 'Devon Loch'
  • i could have used at as a vehicle for exercising my mixed emotions about nags and their riders! some good bikeradar therapy. damn.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Druidor wrote:
    West Berks area and Labourn area so loads of horses around here....

Same. Comes with the territory.

I ride alot of MTB too so come into contact (not literally) with them regularly. I will always slow and give room, my sister fell off a 'spooked' horse when she was 12 and broke her back, so i know how unpredictable they can be.

Actually, that's why i loathe them. It's one thing doing something dangerous that you are in control (or not of in the case of many cyclists), but with horses there is always the risk that the stupid beast will get terrified by a hedge or a breeze and throw you to the dirt.

Also, the damage they do to byway's and bridleways (i know, i know). They are such an antisocial pursuit. They tear up tracks, making them boggy when its wet and make them dangerously uneven when they dry, for bikes and walkers. Then the cherry on the cake is the big pile of sh!t they leave on top. As a group, they are far more sanctimonious than cyclists.

You do have exceptions though. I came across a horsey the other weekend, forcing me to stop quite abruptly, which was ridden by a very friendly/chatty young lady who had very few clothes on. I literally couldn't think of sensical things to say such was my suprise/gawping. Ummmmm.
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    this thread needs more pictures ...
  • extrusion wrote:
    this thread needs more pictures ...

do i help or not? will karma come and bite me on the ar*e if i do, decisions decisions!
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I find this thread really depressing - I am an ardent cyclist. But I find some peoples opinions about "bl00dy horses" horrifying. It is no different to car drivers saying bl00dy cyclists. Horses have as much right to be on the roads from a cyclist POV as cyclist have a right to be on the road from a drivers POV. To say otherwise makes us no better than car drivers shouting "you don't pay road tax".

What, with the army of idiots on the road today on bikes and threads like this - I feel like getting off my bike. Total fu£ktards.

And no I don't own a horse or know anyone who does now. Seems to be some of the complaints here are class orientated hating people for having disposable income to spend on a horse.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If you think horses are bad, you haven't seen sheep. Had a whole flock of them emptied onto the road on my way to Amesbury. They blocked the road for a good 10-15 minutes until I eventually managed to squeeze my way round them. Don't think the farmer was too impressed, but I got really irritated at being held up for so long.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    They test titanium for corrosion (for bone joints etc) by inserting it into sheep, maybe the farmer thought you were about to conduct this test with the whole bike :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited July 2013
    NervexProf wrote:
    I was about to post this but you beat me to it. :wink:

Taking the horse inside was clearly a stupid idea and it taking a dump inside is beyond the pale but.....

Why not serve her at the drive through?
    Why are cyclists a danger to health & safety but motor bikes aren't?
    So many questions from the Mac's* statement. :evil:

*I won't use their full name for fear of lawsuit for illegally using a copyright. :roll:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.