What are the advantages of Road bike cleats over MTB ones

13»

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Shimano M424 and M530 for me. Think I prefer the 530 but they both work great.
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    Mountain bike shoes are better when you have broken two spokes on your rear wheel and you have to walk seven miles to a railway station.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372
    thegibdog wrote:
    Yeah, but he'll suffer from hotspots on longer rides.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    thegibdog wrote:

Love that bike. But he'd go faster with SLs. So would Mr. Obree. :lol:
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You get a wider base with road bike cleats, less hot spots, more even spread of force.

This is the stock response to those who have opted to use the same pedal/cleat system as pros.

It's also complete nonsense, an urban myth.

Do we all really believe that Graeme Obree and Andy Wilkinson (multi World Record holder, 12/24hr etc) would use bog-standard Shimano M540 pedals/cleats if there was any difference in power transfer or if they caused hot spots. Think about it - pedalling at high power for 24 hours.

No, I didn't think so. Remember they're only "MTB pedals" in your mind because that's what the Marketing Depts tell you to think. Here's Wilko's bike:

[EDIT, sorry Simon, I read your post after I made mine!]

wilkinsonttbike-Wilko-Bike.jpg

In the meantime all you sheep can remain deluded that the "road" system is superior (looks, pro mate, innit?) :roll:
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You get a wider base with road bike cleats, less hot spots, more even spread of force.

This is the stock response to those who have opted to use the same pedal/cleat system as pros.

It's also complete nonsense, an urban myth.

Do we all really believe that Graeme Obree and Andy Wilkinson (multi World Record holder, 12/24hr etc) would use bog-standard Shimano M540 pedals/cleats if there was any difference in power transfer or if they caused hot spots. Think about it - pedalling at high power for 24 hours.

No, I didn't think so. Remember they're only "MTB pedals" in your mind because that's what the Marketing Depts tell you to think. Here's Wilko's bike:

[EDIT, sorry Simon, I read your post after I made mine!]

wilkinsonttbike-Wilko-Bike.jpg

In the meantime all you sheep can remain deluded that the "road" system is superior (looks, pro mate, innit?) :roll:

Well said sir!

The irony of course about the marketing of 'MTB; gear is that prior to the term being coined and the sport becoming popular, plenty of similar kit did exist; it was just branded 'touring' instead.