What are the advantages of Road bike cleats over MTB ones

Jon_R
Jon_R Posts: 92
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Quick question. I have a ton of Mountain bike SPD pedals and a few pairs of shoes and I use a pair on my road bike. What is the advantage of the larger road bike cleats and pedals (if any) and do the different colours mean owt?

Ta in advance.

Comments

• kampernaut
    kampernaut Posts: 27
    Jon_R wrote:
    ... do the different colours mean owt?
    The amount of angular freedom i.e. the degree to which you can move your foot before the cleat wants to snap out.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You get a wider base with road bike cleats, less hot spots, more even spread of force.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Jon_R
    Jon_R Posts: 92
    Excellent. Cheers!
  • kampernaut
    kampernaut Posts: 27
    Forgot to add that if you decide to go that way, consider the plastic covers you can slip over them to stop you slipping and to reduce the wear. You'll get more life out of them and less likely to look like a plonker by slipping on your a**e in the pub.

My friends that use SPDs seem to go for them because they are easier to walk around in and last longer because they are made of metal.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    They provide a source of amusement to other cafe users by making you walk like a duck on ice. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    As an SPD user who rides reasonable distances with them, I just want to dispute the hot foot myth, with a small caveat.

I believe that the shoe makes much more difference than the pedal system. When you're wearing a carbon-soled shoe, I don't think the size of the pedal platform makes much difference.

I certainly do not suffer from hot foot with SPDs wearing carbon-soled shoes, even on longer multi-day rides.

I am sure that there are some small performance benefits with SPD-SL and other road cleat systems; but for the purposes of most of us, they will be outweighed by the ability to walk into a cafe.
  • garyk72
    garyk72 Posts: 76
    They look "PRO"!!!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    marcusjb wrote:
    As an SPD user who rides reasonable distances with them, I just want to dispute the hot foot myth, with a small caveat.

I believe that the shoe makes much more difference than the pedal system. When you're wearing a carbon-soled shoe, I don't think the size of the pedal platform makes much difference.

I certainly do not suffer from hot foot with SPDs wearing carbon-soled shoes, even on longer multi-day rides.

I am sure that there are some small performance benefits with SPD-SL and other road cleat systems; but for the purposes of most of us, they will be outweighed by the ability to walk into a cafe.

As an SPD user who rides far enough - I concur - but with a small caveat - I don't think you need a carbon soled shoe - just a stiff sole. My Shimano M087's haven't given me any grief.
  • slowbike
    garyk72 wrote:
    They look "PRO"!!!
    As I said in another thread - this is the worst reason I could think of!

Reminds me of the little phrase .... All the Gear and No Idea ....

and a little anecdote ...
    When I was a lot younger I entered a week long race series. Another kid from school turned up with his "look what Daddy bought me" new equipment. He then proceeded to intricately polish said kit because it would make him faster ... and it was far better than my 3rd hand stuff which whilst it wasn't dirty, was starting to look it's age.
    Anyway - out on the race course this guy was nowhere - I didn't win either, but this guy was straight out the back ...

Moral - it's not the kit you've got - it's how well you can use it. Give a pro my kit and they'll still be a lot faster than I am - probably not too far off race pace either.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I have used MTB SPD's all day on a road bike and too never suffered from hot spots on my feet.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    There really isn't any advantage that anyone will notice on the pedal / cleat design....

The thing is that road shoes have different cleat holes that only work with SPD SL cleats, and MTB shoes with SPD cleats, if you want to use "road shoes", you've pretty much resigned yourself to using SPD-SL cleats; that's the only reason.....

So if you want to look cool on the road bike, wearing road specific shoes are a must:

shimano-r131-spd-sl-shoes.jpg

Wearing these on a road bike would be too "uncool" for the gear concious roadie:

10257_shimano_m162_mtb_spd_shoe_L_1.jpg
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I think I will continue along the uncool mtb SPD route as I don't have to look down at my feet to clip in!
    My mate with his SL's is faster on the flat, I'm faster up hill. It has nothing to do with the pedals :shock: :D
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    There is no benefit at all in having SPD-SLs over SPDs, that''s why there is a pretty even split between the pros using the two. Er actually, hang on...
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    There really isn't any advantage that anyone will notice on the pedal / cleat design....

The thing is that road shoes have different cleat holes that only work with SPD SL cleats, and MTB shoes with SPD cleats, if you want to use "road shoes", you've pretty much resigned yourself to using SPD-SL cleats; that's the only reason.....

So if you want to look cool on the road bike, wearing road specific shoes are a must:

shimano-r131-spd-sl-shoes.jpg

Wearing these on a road bike would be too "uncool" for the gear concious roadie:

10257_shimano_m162_mtb_spd_shoe_L_1.jpg

You can get a limited selection of shoes with holes for both SPD and SPD-SL, but they are rare. I think my shoes are Shimano R087, and they have them.

Personally I would much rather be able to walk with SPD's than have the extra .005% power transfer that SPD-SL's will give me. I have tried both systems, and SPD-SL's are just too much hassle for unnoticeable performance gain.

Has anyone thought that the pros ride SPD-SL's because they get them for free, and it's just the standard they have used for a while, and has nothing to do with performance?
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    lotus49 wrote:
    There is no benefit at all in having SPD-SLs over SPDs, that''s why there is a pretty even split between the pros using the two. Er actually, hang on...

Professional riders choose their kit now, do they? ;)
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Well I have tried SPD and SPD-SL with my road shoes and performance wise there was no difference, no hot spots etc. I much prefer SPD cleats though as I can wear my MTB shoes and still walk on any surface without thinking I'm gonna slip on my arse and these also protect the cleats but the biggest factor is that I prefer having the double sided pedals and can clip in and out easier with SPD, the cleats seem to last much longer too. I think it just comes down to personal preference no right or wrong to it.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 wrote:

Professional riders choose their kit now, do they? ;)
    No, of course they generally don't but I still think the point stands - just replace the word "pro" with "pro teams". I completely take your point that SPD-SLs are not practical to walk in for more than 3m but many of us never walk any further than that so being able to walk in your shoes is not a material advantage.

I have been thinking of buying a cyclocross bike and if I do, I would probably put SPDs on it but I'm sticking with my road pedals on my road bike. Each to his own.
  • retrobike007
    retrobike007 Posts: 215
    Rule #34 people!!!!

That is all LOL ;-)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The benefits of SPDs in terms of being able to walk more easily, the cleats lasting for years, and having double sided pedals for quickly clipping in at the lights don't really apply to professional road cyclists though do they?

If you want SPD pedals with a lighter, road looking shoe you can get some stylish touring shoes, or there are some road shoes with both 3 hole and 2 hole fixings (but then the cleat is not recessed)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    marcusjb wrote:

I certainly do suffer with hot foot in my carbon soled MTB shoes.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • slowbike
    [quote="NapoleonD"
    I certainly do suffer with hot foot in my carbon soled MTB shoes.[/quote]
    you can take off the winter socks now...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    SPD-SL are like the latest trend to make everyone want to buy new aero helmets cos the pros wear them.

Safe to say the majority of riders don't need either..
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Rule #34 people!!!!

That is all LOL ;-)

I'm just amazed and disappointed that it took 'til the bottom of the page for sanity to enter the thread. MTB stuff on a road bike FFS!!! :D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • simon_masterson
    thecrofter wrote:
    Rule #34 people!!!!

That is all LOL ;-)

I'm just amazed and disappointed that it took 'til the bottom of the page for sanity to enter the thread. MTB stuff on a road bike FFS!!! :D

The Velominati represent sanity now, do they? :lol:

If it didn't have 'MTB' in the name, you wouldn't be questioning.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I have tried both. I wear spd-sl. I find them better for power transfer. I don't get this whole thing about not being able to walk in spd-sl cleats. You wear them to ride your bike, they are fine for a short cafe stop. It's not like you are walking down the high street in them, so the argument about not being able to walk in them is rubbish!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • lotus49
    iPete wrote:
    SPD-SL are like the latest trend to make everyone want to buy new aero helmets cos the pros wear them.

You make it sound like clipless road pedals are some Johnny-come-lately. The first clipless pedals invented were single-sided road pedals. The first moden clipless pedals were single-sided road pedals. The first widely used clipless pedals were single-sided road pedals and then, after all this, along came the double-sided MTB pedals.

Safe to say the majority of roadies do not need SPDs.
  • simon_masterson
    TheFD wrote:
    I have tried both. I wear spd-sl. I find them better for power transfer.

Care to prove that? ;)

You may not do much walking in your cycling shoes, but for those of us who do a lot of cycle commuting (i.e. not just to work and back), being able to walk around is very useful, as is having cleats with some semblance of longevity. Double-sided pedals are pretty handy too, and that rules out many road pedals.

There's no performance advantage at stake here; it's a matter of using the system you find most comfortable. For everyone that claims that SLs are more comfortable than SPDs is another that will dismiss both in favour of Speedplay/Look/Time/etc etc etc. They're only pedals, after all.
  • TheFD wrote:
    I have tried both. I wear spd-sl. I find them better for power transfer.

Care to prove that? ;)

Care you prove all of the 'stuff' that you post on here Simon?
    Your average speed of 25mph?
    No point in having better brakes than standard tektro unless you are doing alpine descents?
    A Halfords MTB will be just as fast as a road bike over a 10mile TT?
    Etc. etc.

NO? I though not :wink:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    lotus49 wrote:
    iPete wrote:

You make it sound like clipless road pedals are some Johnny-come-lately. The first clipless pedals invented were single-sided road pedals. The first moden clipless pedals were single-sided road pedals. The first widely used clipless pedals were single-sided road pedals and then, after all this, along came the double-sided MTB pedals.

Safe to say the majority of roadies do not need SPDs.

History aside, all noobs to roadism are sold on this idea that they need these disposable cleated SL pedals. SPD are more than sufficient for the majority of roadies, double sided, last longer, less duck waddle etc.

I ride ride both btw.
  • lotus49
    In phrasing your comment the way you have, you are assuming that SPDs should be the default and then, if your needs are different, you might try SPD-SLs.

I think a much more obvious default position is that you use the ones designed for what you are doing ie SPD-SLs for pure road use and SPDs for MTBs or commuting.

I could use the back of an axe to hammer nails in and say to anyone who is thinking of buying a hammer that most people don't need a hammer when they could perfectly well use the back of an axe. A much more reasonable approach would be to use buy the tool that is designed for what you want to do.