Someone convince me...

13»

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Edging towards the eggbeaters because they look unusual (and because i'm told they're a little easier to use). Not sure though.... :?
    Don't do it man - get SPD-SL's cos they look more Pro .... :twisted:
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Slowbike wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Edging towards the eggbeaters because they look unusual (and because i'm told they're a little easier to use). Not sure though.... :?
    Don't do it man - get SPD-SL's cos they look more Pro .... :twisted:

Ha ha! I think I need to BE a bit more 'Pro' before I start LOOKING it!! Its SPDs or eggbeaters for me for now (unless the Euromillions jackpot is in my bank account on Saturday morning, in which case I might treat myself to some Speedplays...).
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    I didn't read all posts. Are you convinced yet?

On my first racing bike, I had these strap-on pedals. It was a very odd feeling, because I knew, that it would take one or two seconds to get out. Eventually, I only tightened them as much that I could easily get in and out.

Much later, I got SPD pedals and shoes. It is quite a difference to the (lose) strap-on pedals! I practised at home before I dared the first ride, and, over 10 years, I only had one accident, where I simply forgot to unclick, because I was too busy shouting at an idiotic Vespa driver. It was quite embarrassing, but no injuries. :D

Believe it or not, such pedals make you more efficient. Once you got used to them, you won't want to miss them. Furthermore, it is safer too. Have you ever slipped off a pedal at full speed or when climbing a steep hill?
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Mindermast wrote:
    Believe it or not, such pedals make you more efficient. Once you got used to them, you won't want to miss them. Furthermore, it is safer too. Have you ever slipped off a pedal at full speed or when climbing a steep hill?

They keep your feet in place, but they don't make you more efficient, no; not unless you mean that because of your foot position and comfort you will pedal at a higher, more economical cadence.
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    Mindermast wrote:

They keep your feet in place, but they don't make you more efficient, no; not unless you mean that because of your foot position and comfort you will pedal at a higher, more economical cadence.

Ok, my mistake. It should be "they allow you to pedal more efficiently". They don't cause you to do that.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    I used clips on my mb many years ago. And been using flats on my current mb which is a very old beast to get into some resemblance of fitness.

New road bike now so going with clipless as it will give the best transfer for effort put in.

Just choice between speedplays or 105 spdsl type. Not cheap if you don't get on with them.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • Schoie81
    Mindermast, I'm certanly convinced enough to give them a go, and if what everyone says is true for me, once I try them, i'll be fully convinced.... I've been trying my boss' SPDs and i'm happier now that I can see for myself that clipping out quickly is just a case of getting used to doing it. I think it was a mental thing, rather than a genuine physical concern.

I've only once had my foot slip off the pedal, when my chain came off, and that led to a bit of bloodshed from the back of my leg where the edge of the pedal removed a bit of flesh, but I can see that 'clipping-in' will help keep my foot in the right position on the pedal, I try to have the 'ball' of my foot central on the pedal, but it invariably moves forward over time o that the middle of the bridge of my foot is above the pedal spindle - i'm sure this isn't correct.
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    Everyone forgets to unclip on their first ride in SPD-SL, and it only happens once.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So hows it going? did you get any pedals yet?
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Druidor wrote:
    going with clipless as it will give the best transfer for effort put in..

You mean more comfortable and secure? ;)
  • Schoie81
    Carbonator wrote:
    So hows it going? did you get any pedals yet?

Carbonator - i've been waiting for my birthday to come and go, as i'd put all the 'stuff' i need for my new bike on my birthday 'wish list' and so had to see which, if any, of my wishes were fulfilled before spending my money on shoes and pedals. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted, was a bike stand for maintentance, cleaning etc... so now I think that's going on hold, and the shoes and pedals are coming instead.

Hopefully going looking at shoes this weekend- in the flesh so I can try some on. And then I've still got to make the choice between the eggbeaters and SPDs. I can't decide!!! I've also got to bear in mind that once I go clipless on my road bike - i'm likely to want them on my MTB too - so gotta pay for new pedals for that too! And if I get eggbeaters for the road bike, i've got to pay the extra for the eggbeaters for the MTB, or have two pairs of shoes.... I can get SPD pedals for both bikes for only a few quid more than eggbeaters for one bike....

But i still like the look of the eggbeaters.... :? Need to find a shop that stocks the eggbeaters, I think seeing them in the flesh may make my mind up.
  • Anonymous
    Please do not get the eggbeaters, they will be a waste of money if you have been that convinced that you can ride in the shimano's.
    Sorry for the mis-advice, I thought this thread was about getting you into clipless on one bike, not saving a tenner and being clipped into two.
    The 520's have the advantage of looking very pro too don't forget :wink:
  • Geoquads
    Geoquads Posts: 6
    Been reading this thread with interest. 25 yr lay off then back on the bike a mth ago. On the basis of this thread I decided to give spd pedals a go. Like the op, was a little nervous as been reading elsewhere about people always falling off etc etc. Fitted the pedals last night, practiced in the house for 15 mins (had them full loose) and decided to go on my Sunday 6 am run with them today. As I set off I clipped on/off a few times, both while moving and while coming to a stop. Seemed easier being outside on bike than inside the previous night.

...38 miles later (thoughts)
    (windy as f***)
    Decided to do a 10 miler followed by steady pace till knackered.
    - First thing, didn't fall off and no scares.
    - Unclipped the left, whenever approaching junctions. Was aware that I had to make a point of unclipping but wasn't a chore.
    - Feel less knackered doing 38 miles windy at faster pace this week than the 32 miles previous week when no wind a tall at slower pace.

On the basis of today, I'd recommend the switch. The reality of having them is nowhere near as bad as the thought of having them.
  • Schoie81
    Carbonator wrote:
    Please do not get the eggbeaters, they will be a waste of money if you have been that convinced that you can ride in the shimano's.
    Sorry for the mis-advice, I thought this thread was about getting you into clipless on one bike, not saving a tenner and being clipped into two.
    The 520's have the advantage of looking very pro too don't forget :wink:

???? Carbonator - you've lost me? You're now saying I shouldn't get the eggbeaters? Why?? And what difference does it make if I've got one bike or two?

I haven't been fully convinced of anything yet. All I know is that unclipping with SPDs isn't as daunting as my brain was telling me it would be. But i've still only done it whilst holding on to the wall, so i've got nothing else to think about other than un-clipping, i've not dont it whilst moving and i've not had to do it in a hurry as yet. If the eggbeaters are easier to unclip from than the SPDs then I still see that as a good thing for me as a nervous beginner.
  • Anonymous
    If you are really worried about clipping in/out and this is one final go at riding with clipless (which is how it seemed to me from your first post) then I do not understand why you do not just buy the simplest and easiest pedals/cleats to clip in/out of and see how you get on.
    I put it to you that this might be eggbeaters, and apart from people who own M520/40's championing them, no one seems to disagree with this.

You have then brought looks, cost and a second bike into the equation. If these are the most important factor then just buy either the ones you like the look of or the ones that are the cheapest.
    Personally I would try to ride one bike comfortably clipped in before I thought about a second and the cost implications that brings with it.

Everyone else seems to favour the Shimano's so if you are happy with that and the cost works out better then just go for them.

I noticed your other post about shoes and that you have seen some with laces :shock:
    IMO you need some with a stiff sole that are secure on your feet. This is something like reinforced nylon or carbon soles, with ideally a ratchet top strap or if not 3 velcro straps.
    If you get flippy floppy ones your feet will ache from pushing down on tiny pedals, and if they are not secure in them it will make unclipping harder.

Some people on here will tell you that £20 shoes are great, but I would say you are looking at £45-60 if you shop around online or more if you want to buy in a shop at list price.

It's up to you whose advice you take but let us all know how you get on.
  • Schoie81
    Thanks for replying Carbonator.

I'm not sure its my final go at clipless riding, but it is my first and if it doesn't work out, there is a chance I wont bother trying again. Easiest to clip out of is still top of my list or priorities and when I first mentioned liking the look of the eggbeaters, I did say that practicality is still my main concern. If the eggbeaters ARE easier (however easy SPDs may be) then that sounds like a plus to me. I haven't seen anyone else say the eggbeaters are easier, but then also no-one has disagreed with you and said they're not - so I guess thats a kind of confirmation.

I get your point about the second bike, I guess if I get the clipless pedals for one bike and don't get on with them, then the cost of new pedals for my other bike will never come into the equation, becasue I wont want them - the only cost implication will be how much I can get for the pedals on ebay! That, and i've been cycling on my MTB with flat pedals for almost two years so it wont hurt to carry on until I can afford compatible pedals for that - IF i take to them on my road bike. I was just going with the notion that everyone seemed so sure that once I try them, i'll never want to go back, so if they're right i'll be itching to get clipped in on my MTB asap. But you're probably right, i'm one step ahead of myself there.

The reason for the additional considerations was because I haven't seen the eggbeaters myself and so i'm not certain how much easier they are compared to SPDs - if they are pretty similar, then I have to use something else to make the decision. That said, if you think they're easier, and no-one has contradicted you, I guess I should go with that - short of buying both pedals and comparing them presonally, i'm going to get no better indication!

Re. shoes - i've bought them now, so I hope i've made the right decision!! The shoes I found were Shimanos and had laces, but they did have reinforced nylon soles (someone, maybe you, already advised me to go for those) and they felt stiff to me - I could walk in them, but wouldn't like to walk far as it was a bit like walking with a plank of wood fastened to my foot - no flex between heel and toe. I didn't get the lace-up ones in the end though, and the ones i've got have got three straps, not two. I tried some £28 shoes on in SportsDirect - didn't even get as far as fastening them up, they were awful!!

I will keep this thread updated with the route I go down and how I get on with them when they're on my bike!
  • Anonymous
    Hey, you have the shoes so no turning back now :wink: They sound fine. Friend bought some lace up soft sole Shimanos and is in the process of getting decent ones now so glad you did not make the same mistake there.

I am kicking myself for not trying my wife's old M520's before selling them and am slightly tempted to actually buy some so I know the difference myself.

I guess a lot of people may not loosen them off fully, but I still feel they will be less newbie friendly.
    The mere fact they have a screw to adjust and that it does not come supplied (if it does not) in the fully loosened position makes them worth avoiding in itself IMO.

If you do go for the Shimano's and for whatever reason do not get on with them, just promise that you will spend more money and try the eggbeaters rather than give up clipless :wink:
  • Schoie81
    I think i'm going to go with the eggbeaters. I've got one recommendation that they're easier than SPDs, and no-one saying the opposite - that SPDs are easier, so at the very worst it seems that they'll be equal to each other, but likely that they'll be easier. I figure that's giving me the best chance of taking to clipless.

As i've said, my boss has SPDs on both his road bikes. The first time he ever used them, he hadn't loosened them, so got to the end of his road and couldn't clip out - his "clipless moment".... (in fact, he's told me of this tale many times over the years i've worked for him - so maybe he's to blame for my fear of clipless pedals!!) and the ones he's put on his new bike earlier this year he told me he had to loosen all the way off before he rode it anywhere - so certainly the ones he's had didn't come fully loosened off 'out of the box'.

Just gotta press the button and order them now!!
  • Schoie81
    I've done it! Just held my breath and ordered the eggbeaters. May be here before the weekend!! The nervousness and fear of clipping in is still there to some extent, but I'd be lying if I said i'm not slightly excited about them arriving now...

Next update will be picutre of me lying upside down in a bed of nettles!! :wink:
  • Schoie81
    So the pedals arrived, and they're on the bike. Haven't been out on it yet - mixture of nerves and not having had time. Have been getting used to clipping in and out though whilst not moving.

@Carbonator - having tried my boss' SPDs (loosened off as far as they'll go) and now having tried the eggbeaters - I can confirm that the eggbeaters are definitely easier to clip out of. To me, clipping out of the SPDs its clear that they've got you and you have to go against the resistance until they suddenly click free. On the eggbeaters its a smoother process - I think i'd describe it as having your foot stuck to the pedal with chewing gum, and its a smoother motion to twist your foot until it comes free. I'm glad I went for them. Just got to get confident enough to get out there on them.

One question, when you're out on the bike, you're approaching a junction or something that may mean you'll have to stop, do you release one foot as you get close and start slowing in anticipation of having to stop, and then just click back in again if it turns out you can proceed without stopping, or do you not unclip until you know for certain you're going to have to stop?
  • Anonymous
    Hey, glad you have them, now go out and ride ;-)

It just becomes natural and second nature after a while. Just clip out early at first if you are more comfortable with that. Its not like the eggbeaters are at all hard to get back into so it does not really matter.

You want to lose the 'oh no, I might need to unclip here' attitude that M520/40 users often seem to have :lol:
    It's hardly any different to lifting your foot on and off of a flat pedal. You just have to remember to twist off and push back on, and like I said, it becomes second nature.

Your analogy certainly seems to put a gap between the two types (not sure what your boss had) although the eggbeaters are a lot more secure once in than being attached by bubble gum lol.

I want more clipped in pedals but have no problem that I am still currently using eggbeaters. I have never come unclipped without wanting to or felt I could not put some power down, and bunny hop pot holes regularly.

They are a great pedal for anyone with any fear of clipping in and I hope your experience continues to be a good one and that you will spread the word :wink:

Looking forward to a full review once you have used them for a while.
  • Schoie81
    Firstly, I'm pretty sure my boss has the M520s. I did check when I started this thread - but can't remember 100% now, but I think that's what they are. Just pretty standard clipless SPDs anyway..,

I was in no way suggesting that the eggbeaters don't feel secure - once you're clipped in there's no getting out without twisting - it was just the only way I could describe the smoothness of the twisting action.

I was just wondering about the 'precautionary un-clipping' because I wondered if it was a good idea. Approaching a junction you clip out in anticipation of having to stop, but then realise you can carry on - is there a chance at that point when you start putting some effort in again that your foot will come off rather than clip back in?

I do still have an inner instictive fear of being clipped in, but my mind knows its probably irrational. I just need to remember i've got to unclip until it starts to become 'normal'.

Would you say it'd be worth putting them on my MTB instead for a while - i've had that bike nearly 2years and am very comfortable riding it, whereas i've still only done 100miles on my road bike, so i'm still getting used to her. Just wondered if on the MTB i'll be able to just concentrate on getting used to the pedals. Or is that just avoiding tackling the issue???
  • Anonymous
    No harm in trying them on MTB if you are not 100% on the road bike.
    Thing is that even if you take the pedals out of the equation I would say it would be better to forget about riding the MTB until you have got used to the road bike.
    Be comfortable with bike or pedals before putting them together though.
    Maybe try on MTB until you are happy then ride only road bike with flats until you are happy, then ride only road bike with eggbeaters until you are happy.
    Just ride a lot and it will not take long.

Your instinctive fear of clipping in will soon become a real dislike of riding unattached :wink:

Only thing to avoid is doing a sharp u turn. If it goes wrong you will need to put your foot down a lot quicker than in any other situation.

Your foot will not slip off if unclipped when pedalling off. You push down more than forward and can easily pedal without being clipped in.

It might be more comfortable if your cleat is mounted towards the rear of the shoe at first. Depends on shoe but mounting right at the front can sometime be uncomfortable.
  • Schoie81
    Well, there is a reason why i'm still riding my MTB quite a bit, despite wanting to get out on the road bike more - on 18th July I will have had my MTB 2years, and i'm trying to notch up 2,000miles on it before then! Got another 105 miles to go!! I didn't start out with that target, and in fact, didn't use it that much for the first 15months or so, then not so much over last winter (it kept snowing...) so i've had to put the miles in since April to get there, but should make it next week. Then I can give her a rest!

I am pretty comfortable with the road bike now, I cycled to work last week (14miles) and by the time I got to the office, I was feeling much happier with it - starting to feel like we're one and the same.... But certainly I'm still more confident on the mountain bike. Maybe even just one ride on the MTB will convince my head there's nothing to fear.

Going to try and get out on the pedals tonight - even if its only up and down our street to get used to starting and stopping. At least i'll be moving!!

And my boss does have the (inferior :wink: ) 520s - i've just checked!!
  • Schoie81
    Carbonator wrote:
    It might be more comfortable if your cleat is mounted towards the rear of the shoe at first. Depends on shoe but mounting right at the front can sometime be uncomfortable.

So how do I know where to position the cleats? I put them in the middle as that seemed a sensible starting point - is it simply a matter of comfort, so if they feel alright in the middle whilst cycling, do I just leave them there?

Or is there an 'optimal' position for them that I need to find.
  • Anonymous
    Just go with what feels best.
    As far as I am aware its (generally speaking) a compromise between comfort (to the rear) and performance (to the front) more than an ideal location.
    I guess the set up of your bike and type of shoe will have an effect too.
    The main thing is that I would avoid having them fully forward at first.
  • Schoie81
    I was reading some interesting online articles at lunchtime about 'cleat placement'. They seem to suggest that further back is actually better - some even putting forward a strong argument that, whilst not widely accepted, the cleat being mid-foot is actually better. Seems to be agreed that the further forward the cleat, the more power you can put through the pedal, but conversely, having the cleat further back allows you to apply power (albeit slightly less of it) through more of the pedal cycle - so its actually more efficient - it takes the effort from your calves and transfers it to the thighs (excuse the non-biological muscle group terms) which are naturally stronger muscles. I'm not sure whether that's correct - but performance isn't that much of an issue for me anyway, certainly not at the moment. I'm going to try using one of the guides I found and see how that feels as a starting point.

And if I can get the chance tonight, i'm going to take the pedals (and the bike...) out of the house!! And then I might be tempted to ride them... :wink:
  • Schoie81
    I've left the house!! Just rode up and down our street last night, stopping and starting again and getting used to clipping out 'on the move'... Nearly fell over twice, the first time just managing to get my foot off as I was going over and the second a neighbour fence came to my rescue.

I find that its a lot harder to get unclipped in the top half of the pedal stroke - ie. 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock. Is that normal, and I should get used to getting my pedal at the bottom of the stroke when I want to unclip or is it just a case of more practice - again.

My chain snapped on my MTB yesterday and Thursday night is 'commute night' so my first clipless ride has been forced upon me!! Now I FULLY understand the n+1 rule - especially when n=1.
  • Schoie81
    Well Schoie81 is a happy chappy!! Just been out for my first clipless ride. 5.5miles, 250ft of climb and averaged almost 19mph, which is my fast average speed (admitedly though, over the shortest ride distance i've ridden my road bike since the day I picked it up...). No idea whether that can be atrributed directly to the shoes/pedals, but I'm happy anyway.

Fear of being clipped in is still there to some extent, but I have to admit it feels better, more reassuring, having my feet clipped to the pedals. And although there weren't any major hills on this route (saving them for the way home tonight), there were some long gentle(ish) climbs and they felt easier with these pedals. First junction I came to I unclipped both feet about 50yds from the junction, and had to stop and wait for traffic - clipped left back in once i'd stopped and was pleased to find that when I set off again, my right foot just clipped straight in with no effort (maybe beginners luck?) or thought. By the time I got back to the office, I was unclipping just before I stopped and only one foot - feels more natural already.

If anyone is like I was, and really uncomfortable with the idea of clipless pedals, definitely give them a go - you might be as surprised as I am at the difference it seems to makes to how pedalling feels. And its not a scary as you think. Very pleased with my choice of eggbeater pedals, my choice of shoes (dhb shoes from wiggle) and with the advice other people have given on here.

Now tonight (for those who read my other thread last week) we'll see how they go on against the first of three hills that beat me last week - I expect to triumph tonight!! :evil: