Someone convince me...

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    IIRC my Shimano M540s came with a clip in platform imag0233small.jpg - just insert a screwdriver at the back end to clip in/out (right side of the image)
    and I use that to convert from a doublesided SPD to platform pedals for family rides.
    You do need to flip the converted pedal over, but you don't have to do that until you're underway.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    @Slowbike - so the black square platform is completely seperate from the SPD pedal and clips in where the cleat normally goes? So when on, it has a platform one side, and SPD binding on the other...? And when removed its a standard double sided SPD pedal?

Sounds like this might be an option for me! Will see if I can find one....
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Schoie81 wrote:
    @Slowbike - so the black square platform is completely seperate from the SPD pedal and clips in where the cleat normally goes? So when on, it has a platform one side, and SPD binding on the other...? And when removed its a standard double sided SPD pedal?

Sounds like this might be an option for me! Will see if I can find one....

Yes - you've got that spot on, it's a 'normal' two sided SPD, the black bit clips into it in the same way a cleat would. But my experience was those things are worse than useless - you might as well just have your ordinary shoe straight onto the bare SPD...
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • Schoie81
    Yes - you've got that spot on, it's a 'normal' two sided SPD, the black bit clips into it in the same way a cleat would. But my experience was those things are worse than useless - you might as well just have your ordinary shoe straight onto the bare SPD...

Hmmmm... decisions, decisions... They don't seem widely available either - I can only find them on foreign sites or Ebay
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Carbonator - well if you can get them for around £20 then maybe i've been too hasty, but I found them at about £50 and upwards. I'm not sure about the cleat being exposed - from what I can tell, the spd clip 'pops-up' and so it can still be used with shoes with recessed cleats - but i'm not 100% sure on that?

@SimonMasterson - can you shed any light on that??

Very quick search shows Planet X have them for £29.99 delivered. You will need stiff soled shoes (carbon or stiff nylon) or else these or the Shimano's (or any without a platform) will give a pressure point on your foot. Don't bother with cheapo floppy soled shoes. Look in sales. CRC can be good if you get lucky on sizes.

If you need ease of use get the eggbeaters, but if you need to ride without clipping in the Shimano option looks to be your only one.
    Unfortunately I do not think you can have both and I am not sure which is more important to you.

My worry is that you will go the Shimano route and still not like being clipped in.
    I would try to resolve your fear of being clipped in first, and worry about cycling with ordinary shoes second.

The shoes are the same so as I see it the best route is to try the eggbeaters. If you do not like being clipped in with them then you know you would not have liked the Shimano's.

If you do like them then you either stay with them for all riding or stick them on ebay for £20 and buy some multi use Shimano's.

What ever you do, do not buy bendy soled shoes. My mate did (sneaked off to local shop without telling me :roll: ) and is now looking for new ones. He also got a Shimano pedals (which he is kind of ok with but not 100%) but agrees that the eggbeaters I sold him are much easier to use.

Good luck with whatever you get ;-)
  • Anonymous
    Schoie81 wrote:

Hmmmm... decisions, decisions... They don't seem widely available either - I can only find them on foreign sites or Ebay

I feel they might be like the eggbeater ones I had. Not really something designed for lots of use.
    They moved around and felt nothing like a real flat pedal.
    They were just rubbish plastic things that came with the pedals when already fitted to the bike so it was safe (?) to ride and they would not get sued if someone road it without them, wearing normal shoes, and had an accident.
    A bit like bikes come with bells and reflectors on wheels that are not used.
  • slowbike
    Carbonator wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:

I feel they might be like the eggbeater ones I had. Not really something designed for lots of use.
    They moved around and felt nothing like a real flat pedal.
    They were just rubbish plastic things that came with the pedals when already fitted to the bike so it was safe (?) to ride and they would not get sued if someone road it without them, wearing normal shoes, and had an accident.
    A bit like bikes come with bells and reflectors on wheels that are not used.

The ones that came with my pedals are not useless ... yes they're just plastic and no I wouldn't go and do a long ride on them - but for occasional lowkey riding with family etc they're absolutely fine. They don't float about and you do need a screwdriver to lever them in/out. I'm not sure how many insertions/removals they'll take.
    I use them on the CX and done a hard climb up a trail with a trailer and child on these pedals - at no point did they feel unsafe.
  • slowbike
    found them - part code is SM-PD22

A bit expensive to buy separately, but as said - mine came with the M540 pedals purchased earlier this year (worth checking before purchase!)
  • Schoie81
    Well that didn't go too well. Tried 'em out, find that I can clip out with my right foot pretty well, but really struggle with my left. In fact, if the crank is anywhere but forwards (ie. at 9 o'clock) I can't get my left foot out at all. Nearly fell over whilst holding on to the table!! Any my boss has the pedals set up as loose as possible!

Guess its just a case of getting used to it, but don't feel so positive about it now as I did an hour ago... :(

@Carbonator - i'm listening....how much easier would you say the eggbeaters are over SPDs?? With four sides to click in, they seem easier to engage, but I found clipping in ok anyway - the release process/technique seems to be the same for both types of pedal?
  • slowbike
    perhaps you were over working it - I just move my leg/heal out and the rest of the foot follows.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Well that didn't go too well. Tried 'em out, find that I can clip out with my right foot pretty well, but really struggle with my left. In fact, if the crank is anywhere but forwards (ie. at 9 o'clock) I can't get my left foot out at all. Nearly fell over whilst holding on to the table!! Any my boss has the pedals set up as loose as possible!

Guess its just a case of getting used to it, but don't feel so positive about it now as I did an hour ago... :(

With them set up a loose as possible you should be able to yank your foot out vertically with a bit of force so having trouble doing it the normal way is a strange one. Could be to do with how his bike is set up, how you are twisting your foot or perhaps he turned the allen key the wrong way!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Schoie81
    I probably was trying too hard... as I say, probably just need to get used to it. Maybe doesn't help that its not my bike and isn't set up for me, he's about 4-5" shorter than me, and his saddle is quite a bit further back on the rails than mine (although he has an inline seat post and mine is set back, so maybe there isn't that much difference there..)

I checked how the pedals were adjusted, and unless the allen screw has seized up, it wont adjust any looser. He's only had the bike about 6 weeks, so the pedals are fairly new - will they ease up a bit with use and it could just be the newness? Although if it is that, it wont help me, as i'll have to get used to using mine when they're brand new. His cleats are pretty old and don't look in great condition (to my extremely untrained eye) - would a worn cleat make it harder to clip out, or is that more likely to make it easier?

Not giving up on them yet....

Could it be if i'm pulling my heel upwards slightly as I twist my foot out? I've not sure if I was, just wondering if I could be and that wouldn't help?
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I just rotate my heel outwards (or inwards). Level or heel raised doesn't seem to make much difference although I think my heel is probably usually slightly raised.

Could be the newness (although I didn't experience this), could be the bike set-up / position, could be the cleat or it could be your action as you unclip. In practice you'll quickly adjust your action to what works as you get used to them.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • slowbike
    Schoie81 wrote:
    I checked how the pedals were adjusted, and unless the allen screw has seized up, it wont adjust any looser. ?
    Are you sure it was loose? Check which way the +- signs are ...

and if it won't "undo" any more then try doing it up first ... it could be stiff.
  • Schoie81
    Slowbike - will try, but I think its probably my technique - he has no problem at all clipping in and out.

Out of interest - is the clip-out angle adjustable on SPDs? I notice the eggbeater cleats you can set to either 15deg or 20deg to clip-out at. If you can't adjust SPD cleats - any idea what angle they clip-out at?

Its difficult to really tell without the pedals but i've just sat on my own bike and the action seems easier to do on my bike - I think the saddle height might be causing a problem because his is too low for me.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Carbonator wrote:
    Sorry SM, but not sure thats a great idea for the OP and think the eggbeaters are the way to go.

1/ The Shimano's are not as easy to clip in/out of as the eggbeaters.
    2/ They only have one side to clip into so you have to orientate the pedal first, which the OP has said is an issue. The eggbeaters have four sides and this virtually eliminates the need to orientate them at all.
    3/ Riding with (having the option of) flats some of the time is not going to build the OP's confidence in clipping in.

eggbeaters are simple and work. I see people struggling with Shimano's all the time. For someone in the OP's situation eggbeaters are the way forward.

You just aim your foot at them and they are in, twist a little and they are out.
    There are no issues with unclipping other than remembering to do it. This quickly becomes second nature if you use them every ride, but is never going to happen if you have to think about which shoes/side of the pedal you are using that day.

It's already essentially been said, but I'll add my comments anyway...

1. Eggbeaters might be a bit easier but it's not like doublesided SPDs are remotely difficult to use. The benefits of eggbeaters are absolutely irrelevant because of this. If we were recommending pedals for someone with seriously impaired motor skills, or a very young child, that might be different.

2. See above.

3. I understand where you're coming from, but by a similar logic you could discourage cyclists from using the small ring on their bike on anything other than very steep hills (and that chainset can't be a compact, obviously), and from having a cassette/freewheel lower than 23 (19 should be plenty in a flat area). You just need to get stronger and fitter, don't you?
  • Anonymous
    Carbonator wrote:
    Sorry SM, but not sure thats a great idea for the OP and think the eggbeaters are the way to go.

1/ The Shimano's are not as easy to clip in/out of as the eggbeaters.
    2/ They only have one side to clip into so you have to orientate the pedal first, which the OP has said is an issue. The eggbeaters have four sides and this virtually eliminates the need to orientate them at all.
    3/ Riding with (having the option of) flats some of the time is not going to build the OP's confidence in clipping in.

eggbeaters are simple and work. I see people struggling with Shimano's all the time. For someone in the OP's situation eggbeaters are the way forward.

You just aim your foot at them and they are in, twist a little and they are out.
    There are no issues with unclipping other than remembering to do it. This quickly becomes second nature if you use them every ride, but is never going to happen if you have to think about which shoes/side of the pedal you are using that day.

It's already essentially been said, but I'll add my comments anyway...

1. Eggbeaters might be a bit easier but it's not like doublesided SPDs are remotely difficult to use. The benefits of eggbeaters are absolutely irrelevant because of this. If we were recommending pedals for someone with seriously impaired motor skills, or a very young child, that might be different.

2. See above.

3. I understand where you're coming from, but by a similar logic you could discourage cyclists from using the small ring on their bike on anything other than very steep hills (and that chainset can't be a compact, obviously), and from having a cassette/freewheel lower than 23 (19 should be plenty in a flat area). You just need to get stronger and fitter, don't you?

In principle you are right and I agree with you 100%. In reality I see people struggle with Shimano's and not with eggbeaters.

I am only trying to help the OP and anyone else reading as I am a little passionate about people cycling correctly/better and can see someone like the OP giving up (clipping in) unless he has a good experience this time.

I am not really discouraging the OP from using any type of pedal, just saying he uses the easiest type first. The post seems to indicate a problem and I am offering a solution.
    I do not really understand the obsession there often seems to be with Shimano pedals. People seem to get really upset if you say anything bad about them.

Hey, the OP has some more info and its up to him which path he takes. The only difference between my suggestion and yours is about £10 (buy/try eggbeaters for £30 and sell for about £20 if wanting Shimano's). That seems a reasonable outlay/effort to insure the problem is solved to me :roll:
  • Schoie81
    Carbonator wrote:
    I am only trying to help the OP and anyone else reading as I am a little passionate about people cycling correctly/better and can see someone like the OP giving up (clipping in) unless he has a good experience this time.

You know me so well!! :wink:

Seriously though, I really want to give clip in pedals a go, but as I've already said, at the moment at least, i'm not the most confident cyclist, not on a road bike anyway, and so if I go out first time with SPDs, struggle, and end up on the deck every time I come to a standstill, its a realistic possibility that they'll be back to the shop/ebayed/binned and the flat platforms back on. If the eggbeaters truly are easier to clip-out of (i'm not bothered about clipping in, that seemed pretty straightforward with the SPDs) then I think, for me, they're worth a go. The thing i'm unsure of now is if there is any difference between the two in terms of clipping-out - I can see the difference and ease of clipping in with the eggbeaters, but the action for coming off seems to be the same for both - so they may not help me? Are the eggbeaters easier to get off??

(There's also a part of me that doesn't like having what everyone else has (in the same way that I will NEVER own an iPod, or iAnything) so if SPDs are pretty much the industry standard, then the eggbeaters do have some appeal to me! :) Its good to be different! )
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    just to throw another option in the ring. I ride Time Allroad pedals. Flat one side (for short rides) and clips the other. These have the needing to flip issue, but you can ride on the flat side until its safe to clip in. Other Time ATAC pedals have the clips on both sides.
    The cleats fit in two directions - one is easier to get in/out than the other. But neither direction is difficult. They also have quite a lot of freedom of movement.
    Paried up with Polaris Bojo shoes, which are perfectly OK to walk in and don't look like cycling shoes. A little like tap shoes on tarmac, but it doesn't wear the cleats.
  • (There's also a part of me that doesn't like having what everyone else has (in the same way that I will NEVER own an iPod, or iAnything) so if SPDs are pretty much the industry standard, then the eggbeaters do have some appeal to me! :) Its good to be different! )[/quote]

If you want something a bit different get some speedplay zeros, First time i used clipless pedals and went for these & I love em, no knee problems, dead easy to clip in and out

and they look 8)
  • Schoie81
    Come on guys - you're supposed to be helping - this is making it harder!! Couldn't decide between the two options, now there's four (i know there are others out there, i'm trying to ignore them!). The speedplays do look great, but I think the price removes them from my list of options. They might be a 'treat' when whatever I buy now needs replacing...

The Time pedals look worth considering, although I think i'd prefer pedals which clip in on 2 or 4 sides - not off the list just yet though...
  • slowbike
    Schoie81 wrote:
    They might be a 'treat' when whatever I buy now needs replacing...
    The problem with that approach is that the various elements will wear at different rates - meaning you'll be reluctant to replace the whole lot when you can just get one part (ie Shoes, Cleats or Pedals)
  • Anonymous
    Speedplay's are what I want but are not cheap (especially the titanium ones + shoes) hence still using eggbeaters.

I would say they are easier to I clip out from (make sure you have the shallow release angle), but I am not saying the Shimanos are mega hard.
  • Schoie81
    Well day two of SPD practice.... come to the conclusion that i've got a dodgy left leg/foot. Seem to have it sorted with my right foot, but really, really struggle with my left. So, my solution is to fit an SPD to the right, and leave the platform on the left. Sorted!

Or put some weights on the right hand side of my bike, so when I stop, I'll never go over to the left...

Seriously though, I think its a case of practice....and plenty of it. Thought i'd got it sorted at one point, but then couldn't get my foot off no matter what I did, so think I must be doing something slightly wrong, just need to figure out what.

But now i've no idea what to do about the type of pedals to go for, thanks to too many suggestions!! Concerned about lots of reviews about the eggbeaters not lasting long before the bearings fail and when they do, they ruin the spindles too, seems they struggle to last more than 1500 miles - how does that compare to lifespan of shimanos? I do like the 'different' look of the eggbeaters, but not enough to keep replacing them all the time. Have found some lower priced speedplay ones, but think i'd prefer recessed cleats for when I do need to walk on them - and with proper road cycling shoes I think I would look a bit like an idiot who's bought all the kit before he knows how to use it... Time pedals don't look 'different' enough for me to sacrifice the dual sided clip-in. So unless someone can convince me on the durability of eggbeaters, I think i'm doing to have to be boring and go with SPDs..... Some of the eggbeater reviews seem to suggest that the users didn't grease them, often out of a feeling that they shouldn't have to, and CrankBrothers seem to suggest that greasing them makes them last longer, happy to do that if it means i'll get more miles out of them. How do eggbeater users on here find their lifespan??
  • Schoie81
    edited June 2013
    Carbonator wrote:
    Speedplay's are what I want but are not cheap (especially the titanium ones + shoes) hence still using eggbeaters.

I would say they are easier to I clip out from (make sure you have the shallow release angle), but I am not saying the Shimanos are mega hard.

Yeah, can get shimano or eggbeater pedals for the same price as just the speedplay cleats - I'm not brave enought to even suggest speedplays to the missus... £80millions Euromillions jackpot this Friday, so who knows.... :wink:

Easier is good, even if its relative to something thats easy anyway. As I say, the look of the eggbeaters appeals to me, but only if there aren't disadvantages, practicalilty is still more important than looks. @carbonator - How do you find their durability and need for maintenance?
  • Anonymous
    Not had a problem but I do lube them quite often.
    Wondering if problems are more when used offroad and not looked after? Because I use them on a road bike they are cleaned and lubed with the bike.
    I still feel they are worth a punt if they help with your clipping in issues.
    Have a search and you might get them cheaper.
  • Schoie81
    Not everyone admitted it, but some reviews stated that they'd contacted CrankBrothers and their response said that greasing the bearings will substantially prolong their life-span. People's response to that was generally that they had friends with shimanos who's basically fitted the pedals, then dont nothing with them, so why should they grease the crank brother pedals. Far as i'm concerned, if they need greasing they need greasing, and if you don't then don't expect them to last.

I am very tempted....

And as the cleats fit two-holed shoes, if I did decide to change to shimano SPDs, I wouldn't need to buy new shoes as well.
  • Dezcore
    Dezcore Posts: 34
    I got my first bike in 13yrs (I'm 33)thanks to the ride to work scheme (9 miles e/w) back in March of last year, ran the normal pedals always and had fun trying to trip the 30mph notices outside the Ravenscraig Sports Centre. On Wednesday there decided to get a fixed gear bike, nothing special "Python Atlas" but got it with SPD pedals as I had shoes I picked up from a car boot sale lying about for months.

Best thing I have done regarding my bikes, riding is smoother and it definitely feels better personally, sure I make a few "misses" at traffic lights and junctions for which I briefly feel a bit silly at times, but there is no question that I will use the system on any other bike I should get.

I do wish I had done it on my hybrid Trek Bodega 2011 as I do think it would make a difference to quality of ride and speed also. The pulling up isn't "automatic" yet but it makes a difference, especially uphill.
  • Schoie81
    Dezcore, Thanks for sharing your experience. I think i'm 99% sure i'm going to be 'clipped in' before too long. I've still been having daily 'taster' sessions with my bosses SPDs and with my right foot its almost natural now and comes off easy enough, my left is getting there slowly.... Reassured myself a little on Friday as I lost my balance on the bike (still indoors - haven't ventured outside yet..) and as the panic set in as I started falling over, I found I still managed to get my foot off the pedal and stop myself - so one of my fears slightly reduced by that...

Now i'm trying to decide whether to go for the SPDs with a surrounding platform (practical because I can use them easily with normal shoes if i'm out cycling with my son or just nipping to see someone) or crank brothers because they're (alledgedly) a bit easier to use and they look better!?!? Decisions, decisions....
  • Schoie81
    Think i've got it!! Just had another go with the boss' pedals and shoes and after not trying it since last week the break seems to have let it sink in to my brain - seems quite easy now, still easier with my right foot, but I can get out of the left one without too much trouble 90% of the time and regardless of where the pedal is.

So now to save up to buy my own!! And decide which ones (more difficult to do!). Edging towards the eggbeaters because they look unusual (and because i'm told they're a little easier to use). Not sure though.... :?