Yates biography

13»

Comments

• Does this book cover any of his time at Sky or just him as a rider?

He comes off very badly in Cav's At Speed. He seems like he didnt have much of a head for his job either.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Quite honestly, I'm not that interested in the Armstrong/Sky DS stuff, I'd be more interested in his own riding career. Does that get as much coverage?

I have read quite a few reports about him and he was one of the best "Super Domestique's" in his day. Also a good captain on the road. Some video of him descending would be good to see as he was apparently fearless on the steep, twisting downhill stuff.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Said he learned how to descend from riding his motorbike. 89 Tour (I think) he was away in an early break on a mountain stage with Kelly - no doubt someone with a better memory will be able to name the stage and year, there was some pretty impressive descending on that stage. Shades of his 2-up break with Kelly in the Nissan, no holding back in the rain on that day as well.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Does this book cover any of his time at Sky or just him as a rider?
    It covers his life to date. His time with Sky isn't covered in great detail.

I borrowed a copy from the library and got through it quite quickly. From his childhood through a long career, marriage, a second career in the car and his health issues, it's necessarily selective. He also has added quotes and contributions from a number of people he worked with because his memory isn't that great.

There is a review at http://www.podiumcafe.com/book-corner/2 ... sean-yates
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Maybe being squeamish, but I winced a bit reading about his health - scary for anyone of a similar age. I can remember him flying off the front in junior road races where I was pack filler (or more likely off the back) and him and Tim Stevens ripping up TT's. I also remember seeing him riding the Good Friday meeting at Herne Hill just after he'd had a pacemaker fitted, which was a bit of a surprise.