Yates biography

Comments

• As you know - and as LL often has a fit at me :wink: - I'm a fan of Yatesy

But this wasnt a good idea. NOT AT ALL.

The PA article used by the Guardian looks like a bit of a stitch-up - but to be fair, Yates has puts himself in this position.

The Owen Slot interview with him in the Times today doesnt read as a stitch-up, but it reveals and questions a lot more effectively.

I got hold of a copy of the book on Tue - Yates' lauding of Lance, Bruyneel and Pedro Celaya - make highly uncomfortable reading, I have to say.
  • The way he compares Froome with Armstrong could be seen as being rather 'nudge nudge, wink, wink', especially given the way Yates lost his job at Sky and what is now known about Armstrong. It is tactless at the very least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ona-RhLfRfc
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    The way he compares Froome with Armstrong could be seen as being rather 'nudge nudge, wink, wink', especially given the way Yates lost his job at Sky and what is now known about Armstrong. It is tactless at the very least.

You just couldn't help yourself could you, must get in another "Froome is a doper" dig. :roll:

I suspect the Ghost writter may be John Dearing ("Team on the Run")as he did mention a year back that he was doing this project, although that could have changed.
  • bockers wrote:
    The way he compares Froome with Armstrong could be seen as being rather 'nudge nudge, wink, wink', especially given the way Yates lost his job at Sky and what is now known about Armstrong. It is tactless at the very least.

You just couldn't help yourself could you, must get in another "Froome is a doper" dig. :roll:

I suspect the Ghost writter may be John Dearing ("Team on the Run")as he did mention a year back that he was doing this project, although that could have changed.

Correct - its Dearing
  • bockers wrote:

Correct - its Deering
  • bockers wrote:
    You just couldn't help yourself could you, must get in another "Froome is a doper" dig.

'Another'? As far as I recall I have only mentioned Froome in relation to doping just once in the past, and that was indirectly, in relation to the existence of AICAR.

Is it 'helpful' to have an 'old school' rider with an intimate knowledge of what went on both in USP / Discovery and Sky making direct comparisons between Armstrong and Froome? I would say not!

It is Yates you need to be getting shirty with! :D
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Also mentions Wiggins almost quit

John Deering also wrote Team on the Run,The Inside Story of the Linda McCartney Pro Cycling Team, DS Sean Yates

51KFZPFESSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX342_SY445_CR,0,0,342,445_SH20_OU02_.jpg
  • --Darren-- wrote:
    Also mentions Wiggins almost quit

John Deering also wrote Team on the Run,The Inside Story of the Linda McCartney Pro Cycling Team, DS Sean Yates

51KFZPFESSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX342_SY445_CR,0,0,342,445_SH20_OU02_.jpg

This was covered in Wiggins book with Will Fotheringham last Nov. That's old news.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Is there much in the book about when he was the main DS for a Ferrari powered GT win?

Anyone who buys that book wants to have a long hard look at themselves...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Is there much in the book about when he was the main DS for a Ferrari powered GT win?

Do stop being so self-righteous
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Do stop being so self-righteous

Back at ya :P
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    To be fair - if we all didn't buy a book by a cyclist that had been associated with doping, we'd not have much to read.

Just off the top of my head: Millar's Out of the Dark, Hamilton's The Secret Race, Kelly's book, Fignon's book, Roche's book and obviously anything by Armstrong.

Hayles and Wegellius' tomes would probably be out as they both failed haemocrit tests

So we're left with the books of Cav, Wiggins, Hoy and biographies....
  • iainf72
    It's not the doping. It's part of the story it needs to be in there

Anyone who think writing a book with that title doesn't really get it.
  • And to any young riders undecided on weather doping or being involved in doping pays off then here is yet another example.

Cheating pays off in the world of cycling.
  • Sounds like it might be a good read if he's giving an insiders view on how Sky operate without worrying too much about upsetting th e management. Yes it's not complete, we all know he isn't telling the full story, but there will be some interesting insights in there all the same.

As for some of the other nonsense in this thread, for my money Yates usually offers a decent insight into racing, if people want someone who enunciates better stick with Carlton Kirby.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • iainf72
    As for some of the other nonsense in this thread, for my money Yates usually offers a decent insight into racing, if people want someone who enunciates better stick with Carlton Kirby.

Not DS'ing though I'd guess, as it just involves "driving the car", no? :P
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    mroli wrote:
    To be fair - if we all didn't buy a book by a cyclist that had been associated with doping, we'd not have much to read......

Get them from the library :D
  • LutherB wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    To be fair - if we all didn't buy a book by a cyclist that had been associated with doping, we'd not have much to read......

Get them from the library :D

Well done for finding one that's not been closed down

*grumbles*
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Well mine's nearly there - open 2 days a week. I'd imagine there's at least one within cycling distance of you RR
  • LutherB wrote:
    Well mine's nearly there - open 2 days a week. I'd imagine there's at least one within cycling distance of you RR

It was an invaluable source for recycling bags till recently
  • To quote Yates.

“To be brutally honest, there is no one at Sky who knows much about bike riding."

“In general, this year especially, the guys running the team don’t know enough about bike-riding and a lot of the riders went into the Tour overtired. They are made to race too much, too long, too hard.”
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    To quote Yates.

“To be brutally honest, there is no one at Sky who knows much about bike riding."

“In general, this year especially, the guys running the team don’t know enough about bike-riding and a lot of the riders went into the Tour overtired. They are made to race too much, too long, too hard.”
    The logical conclusion must presumably be that you don't need to know much about bike riding to win the tour twice running?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I am a Sean Yates fan because I knew him as a local club rider.
    He was a terrific amateur rider as a Track and Time Trialist.
    Yates competed at the 1980 Summer Olympics, finishing sixth in the 4,000m individual pursuit.
    As an amateur in 1980, he won the British 25-mile individual time trial championship, and took the national record for 10-mile time trials with 19m 44s.

As an amateur Yates rode for ACBB in Paris with fellow British riders John Herety and Jeff Williams.
    Yates quickly became known for his incredible turn of speed and power. He turned professional in 1982 for Peugeot cycling team riding alongside Graham Jones, Robert Millar and Stephen Roche. He moved to Fagor in 1988. In 1989 he joined the American team, 7-Eleven and then in 1991 Motorola, where a young Lance Armstrong joined the team.
    Armstrong left the Tour de France and the sport in 1996 which is the year Yates retired and a year later he resumed domestic racing in England. (Then the Armstrong Saga was about to start)

The young Armstrong was a strong rider (Triathlete on arrival)) when Yates taught him about European racing but the youngsters EGO stopped him getting results until 1993 in Norway he escaped the selection to stay away to win a World Championship.

Now you can carry on with your guesswork and Innuendo as I have nothing further to contribute.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    LutherB wrote:
    That's right - Use your library - or lose it (and put people like me out of work!)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    deejay wrote:
    I am a Sean Yates fan because I knew him as a local club rider.
    He was a terrific amateur rider as a Track and Time Trialist.
    Yates competed at the 1980 Summer Olympics, finishing sixth in the 4,000m individual pursuit.
    As an amateur in 1980, he won the British 25-mile individual time trial championship, and took the national record for 10-mile time trials with 19m 44s.

As an amateur Yates rode for ACBB in Paris with fellow British riders John Herety and Jeff Williams.
    Yates quickly became known for his incredible turn of speed and power. He turned professional in 1982 for Peugeot cycling team riding alongside Graham Jones, Robert Millar and Stephen Roche. He moved to Fagor in 1988. In 1989 he joined the American team, 7-Eleven and then in 1991 Motorola, where a young Lance Armstrong joined the team.
    Armstrong left the Tour de France and the sport in 1996 which is the year Yates retired and a year later he resumed domestic racing in England. (Then the Armstrong Saga was about to start)

The young Armstrong was a strong rider (Triathlete on arrival)) when Yates taught him about European racing but the youngsters EGO stopped him getting results until 1993 in Norway he escaped the selection to stay away to win a World Championship.

Now you can carry on with your guesswork and Innuendo as I have nothing further to contribute.

That's an interesting take on the story deej, thanks for that. As a Yates neutral i didnt know the timelines that well...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    ddraver wrote:
    and took the national record for 10-mile time trials with 19m 44s.

That's an interesting take on the story deej, thanks for that. As a Yates neutral i didnt know the timelines that well...
    Guess who had the watch and the paperwork for 19.44 and again the next year with Dave Lloyd 19.11.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    --Darren-- wrote:
    9731131833_b3f651c819_o.jpg
  • iainf72
    knedlicky wrote:
    --Darren-- wrote:
    9731131833_b3f651c819_o.jpg

^^^
    Amazing

Hat
  • Does he end the book talking about quitting to spend time with his family? Or does he actually tell the truth?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Quite honestly, I'm not that interested in the Armstrong/Sky DS stuff, I'd be more interested in his own riding career. Does that get as much coverage?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.