Yates biography

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2013 in Pro race
Anyone know who's ghosting it?

As I pointed out on Twitter a few days ago, it's got to have the worst title in the world. Ever.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Kimmage needs paid work doesn't he?
  • iainf72
    Actual LOL
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    iainf72 wrote:
    Anyone know who's ghosting it?

As I pointed out on Twitter a few days ago, it's got to have the worst title in the world. Ever.

I think it might be Fotheringham, W

Those looking of revelations of a pharmaceutical nature will be sadly disappointed...on the other hand, I wouldnt be surprised if Surdave gets a shoeing
  • iainf72
    Perhaps the title is to warn us that it's a joke or something?
  • Richmond Racer
    Yates likes his little joke
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    whats the title?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    "It's all about the bike"
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    An Autobiography by a cheat that doesn't admit to cheating is pretty low grade these days.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Surely "If I did it" by OJ Simpson is the worst title in history
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    He probably wasn't in the armstrong league of pharmaceuticals but David Walsh wasn't convinced he was clean so I think any doubt has some substance. Mind he was in that era when most of peloton was at it with various "vitamins" but pre EPO when it all went a bit mad.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    He was a huge favourite of mine back in the day. With hindsight I'd be very surprised if he didn't dope but you do have to take that in context. I'm not one for making excuses but I'm not really sure a top domestique of that era should come clean and damage their own reputation unless it is part of a major truth and reconciliation process where all the star riders of the
    era are also coming clean.
    If he wanted to come clean for his own reasons, all power to him, but don't vilify the man for have moderate success in a corrupt sport.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    "It's all about the bike"

Put 'motor' in there in front of 'bike' and we'd have an interesting title..
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    An Autobiography by a cheat that doesn't admit to cheating is pretty low grade these days.

Not really fair. How many riders from that era have confessed without some kind of coercion.

Shall we all post up a list of all of our misdemeanors over the years ? You first.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I don’t know what Yates (or Fotheringham) has written, but don’t forget that hypocrisy is a strong british characteristic.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Is it cheating, really?

It may be technically...

Anyway. To someone who was born in '88 he seems unbelievably boring.

The kind of person who people have a lot of stories about, but who doesn't have many stories to tell himself.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    With regard to the cheating aspect, you have to realise that doping was taken very lightly back then. In 1988 Gert Jan Theunisse tested positive for testosterone in the Tour and only got a ten minute penalty. He wasn't even kicked of the race. Doping in the 80s was considered cheating in a similar degree that diving is in football
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    To answer my own question, it's John Deering ghosting it
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    To be fair, I don't think it's the question of whether he dabbled in the "vitamins" of the pre epo era as a rider that's troublesome , but working as a manager for Discovery and Astana causes a slight elevation of the eyebrows.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • LeicesterLad
    To be fair, I don't think it's the question of whether he dabbled in the "vitamins" of the pre epo era as a rider that's troublesome , but working as a manager for Discovery and Astana causes a slight elevation of the eyebrows.

This, forget the silly pill popping and 'vitamins' - he was an Armstrong domestique and DS and he wasn't pre-EPO at this time.

The way he wiggled out of Sky's backdoor when the whole 'sign or resign' thing came about and doing the whole 'suddenly want to spend time with my family after expressing no desire to do so beforehand, oh and who's Lance Armstrong?' was a disgrace in my eyes.
  • inkyfingers
    If he wasn't English would we even be talking about this? Most of the DS's and management in pro cycling have a similar back story to Yates and few of them have been honest about it either, then again I suppose maybe they haven't decided to write a "tell nothing" book (assuming it won't lift the lid of the last 20 years of doping in the pro peloton).
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Out of interest, I wonder whether the Wegelius book says anything about doping in the teams he was on - I bet good money the answer's no
  • inkyfingers
    Out of interest, I wonder whether the Wegelius book says anything about doping in the teams he was on - I bet good money the answer's no

I'm hoping that book is as good as some people are saying it is.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661

This, forget the silly pill popping and 'vitamins' - he was an Armstrong domestique and DS and he wasn't pre-EPO at this time.

The way he wiggled out of Sky's backdoor when the whole 'sign or resign' thing came about and doing the whole 'suddenly want to spend time with my family after expressing no desire to do so beforehand, oh and who's Lance Armstrong?' was a disgrace in my eyes.

You ve never mentioned it before LL :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    If he wasn't English would we even be talking about this? Most of the DS's and management in pro cycling have a similar back story to Yates and few of them have been honest about it either, then again I suppose maybe they haven't decided to write a "tell nothing" book (assuming it won't lift the lid of the last 20 years of doping in the pro peloton).

But not all ex DS's introduced the sports most famous cheater to motoman.

If this book is anything like how he interviews, it's bound to be incoherent.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Richmond Racer
    Timoid. wrote:

But not all ex DS's introduced the sports most famous cheater to motoman.

If this book is anything like how he interviews, it's bound to be incoherent.

It can never be released on audio, thats for sure
  • LeicesterLad
    ddraver wrote:

You ve never mentioned it before LL :P

:oops:
  • Richmond Racer
    Think nice thoughts, LL, like how Quintana's going to rock the Tour, and how Bardet's going to win a stage

:D
  • LeicesterLad
    Think nice thoughts, LL, like how Quintana's going to rock the Tour, and how Bardet's going to win a stage

:D

They are very nice thoughts. :D
  • iainf72
    This doesn't sound embarrassing at all

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/s ... sean-yates
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Not the smartest guy in the room.