Oi roadies, tell me why....

Comments

• xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    On my TT bike the bottle is claimed to make it more aero. Longest I have tt'd is a 25, and I don't drink at all in that, will put some water in the bottle for a 2 hour ride today. Some guys do actually use a camelfront for the longer TT's. I imagine it do be rather sweaty though.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Jeeze - there's a load of wimps out there who can't cope with a few extra Kgs on their back!

I'm another commuter who regularly rides with a (small) backpack on - lunch, spare clothes + whatever else I need. I don't notice it there - not on the climbs (extra weight) or descents/on the flat (aero drag).
    I don't use the pack whilst being a roadie as I don't need to carry the extra stuff around (bottle(s) on the frame), but if I did I wouldn't hesitate in using the pack.

About the only downside is the slightly more sweaty back - its probably just as sweaty eitherway, just without the pack on it tends to dry out more quickly.
  • TomOdell
    TomOdell Posts: 33
    Chris Bass wrote:
    But you're a commuter then.. not a roadie. This guy is asking about roadies.

a road bike rider who commutes...
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Nothing more annoying than riding a MTB with bits strapped to it. Bottle, pump tail pack etc. Just asking to drop stuff.
    Roadies go faster generally so the wind resistance of a back pack is more of an issue.

The water bladder can be a handy airbag for your back when you go A o T

Roadies have OCD, anything baggy or flapping makes them get all awkward and sweaty.

MTB is more upright, spent more time out of the seat, on my road bike I spend most of my time in the aero bars
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    I do wonder why more of the Pointy Hat Brigade don’t use the very low profile, small capacity Camelbaks in TT’s under their skinsuits. Minimal amount of drag, and surely not having to have a bottle or two on the frame and airflow disturbance reaching down, removing and drinking is an advantage?

I recall seeing one or two pro’s in the TdF adopting this strategy

Or is this type of witchcraft outlawed by the Pointy Hat Police?

PArtly as your man said becasue the "bottles" have become a way to make the bike more aero without falling foul of the rules

They Camelbak jersey thing WAS tried but was swiftly banned for use as a tool for aerodynamic dynamic advantage, but allowed for hydration. How they judge that is anyones guess as usal, but it seems for most ProTour sort of time trials then it wasnt allowed. I suspect that longer ones (and probably not UCI sanctioned ones) they re more common
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,428
    I commute with a backpack. But only because I have a massive lunchbox 8)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Mtb'ers out in the wild? Most mountain bikes I have seen are either strapped to a car, or are ruining there tyres on the road.
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    doug5_10 wrote:
    I think it stems from MTBers using Camelbaks instead of bidons, hence can't really have anything in jersey pockets, hence it becomes a backpack. I presume the whole moving-the-saddle-up-and-down-thing (i'm a seasoned MTBer, can you tell :wink:) prevents the use of saddle packs, hence that will go in a backpack as well. And if you're off into the wildy-wild, you need a bit more kit. Since roadies have none of these issues (unless you're Tommy V in the Tour of Belgium!!) ergo: no Backpacks.

And its against the rules

And you look like a Bumbly (same effect as reflectors, bells, mirrors, baggy lycra etc....)

Dont forget the Dork Ring!
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I use a large back pack when commuting to work, it includes my work shoes, work clothes and lunch. The otherday on my way home it even included a bag of potatoes. I still manage to average 18mph over 7 to 10 miles with it. I always say I bet i would be faster without it, however I still set PR and win KOM or top 10 on strava

http://app.strava.com/activities/52898009#990899892 - Joint 2nd out of 371 people

http://app.strava.com/activities/54531730#994497496 - KOM

The above were done with a large backpack with work clothes/shoes etc.
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    as above, have no choice but to commute with a backpack..hate the thing but it does help with training...carrying allsorts back from lunchtime errands from bottles of beer to bottles of bleach.

Ace feeling cycling on the sunday morning though without the backpack...feel like someones taken the reigns off!
  • ddraver
    mike6 wrote:
    Mtb'ers out in the wild? Most mountain bikes I have seen are either strapped to a car, or are ruining there tyres on the road.

By definition, you can't see the wild from the road
    - @ddraver
  • diy
    Doesn't the Spesh Shiv have the water bottle built in to the frame?
  • mike6
    ddraver wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

By definition, you can't see the wild from the road

By definition, If they were in the wild I would never see one.
  • ddraver
    you re suggesting that we must teleport from home to the wild? Dude if you have that kind of technology you must be rolling in it!
    - @ddraver
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I've ridden MTB for years and never had a backpack lol
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    As a long-term roadie I remember sitting with the MTB group (some of whom were seasoned roadies anyway) and wondering why I was seeing knee pads, one or two full-faced helmets, woodland themed tough clothing, lots of full-fingered gloves and everyone with a backpack. By the end of my first ride it was all pretty obvious. Even though I avoided the crazy (to me anyway) stuff necessitating the safety gear, my arms and fingers were torn by thorns, my clothing was snagged in various places and I hadn't even had the chance to take a drink, imagine trying yo drink a coffee from a cup and saucer whilst green-laning in a land-rover, it was a bit like that! To top it all, when I did come off sideways at zero speed my seat-tube pump mount was promptly broken straight off. And when I did try and drink the bottle was muddy as others have said.

By week 2 I had a Camelbak so I could drink on the move, clothes up to the job, gloves which would protect my hands, basic first aid items plus multitool plus pump et al in the backpack and realised the two disciplines were like chalk and cheese.

But to answer the OP, it's not needed in the same way on the road. Pump on frame or in back pocket, one or two inner tubes or co2, multitool, maybe saddle bag, maybe one or two pockets in use, some money and mobile phone in case the team car needs to be called.
  • richie771
    richie771 Posts: 20
    I loved the comment "Does Wiggo wear one" - No, but he has a Team Sky Jaguar estate car following him!!!!!! ;)
    Xenith Pro Ultegra Di2
    Mavic Kysyrium
    FSA Carbon Cockpit
    Garmin Edge 800
  • mike6
    ddraver wrote:
    you re suggesting that we must teleport from home to the wild? Dude if you have that kind of technology you must be rolling in it!

I have, and I am. :D
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I think MTBers that actually go out into the 'wild' are a rare breed these days, the Trail Centre seems to have conquered most of them. Go into any bike shop and ask what customers want, and it's an MTB 'ideal for Trail Centre 'name''.

I think they're missing out, but it's what they want to do. If you went and sat on the benches outside Llandegla cafe a few years back and watch, all the riders were using SPD, almost overnight they switched to flats. So don't tell me it's only roadies that are attracted to form over function ;)

Anyway, I don't know any roadies who use a backpack, but when I see one they're usually a beginner, you know, hi viz yellow jacket on a mild spring day, reflectors, massive 'udder' under the seat carrying god know's what. Eventually they get sucked in by the 'rules' that comes from understanding what they actually need on a ride.
  • diy
    One of the reason MTBers ride trails is because there is less chance of meeting a bobble hat walking the other way when you are coming down a rocky path at 20+. Another reason is to avoid cutting new trails in the country side.

One of the main difference between road riding and MTB is that on the road we are the poor vulnerable road users who get the ear of the authorities quite a lot. In the trail we are hooligans destroying countryside and are something to be managed and controlled.

I never got the SPD vs Flat thing. I ride SPD on everything.
  • ddraver
    mike6 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Can I use it to get ack from Algeria please? Takes for flipping ever! 16th of June, to Den Haag please!
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    ddraver wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Can I use it to get ack from Algeria please? Takes for flipping ever! 16th of June, to Den Haag please!

Of course. Anything for a fellow forum contributor. AM or PM? :D
  • ddraver
    ASAP!!!
    - @ddraver
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I do wonder why more of the Pointy Hat Brigade don’t use the very low profile, small capacity Camelbaks in TT’s under their skinsuits. Minimal amount of drag, and surely not having to have a bottle or two on the frame and airflow disturbance reaching down, removing and drinking is an advantage?

Did try that once for a 50 on a very hot day but I found the camelbak stopped the pointy hat from sitting on my back properly. Plus the small diameter of the tube meant the liquid in it was at a soup like temperature every time I took a swig....
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    If you cant get everything you need in the rear jersey pockets you have no place on a bike...........lol.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • mike6
    JackPozzi wrote:

Did try that once for a 50 on a very hot day but I found the camelbak stopped the pointy hat from sitting on my back properly. Plus the small diameter of the tube meant the liquid in it was at a soup like temperature every time I took a swig....

I think this was proposed by a team in the 90s, under the jersey, but was discounted by the UCI or race organisers as an aerodynamic aid. Cant recall the exact details but remember something about camelbacks being banned from TTs.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Think it was more recent than that, I'm sure I've seen photos of one of the Schlecks wearing one, but on his chest. With the drinking tube removed. In a really short prologue. So clearly just to try and fill in the gap round the front of the body when in the TT position, and I think that led to the ban IIRC?
  • ddraver
    Frank, and yes. I did nt know he removed the tube though, clearly that's pretty obvious!
    - @ddraver
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    The rule quoted.
    Rule #32 // Humps are for camels: no hydration packs.
    Hydration packs are never to be seen on a road rider’s body. No argument will be entered into on this. For MTB, they are cool.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    I like all this talk of the "wild" when the thread regards MTB'ing in the UK - the furthest you can get from a metalled road is 7 miles and 99.9% of all the riding you'll ever do will be many times closer. Some people may be referring to biking abroad, which is obviously different, but that wouldn't explain why you see MTB'er in the North Downs with backpacks on...

That said even MTB shoes are far from a decent pair of walking shoes/boots, so I still wouldn't like to push my bike for an hour for the sake of carrying a little extra gear.