The Highest Rated IMDB Top 250 Film...

13»

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Davdandy wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Glad to see Oldboy on that list. If you haven't seen it, Watch it!

Me too,one of if not the best film of the last fifteen years.

+another one. It's an excellent film.

Also just watched Project X (the film about the Facebook party that went out of control). Seriously funny!

Its another level isn't it?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    laurentian wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I recently started picking films from that list as an easy way of finding new stuff to watch. I still have never seen any of the Godfather fims however and not sure I really want to...am I really missing something that special?

I've only seen the first - massively over-rated IMO. Over long. The only potentially nice person in the film is Pacinos characters missus and she gets blown up before she's hardly said anything! The rest of them, Pacinos supposed 'hero' character included, are all irredeemably nasty and I can't be bothered to sit through a very long gangster film when there is no one in it who I wouldn't be happy to see blown away! :lol: Bit of a fatal flaw really. Cinematography is terrific though.

The trilogy of films is based on Mario Puzo's (I think) written work - and is based around Pacino's character trying to legitimize the "family business" and try to attain catharsis for himself as time goes by . . . he gets nicer!

That's interesting, Rolf actually raised the issue that kept me away from it, I'm wary of watching gangster type films as I was put off by Goodfellas. It came out towards the end of high school for me and everyone was going on about how great and cool it was and quoting lines from it and all I saw was a bunch of nasty unlikeable characters who I was happy to see get killed off and ended up not really caring for it as a film. Unless that was the point in Goodfellas and I missed it?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Ah, Goodfellas. There's one I don't get. Two and a half hours of incredibly annoying people shrieking at each other. Lorraine Bracco was surely the inspiration for Bianca from Eastenders.

The Godfather is a totally different type of film.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Number 9: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.

Watched the first LOTR film, thought it was shite, didn't bother with the rest.

I think I've seen the Godfather films in that list, although I don't know if they count because I got bored and fell asleep.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    That list has some very weird omissions and inclusions.

No James Bond in there - I would have thought that Goldfinger at least would figure. And how the hell did Ip Man get on the list? I could name at least 10 better martial arts films. At least Crouching Tiger wasn't in there.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    Davdandy wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Great film. Made me realise how effective a hammer could be :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • afx237vi
    seanoconn wrote:
    Davdandy wrote:
    goonz wrote:

And how tasty an octopus can be when you're feeling a bit peckish.
  • goonz
    johnfinch wrote:
    That list has some very weird omissions and inclusions.

No James Bond in there - I would have thought that Goldfinger at least would figure. And how the hell did Ip Man get on the list? I could name at least 10 better martial arts films. At least Crouching Tiger wasn't in there.

Im glad IP Man is in there, easily one of my best martial arts movies...
  • seanoconn
    afx237vi wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Davdandy wrote:
    goonz wrote:

And you can't fake eating a live octopus! :shock:
  • afx237vi
    seanoconn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Davdandy wrote:
    goonz wrote:

I can't see that bit being included in the upcoming American remake, somehow.
  • seanoconn
    afx237vi wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Davdandy wrote:
    goonz wrote:

m

I can't see that bit being included in the upcoming American remake, somehow.

My heart sank for a sec but after a quick google I see Josh Brolin is up for the lead, could be decent.
  • goonz
    Remake of oldboy?????

Hell no!

Especially after what they did with Infernal affairs!
  • verylonglegs
    Well managed to get hold of 12 Angry men, will try and watch over this weekend although I am supposed to be revising.

Heat seems to be polarising opinion a bit across the film threads that are currently running. My own opinion is that whilst it's not a bad film it isn't even Micheal Manns best work, let alone a top 5.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Well managed to get hold of 12 Angry men, will try and watch over this weekend although I am supposed to be revising.

Heat seems to be polarising opinion a bit across the film threads that are currently running. My own opinion is that whilst it's not a bad film it isn't even Micheal Manns best work, let alone a top 5.

Not wishing to interrupt your revision but what film do you think is Micheal Manns best film?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    IIRC IMDBs scoring system is fairly complicated, but I remember a few months after Inception was released, it stormed to the #1 spot of IMDBs Top 250, so they must include the reactionary opinions of the public in there somewhere! That film was massively overrated at the time. Admittedly I'm a bit bias, because I'm not one for modern action films where the plot is an afterthought to the special effects and Hollywood cliches. At least Inception tried to be a bit clever, but it fails in so many respects compared to other films of that genre, for example Primer (2004) which is my all time favourite film!!!
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    A bit of inspiration. Believe most of the films are from the 250 top. Amazing soundtrack and good editing. There should be a vol.2 as well somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzGT3bwgH9g
  • verylonglegs
    team47b wrote:

Not wishing to interrupt your revision but what film do you think is Micheal Manns best film?

I'd say Collateral probably despite being someone who is not usually entralled by the prospect of watching Tom Cruise. I also have Miami Vice and Public enemies on dvd too but have never been inclined to get a copy of Heat.
  • seanoconn
    team47b wrote:

I'd say Collateral probably despite being someone who is not usually entralled by the prospect of watching Tom Cruise. I also have Miami Vice and Public enemies on dvd too but have never been inclined to get a copy of Heat.
    I think you'll find it's Manhunter :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    afx237vi wrote:
    Ah, Goodfellas. There's one I don't get. Two and a half hours of incredibly annoying people shrieking at each other. Lorraine Bracco was surely the inspiration for Bianca from Eastenders.

tumblr_ltiy5hzTC01r5qrimo1_500.gif
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    *** Spoiler alert for those not seen Goodfellas or the Godfather Trilogy ***

Goodfellas -
    .....and all I saw was a bunch of nasty unlikeable characters who I was happy to see get killed off and ended up not really caring for it as a film. Unless that was the point in Goodfellas and I missed it?
    It is about how easy it is to be seduced into that lifestyle, followed by the pitfalls and comeuppance.
    Empathy for the characters is supposed to be lost.

Godfather Trilogy - By the time the third one is finished there is a similar conclusion - You can't get out.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    team47b wrote:

Thanks for that VLL, I will watch Collateral, I actually thought Heat was an interesting film, the similarities of good guy/bad guy was well observed, so looking forward to seeing Collateral.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    ^ Manhunter is IMO Mann's best movie. It's superb.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    My count comes up as 151.

There's a lot in the list I wouldn't want to see. I've little interest in the Godfather stuff, and I don't like films which are just violence for the sake of it.

The older I get, the better I was.

• seanoconn
    And forerunner to Silence of the lambs and the C.S.I series.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    seanoconn wrote:
    And forerunner to Silence of the lambs and the C.S.I series.

Yip. Well worth watching before starting that new Hannibal series which I also like a lot. It’s very fuxked up…in a good way.

Mann's previous film 'The Keep' is also his worst. Fantastic soundtrack by Tangerine Dream and some of the scenes in it look superb – but it’s a shocker!!!
  • seanoconn
    Not one Gene Hackman film in the top 250!? :( Unforgiven? The French Connection?
  • goonz
    team47b wrote:

Miami Vice over Heat?

And there is the evidence you clearly know nothing about movies and should not be taken seriously! :P