The Highest Rated IMDB Top 250 Film...

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    The fact that Blade Runner is at # 123 and Shawshank Redemption is at # 1 proves that this list is total gash.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    The fact that Blade Runner is at # 123 and Shawshank Redemption is at # 1 proves that this list is total gash.

Isn't the list basically compiled by users ratings? So there are a lot of people out there who rate Shawshank higher than Blade Runner.

Not my opinion, but then I'm not sure what my favourite movie is, too many to choose from.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • thegreatdivide
    goonz wrote:

Isn't the list basically compiled by users ratings? So there are a lot of people out there who rate Shawshank higher than Blade Runner.

Not my opinion, but then I'm not sure what my favourite movie is, too many to choose from.

Totally. It's compiled by the ratings of idiots.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    goonz wrote:

Count me as being amongst the idiots then. I thoroughly enjoyed Shawshank but watched about 15-20 mins of Bladerunner before going off to cut the grass or wash the car or something. Couldn't get into it at all.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Shawshank Redemption is an OK film, but twice as long as it needs to be. Best film ever? No way.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • goonz
    Ballysmate wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Count me as being amongst the idiots then. I thoroughly enjoyed Shawshank but watched about 15-20 mins of Bladerunner before going off to cut the grass or wash the car or something. Couldn't get into it at all.

I actually did the same the first time I sat down to watch it. First 15 mins and I turned it off, I then had another attempt at it and it definitely gets better. Stick with it.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Count me as being amongst the idiots then.

OK :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    Blade runner's a brilliant looking film with bags of atmosphere but leaves me a little cold also. And Sean Young was wooden even for a robot.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • goonz
    They sure don't make movies like they used to.

I'm a massive fan of the older movies 70's to 90's and some from the noughties but the recent years are mainly super hero movies or nothing seems to be worth watching apart form the odd few.

Whats all that about?
  • ballysmate
    goonz wrote:
    They sure don't make movies like they used to.

I'm a massive fan of the older movies 70's to 90's and some from the noughties but the recent years are mainly super hero movies or nothing seems to be worth watching apart form the odd few.

Whats all that about?

God, (or Allah, other Deities are available) that makes me feel old, when films from the 70s are now regarded as 'Old movies' :(
  • goonz
    Ballysmate wrote:
    God, (or Allah,other Deities are available) that makes me feel old, when films from the 70s are now regarded as 'Old movies' :(

No need for that... ;)

A movie made 30 years ago surely has to be classed as old right?
  • thegreatdivide
    Blade Runner was placed in the National Film Registry as being a film of cultural, historic and aesthetical significance. Along with Scott’s Alien they were game changers and shaped the way sci-fi looked from then on. The Shawshank Redemption got folk a bit teary and subsequently didn’t get entered. It’s basically Lassie in prison.
  • ballysmate
    goonz wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    God, (or Allah,other Deities are available) that makes me feel old, when films from the 70s are now regarded as 'Old movies' :(

No need for that... ;)

A movie made 30 years ago surely has to be classed as old right?

Just showing that I can multitask, able to blaspheme contrary to more than one religion at a time. :lol:
  • SickAsAParrot
    SickAsAParrot Posts: 212
    I've never seen (10) Fight Club, I keep meaning to watch it but it's never happened for one reason or another.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    No Ealing comedies - no Segal - no F*cking Godard :D 8) :evil: :idea: :arrow: :twisted: :lol::) :x :roll: :|:mrgreen::wink: :P :o :oops: :!: :?: :cry: :? :shock:

No police squad :roll:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I've never heard of 12 Angry Men ! And other than Henry Fonda, I don't know any of the other actors. Have I led a sheltered life, as I've never heard of the 7th highest rated film of all time?!

One of my faves is Forest Gump. No room in there for Glengarry Genross!
    No Ealing comedies

I'm on holiday today and Lavendar Hill Mob has just started on More4. I've only just turned over but is it worth watching?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    jawooga wrote:
    I've never heard of 12 Angry Men ! And other than Henry Fonda, I don't know any of the other actors. Have I led a sheltered life, as I've never heard of the 7th highest rated film of all time?!

One of my faves is Forest Gump. No room in there for Glengarry Genross!
    No Ealing comedies

I'm on holiday today and Lavendar Hill Mob has just started on More4. I've only just turned over but is it worth watching?

Yes - as a rule of thumb any film where alec guinness doesnt say 'use the force' is watchable :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • seanoconn
    Tunes of Glory. An unsung classic :D
  • goonz
    seanoconn wrote:
    Tunes of Glory. An unsung classic :D

Blades of Glory - A frighteningly sharp witted movie.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Ballysmate wrote:
    If for instance they remade 'The Dambusters' where the special effects on the original were awful, would the new version convey the stories of those involved or would it just be a cgifest.
    There was a modern remake in development at one point, script by Stephen Fry, directed by Peter Jackson, but I think it must be on hold at the moment as I can't find any recent reference to it online.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    jawooga wrote:

Henry Fonda is like the 12th best actor in 12 Angry Men :lol:

Being #1 on the IMDB 250 is a self fulfilling prophecy, innit. People know Shawshank is #1 so most people give it a high score because they know it's meant to be "great" and don't want to stick out from the crowd. If you took a bunch of people who have been stranded on a desert island and had never heard of IMDB and asked them to make a list of the greatest films, you'd get a totally different list.
  • seanoconn
    afx237vi wrote:
    jawooga wrote:

Henry Fonda is like the 12th best actor in 12 Angry Men :lol:

Being #1 on the IMDB 250 is a self fulfilling prophecy, innit. People know Shawshank is #1 so most people give it a high score because they know it's meant to be "great" and don't want to stick out from the crowd. If you took a bunch of people who have been stranded on a desert island and had never heard of IMDB and asked them to make a list of the greatest films, you'd get a totally different list.
    Empires Top 500 has Shawshank at No 4 and Godfather at No 1. Although not necessarily No 1, Shawshank is a great film and would be in the top ten of most lists.

http://www.empireonline.com/500/1.asp
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I like Shawshank, but the first time I watched it I expected it to be half an hour shorter than it was. It didn't end when I expected then dragged on a bit with the conclusion of Red's story (trying to avoid spoiling - if necessary!)

I always think of Shawshank Redemption and going up for parole, when I apply for internal promotions at work. It's going to be the point at which I'm a broken man and have given up, when parole is granted. :D
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    Rolf F wrote:
    I recently started picking films from that list as an easy way of finding new stuff to watch. I still have never seen any of the Godfather fims however and not sure I really want to...am I really missing something that special?

I've only seen the first - massively over-rated IMO. Over long. The only potentially nice person in the film is Pacinos characters missus and she gets blown up before she's hardly said anything! The rest of them, Pacinos supposed 'hero' character included, are all irredeemably nasty and I can't be bothered to sit through a very long gangster film when there is no one in it who I wouldn't be happy to see blown away! :lol: Bit of a fatal flaw really. Cinematography is terrific though.

The trilogy of films is based on Mario Puzo's (I think) written work - and is based around Pacino's character trying to legitimize the "family business" and try to attain catharsis for himself as time goes by . . . he gets nicer!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • goonz
    As soon as Man of Steel is released it will be in my top 10.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Not sure I could even pick a number 1 film of all time but I would certainly place Shawshank "up there" somewhere.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:If for instance they remade 'The Dambusters' where the special effects on the original were awful, would the new version convey the stories of those involved or would it just be a cgifest.

There was a modern remake in development at one point, script by Stephen Fry, directed by Peter Jackson, but I think it must be on hold at the moment as I can't find any recent reference to it online.

I read around a year or 18 mths ago that the script was derailed due to arguments about how to handle the matter of the Wing Commanders dog.

Watched the Dambusters last week, fantastic film. Great long tracking shot of the airmen waiting for the start of the mission. Great final scene between the two architects of the mission and a good "stiff upper lip" final line.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I forgot to disclaimer the list, it is controversial amongst the buffs.

Those that have not seen 12 Angry Men, be good to yourself and watch it, it is superb.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    goonz wrote:
    Glad to see Oldboy on that list. If you haven't seen it, Watch it!

Me too,one of if not the best film of the last fifteen years.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Davdandy wrote:
    goonz wrote:
    Glad to see Oldboy on that list. If you haven't seen it, Watch it!

Me too,one of if not the best film of the last fifteen years.

+another one. It's an excellent film.

Also just watched Project X (the film about the Facebook party that went out of control). Seriously funny!