Putting on weight :(

13»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I know that, don't worry!

Back to the previous point though, there are some superb examples on Weight Weenies of 100kg people riding 1000g MTB wheels and what not. So much money spent by the folk there and many of them certainly are overweight!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not disputing that, and while I post on WW, I certainly don't spend a fortune (and it's not necessary to), my wheels for example only cost me a total of £75 for 1700g wheelset.

Some people enjoy the weight weenieing as an end to itself rather than as a bike to ride, I could declare a lower weight using some non-shimano skewers I've got laying around and tyres I'm not riding on, but to me that's not the right way to do it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd say a significant proportion do it purely for the satisfaction, not an issue per se. I used to know a guy who had a 12lb road bike, he couldn't actually ride it without changing the pedals, saddle, seatpost and stem, as he was significantly over the weight limit. Seemed utterly pointless to me, but each to their own! It cost him an insane amount too.
  • The Rookie
    Well yes, they are doing something they enjoy, it doesn't hurt anyone and their castoffs are unused and still pretty lightweight!

I certainly wouldn't be buying something I couldn't/wouldn't use!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just a different hobby isn't it. Some folks prefer polishing cars to driving cars, no different.

Well anyway, I unexpectedly added a bit more weight- used it for the Glentress Seven today and managed to pop the front tyre right off the rim! Ran the last descent and did a quick swap to the only inner tube I had in the car, which was a downhill tube the size and weight of a brick. On the plus side it didn't puncture again :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    Good analogy!

Oof...extra 300g?
  • Grovsie29
    Grovsie29 Posts: 116
    Your moaning about a 20lbs bike, lol mine is well over 30. man up you pussy.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Hey, I have heavy bikes too you know!
    Uncompromising extremist