Putting on weight :(

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    He removed his bone structure and replaced with nylon and alu bolts.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bottle cage bolts are steel as it doesn't usually wear a cage, no point spending money on something that gets fitted a couple of times a year

Take em out then! Bit of electrical tape if you're worried about water getting in (I've got two sets of unused internal guides as open holes and never had a problem).
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Northwind wrote:
    Why spend money trying to reduce small weights, when it's easier to do something about the 80% to 90%. (your body weight).

I weigh 9 stone! If I lose any more weight I'll go 2D.
    OK, 9st is quite lightweight, my generalisation should not include you.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    njee20 wrote:
    Take em out then! Bit of electrical tape if you're worried about water getting in (I've got two sets of unused internal guides as open holes and never had a problem).

Ah, sorry, what I meant was it currently has a cage fitted which it doesn't usually, and the bolts are steel. But usually it has no cage and no bolts (I fill the holes with nylon grub screws just for neatness, they don't weigh enough to register on my official weightweenying scales)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    Aah I see, well I can guarantee that alu bolts are tough enough for a bottle cage, never had a problem in many years use.
  • Northwind
    Nice one, cheers!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • giantAstax
    giantAstax Posts: 55
    cooldad wrote:
    To a large degree, losing body weight is a bit of a fallacy. You carry your weight all day, the bike is in addition, and is being manipulated. A lighter bike is easier to ride and maneuver.
    Lose 10kg in body weight and add it to your bike and I guarantee it will feel horrible.

How do you work that out? Why if that's the case do pro riders obsess about their weight and guys like wiggo run a tightrope between carrying a few extra kilos for more power vs less weight which is better for the steeper climbs but robs him of some power?

Having lost 10 kilos myself I can tell you makes a massive difference especially on climbs. No matter how light your bike, a lardy arse will cause more issues every time.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    giantAstax wrote:

Why if that's the case do pro riders obsess about their weight and guys like wiggo run a tightrope between carrying a few extra kilos for more power vs less weight which is better for the steeper climbs but robs him of some power?
    Because he's not allowed to make his bike any lighter, so the marginal gains have to come from somewhere else?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Plus they are pro and it is gay road riding.

The point cd is making is it would be a damn sight easier if I was 10kgs heavier than normal than the bike being 10 more.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Tyres are overrated. And which real man needs a saddle?

One with balls?
  • thelonegroover
    Most weight weener members on here, seem to obsess with reducing the bike weight, when hardly any seem to try reducing their own weight. That’s the impression I get from members posts.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Once you get to racing snake status, you can't go any further......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Most weight weener members on here, seem to obsess with reducing the bike weight, when hardly any seem to try reducing their own weight. That’s the impression I get from members posts.

Like who?

Northwind's said he weighs 9 stone, I've no idea about the Beginner, but I get the impression he's no porker. I'm carrying a bit more than I want at the moment, and trying to reduce it, still only 11 stone though currently. Plenty of people who throw thousands at their bike do then turn out to weigh 16 stone plus, but most on here seem more reasonable!
  • Northwind
    Also you can't reduce your own weight with a wave of the credit card and a change of parts. Well, I could get the steel in my hip replaced with ti, there's an idea, got to be a few grams in there.

Don't really understand this attitude tbh, you get it often. "My bike is too slow going up hills, it has dualply supertackies on it, what tyres are faster?" "LOL get fitter noob". I've never seen anyone post "Should I fit a lighter saddle, or should I have one less pie?"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    A nice bike is more pleasant to ride too. Yes I could lose another 5kg and ride an Apollo, but it'd be horrible! Combined weight would still be the same!
  • The Rookie
    Northwind wrote:
    Also you can't reduce your own weight with a wave of the credit card and a change of parts.
    Heck I can't really afford to do it with a wave of the CC either.

For info 12stone dead and about 5'9.5"at 46 that's not too shabby. I'm not stick thin, but I a long way from overweight for my build (at 18 I was 11st 6lbs when I had my forces medical and literaly no fat, double skin thickness of 4.5mm)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    njee20 wrote:

Like who?

Northwind's said he weighs 9 stone, I've no idea about the Beginner, but I get the impression he's no porker. I'm carrying a bit more than I want at the moment, and trying to reduce it, still only 11 stone though currently. Plenty of people who throw thousands at their bike do then turn out to weigh 16 stone plus, but most on here seem more reasonable!

No one in particular, it's just an impresion I got. Lots of post about reducing bike weight, but not many about body weight. I'm currently about 11st and 5ft 10in, (probably faily avarage) but could always do with loosing a couple of pounds myself. I'd try that before resorting to Ti or aly bolts etc.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • njee20
    11st and 5ft 10in, (probably faily avarage)

Way below average, but about the 'healthy' BMI, if you place any credence in that.

I've got heavier friends who are far better riders than me, rider weight isn't the be all and end all, just as bike weight isn't.

Plus as said, making your bike lighter is fun, making yourself lighter isn't.
  • The Rookie
    I'd try that before resorting to Ti or aly bolts etc.
    There is a misconception that saving weight is about spending shedloads on various expensive bits, at the top end of the scale (or is that the bottom end?) it is, at the other end it can be as much about careful selection of components, for example some of the lightest front mechs are humble Deore, an M510 is about 136g, lighter than many XT (circa 145-150g) and much lighter than SRAMs equivalent X5 which is 179g (mine was 176g), a used M510 can be had for less than a fiver. At one point I was using a Deore double specific which was 124g.

I can't afford (or at least justify affording) expensive kit, so I have to be inventive to save weight, hence why my 10.5Kg Carrera stands me at just over £500.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Not wanting to sound to general but I have noticed that the most weight obsessed owners are often the heaviest, I decided to not go silly with my bikes at least without losing weight myself as well, it has made a difference in my riding I'm 10st8 and I feel my bikes are reasonable weights now with the HT at 10.8kg and the FS at 11.4kg I doubt I would notice losing any more weight on them.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    How about a rule? You should lose weight off your body before your bike if your weight in stones is greater than your bikes weight in kilos?

Say your bike is 13kg and you're 14 stone, you should lose a stone in body weight first before your bike! Or if your bike is 12kg but you're only 11 stone then it's ok to lose a kilo off your bikes weight before you have to lose weight off your body!

Completely stupid, i know!
  • The Rookie
    So if my road bike is just over the UCI lower limit at 6.9Kg I have to lose weight to less than 7 stone before taking that last 100g off?

Yes completely stupid!

And no I don't actually have a road bike!
  • bennett_346
    Doesn't apply to road bikes; its an mtb forum.

It works as a general rule to stop fattys from thinking that saving 100g off their bike is the best course of action.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    UCI limit is for MTBs too...
  • bennett_346
    Was only a joke rule ;)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Foam grips and light tubes are good for knocking weight off cheaply. £20 and you can save 300g easy.
  • njee20
    I'd have to lose two stone before I could legitimately ride my MTB, even Northwind's marginal!
  • bennett_346
    Lose two stone then, you'll get much more benefit than spending another £300 on lightweight bearings and bolts ;)
  • The Rookie
    So losing 2 stone from someone whi is already under their best weight for physical performance will improve rider and bike performance?
  • bennett_346
    Lighten up bud none of that was serious posting....