Putting on weight :(

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Just converted my Soda to race trim and it's sneaked above 20lbs :cry: Bring forth the titanium bolt catalogue!
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Start drilling some holes! :wink:
  • Northwind
    I was thinking of removing the brake pads and just using the pistons.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Remove the brakes and use your feet to slow down.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tyres are overrated. And which real man needs a saddle?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm sure there must be a cheaper way than Ti bolts......cost/benefit is terrible!

Cheapest weight savings come from being anal-ytical! (swapping to a rear IS caliper for my Shimano brakes saved me 34g in adaptor and bolts!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,083
    I'm sure there must be a cheaper way than Ti bolts......cost/benefit is terrible!

Cheapest weight savings come from being anal-ytical! (swapping to a rear IS caliper for my Shimano brakes saved me 34g in adaptor and bolts!)

valid point but remember the man maths formula - ie, shinny/expensive = vital
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Alu bolts in a few places. Half the weight of ti and 1/4 the price.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    one word

unicycle

failing that, just jog round making clicky noises on the downhill bits. Bike weight drops to 0 lbs. Imagine how much faster you'll go ;)
  • Northwind

Well... It could lose the dropper post ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    The bike is probably 10% to 20% of your total weight. Why spend money trying to reduce small weights, when it's easier to do something about the 80% to 90%. (your body weight). Don't know about you but I always seem to have some water left at the end of a ride. You can save 250 - 300g just by not filling your bottle to the top.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • njee20
    That's half filling your bottle, which may not be the best idea on a long ride. 250ml isn't that much!
  • cooldad
    To a large degree, losing body weight is a bit of a fallacy. You carry your weight all day, the bike is in addition, and is being manipulated. A lighter bike is easier to ride and maneuver.
    Lose 10kg in body weight and add it to your bike and I guarantee it will feel horrible.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, my commuter is lighter than the MTB, but once I add rack, panniers and contents (about 6Kg) it feels horrid, I carry about 1.5Kg in a backpack on my MTB (Bag, tools, spare tubes water etc) and don't even notice it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Why spend money trying to reduce small weights, when it's easier to do something about the 80% to 90%. (your body weight).

I weigh 9 stone! If I lose any more weight I'll go 2D.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    Northwind wrote:
    Why spend money trying to reduce small weights, when it's easier to do something about the 80% to 90%. (your body weight).

:shock:

How? Don't you live in land of the fried stuff?
  • Northwind
    Some of us actually ride our bikes ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    oh yeah i forgot some people here do that.
  • Northwind
    njee20 wrote:
    Alu bolts in a few places. Half the weight of ti and 1/4 the price.

Momentary serious thread- it's got alu bolts on the controls as standard (Formula R1s), where else would you consider safe? Don't really fancy it on most of the stressed components. Not something I've ever messed with really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    Shifter and brake clamp bolts, remotes (forks, shock, dropper), chainrings (assuming you have steel which you probably don't), trailing (not leading) caliper bolt (PM not IS!) as it takes no tensile load and minimal shear load, also bottle cage bolts (or use Nylon if no cage!).
  • njee20
    Everything in mechs/chain guide too and headset top cap. I run alu rotor bolts on my race wheels, Ashima jobs, the heads are a little soft, but they're still holding my rotors on, to my slight surprise.
  • Northwind
    This isn't an outright race bike (I don't do that much racing and I'm not that good at it!) so some of that sounds a bit too far... Already got alu outer chainring bolts (snapped the inner ones so went over to cheapo ti), topcap, levers but think I'll leave the brakes alone.

I'd thought it'd be a bit dicey for the bottle cage, might have to give that a go

Cheers!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    It may sound anal (OK it does sound it) but I keep an excel spreadsheet with every single component I have on the bike weighed, so if I come across anything that may be lighter, on the scales it goes, and if it is, it goes one (as long as it's functionally good!). It's easy to do yet very helpful, OK a different brake adaptor may only save 2g, but if I have it and it's lighter I may as well fit it! (As it is I now run no adaptors as I have direct mount IS at the rear and PM at the front.
  • cooldad
    It doesn't sound anal at all. It is anal.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    It may sound anal (OK it does sound it) but I keep an excel spreadsheet with every single component I have on the bike weighed, so if I come across anything that may be lighter, on the scales it goes, and if it is, it goes one (as long as it's functionally good!). It's easy to do yet very helpful, OK a different brake adaptor may only save 2g, but if I have it and it's lighter I may as well fit it! (As it is I now run no adaptors as I have direct mount IS at the rear and PM at the front.
    Why not just get a bike not from halfords to start with?
  • njee20
    Definitely not dicey in bottle cage, you can use nylon too, they're really light. In fact I used a nylon bolt in my headset too, from a Joystick helmet mount.
  • Northwind
    I think the headset bolt is ergal- specialized epic topcap, weighs nowt. Bottle cage bolts are steel as it doesn't usually wear a cage, no point spending money on something that gets fitted a couple of times a year, but will keep that in mind (I'd thought the weight of the bottle would overload it if it gets knocked about)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Drink loads before you go out, and connect a camelbak hose to your obvious.
    No bottle or cage required and Ghandi used to drink it I believe, and he got old so it can't kill you.
    Although personally I'm not fussed enough about weight to actually try it out.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Yeah, but Madonna drinks hers, and look how that turned out!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Maybe there's something in it. She's more of a man than you are.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Northwind wrote:

Jesus ! How tall are you ?

Last time i was 9 stone i think i was 17