Abit of a cycleing debate....

Comments

• KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I have a fairly decent job yes, and work damned hard to get the money I do, you can't have a budget of under £300-£500, it's like one of my customers saying they have a budget of £3000-£5000, I can obviously do a whole lot more for the upper limit, I will agree under £300 is more difficult, but your words under £500, is simple

Just because it's in the beginners section, also doesn't mean we are all on an under £300-£500 budget
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    See the money spent as an investment in your health and general well-being. £150 will only get you something that you will regret buying. You are not being realistic it's 2013. Go secondhand - you can buy a fine bike for £350 but struggle at £150. Most sporting hobbies are expensive.
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    So the triban 3 being £300 spare tubes £5 jersey £20 pedels £15 shoes £20-£25 gloves £5 patch kit £2 helmet £15 wets£20+

with bjust these items mentioned = £400

how is that simple!!!!!!!!!!

I dont mean this to sound like im trying to but heads but most people seem to struggle with what BUDGET actually means! when i say budget i mean that my/your budget is from 0 not £300

Benefit Britain, everyone wants something for nothing.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Someone clearly cant hack a bit of a reality check it seems!! If you really think that everyone is going to jump on here and agree with you, then unfortunately 99.9% on here understand how life is in the real world - so it wont happen.
  • blueneedles
    blueneedles Posts: 74
    Someone clearly cant hack a bit of a reality check it seems!! If you really think that everyone is going to jump on here and agree with you, then unfortunately 99.9% on here understand how life is in the real world - so it wont happen.

Reality check are you on drugs? i wasnt asking for anything but freindly bantar or maybe help!

i live in the real world sonshine! im on the breadline something you clearly have never had to do in your life!!
    If you actualy spent abit of time in the real world i mean the s**t end of the stick you may get off that big horse your clearly on :lol:
  • blueneedles
    TheHound wrote:
    So the triban 3 being £300 spare tubes £5 jersey £20 pedels £15 shoes £20-£25 gloves £5 patch kit £2 helmet £15 wets£20+

with bjust these items mentioned = £400

how is that simple!!!!!!!!!!

I dont mean this to sound like im trying to but heads but most people seem to struggle with what BUDGET actually means! when i say budget i mean that my/your budget is from 0 not £300

Benefit Britain, everyone wants something for nothing.

what a retarded responce! again out of context and off topic such a freindly forum
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've just read through this thread and, wow, the OP certainly has a big chip on his shoulder. He asked about bikes on a budget, was given several decent responses and has responded with nothing but vitriol. And badly misspelled vitriol at that. And then to complain about this not being a friendly forum?
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    First post said it all really.

How you can complain cheaper stuff is too heavy I don't know.

I'll walk into a car dealership and ask if I can pay a grand for their top end model. The new Jag F-type looks nice.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • blueneedles
    no chip at all :)i was not going to bother responding to the majority but i thought id turn my stupid filter on to respond :)
    as for my spelling put it down to my benafit britain bringing up hahahahah
  • blueneedles
    TheHound wrote:
    First post said it all really.

How you can complain cheaper stuff is too heavy I don't know.

I'll walk into a car dealership and ask if I can pay a grand for their top end model. The new Jag F-type looks nice.

:roll:
    not all are but the main point was its hard to find like for example in a LBS.
    I like how people thought i was takeing this to an extream of i want a £1000 pound bike for £100
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    One of the coolest dudes on earth is Pete Doherty from the Libertines. He dresses like he fell into a jumble sale leftovers table.
    Likewise, there are ways to look OK on a bike without feeling the need to dress like a bell-end in matching colours to your bike that cost almost as much as the bike. At speed who can tell if you're wearing Lidl's finest shorts?
    Save slowly, spend wisely. I've been wearing my Aldi shoes since September. Next month I'll buy some nice shoes, but they'll be less than £75. You can pick up tops for 40 quid. If you commute by bike you might save 40 quid a month. Spend it on yourself one month, on your missus the next and whiskey the third. That way, 4 times a year you get a treat and your missus won't divorce you.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    You set a price and got a response, confused!

Have you tried other hobbies?

Like most niche hobbies you can spend a lot of money and like most the big manufacturers aren't going to cannibalise their markets producing miracle products at nothing prices.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    One of the coolest dudes on earth is Pete Doherty from the Libertines

Eh?

Oh, you're from Hinckley, I see...
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    edited May 2013
    fatsmoker wrote:
    One of the coolest dudes on earth is Pete Doherty from the Libertines. He dresses like he fell into a jumble sale leftovers table.

The OP is having difficulty being able to afford a low end bike and accessories, developing a crack and heroin habit is hardly going to improve his financial situation.
  • blueneedles
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Likewise, there are ways to look OK on a bike without feeling the need to dress like a bell-end in matching colours to your bike that cost almost as much as the bike. At speed who can tell if you're wearing Lidl's finest shorts?
    Save slowly, spend wisely. I've been wearing my Aldi shoes since September. Next month I'll buy some nice shoes, but they'll be less than £75. You can pick up tops for 40 quid. If you commute by bike you might save 40 quid a month. Spend it on yourself one month, on your missus the next and whiskey the third. That way, 4 times a year you get a treat and your missus won't divorce you.

defo i cant fault some of the cycle gear in aldi/lidl! ive got a few gersey's,compression tops and gloves and still not quite spent £40 :D its a shame aldi dont do sti shifters :wink:

i dont save much money on fuel as my wife uses the car for work to which i pay half, but i have a cycle fund i have for myself which is usualy a couple of quid a week if spare.
  • blueneedles
    iPete wrote:
    You set a price and got a response, confused!

Have you tried other hobbies?

Like most niche hobbies you can spend a lot of money and like most the big manufacturers aren't going to cannibalise their markets producing miracle products at nothing prices.

It wasnt to challenge you :) i thought the responces maybe more along the lines of i use this for a cost cutting messure etc the price i put down was just an example not a request
  • iPete
    Well I save over £400 per month by cycling, most kit is cheap in my eyes :D

Like most things, shop around, pick the right sales and it can be cheap. If you can make cycling part of your life style it becomes very cheap.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stuff is cheap. Things are cheap because manufacturing is cheaper elsewhere than here. Stuff would be a damn site more expensive if we were actually self sufficient and not always depending on the second world to supply our consumer goods. It won't last forever but until then, we'll get folk whining about how something that costs far less to make than it ever could over here is still too expensive.......

If your only problem is not being able to afford a brand new bike, then you haven't really got any problems.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • blueneedles
    iPete wrote:
    Well I save over £400 per month by cycling, most kit is cheap in my eyes :D

Like most things, shop around, pick the right sales and it can be cheap. If you can make cycling part of your life style it becomes very cheap.

WoW just WOW :shock: :D
  • iPete
    I just did the math, a bit surprised too!

Rail ticket £200 and not owning a car another £200 (after buying one, tax, insurance, petrol and that doesn't include MoT or service!)

Jeez, might get that new frame I wanted sooner eh :D
  • blueneedles
    Rolf F wrote:
    Stuff is cheap. Things are cheap because manufacturing is cheaper elsewhere than here. Stuff would be a damn site more expensive if we were actually self sufficient and not always depending on the second world to supply our consumer goods. It won't last forever but until then, we'll get folk whining about how something that costs far less to make than it ever could over here is still too expensive.......

If your only problem is not being able to afford a brand new bike, then you haven't really got any problems.

i have a retro frame its mainly components that baffle me

example
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13639

the sti levers is what im aiming for but as the shifters that go into the bar ends
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13649

seems like your spending more for less to me
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Is this just a wind-up thread?

Goes off on various irrational rants following several perfectly reasonable suggestions, and now takes two completely different products, and expresses surprise when the physically smaller one happens to be more expensive.

Gotta be a wind-up, surely?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • blueneedles

Goes off on various irrational rants following several perfectly reasonable suggestions, and now takes two completely different products, and expresses surprise when the physically smaller one happens to be more expensive.

no wind up i was just useing a bike as example but was going to get to componantry but didnt get the chance to before the lions were released! after trying to save by explaining to get back on topic comments persisted.

i only went along with the flow as a resonable member was due to come along and did! restored balence thread could commence and i could get to the points i was going to get to in the start :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do you know Bustacapp?
    Have you ever been seen in the same room as him?
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Sorry, but I thought cycling was just about as financially accessible as it gets. What other activity exists where you can buy all the kit for sub £500 (or less with a bit of patience and research) and be out on a race bred vehicle that potentially covers 100+miles in a day, gets you fit, loses you weight, you to get meet new people, experience the country you live in and possibly extend your life into the bargain.

I'd say that is approaching the dictionary definition of inexpensive.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476

no wind up i was just useing a bike as example but was going to get to componantry but didnt get the chance to before the lions were released! after trying to save by explaining to get back on topic comments persisted.

i only went along with the flow as a resonable member was due to come along and did! restored balence thread could commence and i could get to the points i was going to get to in the start :)

There you have it - its clearly everyone else's fault.
    Are you called Emma Way by any chance?? ;)
  • blueneedles
    Carbonator wrote:
    Do you know Bustacapp?

nope! what does this have to do with the price of bread?
    if its some sort of threat then shove off!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited May 2013
    Carbonator wrote:
    Do you know Bustacapp?

No, not a threat lol.

I wondered if you were one and the same person. Your views seem very similar.
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    Carbonator wrote:
    Do you know Bustacapp?

I'm guessing here, Bustacapp was a bit of a troll...
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • blueneedles

There you have it - its clearly everyone else's fault.
    Are you called Emma Way by any chance?? ;)

come on mate i played along with the childish rubbish earlyer, look i come on here to ask for advice etc instead of constantly dragging stuff on just dont bother posting!

ive tried to make posts in the past and get the same responces and baggering everytime but there usualy one decent person that helps thus the reason for me staying.

people seem to like the bully tactic i dont there for i respond!

No im not Emma? as you ask i am very much male