Cavendish - best sportsman in the world?

1235»

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,018
    Compared to the track cyclists all road cyclists are obviously better, suffer more etc. etc. I mean the track lot get to cycle inside out of the rain, get to do their natural breaks in an actual toilet with loo roll and never even have to turn right. :wink:

It's all a piece of pish compared to RAAM.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    It's all a piece of pish compared to RAAM.
    Now that is truly (to quote that annoying Money Supermarket advert) epic. Just staving off the boredom of the seemingly never-ending sameness of some of the scenery takes skill.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    deejay wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Cav races 300 metres and max a km..his team do the rest...
    I didn't know that OPQS picked up Cavendish from his car (you don't say where) and and set him on his way 300 metres from the Line.
    I always thought Cavendish rode the whole stage of 150/250 Km's and over the mountains within the time limits.
    Well there you go you learn something everyday. :!: :!:
    He's quite a missile though for 300 metres.

Oh..how witty. Use of sarcasm & attack the straw man fallacy you construct from my comments. GC wins at the grand tours and the 3 biggest one day races are worth 20 stages of team assisted , almost phoned in, wins. Anyone who appreciates the valor and toughness of the GC men fighting for the grand tour GC podiums know this sprinting business is a side show and always will be to the main purpose of the event! I suppose you have not missed out the main purpose of a grand tour which puts all the the other side show aspects into the shade.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Dave_1 wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Cav races 300 metres and max a km..his team do the rest...
    I didn't know that OPQS picked up Cavendish from his car (you don't say where) and and set him on his way 300 metres from the Line.
    I always thought Cavendish rode the whole stage of 150/250 Km's and over the mountains within the time limits.
    Well there you go you learn something everyday. :!: :!:
    He's quite a missile though for 300 metres.

Oh..how witty. Use of sarcasm & attack the straw man fallacy you construct from my comments. GC wins at the grand tours and the 3 biggest one day races are worth 20 stages of team assisted , almost phoned in, wins. Anyone who appreciates the valor and toughness of the GC men fighting for the grand tour GC podiums know this sprinting business is a side show and always will be to the main purpose of the event! I suppose you have not missed out the main purpose of a grand tour which puts all the the other side show aspects into the shade.

I appreciate the valor and toughness of every rider that can finish a GT. Also I would hate to watch a flat transition stage without the manic last 15k and the spectacle of the sprinters battling at 70kph for the win. Without this the peloton would just roll along for 250k so the GT contenders could save themselves for the next TT or summit finish.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Ah, I was unaware that GC contenders did it all on their own. Pretty amazing of them to get through the full 3 weeks of a GT without relying on a team like those lazy sprinters do... I also hate how the points competitions consistently overshadow the GC battles, it's all the commentators can talk about on the mountain stages sometimes.

:roll:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I know I'm relatively new on here but have all his other 9k odd posts been as ridiculous?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    adr82 wrote:
    Ah, I was unaware that GC contenders did it all on their own. Pretty amazing of them to get through the full 3 weeks of a GT without relying on a team like those lazy sprinters do... I also hate how the points competitions consistently overshadow the GC battles, it's all the commentators can talk about on the mountain stages sometimes.

Ahh, no. They do have team mates to get water bottles. Like this from last year's TdF...

cav-bottles.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I think you will find that whatever you say about Cavendish he is an undisputed heavyweight and his name is being carved in the legends.

972274_10151416558468247_1497875237_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Think that girl is more interested in her bag of Pastefrolle.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    adr82 wrote:

Ahh, no. They do have team mates to get water bottles. Like this from last year's TdF...

cav-bottles.jpg

^this is actually the real reason Gilbert wants to ride the Tour. Anything Cav can do in the jersey....
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Modern frames are so ugly.The UCI needs to get back to basics and ban plank-wide "tubes".
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    adr82 wrote:

cav-bottles.jpg
    Or this: Mark+Cavendish+Le+Tour+de+France+2012+Stage+c_eHn61AOuAx.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    Cavendish fans: right click, save

tdf11st21-win.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    What do we think his chances are of winning the green jersey again this year?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    He is not riding for Sky so pretty high.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957

Reckon Sagan set the template for the next few years of Green Jersey last year.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Better than last year. He won 3 last year and crashed on 2 stages which were made for him IIRC so he has every chance.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Dave_1 wrote:
    How is a sprint in any way a "phoned in win" when there are numerous sprinters all going for the same prize?

The GC is quite rightly the main event but good grief it would so often be dull on its own. This year's Giro and last year's Tour for example were incredibly dull from a GC perspective. Winning stages is as much part of a GT as GC contention.

As for use of the word "valor". I'll save that one for soldiers, not cyclists.

Going back to the OP - no I don't think Cav is the best sportsman in the world. He's a peerless road sprinter though, and one of the all time greats.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,187
    Daz555 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    How is a sprint in any way a "phoned in win" when there are numerous sprinters all going for the same prize?
    If I thought Dave_1 was a smart man then I say it was a clever reference to the HTC team.

But I don't, so it isn't.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Daz555 wrote:
    As for use of the word "valor". I'll save that one for americans
    FTFY. Though I may be showing unnecessary valour being so pedantic.
  • Daz555
    bompington wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    As for use of the word "valor". I'll save that one for americans
    FTFY. Though I may be showing unnecessary valour being so pedantic.
    :D:mrgreen: