X-box One vs PS4

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm going to PC Game a lot more.
    I would like this too. However PC sales are so depressingly low I don't think it has much in the long term. We'll see.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Daz555 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I would like this too. However PC sales are so depressingly low I don't think it has much in the long term. We'll see.
    I think this is a genuine misconception.

There is a growing online gaming market (MMO) and games like Sims, Sim City, Football manager, strategy and simulation games will always be released on the PC. Also most game demos and adverts, where possible, use moving images/stills from PCs because the graphics are far more impressive.

People are building, rebuilding PCs for the Elder Scrolls Online and they haven't even released the specifications.

PC gaming is still there and quite lucrative.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Thankfully there are plenty of PCs still sold. That they are in decline however, is sadly in no doubt.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • DonDaddyD
    Daz555 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Thankfully there are plenty of PCs still sold. That they are in decline however, is sadly in no doubt.
    True, but I would say PC gaming, online gaming (MMO, MMORPG) specifically is on the up.

Perhaps, overall PC sales are on decline - a fact, you're right.

However, maybe of the existing PC sales, people are buying gaming machines. PC gaming has been making leaps and bounds and there must be a profitable market to continually develop hardware or Intell and AMD would slow the development and release of its products. Intel is about to release its Haswell processors and a new generation of GPUs... so is AMD. There has got to be a market for it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    edited June 2013
    10 June, the date.
    Los Angeles, the location.
    E3, the ring.
    Microsoft and Sony, the combatants.

1st ROUND KNOCKOUT and Sony reigns supreme!

Microsoft with its Xbox One floundered as it revealed less titles and less exclusive games than it said it had. Of the games it did show many failed to impress. The price was insulting $499 in America/Euro and £429 in England.

Sony came out swinging: Games, games, games, support for indie developers, no DRM, no ban on used games, you can share games with your friends, doesn't have to be online to play offline games (or check in with a server every 24hrs) and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vfjdaU3lkA

If it was mortal combat that would have been a 32hit combo, on London's Embankment Sony would be shouting scalp! It's like they had EPO in their veins and a unbroken desire to defeat a man name Lance.

The cost of a PS4? $399 in the US and Euro £349 in the UK, which is amazing because:

The PS4 is said to have better hardware than the Xbox One and doesn't come with all the restrictions the Xbox has (seriously this is the Xbox One's usage policy its like they don't want to sell the console).

Two conclusions:

(i) Microsoft have been resoundingly humiliated - expect people to step aside and P45s to be handed out.

(ii) We'll be buying a PS4 for ourselves and children for the next few Xmas and Birthdays.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    don - not disagreeing with you about the XBox but I can't see where you're getting that comment about only being able to lend discs once

I can see:
    Share access to your games with everyone inside your home:
    Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere:
    Trade-in and resell your disc-based games:
    Give your games to friends:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The only sad thing about the PS4 is that you'll need PS+ to play online. But yeah, Sony won this one.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Micro$oft have totally ar$ed this. More expensive, console has to connect to the internet once every 24 hours. As well as the uncertainty around 2nd hand games etc.

I was already veering towards the PS4, decision now made...
  • DonDaddyD
    don - not disagreeing with you about the XBox but I can't see where you're getting that comment about only being able to lend discs once

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license
    Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.
    suzyb wrote:
    The only sad thing about the PS4 is that you'll need PS+ to play online. But yeah, Sony won this one.
    PS+ also offers discount and allows you to download games for free, relatively new games.

ALSO I just found out that the PS4 is region free for games, which means I can finally get my hands on those Japanese RPG games that never make it over here! YAY!
    Food Chain number = 4

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I read to today that x-box will retail at about £450 as well
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Micro$oft have totally ar$ed this. More expensive, console has to connect to the internet once every 24 hours. As well as the uncertainty around 2nd hand games etc.

I was already veering towards the PS4, decision now made...

+1
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • patman666
    patman666 Posts: 6
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I've just had a read of this as the boy wants a new console or something. He wants an Xbox 360 as we currently have an older Xbox. I've told him there is a new one coming out but he thinks he still wants a 360 because of this business about used games and such like.
    However, I have thrown a spanner in the works by suggesting going the PC route. We need a new family PC which will be used by both kids for homework and be the Mrs and me for general stuff.
    He would be happy with either. He does play some games, Minecraft, on the PC already. Would it make more sense to go the PC route? If so what should we get?
    Apologies for what may be daft questions but I'm a bit out of my comfort zone with this stuff.

The only daft question would be the one not asked. I'm currently playing some fairly modern PC games on a machine I built myself for £800 in 2004. I've already got a PS3, and was playing skyrim on it a lot, until the loading times became such an issue, I decided to buy the game again, and restart on the PC.

And am constantly amazed at how quickly the PC version loads, and how much prettier it also looks, so I'll be sticking to PC gaming for the future.

And having helped out a few folks with speccing up and building their own PCs, I'd be happy to have a conversation with you, about specs, how to put stuff together, etc. If you want to PM, I'll happily share some knowledge with you.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • DonDaddyD
    Yep, I'm back from the front lines!

We won people, we won the Gamer's Rights war of 2013. A hard fought battle, many gamer tags were lost but ultimately the forces of dexterous thumbs won over the cash whoring greed of Microsoft and its secret two (Capcom and EA).

Microsoft have surrendered and we have accepted their terms:

"An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games
    Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today"

They've managed to take away family sharing - any member of your family can play you digitally downloaded games on their Xbox. We aren't sure why they've chosen to do that, but we'll let Microsoft throw one two out of the pram because we can get a similar feature on the PS4, which most people are going to buy anyway, and you can bet serious money that when Microsoft do rerelease that feature it will be packed full of the same DRM, advertising features they intended for the entire Xbox One.

The aftermath is that there is some infighting within the gaming community, and some gamers are blaming other gamers for the loss of the family sharing feature on the Xbox One (as if the alternative was better). There are also some (confirmed) disgruntled Microsoft employees popping up on the internet and whistleblowing. While other MS employees undr psuedo-names are trying to defend the console and this surrender by Microsoft (attempts to influence the online community).

Still, whatever the outcome Microsoft has seriously damaged the Xbox brand, reputation and consumers loyal to the brand. It has a long way to go and it still appears that the PS4 will outsell the Xbox One and receive greater investment in terms of development and games.

So that we never forget the story a dramatisation (this predates the War but is fitting):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v776jlfm ... ixyulzOnUQ

And some of the generals who led the charge:
    Angry Joe: Xbox One rant
    Angry Joe: Xbox One rant part 2
    Angry Joe/Major Nelson interview
    Angry Joe: Xbox One rant Epic win

Boogie2988
    Xbox One Press release
    Xbox One vs PS4
    Response to Don Mattrick - this is brilliant
    Consumer wins

There were others who should also be mentioned ScrewAttack, Total Biscuit and the thousands of gamers who didn't let Microsoft's shit pass by, they got on the forums, on social media, on the Microsoft website forums and comments pages and complained until the big ugly beast had to back down, and while Microsoft is in tatters (Win 8 is crap, Win Phone 8 is crap and they've managed to F-up the Xbox) the greater achievement is that this will serve as a lesson to publishers who keep trying to edge the industry towards this DRM/day one DLC bullshit in a thinly veild effort to strip the innocent gamer of money beyond what they paid for the f*cking game.

BOOM!
    Food Chain number = 4

• navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Which one runs OSX Mavericks?
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Micro$oft have totally ar$ed this.
    I'm not a gamer, but if I were looking to buy a console, fanboy terms like this would turn me off the PS4.

Is there anything as dull and annoying as using "Micro$oft", 'Linsux' or 'Crapple' in a sentence? Keep the Slashdot-isms and the geek-battles of the 1990s over here.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    jamesco wrote:
    Micro$oft have totally ar$ed this.
    I'm not a gamer, but if I were looking to buy a console, fanboy terms like this would turn me off the PS4.

Is there anything as dull and annoying as using "Micro$oft", 'Linsux' or 'Crapple' in a sentence? Keep the Slashdot-isms and the geek-battles of the 1990s over here.
    Last post was in 2006? :shock: :?
    Anyway, why bother when we can have Shimano v Campag or steel v carbon? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • michaeljnesbitt
    michaeljnesbitt Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    It's your choice as to what you wan't to choose. People will always bash on both consoles, especially new xbox one. I wouldn't listen to them, you yourself should decide to buy which console (ex. Looking over the statistics, features, ect) and find which is a better pick for you. I would wait until the holiday season (christmas time) to choose since players would have better opinions on the consoles then just bitching about each console when it hasn't even come out yet. Like I said, it's up to you to decide which is a better pick and worth the money.

Happy gaming!
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Microsoft Shill
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    rubertoe wrote:
    I read to today that x-box will retail at about £450 as well

For £450 I could pick up a GTX 780 or R9 290X, stuff it in my PC and forget about all this console nonsense and play on the one true gaming platform with a card that's more than capable of running a 4K screen at decent settings.

off to the PS3 to finish The Last of Us
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • the_fuggler
    Is anyone buying a launch machine? I did with the 360, but just can't rustle up the desire or cash for either the Xbox One or the PS4.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I'm struggling to understand the alleged significance of this. I can see that it matters to gamers, I can see that it's of some relevance to those with children of the gaming age, though if they don't play video games much it seems more of a cultural question than anything else, but I don't get the everyone else bit...

Why is it significant? Is it going to have more impact than DAB, for example? Or the ongoing battle between Sky and the BBC?

Cheers,
    W.
  • daviesee
    I'm struggling to understand the alleged significance of this. I can see that it matters to gamers, I can see that it's of some relevance to those with children of the gaming age, though if they don't play video games much it seems more of a cultural question than anything else, but I don't get the everyone else bit...

Why is it significant? Is it going to have more impact than DAB, for example? Or the ongoing battle between Sky and the BBC?

Cheers,
    W.
    No.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Cheers,
    W.
    In the states the average age of a gamer is 30yrs old. They've on average been playing for 12 years.

67% of us households play video games. 58% of all Americans play video games and 51% of households have a dedicated game console.

So it's a big deal from that perspective. (I'm using us numbers cos I can't find uk numbers)
  • daviesee
    74.1% of Americans are overweight.
    Correlation?
  • the_fuggler
    daviesee wrote:
    Correlation?

A factor, rather than a direct correlation I would think.

This latest generation of consoles is much more about the battle for the overall media landscape, as they do far more than just play games. So you could argue that this also about Microsoft vs Google vs BBC vs etc.

Why does it matter? It doesn't really, but if you have kids that game or game yourself, it's an interesting time as a new generation of console only comes round once every 7 to 10 years.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • daviesee
    daviesee wrote:
    Correlation?

A factor, rather than a direct correlation I would think.

This latest generation of consoles is much more about the battle for the overall media landscape, as they do far more than just play games. So you could argue that this also about Microsoft vs Google vs BBC vs etc.

Why does it matter? It doesn't really, but if you have kids that game or game yourself, it's an interesting time as a new generation of console only comes round once every 7 to 10 years.
    Important bit in red. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    It's a myth all gamers are children and the success of franchises with 18 certificates like gta shows the appeal is broader than that.
  • Veronese68 I would suggest getting a PC especially if a primary game is minecraft. It does so many other things too plus lockdownable for other erroneous access slightly easier.

As comicboy (ddd) has said it is very cheap n easy to create a quick and good gaming rig that can handle anything for the next few years.

To answer someone elses question about PC's being sold less - of course it is - more people are replacing the components inside (because they can) and not buying entire kits. That is the other bonus of them amongst more than a few more...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]