X-box One vs PS4

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
Techradar: Xbox One / PS4 - which is better?

If you're a gamer you will understand the significance that comes with the release of Microsoft's 8th Generation console.

If you're not a gamer, but a parent with children of the gaming age you'll understand the significance.

Everyone else, you should understand the significance.

The huge costs to develop the 7th generation consoles (Xbox 360 and PS3) meant that that generation lasted nearly 10 years. During this time technology moved on, the internet grew up, the target audience evolved and the computer game industry began losing money.

Emulators, the resurgent PC, MMO and Online gaming, mobile phone games, kickstarters (to name a few) have all emerged to seriously challenge the viability of owning a console - hell Angry Birds eats up more gaming time than some premium console games and costs a fraction of the price.

Game developers (EA, Capcom, Bioware, Blizzard) have become money focused and tactically aggressive with how they sell their products; day 1 DLC (this basically means you buy the game on the day of release, play it for the first time and find downloadable content available for purcahse - meaning they developed that content alongside the game but withheld it so that you can pay extra to own it), DLCs in general, Online Passes, DRM (digital rights management - games companies attempting to retain ownership of an individuals ingame content i.e. your save game data - implementation is usually that your save game is stored on the developers server and not your PC/console).

Game developers have also been demanding more from consoles in terms of hardware, ease of developing games across platforms and content ownership rights.

Then there is the whole integration of the console as a media device - Xbox, for example, offer netflix, Sky and movies via the Xbox. You have to pay for Xbox live to pay for these services (or in my case pay for these services - except sky - via my Smart TV because I already pay for an internet connection).

Basically, there is a fork in the road. Some developers want to do as much as possible to maximise profit at the expense of the demographic. Others want to be more purest and develop games for the enjoyment of gaming - if you think cyclists are kicking off about Emma Way, dip your toe onto a gaming website or watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

So here it is:

Play Station 4, I didn't really keep an eye on this. I'm an Xbox man. I knew it wasn't backwards compatibile and talk of Sony banning patenting the software that bans used games had me running scared. However, what it appears we have is a console that, while isn't backwards compatible - which is a rip off, has gaming at the heart of its design.

Xbox One, is arguably the greatest example of sticking an unwanted object up your most interested audiences butt.

Not backwards compatible.
Used games can only be played once a fee has been payed. (I honestly cannot believe the arrogance of this).
Voice and motion controlled media device for your TV - which duplicates many features you're likely to have if you own a smart TV, Sky or a PC. Only with this you'd probably have to pay twice by paying for Xbox live.
Many sports related features - most of which are completely outside the interests of the gamer demographic.

So, me? I didn't own a PS3 but I did own a PS2 and it looks like I'm going back to Play Station. However, it is going to be interesting to see how the gaming industry goes forward. One avenue is about reinvention (X-box One) the other is about building on what has worked previously (PS4).

There is a war coming. Large game developers are losing money and are increasingly using more desperate sales techniques to improve their bottomline. Gamers have thus far complained about Free 2 Play Online games - which works in Asian markets but not necessarily Western ones who like paying subscription. They've complained about Digital Rights Management - Sim City and DLCs, especially day 1 DLCs are now taking the piss (one game attempted to make 'hard mode' a pay via download feature). Losing the ability to play your back catelogue of games from an older console is one thing - this just makes it easier to switch from one manufacturer to another surely? But to prevent a person from playing used games or swapping games with their friends is disgusting and I think that might be the thing that makes gamers snap!

The next few years in the gaming industry is going to be carnage.

Discuss.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    i for one never pay full price for games and tend to pick them up 2nd hand, and when i'm done trade them in

This will be a major sticking point for me. (PS man)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Be interested to see what the Steam box looks like. I'm a recently retired PC gamer and knowing how superior most PC versions of games are this seems like the way forward for me.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Good summary DDD.

I play on PC and X-Box. Been using the X-Box less and less though, mostly just for DVD's at the moment. I'm really surprised they didn't make it backwards compatible. It's even worse given how long the 360 has been going, the catalogue some people will have is immense.

The Sim City debacle was pretty interesting to watch, as I don't play it so wasn't personally annoyed. I agree it's going to be interesting!

Goes off to play minecraft
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Without the ability to buy and sell used games and also lend borrow - I'm not remotely interested in the new console.

Complete show stopper for me.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Daz555 wrote:
    Without the ability to buy and sell used games and also lend borrow - I'm not remotely interested in the new console.

Complete show stopper for me.

Agreed. Was a PS2 customer before, got a PS3 a while back and whilst it's great, was really cheesed off at not being able to play PS2 games on it.

If Microsoft have made same mistake with new Xbox, bigger fool them.

FWIW, we've an XBox 360, PS3 and a Wii in the family, I prefer the PS3 for its all round capabilities and the fact that now I'm separated from my wife, I can use it as CD / DVD/ Blu ray player.

But given the likely huge cost of the new console, I won't be getting one, at least not until PS3 is no longer supported by new games (mainly footie) and/or the price falls a lot. Frankly, Microsoft can suck my fat one, I'll give them as little money as I can possibly avoid.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Not sure where this leaves me really.

I'm not much of a gamer (I have never played online) but I have an Xbox 360 and do have a game on the go most of the time that I pick up now and again when they are cheap in Tesco (never spend more than £15) or as a Bday present (Assassins Creed ties in with my Bday so I generally get the latest one of those which I play over the following few months - that may stop now though as I am a bit bored of the concept).

I am also probably a worst case scenario customer as when a new game comes out that I want to play (Call of Duty etc) then I will just rent it from Blockbuster for £5 and then play it for a few days and return it. Seems crazy to buy them for £45 as they only last around 5-10 hours on single player mode!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • DonDaddyD
    I never buy the first iteration of a new piece of technology (unless its a phone) within the first full year of its product life cycle. The first year irons out the bugs you get when mass producing the product - reference: Xbox 360, red ring of death dodgy motherboard. In fact in the 360's case, which I got a year into it, I should have waited two years. Also the price should have fallen after a year and demand has begun to even out against supply.

To be honest, I was expecting integration between Windows 7/8, Windows tablet, Windows Phone and Xbox One (crap name). I'm just thoroughly disappointed with the gaming industry as whole at the moment.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    it still annoys me that you have to pay for an Xbox (gold) subscription to play online, where you dont on a PS - what gives Mr Gates??!

so on the consoles, you cant lend games to your mates? what about renting a game from Blockbuster or any of that jazz?

i dont think i will be replacing my ye old xbox any time soon
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If you're a gamer you will understand the significance that comes with the release of Microsoft's 8th Generation console.

Yes, absolutely none at all!

jwNj8FZl.png
  • DonDaddyD
    GTA V is out this September on the Xbox 360 and PS3 - it was delayed, and if it is released on the new consoles and not the old ones I am going to rage the likes of which have never been seen.

GTA V is HUGE, if it is launched on the 360/PS3 that's 6 - 12 months gaming on the old consoles up to 24months + should expansion packs be released.
    Food Chain number = 4

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    GTA V is HUGE

Is that the one that glorifies killing, xenophobia, or theft?

Or is it the one that glorifies killing xenomorphs with stolen objects?

I get confused. :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    GTA V is HUGE

Is that the one that glorifies killing, xenophobia, or theft?

Or is it the one that glorifies killing xenomorphs with stolen objects?

I get confused. :wink:

Nope, the more recent edition of the game has gone in a different direction.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Sharkzilla would have them both! FACT
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I just want one that plays games. With the fewest social media interactive bollocks.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I just want one that plays games. With the fewest social media interactive ****.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    JonGinge wrote:
    I just want one that plays games. With the fewest social media interactive ****.
    :D - can I get a re-tweet as well?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • rubertoe
    I got an original X-box if you want it....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    rubertoe wrote:

some of "thems" were quite collectable
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rubertoe
    mudcow007 wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

some of "thems" were quite collectable

Halo edition, all boxed all original controlers and paperwork, sitting in my mums loft collecting dust. :wink:

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'm not that interested in Xbox One, mainly because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Kid's been saving up his pocket money for an x-box.

Buy a 360 now or will they get cheaper?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

They're a better price now than they've ever been.
    They'll be cheaper tomorrow.

It's tech...

I know that's not a particularly useful answer, but they're not about to halve in price because the next gen has been announced, so for the time being they'll just carry on as they are, reducing slowly.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    dhope wrote:

They're a better price now than they've ever been.
    They'll be cheaper tomorrow.

It's tech...

I know that's not a particularly useful answer, but they're not about to halve in price because the next gen has been announced, so for the time being they'll just carry on as they are, reducing slowly.

Fair comment.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I've just had a read of this as the boy wants a new console or something. He wants an Xbox 360 as we currently have an older Xbox. I've told him there is a new one coming out but he thinks he still wants a 360 because of this business about used games and such like.
    However, I have thrown a spanner in the works by suggesting going the PC route. We need a new family PC which will be used by both kids for homework and be the Mrs and me for general stuff.
    He would be happy with either. He does play some games, Minecraft, on the PC already. Would it make more sense to go the PC route? If so what should we get?
    Apologies for what may be daft questions but I'm a bit out of my comfort zone with this stuff.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    PS4 if I had to choose between the two. The Steam box looks interesting - since steam seem to be the only people to get digital distribution right (at least, I haven't had DRM troubles with it, okay I can't resell games but they usually turn up cheap at some point if you're willing to wait a bit, which seems a fair replacement). I used to be a more 'hard' gamer I guess, currently sitting in a pokey student bedsit where space is at a premium so a half-decent laptop was the logical choice. I don't really have time to invest in playing all the latest and greatest games anymore - hell there's still a few Wii games I never finished and still want to.

Hardware that I'm given control over matters more to me - I'm sure Microsoft's TV streaming whatever will be brilliant, provided you use only the content providers who've bunged MS for exclusive rights, who'll in turn charge you through the nose, then five years later move on to the next big thing leaving you with nothing unless you try and find another source, at which point the console says "I'm sorry Dave I can't let you do that". And bricks itself. I really can't excited about hardware like that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    If you can afford it, PC games are the best around.

Used to be a real hardcore PC Gamer - could easily put in 14hrs on a Saturday.

Reality is most people can't afford to buy a whole new gaming machine, and now I'm on my own income, the best I can muster is a console. Also - adult life has a few more distractions so I really don't play it that much anymore.

I therefore came to the console battle quite late long after xbox had won it. Made sense - cheaper console, slightly cheaper games, stronger online settup etc.

The xbox live subscription is hardly bank breaking - £30 a year isn't it?.

I really don't want a console that dominates the room. I'm a casual player now with the occasional binge (i.e. any rockstar or valve game).

Will see how the battle plays out and plump for the winner in 24 months or so - or when 360 games stop being made.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Btw - PS4, 8G of GDDR5 Ram. Xbox is usingDDR3.

PS4 wins that one. for sure - and RAM matters for consoles in my limited experience.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Used games can only be played once a fee has been payed. (I honestly cannot believe the arrogance of this).
    Good summary but this ^ "probably" isn't true:

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/24/xbox- ... d-games-2/
  • SickAsAParrot
    SickAsAParrot Posts: 212
    Neither.

I used to be a PC gamer and never even considered buying a console until I won a 360 on one of those Mcdonalds Monopoly things, which I have now built a fair collection of second hand games for (I have NEVER bought a new game, and never will) including some must-have original X-Box titles (backward compatibility yay!!).

I haven't got much time to play games (because family) so I have literally years of games-in-hand to get through. Recently I was also given an old phat PS2 which I'm also building up a collection of cheap games for (only this saturday I snagged a GTA:Liberty City Stories for £2).

So no, whichever one will actually play s/h games I might end up with sometime in the future but for the forseeable I have no use for either.
  • DonDaddyD
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I've just had a read of this as the boy wants a new console or something. He wants an Xbox 360 as we currently have an older Xbox. I've told him there is a new one coming out but he thinks he still wants a 360 because of this business about used games and such like.
    However, I have thrown a spanner in the works by suggesting going the PC route. We need a new family PC which will be used by both kids for homework and be the Mrs and me for general stuff.
    He would be happy with either. He does play some games, Minecraft, on the PC already. Would it make more sense to go the PC route? If so what should we get?
    Apologies for what may be daft questions but I'm a bit out of my comfort zone with this stuff.

Assuming you can "source" an operating system (Windows 7 64bit) and Microsoft Office, you can build a gaming PC for £500 - £600.

My advice: Build your own PC as 'brands' amount to the box containing the components and the company that employed the person putting your computer together, which usually equates to overpriced for what you get. Me? I use Novatech, they are cheap, helpful and the aftercare is superb as well. I had an issue with a graphics card so I sent it back and the guy called me while the card was in his PC so we carried out a live test to determine the fault. I've got other examples as I've been using them since 2003 and have built two PCs (continually upgraded them) with them. Always used the Barebones bundles and have never had any issues.

Example:
    Barebones Bundle - processor, ram, motherboard and power supply £329 Though I'd be punching for the i5 at £409.

1tb hard drive, 64mb cache,7200rpm £51.98
    I wouldn't choose any smaller than 1terabytes, 7200rpm and as high a cache as possible. This is negated by solid state drives (SSD) but an SSD probably doesn't apply to a family/gaming PC on a budget. There are better hard drives with the same specs, I simply chose the cheapest and it'll do the job.

DVD writer £13.98
    This literally is used to play discs on my PC and to upload music onto my harddrive, with more files being passed digitally (Cloud) and via USB this is going the way of the floppy disc. So as cheap as possible.

SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 £86.99
    I've got the 6770 version I think, I'm happy with mine 8) except it drinks electricity - a little extra money and I'd go with Nvidia and Intel graphics card and processor.

The upgrade incentive: Replace and increase your ram and match it to that of your graphics card. :wink:

Total cost including VAT and delivery: £482.94 with 3-4 days free delivery.

Also your family PC ought to cost more than a new console as it will do more - (or about the same as an Xbox One of suggested costs are to be believed....).

Chuck in a 17inch flat screen monitor for £70 - £100, but you can pick that up from Currys....

That said, I still think the Xbox 360 (more so than the PS4) has a few more years left in its product life cycle, especially if GTA V comes out on it.
    RC wrote:
    The xbox live subscription is hardly bank breaking - £30 a year isn't it?
    This is the kind of thinking that has lead to the situation we are in now. Why pay for a service that you shouldn't have to pay for, when, as a comparison, an online game like Guild Wars 2 (PC) costs £49.99 to play and costs no subscription fee beyond the internet you pay for.

Playstation, Nintendo, the entire MMO market (and my smart TV to a lesser extent*) has already proven that the service can be provided for free and that you shouldn't have to pay a second fee to play games online.

*My TV allows me to access Netflix, iPlayer, 4OD, Youtube, Facebook etc for free. Xbox, I have to pay £30 a year, for the same service.
    Good summary but this ^ "probably" isn't true:

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/24/xbox- ... d-games-2/

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/co ... es-1154398

It would appear there is confusion as to how Microsoft plans to implement a, if at all any, used game policy or even why they have chosen to go this route. What we do know is that games will be installed onto the consoles harddrive, these games will be registered to a users account. Should the games be sold and then resold as used, then there will be the process of deleting the existing registry. The Xbox will update preodically with Microsoft, so perhaps the reregistering will be automated. If not a charge it may be that M$ are attempted to take control of DRM and or track the metrics of the users playing habits - there is a lot I'm not comfortable with.

I'm going to PC Game a lot more.
    Food Chain number = 4