Get ya pub bikes out you slaags

Twelly
Twelly Posts: 1,437
edited May 2013 in Your mountain bikes
The aim was to spend as little as possible and have a bike which was functionally pretty good but looked like a bag of shite to discourage the thieving bastards of Portsmouth. I tried to do this before with a Malt 1 frame but got completely carried away and spent far too much money...

Total spent = £57 (plus lots of bodging, salvaging from other bikes and parts bin)

Yet to cut the steerer, fit a star nut etc but its pretty much there.

P1040045_zps848ba325.jpg
P1040048_zpsd9e464d4.jpg
P1040049_zps9badfa60.jpg
P1040051_zps5c93a0fc.jpg

Custom recycled cube 'lock on' grips ;)
P1040053_zps0f73eb6d.jpg

Frame: Kona Nunu 19"
Forks: Cheapo rigid things off eBay
Bars: cheap flat ones
Stem: FSA 90mm
Headset: Ritchey Comp
Grips: bodged cable tie 'lock ons'
Brakes: Avid V
Shifters: Deore 8spd
Cables: old and rusty
Front Mech: Alivio triple
Rear Mech: Deore 8spd
Seat: Stock thing off a Decathlon bike
Seat Post: came with the frame
Seat Post Clamp: " "
Cranks: Shim Octalink
Chainring(s): triple
Chain: KMC 8spd
Cassette: 8spd
Pedals: Wellgo
Bottom Bracket: Octalink
Wheels: WTB dual duty - de-stickered
Tires: Horrible plastic things which came on my Cube. They have 'Schwalbe Rapid Rob' written on them but this is a lie.
Weight: a surprisingly reasonable 12.8kg

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Nice,
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    nice

err will take some pics..... wait and see...
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Nice one! That orange is still eye catching for the thieves though! Looks nice despite the low budget. Around where i live, that would still got robbed!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Gt, this is why your bike is shite. That is classified as a Pub Bike, yet it's better than yours.
  • Twelly
    Gt, this is why your bike is shite. That is classified as a Pub Bike, yet it's better than yours.

No comment..
  • gt-arrowhead
    TwellySmat wrote:

I genuinely was thinking the same... but do you think i would be riding my crappy arrowhead if i had the chance to get something better?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    TwellySmat wrote:
    The aim was to spend as little as possible and have a bike which was functionally pretty good but looked like a bag of shite to discourage the thieving bastards of Portsmouth.
      and you failed :lol:
      seriously though, even the fecktards who know next to nothing about bike's would steal it just because it has that name on the downtube
      saying that, for £57 thats quite amazing, i wouldn't mind that myself :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • gt-arrowhead
    chez_m356 wrote:
    seriously though, even the fecktards who know next to nothing about bike's would steal it just because it has that name on the downtube

+1!!!
  • Twelly
    Yeah I did think about peeling all the stickers off and whacking it with a chain a few times! Either way, I'd rather lock this up outside the local than my Cube... I will try to thief-proof it a bit more with locking skewers and a proper seat clamp. Shouldn't go far with a meaty D lock attached.

Bear in mind that £57 doesn't include all the bits which were on other bikes and have since been upgraded..
  • gt-arrowhead
    TwellySmat wrote:
    Yeah I did think about peeling all the stickers off and whacking it with a chain a few times! Either way, I'd rather lock this up outside the local than my Cube... I will try to thief-proof it a bit more with locking skewers and a proper seat clamp. Shouldn't go far with a meaty D lock attached.

Bear in mind that £57 doesn't include all the bits which were on other bikes and have since been upgraded..

Id leave as is and do as you said personally. D locks and locking QR etc.

Thieves tend to go for the bikes that are badly locked up, with cables that you can chew through... so you should be fine.
  • Twelly

Thieves tend to go for the bikes that are badly locked up, with cables that you can chew through... so you should be fine.

I learnt this the hard way with my first road bike!
  • gt-arrowhead
    TwellySmat wrote:

I learnt this the hard way with my first road bike!

Must have been gutted! :/

Fortunately the bikes ive lost werent worth fack all, they were all "shopping" bikes. Like unbranded POS or argos bikes etc. D locks are the ones. :wink:
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    so the pub bike, and for transport about my fair city

had an old 1990's kicking about from a mate, even tried to sell the thing on retro and no one wanted it.....
    then I saw those 700c converters for brakes, that made me want to do something with this bike and of course the 1990's need to be part of the build, and it needed to keep theft at bay...

so the wheels got built, something I am good at.......

IMAG0123_zps3beb3784.jpg

700c snowflakes are not that common and I would recognise them the moment I saw them

the rest of the bits are out of the spare bin but what I bought mostly I can get a trade price or as cheap as possible, but you might see frankenbike on your daily commute or down the boozer

IMAG0132_zps920f0e61.jpg

32mm tyres are fast, very fast when on big wheels, if you're used to intense fro and 2.35 inverted tread mtb size treads

the price breakdown: - things I paid for, rest was free
    (£)
    V brake pads - 2.50
    5 speed chain - 2.50
    Grips - 5.00
    Chain ring - 10.00
    single speed kit - 10.00
    Wheels, minus build labour - 52.00
    Mavic Brake Adaptors - 45.00

total - £130, and it seems a lot to look at now....... I do have a good lock...

and again this does not include the parts that were upgraded or my park tools wheel jig (come to think it, after all the pints people have bought me for free work, it could be discounted)
  • gt-arrowhead
    That looks amazing...

You want to keep theft at bay, so you go and build some really sexy rims! :lol:
  • Twelly
    Interesting wheels.

Yes, I was fairly gutted especially as I had just spent £200+ sprucing it up ready for summer...

Anyone else wants to show off their junk bikes feel free. Except you GT. We have seen quite enough of yours.
  • Twelly
    I was referring to the whole collection
  • gt-arrowhead
    I should actually take a photo of my collection of frames and stuff. Youd be staggered at the amount of crap ive got! Cant be asked to throw one together even though i can with all the spares. I dont need anymore at the minute.

Youve only seen my GT havent you though?
  • Chunkers1980
    By collection you mean pieces of shite.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Hence the use of the word crap in the next sentence. I see you liked me road bike Chunkers :lol:

Btw, my GT will undergo a major face lift/upgrade in about a month when my exams are all over...so it wont be junk anymore, youll see!
  • Twelly
    By collection you mean pieces of shite.

GT's Considerable Collection of Pieces of Shite - to give it its full title

Anyway, this thread is in danger of becoming another 6 pages of sh it about motorbikes, which celeb is fittest, emotional scars, teenage relationship issues and that sodding GT.

On with the pub bikes please
  • gt-arrowhead
    Haha. Right you are.

How much did you pay for your Nunu? Seen but one before, so im guessing they are rare?
  • Twelly
    edited May 2013
    Not sure if rare or not, didn't really care what brand/model the frame was, I just put an ad out for a cheap, battered frame with a proper sized headtube and V brake mounts.

A nice chap in Bracknell approached me with his Nunu...

I gave £25 for frame, seat post and clamp
  • gt-arrowhead
    Wow, not bad at all! Im going to making a Raleigh retro pub bike, ill upload it here when i finish it :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wow, not bad at all! Im going to making a Raleigh retro pub bike, ill upload it here when i finish it :)

maybe you should concentrate on building the GT chucker more first?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And wait until you are old enough to drink......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous

does anyone ride a bike to the pub

that's the most stupid idea ive heard

when I come out the pub I have problems walking let alone cycling.

you can go to the pub any age. jus cant drink to your 18
  • Chunkers1980
    I do. Very often, hence why we have this genre of bikes.

And you can drink when you're under 18, you need to have food and an adult.
  • Anonymous
    I do. Very often, hence why we have this genre of bikes.

And you can drink when you're under 18, you need to have food and an adult.

don't you have problems cycling back after having quite a few to drink

used to be a pint with your meal at 16 but not sure if they changed it since. :shock:
  • gt-arrowhead

:lol: You know what i mean though, just called it a pub bike so people arent like "whats he on about?"

I do have an occasional drink, but obviously not a a pub.