Boardman Air Pro Internal Cable Drama

124»

Comments

• scottydunk
    scottydunk Posts: 3
    Looking good PAL, mibbe see it in the flesh tonight then eh ;)
  • Proz
    Proz Posts: 136
    Not tonight pal ... have to dump some work clothes there first .... may bring it in the car for a bit of cleaning etc .
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    like the suitcase, I mean saddlebag :P
  • Proz
    paul_mck wrote:
    like the suitcase, I mean saddlebag :P

It does look big in that picture lol ... its narrower than the saddle though :?
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    just jabbin man, I think because the saddle is low and the frame small etc it looks massive :)
  • betocha
    betocha Posts: 2
    It looks like there been dust / grit / water gone down the very small exit hole for the front derailleur and must have solidified after a while.
    I don't know how long the frames been sat possibly without a cable in it so must have solidified over time.
    I thought it was never going to clear but at last its done ... I had given up but d4eva kept poking away.
    Guide tube flooded with WD40 and cable worked back and forth till the gunge coming out was clear.
    We used a thin wire just thinner than a gear cable but strong enough to take a good ramming and bend round the tube . The braising rod just couldn't bend enough .
    Anyway job done and thanks again to everyone that posted .

WOW!!!! you know... I have like 4 days, trying with the same problem... after 3 days searching in all bike forums, youtube, etc you are the first person I found, that was able to fix it!... 2 years ago!!!! ... lol... 2015... I have the same issue!.. so depressed i was thinking I will have to put my frame to the garbage, but this post just give me a new hope!!... When I read your explanations it was like describing the exact same thing happening to me right now... do you know of some stronger liquid than the WD40 to dissolve dirt ???? and does not damage the frame?

definitely I will keep trying!! 8) 8)
    thanks!
  • betocha
    betocha Posts: 2
    by the way... greetings from Costa Rica!... excuse my english :P
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Great story, great result, PAL's the man!!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    do you know of some stronger liquid than the WD40 to dissolve dirt ????

Plusgas is a much better penetrating fluid.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Proz
    It looks like there been dust / grit / water gone down the very small exit hole for the front derailleur and must have solidified after a while.
    I don't know how long the frames been sat possibly without a cable in it so must have solidified over time.
    I thought it was never going to clear but at last its done ... I had given up but d4eva kept poking away.
    Guide tube flooded with WD40 and cable worked back and forth till the gunge coming out was clear.
    We used a thin wire just thinner than a gear cable but strong enough to take a good ramming and bend round the tube . The braising rod just couldn't bend enough .
    Anyway job done and thanks again to everyone that posted .

WOW!!!! you know... I have like 4 days, trying with the same problem... after 3 days searching in all bike forums, youtube, etc you are the first person I found, that was able to fix it!... 2 years ago!!!! ... lol... 2015... I have the same issue!.. so depressed i was thinking I will have to put my frame to the garbage, but this post just give me a new hope!!... When I read your explanations it was like describing the exact same thing happening to me right now... do you know of some stronger liquid than the WD40 to dissolve dirt ???? and does not damage the frame?

definitely I will keep trying!! 8) 8)
    thanks!

Ive just come across my posts again.
    We used a peice of wire that was thinner than a brake cable but was less flexible than brake cable so it could take a lot of pushing on it .
    Brake and gear cables flexed to much to allow enough force to be used .
    I think we soaked it in wd40 it similar for days before we broke through .... i then filled the internal route with wd40 and allowed it to run out which brought out all the sand / grit which had caused the blockage.
    For the life of me i cannot remember what the cable we used was ... it was thinner than brake or gear cable .... it may well have been a 1mm braising rod??
    I hope you get it sorted though .

Good Luck .
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • Hello Proz

I have just read through your post about problems installing the front derailleur gear cable due to the frame being blocked.

I have a recently had a similar problem where its hard to shift into the larger chain ring. After I disconnected the cable from the front derailleur I could still move the cable in and out of the frame but I could hear dirt and grit getting grinded up and down the down tube.

I'm planning on removing the cable and blasting out the dirt and grit with some cleaner and an airline. However before I removed the cable I wanted to check if there was an internal tube that routes the cable inside the frame? I assume it bends around above the bottom bracket and then up the down tube to the point where it exits. Do you have any recommendations, I really like the frame so want to get it back to its best.

Regards Adrian
  • Proz
    Hello Proz

I have just read through your post about problems installing the front derailleur gear cable due to the frame being blocked.

I have a recently had a similar problem where its hard to shift into the larger chain ring. After I disconnected the cable from the front derailleur I could still move the cable in and out of the frame but I could hear dirt and grit getting grinded up and down the down tube.

I'm planning on removing the cable and blasting out the dirt and grit with some cleaner and an airline. However before I removed the cable I wanted to check if there was an internal tube that routes the cable inside the frame? I assume it bends around above the bottom bracket and then up the down tube to the point where it exits. Do you have any recommendations, I really like the frame so want to get it back to its best.

Regards Adrian

Hi ...
    I assume there is some sort of tube / guide for the cable to run in.
    I flooded it by squirting in WD40 or similar down the tubes until it was coming out the hole near the front derailleur. I left it sitting for a while then turned frame upside down so all the liquid and gunk came out.
    I only had the fame at the time with no other components on it so it was easy to turn upside down .... I also kept pushing a length of cable through till no more grit etc came out.
    Took 2 or 3 repeats but eventually it was nice and clear.
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • I'm having similar problems with my Air 9.0 - trying to build up a list of people that have had similar problems.

Grateful for any feedback.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I'm having similar problems with my Air 9.0 - trying to build up a list of people that have had similar problems.

Grateful for any feedback.

I reckon you should sue for damages, not just a new frame but costs for your efforts and some sort of punitive award too. theres too many people being ripped off. Also you should insit on the designer being dragged naked through the streets and hung drawn and quartered.