Boardman Air Pro Internal Cable Drama

Comments

• Proz
    Proz Posts: 136
    Good News Update
    We have finally broken through. The cable guide as I suspected was full of sand and grit which must have solidified.
    My good PAL d4ever persistently worked away and all of a sudden it was through. Only took 4 days but hopefully it'll be worth it.

Thanks for everyone's input in this saga.
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Great news!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Dont ya just love a happy ending...... :wink:
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    This has made my day.
  • Proz
    This has made my day.

Its brightened mine up considerably as well :D
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • Proz
    It looks like there been dust / grit / water gone down the very small exit hole for the front derailleur and must have solidified after a while.
    I don't know how long the frames been sat possibly without a cable in it so must have solidified over time.
    I thought it was never going to clear but at last its done ... I had given up but d4eva kept poking away.
    Guide tube flooded with WD40 and cable worked back and forth till the gunge coming out was clear.
    We used a thin wire just thinner than a gear cable but strong enough to take a good ramming and bend round the tube . The braising rod just couldn't bend enough .
    Anyway job done and thanks again to everyone that posted .
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Glad to help PAL. Just needed a little bit of caressing to loosen her up. :wink:
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    excellent news PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL PAL :)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Excellent news! Really glad you got it sorted. Now I want to see pics of the bike built and ready to ride :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Aren't you glad you didn't just chuck it in the bin now?

I'm pleased you managed to get it sorted out in the end.
  • Proz
    Yes I am glad I didn't bin it but it was really close.
    Next drama will be getting the bottom bracket changed for new bearings and to figure out how I can put a shimano ultegra chainset on it. I believe shimano ultegra groupset isnt compatible with press fit ?
    Im new to bike maintenance so not clued up yet
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • paul_mck
    you can fit threaded adapters into a BB30 frame to use a regular english BB.
  • Proz
    paul_mck wrote:
    you can fit threaded adapters into a BB30 frame to use a regular english BB.

Ive not really done much on bikes and all this bottom bracket stuff im struggling to understand lol.
    I was going to order the ultegra groupset for this bike till I found out its not compatible with the press fit in it just now.
    I may have to put it in a local bike shop to do this for me. I dont have the tools to press anything in and I'll assume the bike shop will know how to convert this so I can use ultegra chainrings.
    Pity cause I like that satisfaction when you do things yourself.
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • paul_mck
    if youve not got a chainset yet then DEFO get a proper BB30 one.
  • Proz
    paul_mck wrote:
    if youve not got a chainset yet then DEFO get a proper BB30 one.
    I was going to go Ultegra 6700 with Hollowtech II till i found out the HH2 wont fit with press fit.
    I'll neet to get whats in the frame just now out anyway as they feel a bit rough but I'd like to know how i can fire the Ultegra in the bottom bracket , ie what parts I'd need.
    I think there are adapters from pressfit to Hollowtech but im sure the bearings there just now are shot so they'll be coming out .
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • paul_mck
    personally Id only go for the adapters if I already had an expensive chainset. You might as well keep the BB30, pop some new bearings in and either keep whats in it, or get a nicer chainset.

A nice BB30 FSA chainset would be dead on, if Shimano dont offer one.
  • d4evr
    Looks like this and the newer version came with Ultegra and the FSA Energy chain set PAL. I agree with others I'd pick something that did not require an adaptor.
  • Proz
    d4evr wrote:
    Looks like this and the newer version came with Ultegra and the FSA Energy chain set PAL. I agree with others I'd pick something that did not require an adaptor.

Ok the decisions are made ... the BB30 bearings in it just now are shot so....
    With the help and advice of my LBS were going to change the bearings and put in the adaptors so I can fit the Ultegra 6700 groupset . I don't have the tools to do the pressfit bearings.
    I know that may well not go down well with some but it'll make it easier for me to finish the bike off ... ie I just order the groupset and that's everything I need.
    I was looking earlier on to today for the FSA Energy chainset originally fitted and its around £200 new then factor in buying the rest of the new ultegra stuff minus the chainset.
    The costs just don't add up and I would have been as well just buying the bike new.
    It'll be easier for me to just be able to order the complete ultegra groupset complete for around £600 and that's it ... everything I need minus good wheels which will be done after the bikes on the road.
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • d4evr
    Proz wrote:
    d4evr wrote:

Ok the decisions are made ... the BB30 bearings in it just now are shot so....
    With the help and advice of my LBS were going to change the bearings and put in the adaptors so I can fit the Ultegra 6700 groupset . I don't have the tools to do the pressfit bearings.
    I know that may well not go down well with some but it'll make it easier for me to finish the bike off ... ie I just order the groupset and that's everything I need.
    I was looking earlier on to today for the FSA Energy chainset originally fitted and its around £200 new then factor in buying the rest of the new ultegra stuff minus the chainset.
    The costs just don't add up and I would have been as well just buying the bike new.
    It'll be easier for me to just be able to order the complete ultegra groupset complete for around £600 and that's it ... everything I need minus good wheels which will be done after the bikes on the road.

Sounds fair enough PAL. What with all this "bike buying" etc going on at work by all the newbies I was feeling left out, so I have treated myself to some nice new pedals for the summer bike and lovely new shoes to compliment them too! :D
  • Proz
    Quite right PAL ... got to treat yourself now and then, after all there's no pockets in a shroud.
    I have just this very moment ordered the groupset ... hopefully here on Friday although the bearings etc not able to be done till middle of next week.
    Donk Donk !!
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    My SLR has the same BB. Ultegra fits the internal BB30 as a double but not as a compact. I wanted a compact and went for Force 2013 (the same as 2012 Red). It was all factory fitted and is quite a bit lighter than Ultegra, with beautiful carbon cranks.

It is a lovely cogset to ride with and to look at so worth considering, unless your heart is set on an Ultegra chainring.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • TheCoo'sTail
    TheCoo'sTail Posts: 113
    Hiya PAL, had to change my name (Long Story). See ya PAL!
    At the erse end o' a coo!
  • Proz
    Hiya PAL, had to change my name (Long Story). See ya PAL!

Hi PAL .....
    Heres the bike .... been very busy today
    20130521_183608_zpsd9e7cde1.jpg

Notice anything missing ..... Bloody tyres never turned up today .
    Its the only thing left to go on ... no point putting scabby old tyres on it .

20130521_184300_zpsa69172dd.jpg
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    Lovely !! bit dissapointed though at first look I thought you had some fab new ultra low profile weight saving tyre system. Still lovely bike :D
  • TheCoo'sTail
    Looking good PAL. Take the seat pack off and clamp it on the stem though! Once it's complete, stick it on Your Road Bikes, and follow the rules!! ;-)

Oh and change down a gear or two (I think, eyesight is going lol)
  • Proz
    Looking good PAL. Take the seat pack off and clamp it on the stem though! Once it's complete, stick it on Your Road Bikes, and follow the rules!! ;-)

Oh and change down a gear or two (I think, eyesight is going lol)

Ahh its not actually clamped or the clamp isn't closed ... its just kind of balancing.
    The chain is just like that as I had just finished taking out some links and putting in the missing link ... I'll slip it down a cog at the front.

Whats the rules on "Your Road Bike" ?
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • TheCoo'sTail
    A layout template
    by whyamihere » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:07 pm

Unceremoniously stolen from the MTB bit

Pics:

Frame:
    Forks:
    Bars:
    Stem:
    Headset:
    Bar Tape:

Front Brake Lever:
    Front Caliper:
    Rear Brake Lever:
    Rear Caliper:

Shifters:
    Cables:
    Front Mech:
    Rear Mech:

Seat:
    Seat Post:
    Seat Post Clamp:

Cranks:
    Chainring(s):
    Chain:
    Cassette:
    Pedals:
    Bottom Bracket:

Front Wheel:
    Rim:
    Spokes:
    Hub:
    Tube:
    Tire:

Back Wheel:
    Rim:
    Spokes:
    Hub:
    Tube:
    Tire:

Accessories:

Weight:

Other info:
  • Proz
    Just had my first ride out on the bike now its finished ... just a very small ride .
    More just to check things are working. A bit of chain rub to try and dial out but otherwise all seemed fine.
    Feels very light and fast .
    Boardman AiRPro C
    Boardman FS Team 650b
  • TheCoo'sTail
    That should cut down the commute time!! ;-)