Rally boffins...

Comments

• Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Gazlar wrote:
    While I agree with you, The hemi avenger does sound so sweet, and kudos to anyone that can get it round a rally track, the length of them I struggle to get it around Tesco's car park

Almost all muscle cars are massive, thats what makes them so attractive to look at, and your right about the sound. Ive only seen a few avengers before, lovely cars. I remember standing next to the rear wheel of that red `70 camaro and thinking "fuuuuck me that rear wheel and tyre are HUGE!"

Was fortunate enough to see a new Challenger be the first car at a set of lights. He put his foot down went it went green. The sound was orgasmically beautiful!!!

The challengers are such sexy cars, but from what I read in Dodge forums, so unreliable, but like that would put me off. Theres not many Avengers about as they only imported the rhd versions for just over a year, The weird thing is I have one of the ex demos that were supplied to dealers with stripes and there was another near identical one in Wolverhampton when I lived there.
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Man i wish i could see a car of that sort in the flesh. The closest ive got is seeing a Morgan that looks vaguely like that, wire wheels and that same curvy body style.

It was a beautiful thing, and an absolute brute. It's a 1958 Sadler MkII, with a 327 cui small block Chevy motor. He had it sideways round Lodge every lap, you can see the opposite lock he's got on the wheel in the picture. There was all kind of motors, from 100 years old up to 1970s stuff, and it was great to see old cars like that being raced hard, rather than paraded. They were driving them hard, and sometimes getting it wrong:

This guy got away with it, and rejoined the race:

DSC_3361copy402ppi24x16_zpsc975c140.jpg

This guy didn't:

DSC_5039_zps2c43aeb3.jpg

DSC_5060_zps7d246750.jpg
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Gazlar wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    While I agree with you, The hemi avenger does sound so sweet, and kudos to anyone that can get it round a rally track, the length of them I struggle to get it around Tesco's car park

Almost all muscle cars are massive, thats what makes them so attractive to look at, and your right about the sound. Ive only seen a few avengers before, lovely cars. I remember standing next to the rear wheel of that red `70 camaro and thinking "fuuuuck me that rear wheel and tyre are HUGE!"

Was fortunate enough to see a new Challenger be the first car at a set of lights. He put his foot down went it went green. The sound was orgasmically beautiful!!!

The challengers are such sexy cars, but from what I read in Dodge forums, so unreliable, but like that would put me off. Theres not many Avengers about as they only imported the rhd versions for just over a year, The weird thing is I have one of the ex demos that were supplied to dealers with stripes and there was another near identical one in Wolverhampton when I lived there.

The old challengers look alot better though IMO. But the new one is still sexy. Classic will always be better for me.

Nice, probably wont lose its value in that case. :wink:

The reliability wouldnt put me of either. :lol:
  • gt-arrowhead
    Man i wish i could see a car of that sort in the flesh. The closest ive got is seeing a Morgan that looks vaguely like that, wire wheels and that same curvy body style.

It was a beautiful thing, and an absolute brute. It's a 1958 Sadler MkII, with a 327 cui small block Chevy motor. He had it sideways round Lodge every lap, you can see the opposite lock he's got on the wheel in the picture. There was all kind of motors, from 100 years old up to 1970s stuff, and it was great to see old cars like that being raced hard, rather than paraded. They were driving them hard, and sometimes getting it wrong:

This guy got away with it, and rejoined the race:

DSC_3361copy402ppi24x16_zpsc975c140.jpg

This guy didn't:

DSC_5039_zps2c43aeb3.jpg

DSC_5060_zps7d246750.jpg

Id kill to see a race of that sort. Very unlucky for that guy that went over the wall though...

That first car looks like Brum from noddy or whatever the hell its called. Dont ask me how i remember, lol!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:

The old challengers look alot better though IMO. But the new one is still sexy. Classic will always be better for me.

Nice, probably wont lose its value in that case. :wink:

The reliability wouldnt put me of either. :lol:

Oh believe me they do lose their value. I bought mine 6 months old 5 years ago with every extra on it for 14 grand less than the brand new price. You can get one now for a few grand
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • gt-arrowhead
    What!? It depreciated that badly?! Thats surprising. Especially if you got it with all the extras.
  • gt-arrowhead
    I love the Lancia Delta so much. Lucky enough to have seen one on the road. The guy driving it looked like a pikey, and he did a u turn in it right infront of me, so i got quite a nice look at it.
    3fb92img_1078-jpg_zps946fc468.jpg
    modp_0911_01_o1990_lancia_delta_integrale_16vfront_view_zpsf1d768d4.jpg
    images_zps04ca13e2.jpg
  • Gazlar
    What!? It depreciated that badly?! Thats surprising. Especially if you got it with all the extras.

Yep Dodge chrysler jeep were up cack alley, nobody was buying and as such prices plummeted
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • gt-arrowhead
    Gazlar wrote:

Yep Dodge chrysler jeep were up cack alley, nobody was buying and as such prices plummeted

You never really see those makes on the road often, but i thought that less common cars depreciate less. Turns out not.

On the topic of american cars, have you noticed how many more Chevrolets you see on the road now as compared to 2-3 years back? Much more common now.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar wrote:

You never really see those makes on the road often, but i thought that less common cars depreciate less. Turns out not.

On the topic of american cars, have you noticed how many more Chevrolets you see on the road now as compared to 2-3 years back? Much more common now.

Depreciation isnt really a factor in how common the car is, They imported the avenger and couldnt shift it, I remember when I bought mine D/C/J had far too many imported that they couldnt sell, so they instructed a web based retailer (think it was broadspeed if I remember right) to move on the stock of their 2.1 petrol automatic avengers, which they were doing at list price, buy one get one free.

Chevvy though are building a customer base and doing reasonably priced decent spec cars to rival the likes of Kia and Hyundai, but obviously as its only been in the last 8 years that they bought out Daewoo, it takes time to get their own proper models into production and sale and then popularity. Mrs G has a Chevvy spark which is a lovely little car, although it cost me more to buy brand new than my Avenger did 6 months old
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • gt-arrowhead
    Chevy Sparks do look pretty nice. I dont like the front end though, its those girly sort of lights. But the rear end with the tail lights is really really nice. My favourite small chevy has got to be the Aveo. Its a bit of a looker. My mum was about to buy one then my dad found her a Honda Jazz that she went for instead. The Aveo RS looks stunning, but i havent seen one in the flesh, only in pictures.
  • Gazlar
    The new one looks good with its camaro based front. The old one looked odd
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Kowalski675

Well if you like the original Challenger then you should know where I took my forum name from...
  • Kowalski675

Id kill to see a race of that sort. Very unlucky for that guy that went over the wall though...

Get thasen to Oulton Park then (although I'm sure there's meetings a lot closer to you, Brands Hatch probably). It was a race meeting of the Vintage Sports Car Club, I went to two of their meetings that summer, and both were good entertainment. You didn't need to kill anyone, just pay about ten quid to the people at the entrance, lol (been to British Superbikes at Oulton too, it's a great track). It was unlucky for me too, being looking in teh wrong direction when he lost it - I heard the tyres slide and turned round just in time to see him go into the wall, but not in time to zoom in and get a bit better pic (although my lens wasn't long enough anyway really).
    That first car looks like Brum from noddy or whatever the hell its called. Dont ask me how i remember, lol!

It was an Austin A10, if I remeber right. Certainly not the fastest or sexiest motor there, but I was pleased with the picture (nice of him to lose it in front of me, lol).
  • Kowalski675
    My mum was about to buy one then my dad found her a Jazz that she went for instead.

And it was only one letter away from what she really wanted...
  • gt-arrowhead

Well if you like the original Challenger then you should know where I took my forum name from...

It looks russian to me. Purely because of the "ski" LOL.

Where did you get your name from? Im guessing its from one of those old muscle car advertising films if you know what i mean. Aint seen any of them.
  • gt-arrowhead
    My mum was about to buy one then my dad found her a Jazz that she went for instead.

And it was only one letter away from what she really wanted...

Haha :lol: I put "Honda Jazz" and not just "Jazz" to make sure no one says that...but i forgot you can just edit it. :lol:
  • Kowalski675

Where did you get your name from? Im guessing its from one of those old muscle car advertising films if you know what i mean. Aint seen any of them.

I despair, do the youth of today know nothing, lol?... As DJ Super Soul put it, Kowalski is "the last American hero to whom speed means freedom of the soul"...

Get yourself an education in one of the all time classic road movies (and not the 1997 remake):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067927/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykML3KELRF8

Dodge remember Kowalski:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/feat ... i_edition/
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I love the Lancia Delta so much. Lucky enough to have seen one on the road. The guy driving it looked like a pikey, and he did a u turn in it right infront of me, so i got quite a nice look at it.
    3fb92img_1078-jpg_zps946fc468.jpg
    modp_0911_01_o1990_lancia_delta_integrale_16vfront_view_zpsf1d768d4.jpg
    images_zps04ca13e2.jpg
    RHD ones suck.

shame that the last one I saw went up in flames. Genuine LHD been taken for a last spin before the buyer collected it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    spose i should drag this picture out again.

img1213ax7.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    not a rally car but

img0139fp.jpg
  • gt-arrowhead

I despair, do the youth of today know nothing, lol?... As DJ Super Soul put it, Kowalski is "the last American hero to whom speed means freedom of the soul"...

Get yourself an education in one of the all time classic road movies (and not the 1997 remake):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067927/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykML3KELRF8

Dodge remember Kowalski:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/feat ... i_edition/
    Ill give it a look. :lol: Cheers.
  • gt-arrowhead
    nicklouse wrote:
    not a rally car but

img0139fp.jpg

Thats a spyker is it not? Nice car.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    how would you know... you can't drive?
  • nicklouse
  • gt-arrowhead

Since when do you have to drive to know what a car is, and say it looks nice?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594

Since when do you have to drive to know what a car is, and say it looks nice?

Said nice car, not looks nice. :p

Crash was a bit epic, got away just a bit bloody lucky mind.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    So you can't have any opinion on any car you haven't driven? So you have no more of a right to an opinion on it than him, since you haven't driven one...
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    Just last weekend there was a stage rally at the old RAF air field the other side the valley, usually one a year but never advertised, was a lovely day with little wind so was able to sit int he garden fixing a friends bike listening to the Cars down the straight into the corners, popping away, before Hard acceleration away, Bloody fantastic! one of two turbo's with anti lag sounds,

probable 10 years + ago the good lady and i were in Truro when they had the start of the Rally Cornwall there, was like a kid in a toy shop with a bag full of sweets!!! plenty of 6r4's, Cossies, old school fords, pugs, a few evo's and scooby's, petrol heads dream day loL!

have a huge soft spot for the delta integralle, is a bit of the era of the 200 cars homologation period where they underestimated the Demand for such cars! As nick siad a while back though, with the cost of fuel now to have one as anything other than a toy is a Very expensive past time,

www.speedhunters.com often do historic rally coverage and stage events, get some fantastic pictures from there,
    http://www.speedhunters.com/category/ev ... allycross/
    most specifically
    http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/02/ral ... ace-retro/
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481