Sky - internal strife - Froome vs Wiggins

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    I don't think Froome has the same level of self confidence. Whilst Brad is close to him on GC he will be looking over his shoulder and will want to increase his lead to ensure he isn't pipped at the final TT.

Perhaps... Froome attacking Brad, Brad dieselling back to Froome, but dragging Richie with him, who attacks for the Win?
    Rich
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I think Froome is emotionally unstable. He will crack in the coming weeks and go off on a massive tantrum.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    At least there's always a chance to see Froome's missus go bonanza if the race itself is a another let down.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I think Froome is emotionally unstable. He will crack in the coming weeks and go off on a massive tantrum.
    Really? I get the opposite impression - far calmer and better suited to the pressure than Wiggins.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549

He's already shown the first sign of weakness. There was no need to respond to Wiggins' comments at all. I don't think he's getting the best advice.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

He's already shown the first sign of weakness. There was no need to respond to Wiggins' comments at all. I don't think he's getting the best advice.

This. What Wiggo said yesterday is what he's been saying all year, nothing new at all. The fact that Froome replied at all shows a lack of confidence.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    r0bh wrote:

This. What Wiggo said yesterday is what he's been saying all year, nothing new at all. The fact that Froome replied at all shows a lack of confidence.

Froome is a cold-eyed killer who already has a Grandparent liquidation to his name*. He's been riding like a boss all year and is the stand-out favourite as things stand. It would be perverse for Sky not to fully back their number 1 rider. Assuming Wiggins is in decent shape coming out of the Giro (win or not) he should be told that he can fight for second, but under no circumstances will he be allowed to tow Alberto, J-Rod... back to an attacking Froome. It's then up to Froome to protect himself against Wiggins' TT.

*According to the sometimes well-informed RichmondRacer
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ...which is how it will play out...

His grannie's name was Agnes btw. Lovely lady. Had to be sacrificed for the win at Tour of Oman.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Granparent Liquidation? Am I missing something?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    The missus is erupting on twitter as we speak.
  • Richmond Racer

I somewhat scurrilously suggested that he'd kill his granny for a win
  • inkyfingers

I somewhat scurrilously suggested that he'd kill his granny for a win

He must have run out of grannies now, so money on Wiggins for the Tour.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    ThomThom wrote:

Indeed

Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 25m
    To those claiming that this Wiggins/Froome thing is some sort of publicity stunt, you are wrong.
    Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 24m
    I look forward to @TeamSky clearing up this mess (ASAP) #fedup

Thing is I do feel for her & Froomie, but puts Sky in a tough position what can they say? The can't clear things up in fairness till nearer the race when both riders have done their training and we know what sort of form they have etc
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Macaloon
    He must have run out of grannies now, so money on Wiggins for the Tour.

He offed both of them? Oh my...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Froome: "I'm here to win races and kill grannies. And I'm all out of grannies"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Froome is a cold-eyed killer who already has a Grandparent liquidation to his name*. He's been riding like a boss all year and is the stand-out favourite as things stand. It would be perverse for Sky not to fully back their number 1 rider. Assuming Wiggins is in decent shape coming out of the Giro (win or not) he should be told that he can fight for second, but under no circumstances will he be allowed to tow Alberto, J-Rod... back to an attacking Froome. It's then up to Froome to protect himself against Wiggins' TT.

*According to the sometimes well-informed RichmondRacer

Correct. Wiggins is doing a great job motivating Froome, I wonder if Peters has put him up to this. But if Sky ride for Wiggins, they need a slap. Froome first, Wiggins second, unless circumstances intervene. Still, sells column inches, so Murdoch happy...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    edited April 2013
    Why ? If Wiggins can prove himself stronger why ride for Froome ? What Wiggins is saying makes sense - support the stronger rider - now whether he really intends to accept that if it isn't him is another matter - but if he wins the Giro in style and holds form he probably has a better claim to be team leader than Froome.

As for who handles pressure better - I can't see any evidence of either having a suspect temperament. Wiggins may appear to need careful handling but in his career he's generally delivered what he's aimed at.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • inkyfingers
    RichN95 wrote:
    Froome: "I'm here to win races and kill grannies. And I'm all out of grannies"

Brilliant, shame that wouldn't fit on a Sky jersey.
  • Macaloon
    Correct. Wiggins is doing a great job motivating Froome, I wonder if Peters has put him up to this. But if Sky ride for Wiggins, they need a slap. Froome first, Wiggins second, unless circumstances intervene. Still, sells column inches, so Murdoch happy...

He's also doing a great job of diverting attention away from his Giro prospects, and handing Froome the Tour's pressure cooker. I think this is fair enough given the events of last year: Froome doing the minimum to defuse the 'strongest rider' imbroglio. I seriously doubt we'll see any more than media handbags. Pity.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    ThomThom wrote:

Indeed

Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 25m
    To those claiming that this Wiggins/Froome thing is some sort of publicity stunt, you are wrong.
    Michelle Cound ‏@michellecound 24m
    I look forward to @TeamSky clearing up this mess (ASAP) #fedup

Thing is I do feel for her & Froomie, but puts Sky in a tough position what can they say? The can't clear things up in fairness till nearer the race when both riders have done their training and we know what sort of form they have etc

No reason for Sky to do anything in terms of clearing this up. Both riders work for the team. Wiggins has his work set out for the giro. If he flunks that then there is no debate. If he performs well and comes out strong, then Sur Dave will make a decision at last possible moment a la Hoy/Kenny for Olympic sprint.

IMHO Froome will get the nod but he is showing weakness. He needs to shut up, and request she does the same.
  • There's a hint of 2008 vintage Cuddles insecurity about Froome that runs through all this.

Possibly as a consequence of winning a stage race of any consequence until last weekend.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited April 2013
    Wiggins is in the process, or has just completed, a switch of management agents – the first of his pro career, I believe – and I suspect all this hot air may be simply livening up the atmosphere as part of a strategy to maximize income in the final years of his career.
    XIX Entertainment has established a niche working with a small number of individual sportsmen who it believes can establish similar profiles to that enjoyed by Beckham.

In Beckham, Hamilton and Murray XIX sees an opportunity to build profiles for the athletes beyond their natural sporting base.

Through selective endorsement deals and a deliberate strategy they try and establish their clients as icons, something Wiggins has already achieved courtesy of his feats on two wheels.
    When's his Sky contract up for renewal? I believe he signed a 4 year one in 2009, didn't he?

No-one can do the modern day Giro-Tour double without massive good fortune or doses of rocket fuel. It reeks of putting himself in the shop window IMO.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    You cannot publicly attack and undermine your team leader in 2012 during the race, then command total commitment and respect from that same rider in return 12 months later.

Wiggins has the Kahuna's to aire his views himself and directly through the media channels. As opposed to Froome who uses his Misses as a mouthpiece to what he is really thinking through Twitter.

Both as bad as each other and will make for an interesting race.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Can't see much of a change from last year tactics. Weather Froome likes the high tempo or not, he has shown that he can live with it and attack off it, something his rivals can't do as well. Why would sky pick a tactic that suits his rivals?

All I can see changing is order in the train with Froome last, and then its down to him to make the time on Wiggo. I'm hoping for Wiggo to be wearing yellow going into the last 3 mtn stages will make for some good stages.

Think Richie Porte could be in the top 5. Won't bet against a sky 1,2,3
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    I would expect that with the lack of any sprinters Sky will protect both Froome and Wiggins and see how the wind blows as the race progresses
  • Cogidubnus wrote:
    I would expect that with the lack of any sprinters Sky will protect both Froome and Wiggins and see how the wind blows as the race progresses

Exactly this. They managed perfectly well last year with two podium riders AND a sprinter to protect AND a man down. They even got grief off twitter for being too powerful in that situation.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Richmond Racer
  • Why ? If Wiggins can prove himself stronger why ride for Froome ? What Wiggins is saying makes sense - support the stronger rider - now whether he really intends to accept that if it isn't him is another matter - but if he wins the Giro in style and holds form he probably has a better claim to be team leader than Froome.

As for who handles pressure better - I can't see any evidence of either having a suspect temperament. Wiggins may appear to need careful handling but in his career he's generally delivered what he's aimed at.

When was the last time an clean rider did the double? Probably never. Wiggins has to be the B plan for the Tour, not the A plan. Anything else would be madness, even if their form looks equal at the beginning of the Tour. Froome should be given every psychological edge he needs by Sky. This is course, might be part of that. If it isn't, Wiggins is pissing into the tent a little bit...
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    IF, IF Wiggo wins the Giro does it make a Tour challenge more, or less likely? :?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Daz555 wrote:
    IF, IF Wiggo wins the Giro does it make a Tour challenge more, or less likely? :?

I don't think it changes anything..

If he doesn't win then he wants to win a GT this year.

If he does win then he wants to become a double winning legend of the sport.